A small concern about the Dualshock 4 controller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but it's an issue that I came across today which could be potentially annoying, I think - the lightbar on the front of the DS4. 

Dualshock-4_01.jpg

Now I know this was originally intended for use with the camera that was going to be included with the system until Sony cut the camera to drop the PS4's price to $399, which makes the light seem kind of pointless to begin with, but anyway - my concern is that the light will end up reflecting off of the TV screen when playing, causing an annoying blue spot to appear on the screen during gameplay (particularly during sequences that occur during the dark, or when playing in a room with the lights off). 

Has Sony given any word on if the light can actually be turned off?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I doubt it will be that bright, and it shouldn't show up your TV if you have your lights on. Only if your lights are off and the screen is dark, then perhaps it could possibly be distracting, but again, I don't think it will be bright enough. But no, I can't find anything on completely turning it off.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#3 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I'm with ^. I really doubt Sony would be blind to that in their QA tests. Maybe have to deal with some reflection if your viewing device is at a certain height from where you game. Can you see yourself now when you play? If so, is the red light from your DS3 visible? My monitor is at eye level, so I never notice the lights.

-

This is all I got regarding the LED lights. from IGN.

DualShock 4's integrated LEDs are now good for little more than visual flair. Per Sony, the light-up panels will help indicate the player associated with each controller and, when supported, react to in-game cues, such as blinking red when a player is low on health.IGN

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#4 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts
I doubt it will be that bright, and it shouldn't show up your TV if you have your lights on. Only if your lights are off and the screen is dark, then perhaps it could possibly be distracting, but again, I don't think it will be bright enough. But no, I can't find anything on completely turning it off.SoNin360
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

I empathize.  When playing through areas that are naturally dark, the light may reflect off your screen (depending on how glossy it tends to be).  It might be a bit peeving, but you could always put a piece of duct tape or something over it or hide the light behind a pillow.  I dunno, just off-the-cuff suggestions.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
There could be a brightness setting but I seriously doubt it'll be a problem. Also the light still isn't pointless because it'll also be used to show who is player one, two..etc.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
The light is pointless so they will probably make future versions not have one.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I actually like the light on the controller.

nishanth12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 nishanth12
Member since 2008 • 679 Posts

Dud, that's a good question. Now that rises serious questions. For example checkout this video. Look closely after 2:58. I think it's a potential problem.

But anyway, nothing's gonna stop me from buying a ps4 :)

atc-fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 atc-fanatic
Member since 2009 • 973 Posts

i know this well be a problem for me at times. i cant use my move controller because of this issue sometimes. i always have a red ball the size of a baseball whenever playing house of the dead overkill&killzone3. im just gonna cover the light with somethin.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

Light isnt pointless it has multiple features/usage first is for identifying player ,2,3 and so on. 2nd it turns red when our low on health while playing games and our character is hurt. And 3rd it suppose help with certain games to flash rapidly to tell u if there's an item or ur near a secret area or something. These are the ones I know of that sony explained while talking to ign ppl and they also mentioned there might be more usage to it. Now I know most of u say PS eye is useless but it ain't that useless some of us like it. Heck I like the move. Play kz and resistance and heavy rain with it and lbp...also the ps4s eye and ds4 also will identify of u pass the controller to a friend. But yea I don't think the light is useless also sign had a up close and personal vid about ps4 and the light ain't that bright or distracting

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

It won't be an issue. I have a PS Move and I do not see the light's reflection on my TV. I can only see that being an issue if you're playing at night, the screen is dark, and your TV is at a low angle from your POV.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I too am hoping for an option to turn the light off now the the PSeye is no longer included. Just another drain on the battery.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

How close to the TV do you plan on being? heh

Also, I'm sure it'll be as bright as the PS move controllers, which, if I remember correctly, weren't that bright anyway, so no worries.

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
If you're playing on a SD TV with a glass screen than that is one thing. If you're on an HDTV with and LCD screen or similar than I doubt it will show up.
nishanth12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nishanth12
Member since 2008 • 679 Posts
If you're playing on a SD TV with a glass screen than that is one thing. If you're on an HDTV with and LCD screen or similar than I doubt it will show up.Sonny360Elite

It won't be an issue. I have a PS Move and I do not see the light's reflection on my TV. I can only see that being an issue if you're playing at night, the screen is dark, and your TV is at a low angle from your POV.

shellcase86
Hmm, did any of you guys see the video. It's an actual problem. I'm thinking of starting a new thread about this thing. Here's a link for the video, look closely after 2:58 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpCdtjTrAo
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

There could be a brightness setting but I seriously doubt it'll be a problem. Also the light still isn't pointless because it'll also be used to show who is player one, two..etc.MushroomWig

I have been staring at that picture, admiring the changes they have made to the controller.

I personally thought the 360 controller was the best controller I have ever used, however the new PS4 controller definitely improves in areas I didn't like of the PS3/2 controllers.

Bigger (which to me is better, the ps3 controller is a little small)

Sticks have better texture, and top part, as well are lower to the controller (better control)

The D-pad is moved in slightly together and at an ever so slightly inward tilt. 

As far as the lightbar goes, I am not that upset about it. I will more than likely be using gloss screens. (I don't like matte screens, they are dull in comparison)  If it gets to be too bright I will just use some black electrical tape when I don't need its functionality.  Though to be fair its more like a faint blue glow, and not like some crazy bright LED.

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I doubt that it will give us any trouble.
Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I can see the reflection of the small red light from the DS3 on my Plasma so I am guessing the newer, bigger light on the DS4 will be a pain in the ass when a game has dark scenes.

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
I agree I really like the design of this controller. Looks a lot better than PS2/PS3 remote. A little bigger and more texture, well put. Loving it!
Avatar image for Zero_resistance
Zero_resistance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Zero_resistance
Member since 2009 • 232 Posts

I THINK IT LOOKS LIKE A SMILY FACE :)

Any way the light is there because the controller has Move intergaration.  I just hope you can turn it off, I'm not a fan of Move

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

:S i really don't see how this is a problem unless you sit about a foot away from the tv. The coloured glue will be just that a slight glow, it won't be bright enough to reflex off your tv unless you play that close. crazy to even think about, as it isn't an bright led light

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#24 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

Dud, that's a good question. Now that rises serious questions. For example checkout this video. Look closely after 2:58. I think it's a potential problem.

But anyway, nothing's gonna stop me from buying a ps4 :)

nishanth12
Great post, it seems a little distracting in that video. That's just me though. I do hope they give a feature to turn it off, especially to save battery. Although, it wouldn't change my decision to buy a PS4 either way.
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

I can see the red light glare on my TV screen with the DualShock 3, so I'm positive I'll see the bigger blue light from the DualShock 4.

Never been too intrusive or bothersome to me, though.  I'm pretty sure the blue light is really soft, so I doubt it'll glare a whole lot; probably less than most would fear, but enough to notice, I'm sure.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
the Move controllers didnt show, so neither will this
wadelah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wadelah
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I really think Sony should change the joysticks on the controller. The rubber around it has already been worn apart on mine.