40gigs just not enough.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

40 gigs wont be enough for the future ps3 owner. I know its cheap and you can always upgrade it. But most of the games I have required me to install up to 5 gigs of the game on my hdd. I have used up over half of my 60gig hdd, thats with no demos or anything else installed.

I see this only getting worse as time goes on. The games will get bigger the textures will be higher res and people won't want to put up with long loading screens. The system is bottle necked with its 2x bd speeds and its split 512 ram 256 for main 256 for video. the problem is data will have to be cached to the hdd and with its slow bd speeds its more practical to just pre install chucks of the game on the hdd.

So unless Sony releases a 40gig PS3 with a faster drive, you may find yourself with a less than multimedia system. I know you're going to say you can just erase old data, and yes you could just do that. And yes the saved game data isn't attached to the game install (this is the only life saver they have). I just feel even though Sony touted and said the PS3 is like a PC, its just not. You should not have to do maintenance and manage your PS3 like a PC. what happens when your hdd gets fragmented?

What do you guys think? 40gigs is plenty, orjust not enough?

heretic92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 heretic92
Member since 2003 • 302 Posts

well ive had my 60 gig for like 6 months and have only used ~35 gigs of it which includes downloading basically every decentdemo and about 20 videos from PSN and having warhawk on the hdd instead of bluray

wat games are u playing that u need to install 4 gigs onto ur ps3? the only game that i have that does that is everybodies golf 5 (hot shots golf 5 *** version)

Author_1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Author_1990
Member since 2004 • 1358 Posts
Thing is, I'll most likely play my PS3, not make it into a Multimedia device. If I want to put so many files into it then I will simply upgrade it. 
The RAM isn't such a problem. It would be a test to developers, but if they can make something glorious out of the problems of the PS3, then I can trust them as good developers, and I can trust their games.

MrShenmue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrShenmue
Member since 2005 • 778 Posts
External Harddrive. 
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
The consume can change the HDD if they want a bigger one.
MikiFujimoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MikiFujimoto
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

I don't see this as a problem. HDDs are dirt cheap, you can pick up a massive one for a decent price. This applies to all SKUs, actually. Eventually, we're all going to max out space - 40 gigs sooner rather than later. The 40 gig version was created to fill a gap in the PS3 SKU lineup, and it'll serve its purpose.

Tim

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gagit811

well ive had my 60 gig for like 6 months and have only used ~35 gigs of it which includes downloading basically every decentdemo and about 20 videos from PSN and having warhawk on the hdd instead of bluray

wat games are u playing that u need to install 4 gigs onto ur ps3? the only game that i have that does that is everybodies golf 5 (hot shots golf 5 *** version)

heretic92

lets see, Spider man 3 3gigs, Warhawk 1gig, Heavenly sword 3gigs, skate 3gigs Madden 08 220mb, splinter cell 1gig, Fear 255mb, Tony hawk 8 265mb, Ridge Racer 7 5gigs, Call of duty 3 603mb, Oblivion 5gig Resitance 129mb, Virtua fighter 5 3gig.

I have more games, but you get the point.

AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts
You can upgrade ur HDD later on if u need to.
heretic92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 heretic92
[QUOTE="heretic92"]

gagit811

lets see, Spider man 3 3gigs, Warhawk 1gig, Heavenly sword 3gigs, skate 3gigs Madden 08 220mb, splinter cell 1gig, Fear 255mb, Tony hawk 8 265mb, Ridge Racer 7 5gigs, Call of duty 3 603mb, Oblivion 5gig Resitance 129mb, Virtua fighter 5 3gig.

well oblivion its basically expected, and those that install under 500 mb its just like "meh" think of it as a save file, and warhawk is only the download version?

but yeah i didnt no that there were so many games thatrequired large hdd space

f789790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 f789790
Member since 2005 • 327 Posts
What the @$%&? Doesputting information of the hard driveeven improve loading times? What a waste. Your right about it not being enough. As everyone's game collections grow we will definately run out of space. I wish I could buy one for a reduced price with no hard drive so I could install a 120GB.
gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gagit811
well oblivion its basically expected, and those that install under 500 mb its just like "meh" think of it as a save file, and warhawk is only the download version?

but yeah i didnt no that there were so many games thatrequired large hdd space

heretic92
I have the store bought discwarhawk game.If I had the 40gig PS3 my hdd would be full already.
heretic92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 heretic92

then its a good thing u dont :P hahaha. im sure people would notice that their hdd is filling up and would go out and get like a 160gig sata and just swap them over, since u can just back up your hdd on to external hdd sources hella easily and then just chuckthem bak on to the new hdd.

maybe thats y sony made it so easy to swap out hdds? because since all ps3s have a hdd (unlike the xbox) devolpers can utilize the hdd to minimize load screens and times, so obviously they are gonna use it if its there

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gagit811
What the @$%&? Doesputting information of the hard driveeven improve loading times? What a waste. Your right about it not being enough. As everyone's game collections grow we will definately run out of space. I wish I could buy one for a reduced price with no hard drive so I could install a 120GB.f789790
the reason some games have to be installed on the hdd is because of the slow loading times. The hdd speeds up loading times. The data moves faster off the hdd than it does off the 2x bd disc. this can cut down the load speeds by more than half.
CaptainHerlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CaptainHerlock
Member since 2007 • 755 Posts

40 gigs wont be enough for the future ps3 owner. I know its cheap and you can always upgrade it. But most of the games I have required me to install up to 5 gigs of the game on my hdd. I have used up over half of my 60gig hdd, thats with no demos or anything else installed.

I see this only getting worse as time goes on. The games will get bigger the textures will be higher res and people won't want to put up with long loading screens. The system is bottle necked with its 2x bd speeds and its split 512 ram 256 for main 256 for video. the problem is data will have to be cached to the hdd and with its slow bd speeds its more practical to just pre install chucks of the game on the hdd.

So unless Sony releases a 40gig PS3 with a faster drive, you may find yourself with a less than multimedia system. I know you're going to say you can just erase old data, and yes you could just do that. And yes the saved game data isn't attached to the game install (this is the only life saver they have). I just feel even though Sony touted and said the PS3 is like a PC, its just not. You should not have to do maintenance and manage your PS3 like a PC. what happens when your hdd gets fragmented?

gagit811

As my first post... that's part of the reason why the HDD is upgradeable. And that's also why they are using Blu Ray. Bigger medium is supposedley going to cut down on drive space used eventually or am I wrong?

heretic92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 heretic92
[QUOTE="gagit811"]

CaptainHerlock

As my first post... that's part of the reason why the HDD is upgradeable. And that's also why they are using Blu Ray. Bigger medium is supposedley going to cut down on drive space used eventually or am I wrong?

bigger medium is being used because sony realised that next gen games will need next gen disc storage, i mean resistance came in at 16gig on the disk which cant be done on dvdevenif u usedual layer dvd (which is only 9gig)

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
I hope you know you can delete the cached data again. Also, HS uses 2 gigs, VF5 2.4 and Oblivion 4.5
shroom76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 shroom76
Member since 2007 • 1764 Posts

considering they had 20 gigs for 350 already i dont see the point. they still have all the fancy stuff in them too.

the 20 gig ps3 was always the same price as the 20 gig xbox360 and nobody ever bought one.

but oo since a 40 gig one comes out for 400, obviously sony is genious now

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gagit811
I hope you know you can delete the cached data again. Also, HS uses 2 gigs, VF5 2.4 and Oblivion 4.5BenderUnit22
I was rounding give or take. and you are right, I wrote in chicken scratch down name of games and next to it mb used. I mixed and f'd up some game names and #of mb uesd. HS is 2048mb and V5 is 2343mb.
CaptainHerlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CaptainHerlock
[QUOTE="gagit811"]

CaptainHerlock

bigger medium is being used because sony realised that next gen games will need next gen disc storage, i mean resistance came in at 16gig on the disk which cant be done on dvdevenif u usedual layer dvd (which is only 9gig)

One thing I see all the time is people saying "Get rid of the Blu Ray drive, we don't need it". Well this is exactly why they are using it Blu Ray and why they won't dump it. Games are only getting bigger. And you'll need a bigger medium. Blu Ray isn't going anywhere soon.

zehoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zehoo
Member since 2004 • 75 Posts
or of course you just pull out the old hard drive and slip in a 250gig one ......
munsoned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 munsoned
Member since 2006 • 3064 Posts

ive rented alot of ps3 games since july. and i got over ten demos and 15 vidoes over 300 pics im not half way over 60 yet. so i think 40 might be enuff if not like u said easy upgrade

dont laugh but my computer only has 40 gigs:o

munsoned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 munsoned
Member since 2006 • 3064 Posts
or of course you just pull out the old hard drive and slip in a 250gig one ......zehoo
250 gig one WOWZERS:shock:
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts
well that is why sony made the hard drive so easily upgradeable. and you can use an external hard drive so I dont even see this being a problem for the ps3.
Mistique80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mistique80
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
its just a waist of time, 40gig is nothing, i like to download loads, i'm guesing its not enough
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
why u complaining so much, the HDD is UPGRADEABLE, wat more do u want, first u guys cry about price cut, then how small the HDD is, or how there isnt rumble, damn !!! just a greedy grinch, i mean sony is tryin to do is bring out a cheap ps3 for everyone to buy, while at the same time has hdd, blu ray player, and all that goody that u want, again man, i really think 40 is enough and if u dont like it then go upgrade it, u cant just have everythin u want, doesnt work that way unless u got chedder to waste on the devs.
ludacriss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ludacriss
Member since 2005 • 1150 Posts
Well, you can change that hard drive, they're cheap. What? You people, even now you are not satisfied with the low price of the ps3?
Avatar image for The_Gunslinger_
The_Gunslinger_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 The_Gunslinger_
Member since 2007 • 427 Posts

considering they had 20 gigs for 350 already i dont see the point. they still have all the fancy stuff in them too.

the 20 gig ps3 was always the same price as the 20 gig xbox360 and nobody ever bought one.

but oo since a 40 gig one comes out for 400, obviously sony is genious now

shroom76

20gb ps3 premiered at 500, 20gb xbox 360 premiered at 400.

Deviltrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Deviltrigger
Member since 2003 • 343 Posts

you said yourself, for the future 40gb might not be enough indeed, but for now it's a great deal, in the future when you need more, you buy a bigger one, by that time they will be cheaper.

On the other side who says 40gb is not enough for the future, 60 are not enough either, it's not just 20gb more that are going to make a diffference.

Probably in few years from now, the premium pack will be 160gb ps3 and the basic will be 80gb.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="heretic92"]

gagit811

That's only like 26gb, and anyway, most people don't buy like 25 games and wonder why their HDD is full...

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
I have a question, I have a 60gb...if I need to switch the hard drive, how do I go about doing that? And what about everything I've got saved onto my HDD...how can I transfer it?
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainHerlock"][QUOTE="gagit811"]

CaptainHerlock

One thing I see all the time is people saying "Get rid of the Blu Ray drive, we don't need it". Well this is exactly why they are using it Blu Ray and why they won't dump it. Games are only getting bigger. And you'll need a bigger medium. Blu Ray isn't going anywhere soon.

Resistance had no compression whatsoever...

No matter what people say, Blu-Ray has not been proven necessary yet.

Avatar image for The_Gunslinger_
The_Gunslinger_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 The_Gunslinger_
Member since 2007 • 427 Posts
[QUOTE="CaptainHerlock"][QUOTE="CaptainHerlock"][QUOTE="gagit811"]

TheSystemLord1

That's true, you think we would be getting games a little bit quicker because they don't need to be compressed. With all of that space, the only way it can be prove necessary is if developers offer extreme amounts of content. As long is it's not developer diaries or behind-the-scenes videos, I mean things like more game modes, maps, etc.

draquil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 draquil
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I have a question, I have a 60gb...if I need to switch the hard drive, how do I go about doing that? And what about everything I've got saved onto my HDD...how can I transfer it?TheSystemLord1

The only thing you need is a screwdriver and a new HDD ofc.

Maybe this link can help http://community.eu.playstation.com/showthread.php?t=75071

GlassDominion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 GlassDominion
Member since 2007 • 1313 Posts

TheSystemLord1

rage has shown blue ray is necessary.

even compressed the game is 2dvds for the 360 (at this point?)

and 1 blu ray disk for the ps3.

blue dragon for the 360 shipped with 3 disks, that could have all fit on 1 blu ray disk.

while disk swapping isnt the worse thing in the world, it just shows blu ray was a wise investment for this generation.

tryfe_lyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 tryfe_lyn
Member since 2005 • 4122 Posts

The consume can change the HDD if they want a bigger one.Krigon

exactly...but if you don't want to make a purchase to upgrade, then do a little file management...that usually helps...

CaptainHerlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CaptainHerlock
[QUOTE="CaptainHerlock"][QUOTE="CaptainHerlock"][QUOTE="gagit811"]

TheSystemLord1

That's the keyword; Yet. Games are only going to get bigger. The guys at Insomniac have already stated that Ratchet and Clank TOD couldn't be done on a DVD9. And if you pick up the new issue of GamePro you'll see Naughty Dog say that Uncharted is taking advantage of the larger Blu Ray disc as well as the Cell processor.

The PS3 isn't about 2007. It's about 2008 and beyond. You have to look at it long term.

gizmo_logix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gizmo_logix
Member since 2005 • 4224 Posts
[QUOTE="heretic92"]

gagit811

Here's the prices I found on newegg. 80GB SATA = $59.95 100GB SATA = $79.95 120GB SATA = $89.95 160GB SATA = $99.95 200GB SATA = $179.95 250GB SATA = $174.95 (yes, cheaper than the 200GB. Go figure)
kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#40 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts

cant have all, lower price with more features.