about the triggers...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rinoa_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rinoa_lover
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts

Does anybody like the triggers on the ps3 sixaxis? I've read some opinions about it but I'm still quite curious. I really don't like them much, though it's the only thing I like better about the 360 controller. Those triggers are elevated and not slippery. The ps3 has a much better size and better joysticks but worse triggers imho.

I'm curious about opinions on the ps3 controller but here's my crucial question: Are there any ps3 controllers (third party, the dualshock 3?) out now or on the horizon that will have a different trigger setup? Thanks yall.

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 1nverted
Member since 2006 • 1654 Posts
I thought it was wierd at first after using a 360 controller for so long however after you get used to using your middle finger for R2 and L2 and finger for R1 and L1 you get used to it.
Rinoa_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rinoa_lover
Dude, you do that too??? I throught it was my ownbrilliant idea lol. Itried it for awhile, especially in Resistance,because it seemed ideal, but I gave up. Too weird.
1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 1nverted
Heh, I figured thats how you were supposed to use it. :3
Rinoa_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rinoa_lover

Without those middle fingers to hold the controller I kind of had to squeeze my hands towards the controller so it wouldn't slip out. I couldn't relaxedly let the controller rest in my hands. haha, very technical explanation I know.

Any more foresight into this? Are there any other controllers with a different trigger setup? Should I again try adapting the aforementioned method of controller-grasping?

1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 1nverted
Yeah I know what you mean. The first game I played on the system was Motorstorm, and the accelerator button was set to R2. So I would try and hold R2 using my index finger and it would constantly slip off the button. :P
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
I find the PS controller very easy to use, when I use the triggers I use my index finger on the L1, L2, R1, and R2 buttons. I have been able to pull some long head shots off fairly quick with the PS controller after learning the best way to use the controller.
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
Yes I do have a preferance to them. IMO, its very comfortable. Especially for games that require constant pressing of those buttons such as COD4 and FPS games...Really like them
chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
I find using the R2 and L2 buttons to be awkward.
hilltops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hilltops
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

the only thing i found is that
my fingers would hit the triggers
when i didnt mean to and thus
use/waste what ever is assigned
to the triggers..

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts
In racing game I switch how I hold the controller. I slide my palms further down the grip and keep my thumb hovering over the L3. This keeps my hand in a position where my index fingers are much less likely to slip off the L2 and R2 buttons. I like the L2 and R2 in CoD4, it feels more like I'm pulling a trigger on a gun.
Ocram_Zepol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ocram_Zepol
Member since 2006 • 1199 Posts
I like it, but I hate the fact that if I ever set my controller on my bed it just presses the button. I think it's way to sensitive lol... but I love it. Whenever I play my PS2 I feel really weird because it doesn't have the triggers (and because it vibrates). I love it tho, especially when using them in racing games or in warhawk. It really gives you more feeling to what you're doing.
signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts
im disappointed sony didn attempt to improve on the shape of controller. The original xbox one was HORRIBLE, but they got it right with 360 which is the ideal console controller. I havent heard one person who thinks the ps3 one is better
mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mbrockway
I think it is better. THEORY DESTROYED. :P I really do prefer the dual shock design though. I used to play CoD3 and GoWall the time on my friends 360, and it is a good controller (other than the horrid d-pad), but I'm just really attached to the dual shock.
signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 signore

the thing about the ps controller that i dont like is that 99% of the time, you will use the left analog stick in a game more than a D-Pad,,, the problem is that the D-Pad is the more ideal and correct spotting (across from the 4 buttons). When the original PS came out, they had these logistics correct,, they just never adjusted.

I dont know, after playin the 360 for 4 months, and now playing the ps3, the controller just doesnt feel as natural

360 controller > PS3 controller PS3 > 360

cant win them all

Rinoa_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rinoa_lover

So there must not be any other third party controllers that elevate the triggers like on the 360, huh? Oh well, it's still an alright controller.

I hope they really make use of the triggers in mgs4. The combat, interogations, shooting, everything, could absolutely rock if those triggers are used. Like in mgs3, I don't know how many times I killed soldiers trying to interrogate them, trying to softly hold down the damn O button.Funny stuff, though not really. Annoyingly miserable stuff.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
360 controller triggers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3s triggers. Just my opinion.
1nverted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 1nverted

360 controller triggers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3s triggers. Just my opinion.kieran88

I have to agree unfortunately.

Cityboi415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cityboi415
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Yeah I truly agree on the sixaxis triggers. I wish the trigger was curved like the ones on the xbox controller.
si7ver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 si7ver
Member since 2003 • 656 Posts

Yeah I agree too about the triggers, even-though I love my PS3. I would gladly pay for a QUALITY 3rd party controller that more of a 360 style design.

-777-

signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 signore

i remember when xbox first game out,, there original controller was garbage,,, they then released a smaller one, a lot similar to PS2... Im hoping Sony adopts the same strategy (or even a 3rd party) mimicking the 360 one

anybody else feel like the ps3 controller is really cheap? its too light and seems like it will break in half

LeTHaL1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 LeTHaL1029
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts
I dont have any problems with the sixaxis except for the motion thingy .. Imo, thats a littlecrappy
staticuxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 staticuxo
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

controller is light due to lack of dual shock, but it seems strong. i've dropped mine multiple times very hard, and they're fine.

this is somewhat similar to 360 controller: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/devices/848&cl=us,en

interpolate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 interpolate
Member since 2007 • 257 Posts

I love the PS3 triggers.

They have nice aftertough and do not squeek (like the xbox ones do).

Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts
I like the triggers, I just wish more games used them as a fire button. :(
rhyumavampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rhyumavampire
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts
Bah...I could care less about the triggers really. Take them or leave them. I don't really love OR hate them. But the Playstation's controller design beats XBOX and XBOX360's any day of the week. The XBOX controller layout is confusing and awful. Only my opinion though...some people seem to love it. But I've also heard a lot of people say that the Playstation's controller layout is more confusing than XBOX's. Are you serious??? The layout is simple and logical.
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts

I hate using the triggers as firing my primary weapon in FPS. For example on the Orange Box, everything used the triggers, so I completely re-did the controls.

Resistance has perfect FPS button layout IMO.

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mbrockway
I think either Mad Catz or Logitech have a controller that has re-designed triggers, but I'm not sure. May want to do a google. They don't use bluetooth though, so you have to use a dongle. The sixaxis is pretty cheap feeling. The DS3 feels much more solid.
jtickner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 jtickner
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts
I think the controller is fine, the triggers (more like paddles) are good as. I don't think anyone really takes into account how much better the ps3 sticks are compared to the ps2, xbox and 360 sticks as sony raised them for higher sensitivity. Get a SIXAXIS and a 360 or old xbox control next to each other and compare, the difference is huge and so much better, imagine playing Skate or something with a 360 control, it would be horrid
Rinoa_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rinoa_lover

Thanks staticuxo and mbrockway :D. I have to read up some on those logitech and madcatzcontrollers.

moshakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 moshakirby
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts
R2 and L2 buttons for brake/accelerate in games is a silly idea and it's not very comfortable to be using those as the primary buttons for me.
The controller needs to be bigger, maybe I should invest in 3rd party controllers.
abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

Dude, you do that too??? I throught it was my own brilliant idea lol. Itried it for awhile, especially in Resistance, because it seemed ideal, but I gave up. Too weird.Rinoa_lover

I like R2 as the main fire, and play that way in Resistance. Also, weapon select didn't fit R2 at all, I like it better as R1. Anyway, in games like Uncharted, I'm fine with R1 as the main shooting button, and I never have a problem transitioning from game to game. The 360 controller is fine as well, but I like everything about the PS3 controllers a little more - maybe its because Sony kept it the same from PS1 all the way through to the PS3, and I'm just used to it. But to each his own.

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

i remember when xbox first game out,, there original controller was garbage,,, they then released a smaller one, a lot similar to PS2... Im hoping Sony adopts the same strategy (or even a 3rd party) mimicking the 360 one

anybody else feel like the ps3 controller is really cheap? its too light and seems like it will break in half

signore

Yeah, I feel that it's more sensitive to pressure than the others are, but unless you squeeze it tightly, or use it improperly, you should have no problems. But if your little cousins come over ...you know, the ones who get mad at games and through stuff everywhere ...I suggest you hide your PS3 and break out a Gamecube :)- Nintendo has targeted younger audiences for the most part, and their controllers can definitely take the most punishment. However, for consoles, the PS3 is a tank :D.

howardorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 howardorr
Member since 2003 • 638 Posts
I too find the Sixaxis too light and flimsy. The join between the two halves of the controller isn't very good. Plus, the trigger buttons tend to become limp andover-sensitive after a month or so of using them. Hold down the L3 to run in COD4 and the thing seems to be on the verge of falling apart. I'm getting the DualShock 3 from Japan and hope they've ramped up the build quality up to the level of the classic D/S 2.
lovea218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lovea218
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts
Well I really like the controlleres. I mean I don't even notice they are triggers unless I also put them on my bed or something and they go off. I hold it and use it just like the PS2 controller. It works fine for me. IMO