Agree? 40gb PS3 should be able to do all stuff the 80gb can.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grant4500neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 grant4500neo
Member since 2007 • 225 Posts
i think it should i know they are trying to sell the 80gb, but the 40gb not being able to do all the stuff the 80gb can, like reverse compatibility and stuff, is hurting their sales
DocBullfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DocBullfrog
Member since 2002 • 37 Posts
The reason it is cheaper is because they got rid of the compatability chip. Give it time they will patch it but if you want to play the ps2 games then get an older one. That is why they are more expensive. And when you think about it comparable to the xbox360 with what the ps3 comes with standard. With the 360 you have to buy all those parts seperate.
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#3 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts
hurting sales??? the ps3 has had a huge sale burst since the 40gb came out the ps3 is selling better than ever and most sales are the 40gb
grant4500neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 grant4500neo
Member since 2007 • 225 Posts

their 80gb sales

and can you buy the pars so the 40gb can play ps2 games

BrianC6234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BrianC6234
Member since 2002 • 245 Posts

i think it should i know they are trying to sell the 80gb, but the 40gb not being able to do all the stuff the 80gb can, like reverse compatibility and stuff, is hurting their salesgrant4500neo

What? Are you just one of those Sony bashers or something? From all the reports the 40GB PS3 is selling great. And so is the 80GB. People have a choice right now. For people too cheap to pay the full price you can buy a 40GB model. You need to play PS2 games? Play them on your PS2. That still works you know.

BrianC6234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BrianC6234

i think it should i know they are trying to sell the 80gb, but the 40gb not being able to do all the stuff the 80gb can, like reverse compatibility and stuff, is hurting their salesgrant4500neo

What? Are you just one of those Sony bashers or something? From all the reports the 40GB PS3 is selling great. And so is the 80GB. People have a choice right now. For people too cheap to pay the full price you can buy a 40GB model. You need to play PS2 games? Play them on your PS2. That still works you know.

BrianC6234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BrianC6234

BrianC6234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BrianC6234

Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
you pay less money you get less features
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

People wanted a cheaper PS3 and they got one.

People need to be thankful that they can get such an incredible system for $399. It's not realistic to expect that Sony would include every single feature with the entry model. Be happy all they stripped is BC, memory card slots (you can buy a memory card adaptor) and two USB ports. Minor things, honestly. If people have huge PS2 libraries they want to play then most often they will already have a PS2, so no harm there.

If you want a full featured model with all of the bells and whistles they also give you that option for only $100 more, not to mention 40gb more HDD space and Motorstorm.

People whined and complained how much it costs, yet Sony puts out a super cheap model (for what you're getting) yet people still complain. Sony can't seem to win with some people.:?

dbzfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 dbzfreak
Member since 2003 • 6223 Posts

People need to be thankful that they can get such an incredible system for $399. It's not realistic to expect that Sony would include every single feature with the entry model. Be happy all they stripped is BC, memory card slots (you can buy a memory card adaptor) and two USB ports. Minor things, honestly. If people have huge PS2 libraries they want to play then most often they will already have a PS2, so no harm there.

If you want a full featured model with all of the bells and whistles they also give you that option for only $100 more, not to mention 40gb more HDD space and Motorstorm.

People whined and complained how much it costs, yet Sony puts out a super cheap model (for what you're getting) yet people still complain. Sony can't seem to win with some people.:?

nyc05
Yeah Sony can't seem to please a lot of people. Still too much whining. I think people won't shut up until it goes down to the price of the 360. It's amazing to me how muchwhining they do.
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

Yeah, and my SUV should have the same gas mileage as a Sedan....

DocBullfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DocBullfrog
Member since 2002 • 37 Posts
[QUOTE="nyc05"]

dbzfreak

Yeah Sony can't seem to please a lot of people. Still too much whining. I think people won't shut up until it goes down to the price of the 360. It's amazing to me how muchwhining they do.

Its amazing that people think the 360 is cheaper than the ps3.

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
[QUOTE="nyc05"]

dbzfreak

Actually the ps3 is the price of the 360 when you factor in the LIVE account. Why? Cause the 360 is only fun if you've got the LIVE. Without LIVE, you cannot experience the 360 next-gen games to it fullest.

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
Technically yes, its called a ps2 :P PS2 b/c is the *only* thing the 40gb can't do. Sony made it where the people who want b/c have to pay for it, and those who don't don't have to. Sounds alot like MS's tiered model, don't it? Don't really see a problem myself.
Absynthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Absynthetic
Member since 2004 • 1897 Posts
[QUOTE="dbzfreak"][QUOTE="nyc05"]

gamenux

Actually the ps3 is the price of the 360 when you factor in the LIVE account. Why? Cause the 360 is only fun if you've got the LIVE. Without LIVE, you cannot experience the 360 next-gen games to it fullest.

as console prices will inevitably get lower and lower, unles MS changes the pricing structure of live that $50/yr to play online sticks out and becomes more and more pronounced
Crazy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Crazy87
Member since 2005 • 2900 Posts
the ps3 is cheeper then the 360 all ways was lol if you get an 360 elite o boy thats 700$ right there after warrenty you really wanna buy that and xbox live ps3 is still cheeper even with the core 360
urio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 urio1
Member since 2007 • 1576 Posts

the ps3 is cheeper then the 360 all ways was lol if you get an 360 elite o boy thats 700$ right there after warrenty you really wanna buy that and xbox live ps3 is still cheeper even with the core 360Crazy87

yeah $200 HD-DVD player

$100 wi-fi thing

rechargeable battery packs are like 20 or 30 somethin and if u don't get those the batteries are like 6 dollars a pack???? or somethin idk lol

basically ps3 is the better bargain hands down

urio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 urio1

the ps3 is cheeper then the 360 all ways was lol if you get an 360 elite o boy thats 700$ right there after warrenty you really wanna buy that and xbox live ps3 is still cheeper even with the core 360Crazy87

yeah $200 HD-DVD player

$100 wi-fi thing

rechargeable battery packs are like 20 or 30 somethin and if u don't get those the batteries are like 6 dollars a pack???? or somethin idk lol

basically ps3 is the better bargain hands down

Avatar image for 2headedhawaiian
2headedhawaiian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 2headedhawaiian
Member since 2005 • 1531 Posts

[QUOTE="grant4500neo"]i think it should i know they are trying to sell the 80gb, but the 40gb not being able to do all the stuff the 80gb can, like reverse compatibility and stuff, is hurting their salesBrianC6234

Okay, I've seen my first triple and now quadruple post on this site... both within the last 2 minutes! WTF??

Avatar image for 2headedhawaiian
2headedhawaiian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 2headedhawaiian
Member since 2005 • 1531 Posts

And, to actually add something to the discussion, NO.

If the 40gig PS3 had all the features of the 80gig, it would either a) be more expensive, or b) increase Sony's losses per console sold even more, which is just not good.

The current price of the 40gig is right in that sweet spot, and I looked at the sales on Amazon today: the 80gig is selling better. This is the strategy they should have probably started with from the get go, instead of the 20gig and 60gig. Better late than never, IMO.

ratchetcooper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 ratchetcooper1
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts
No because if it was like that they wouldnt even make a 80GB.
perfection1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 perfection1000
Member since 2006 • 1205 Posts
[QUOTE="nyc05"]

dbzfreak

It is already the same cost as the 360 in Canada. $399
cayne_phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 cayne_phoenix
Member since 2002 • 2440 Posts

answering the question to the topic, NO the 40GB shouldnt be able to do everything a 80GB does, why?
why, first is because ur paying less money, less money equals less functions...

the 40gig model had to get rid of functions like flash card readers and ps2 games compatibility, and even reduce
the number of USB 2.0 ports from 4 to 2.

its simple math really, if u suffer from financial issues but u still want a ps3, ur going to have to sacrifice something in order to make ends meet...

cayne_phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 cayne_phoenix
Member since 2002 • 2440 Posts

answering the question to the topic, NO the 40GB shouldnt be able to do everything a 80GB does, why?
why, first is because ur paying less money, less money equals less functions...

the 40gig model had to get rid of functions like flash card readers and ps2 games compatibility, and even reduce
the number of USB 2.0 ports from 4 to 2.

its simple math really, if u suffer from financial issues but u still want a ps3, ur going to have to sacrifice something in order to make ends meet...

hcho3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hcho3
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts

What are you talking about...

People are buying 40GB more than 80GB models.

Most of people don't even really care about card-readers and they just buy ps3 to play games and watch movies.

Sony is doing just fine with 40GB models.

Avatar image for VanillaCremePop
VanillaCremePop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VanillaCremePop
Member since 2006 • 312 Posts

Buy an 80 if you want an 80 or buy a 40 if you want a 40.

Or in simpler terms that the TC might understand;

If you want an apple buy an apple, if you want a banana buy a banana

urio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 urio1

[QUOTE="grant4500neo"]i think it should i know they are trying to sell the 80gb, but the 40gb not being able to do all the stuff the 80gb can, like reverse compatibility and stuff, is hurting their saleshcho3

Most of people don't even really care about card-readers and they just buy ps3 to play games and watch movies.

actually the 80 GB account for like more than 65% of the recent PS3 sales... but i wanna buya 40 GB cuz idc for BC and i only plan on having like 2 controllers cuz most games besides warhawk haze and COD4 don't support over 2 ppl playin on one system and only like 2 controllers are necessary

urio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 urio1

[QUOTE="grant4500neo"]i think it should i know they are trying to sell the 80gb, but the 40gb not being able to do all the stuff the 80gb can, like reverse compatibility and stuff, is hurting their saleshcho3

actually the 80 GB account for like more than 65% of the recent PS3 sales... but i wanna buya 40 GB cuz idc for BC and i only plan on having like 2 controllers cuz most games besides warhawk haze and COD4 don't support over 2 ppl playin on one system and only like 2 controllers are necessary

gamedudeorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamedudeorino
Member since 2007 • 303 Posts

DISAGREE. I bought the 20GB last December. I dont have built in Wireless or Memory card readers or a BIGGER Hardrive and PaID $500 DOllars. Dont you think I should be complaining? Thats just buisness. Iam not bitter at all. So if you can afford the better model which to me is Both choices. Then Kudos to you. This is still in my opinon the best system out for the money and will only get better with time.

Krammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Krammin
Member since 2007 • 438 Posts
I Don't agree.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#33 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

Eh, no. You get what you pay for. At least, that works for this situation.

MFbronz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MFbronz
Member since 2007 • 403 Posts

if the 40gig did all the stuff the 80 could then im sure it would not cost 400 dollars now would it???

man sony tries to satisfy and people ar still b!#$%^&g about it

ftbllguy195

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 ftbllguy195
Member since 2003 • 122 Posts
i agree. They want you to buy the expensive model, thats why they offer more features and extras. However the 40GB isnt a bad deal at all. It works great for me. I used to be a 360 owner an wanted to switch to the PS3 aftrer hardware failures. I dont have any ps2 games so i can live without the B/C and saving 100$ over some card readers an a few usb ports is worth it to me. Im fully satisified with my 40GB ps3
xray213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xray213
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts

no not really because it wouldnt make any sense. if you dont care that much for ps2 games than get the 40gb hands down.

by the way in a couple of months sony is going to do a whole lot better than microsoft. just watch and see.

bluegender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bluegender
Member since 2006 • 1145 Posts

you pay less money you get less featuresMiles0T0Prower

This is the only post on here that made sense.

Avatar image for meluvulongtime8
meluvulongtime8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#38 meluvulongtime8
Member since 2007 • 1428 Posts
There's no way that the 40gb should be able to do all the stuff the 80gb can. First off Sony would just be complete idiots for letting them be the same. The only difference would be 40gb more of hdd for $100 more. That was Sony's problem with the 60 vs. the 80. Of course I purchased the 60gb w/bc 4port usb getting 5free blurays in the mail deal PS3. Currently you can upgrade to a 250gb hdd for $140 at bestbuy. Any idiot that thinks that they should be the same cept for the hdd size is complete moron and a cheap b@stard. At $399 they're practically giving them away. In Canada they are, at DELL they're packaging them with a game hdmi cable and spidey 3. Lucky Canucks
i-lick-monkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 i-lick-monkeys
Member since 2007 • 2971 Posts
hurting sales?no its not
Avatar image for tylerdurden2621
tylerdurden2621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tylerdurden2621
Member since 2006 • 704 Posts
[QUOTE="gamenux"][QUOTE="dbzfreak"][QUOTE="nyc05"]

Absynthetic

as console prices will inevitably get lower and lower, unles MS changes the pricing structure of live that $50/yr to play online sticks out and becomes more and more pronounced

Is 50 bucks a year honestly that big a deal?If you cant afford 50 bucks a year you should have probably never bought the console in the first place. 50 bucks a year is just so little, who cares

Maverick128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maverick128
Member since 2006 • 950 Posts
[QUOTE="hcho3"]

[QUOTE="grant4500neo"]i think it should i know they are trying to sell the 80gb, but the 40gb not being able to do all the stuff the 80gb can, like reverse compatibility and stuff, is hurting their salesurio1

Well, you can still have up to seven wireless controllers. You can only charge two at a time.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 excelR83
Member since 2003 • 2932 Posts
[QUOTE="urio1"][QUOTE="hcho3"]

[QUOTE="grant4500neo"]i think it should i know they are trying to sell the 80gb, but the 40gb not being able to do all the stuff the 80gb can, like reverse compatibility and stuff, is hurting their salesMaverick128

Well, you can still have up to seven wireless controllers. You can only charge two at a time.

Or get a USB hub and charge 8 controllers. Plug a hub into that hub and charge 16 controllers! Keep plugging hubs into hubs and charge thousands of controllers!

B/C is the only significant thing the 40 is missing, the rest of the stuff can be compensated for.

AnFangs_Endes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 AnFangs_Endes
Member since 2007 • 3785 Posts
Disagree.
rocket9434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 rocket9434
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts
No...you want a 40 GB that does all the things the 80 GB does, you know how much it costs? $500 (and MotorStorm is included). It does not hurt the sales, a cheaper console attracts many more people. A lot of people don't need the SD card slots so if a parent was looking to buy one and did not know anything about card slots or usb ports, the parent will most likely chose the cheaper version.
MGSPS3Freak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 MGSPS3Freak
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts
Nope, don't agree...