A Few Technical PS3 Questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Hi

I'm a PC gamer thinking of getting a PS3 and I need to know if the PS3 uses HDMI or Mini HDMI because I want to connect it to my VGA monitor and need to know what converters etc I need. Obviously I need a HDMI to VGA converter. Also, do headphones that connect to it have to be USB? or is there a 3.5mm jack?

Thank you, the PS3 exclusives are stacking up and I liked the look of The Last of Us & Beyond at E3 aswell, also SLY COOPER!

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

HDMI

USB

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
No 3.5mm jack and HDMI like Gxgear said. I'm not familiar with converting HDMI to VGA, but I know in the past people had monitors that were not HDCP compliant that would not work with their PS3. Hopefully there is someone here who is doing what you want to do and can elaborate.
costyssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 costyssj4
Member since 2005 • 473 Posts

I got a HDMI converter and it connects a HDMI - and outputs through VGA , it also has a 3.5mm jack that outputs the sound from the HDMI.

I have this model.

Gembird DSC-HDMI-VGA

payed 40 bucks for it.

http://img1.price.ro/images/preturi/big_new/5/0/4/460504.jpg

The setup runs amazing. I have a 24" widescreen CRT monitor SONY GDMFW900, so i dont loose image quality becouse its a CRT so no native resolution problems. Also i hooked up my audio system to output from the pc and ps3 at the same time. So i can use the PC to listen to what ever music i want. Also my monitor swaps between the pc to ps3 with a button. It looks alot better on the CRT than on any LCD TV i have tried.

Also if you noticed alot of xbox360 and ps3 image quality comparisons, The ps3 image looks alot more washed out, well thats becouse the people didnt set it up to output better black levels, to do that you need to put HDMI FULL RGB instead of limited. Not all TVs support this but there is a test on the web somewhere to see if it can display all the black levels.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PcGamingRig

I got a HDMI converter and it connects a HDMI - and outputs through VGA , it also has a 3.5mm jack that outputs the sound from the HDMI.

I have this model.

Gembird DSC-HDMI-VGA

payed 40 bucks for it.

The setup runs amazing. I have a 24" widescreen CRT monitor SONY GDMFW900, so i dont loose image quality becouse its a CRT so no native resolution problems. Also i hooked up my audio system to output from the pc and ps3 at the same time. So i can use the PC to listen to what ever music i want. Also my monitor swaps between the pc to ps3 with a button. It looks alot better on the CRT than on any LCD TV i have tried.

Also if you noticed alot of xbox360 and ps3 image quality comparisons, The ps3 image looks alot more washed out, well thats becouse the people didnt set it up to output better black levels, to do that you need to put HDMI FULL RGB instead of limited. Not all TVs support this but there is a test on the web somewhere to see if it can display all the black levels.

costyssj4

thank you very much. :)

costyssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 costyssj4
Member since 2005 • 473 Posts

[QUOTE="costyssj4"]

I have this model.

Gembird DSC-HDMI-VGA

payed 40 bucks for it.

PcGamingRig

I am glad I could help :).
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PcGamingRig

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]

[QUOTE="costyssj4"]

I have this model.

Gembird DSC-HDMI-VGA

payed 40 bucks for it.

costyssj4

I am glad I could help :).

another question... is there anything I have to do on my ps3 to set VGA up? or should it do it automatically? When I turn it on there is either no signal or a signal with a black screen. the sound is there so the converter is working, I can hear the menu movements and startup sounds.