A PSP Without Games...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Redonkulous_D
Member since 2008 • 1018 Posts

First off, let it be known that I am a very rude person. If it seems like I am trying to insult your beloved handheld, I apologize and want you to know that I mean not to offend you. Also, please note that I am "from the DS boards" so excuse my ignorance towards the PSP. Now finally my question: Without games, how does the PSP stand as a media player? What media functions are offered? I lost my iPod and most of my videos/musi and I plan on re-purchasing all of it in more flexible formats so I can put them on something other than an iPod.

I won't buy any PSP games because I already have a DS and a laptop and anything else would be overkill. On top of that, PSP games don't appeal to me. I've looked many times at all games that are available and ones that will be. Only one game caught my interest and I can get a very similar game for the DS 6-8 months sooner and will more than likely enjoy that game much more. I chose the PSP because it has the largest screen at 4.3 inches and I found a way to get one as cheap as $80 or lower. And how long is the battery life? I heard it was 3-4 hours, but that doesn't sound right. Thanks for you help!

Please answer all 3 questions.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts
If I were you I wouldn't get it for it's music capabilities alone. Basically that's just a bonus, but ipods and such have a higher standard of quality when it comes to playing music. Don't buy it as just an mp3 player.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Yeah, don't get it as just a media player. Remember, you also have to buy a memory card for the thing, and to get a decent sized one at around 8gb would cost a decent amount of money. My PSP used to be my music player before I got an Ipod, but now I never use it for music anymore and I have only watched a couple movies on it. I say if you were willing to buy it as a gaming and media system, then go for it, but just as a media player? I say pass. I'm not saying it's a bad media player, but I'm sure there's better alternatives for strictly media use.

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
Your probably better off getting like a ipod classic, but in no means the PSP multimedia functions bad, they just aren't as good as ipods imo...
Muffinlybliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Muffinlybliss
Member since 2008 • 225 Posts

Yeah, don't get it as just a media player. Remember, you also have to buy a memory card for the thing, and to get a decent sized one at around 8gb would cost a decent amount of money. My PSP used to be my music player before I got an Ipod, but now I never use it for music anymore and I have only watched a couple movies on it. I say if you were willing to buy it as a gaming and media system, then go for it, but just as a media player? I say pass. I'm not saying it's a bad media player, but I'm sure there's better alternatives for strictly media use.

yokofox33

I got a cheap one off of Ebay once, a cheap 8 GB, but now that the fakes are out I don't do that no more. You can get a cheap one off of Amazon.com with their end of the year sales.

Also, go for a new ipod if you're just gonna buy a PSP for music and stuff. Unless you want an internet browser with it too.

james007_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 james007_14
Member since 2007 • 3036 Posts
It works fine as a Media player but remeber that isn't its main function. It is a secondary function and it might not have enough memeory for the amount of songs you might want to put on it. The memory is seperate and can be costly depending how much gb you want.
Muffinlybliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Muffinlybliss

It works fine as a Media player but remeber that isn't its main function. It is a secondary function and it might not have enough memeory for the amount of songs you might want to put on it. The memory is seperate and can be costly depending how much gb you want.james007_14

Some bundels come with the 4GB cards now though.

psn_Jaimzl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 psn_Jaimzl
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts
i just recently got a psp for almost the same reason except i also planned on playing games on it as a bonus. It works great you can browse all your songs and sort them (easier to sort your songs on the comp and move them over). Also if u DL pspvideo9 you can convert all video types to play on your psp. the biggest thing is the memory. you can find some 16gb memory sticks but they go for $100+. personally i'm happy with 4gb which I can fit a good 800+ songs not including movies and game saves. plus its a lot cheaper than an ipod classic.
garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts
[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

Muffinlybliss

I got a cheap one off of Ebay once, a cheap 8 GB, but now that the fakes are out I don't do that no more. You can get a cheap one off of Amazon.com with their end of the year sales.

Also, go for a new ipod if you're just gonna buy a PSP for music and stuff. Unless you want an internet browser with it too.

Doesn't the ipod touch have a browser?

lockman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lockman9
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I think the psp is like an iphone not an ipod

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Redonkulous_D
Thanx for the info. You just saved me $24!
Muffinlybliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Muffinlybliss

Thanx for the info. You just saved me $24!Redonkulous_D

No problem. (If that was directed at me)

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Redonkulous_D
Actually, If I were to buy a PSP and an 8gig MS then sell them, $24 would be lost.
raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts

I think the psp is like an iphone not an ipod

lockman9
well an Iphone and Ipod touch are the same think except Iphone is a phone
Avatar image for sweetlyanimated
sweetlyanimated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 sweetlyanimated
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts
O love my new psp. I don't want to sound like a commercial but it great for when your'e traveling on long trips out of town . It also can be use for a GPS if you buy a GPS receiver. However i must agree on one thing sony is not releasing enough games for it. Every week i check in for new games and nothing comes up.
Comrade_Buff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Comrade_Buff
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts

Well really, if you are planning on getting a 1000 for 80$ used?... that's a massive ripoff for you. Now if you're talking about 2000 or 3000 (the slim ones) then you got yourself a great deal. What I would do in this case if it was a 2000 or 3000 would be buy it then sell it immediately for cash to buy an MP3 player.

Also... don't forget video on the PSP, it looks beautiful.