40GB ps3 not enough space GTA V

This topic is locked from further discussion.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

So I dusted of my ps3 to download and play GTA V, on playstation store it said 17GB needed which was no problem since my 40GB HDD was emptied for this very purpose. In order to purchase the game i funded my wallet and pressed buy, what I now see is that I don't have enough space 6.9 GB short. The OS takes up 3gb so my HDD shows I have 30/37GB available, so wtf is taking up space? Do I really need to buy a new HDD? This sucks!

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
you dun goof'ed
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 valium88

Really helpful thanks.

DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts

That's weird....If you have a PC then you can try buy the GTA V on PS Store website then try to download it on PS3. Maybe there is a error when you buy it on PS3 or there is too much traffic so Sony make up some weird error to not let many people download it at the same time.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 valium88

I don't use my ps3 anymore so I funded the wallet for the sole purpose of downloading GTA V. I don't see what my HDD space has to do with traffic. Anyone else downloaded it from psn and fitted it on a 40GB HDD?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
listen, PSN download games are actually twice the size of what they say it is. So it says 17gb, but you actually need 34gb. Why? Cuz it has to be installed.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 valium88

So how do I free up the extra GB? My HDD is empty, yet the system say I have 30/37 free, I need those extra 7 and they are nowhere to be found exclusive the OS.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

So how do I free up the extra GB? My HDD is empty, yet the system say I have 30/37 free, I need those extra 7 and they are nowhere to be found exclusive the OS.

valium88

The unfortunate answer is you don't. I think you're best course of action at this point would be to contact Sony's customer service, explain how it wasn't clear how much space was needed for the install and try to get your funds back.

Worst case, you can swap out the hard drive for a 60gb which you can find for around $20. It's an extra cost, but at least then you'll be able to install the game.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 valium88

I was afraid that was the case, I think my case is totally legitimate though, despite refund policy. The total GB of free space should be visible before funding and pressing buy, since I don't intend to spend those money on anything else psn has to offer.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

You should buy physical with so small a hard drive. No that doesn't help you now but consider it a lesson learned.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

I was afraid that was the case, I think my case is totally legitimate though, despite refund policy. The total GB of free space should be visible before funding and pressing buy, since I don't intend to spend those money on anything else psn has to offer.

valium88
I think your better case is if it doesn't mention that the install which will only be 17gb when finished actually requires 34gb to perform the installation. Good luck.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
It says to make sure you have 36gb avaible for install I believe at the page before you purchase. You may be out of luck pleading your case to customer support. I searched avaible hard drive pace for 40gb ps3 and someone asked similar question back in 07 on Sony boards. People said 40gb is really only 37 after format and 7 are used for system files. 30gb is normal.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

your best buying the hard copy anyway the digital copy is unplayable and very bad at the moment from most users, maybe a refund will be allowed, but i do understand that you need double what ever it says to download it for some reason, very strange to sell a console which can only house one game but i guess thats the gen we have been in. 

Avatar image for FLEETWOOD_SMACK
FLEETWOOD_SMACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FLEETWOOD_SMACK
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I have the same problem I have a 40GB PS3 GUTTED (tried downloading last night 18:00PM I have 32/37 GB storage space left and GTA5 is 17.2 GB to download, I was baffled and assumed something was wrong with my PS3. I work with IT guys and I expected a database reset would resolve and potential issues (tends to be there answer to everything, or a hard reset) I called SONY and they said you need double the games GB SPACE to download (as you can see I have 32GB and double is 34.4GB) I advised them that I have deleted everything that consumes GB and that there is no way for me to get more storage space via deletion Their response, "We are not sure if PS3 40GB console can download GTA V and we have escalated this to head office, we apologise and will call you back, we understand you may have wanted to play midnight They also said "There is NO MESSAGE that mentions you need sufficient memory space to download GTA 5" As I said if its not possible, why could I have purchased the game? There was no message, will you give me a refund or send me a copy? Based on their comment, you will either GET A REFUND or they will send you a copy of the GAME, legally I believe they have too, if they message was their they could be idiots though!! (TBC) If they send me a copy I assume I will be able to play without downloading?????? 17/09/2013: I'm still waiting for the call back * To rub salt in the wound, at 06:00am this morning my local Tesco Express had about 20+ copies of the game on sale, but I opted for waiting on SONY's response
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AutoPilotOn
I know there is a message before you buy the game that says make sure you have 30some(36?) gb avaible there will be no refunds. I just did it yesterday.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AutoPilotOn
I was just on website and while could add gta to cart to see as I own it I tried another game. It didn't say anything about gbs needed. I know gta5 did on the ps3 but maybe you can say the website didn't tell u?
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Format the PS3 40Gigger wipe the entire HDD clear. Get back the 37GB of 40GB. Since you haven't used your PS3 for a while, and have only dusted it off to play Grand theft Auto 5. Anything on that HDD can't be too important. Besides GTA V is worth it. 

So get ready for GTA 5 launch day. 

moondoggey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 moondoggey
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts
ust get a bigger hdd there not going to give you your money back unless you say the game wont play at all on the ps3 good luck best bet is bigger hdd
Avatar image for FLEETWOOD_SMACK
FLEETWOOD_SMACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FLEETWOOD_SMACK
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I definitely didnt get the message and the SONY lady stated that many users didnt. That would be SONY's error and would fall under the remit of Trades Descriptions Act, therefore making you eligible for a refund. My only concern would be they refund my wallet rather than my bank card. But im guna get a refund, anything less is a crime
pizzer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pizzer123
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

It's because when downloading online you in fact need double the space (i found after a similar error with infamous) 17 gigs to download then another to install, after it's installed it deletes the other now unnecessary 17 gigs but originally you still need double the space that it actually says it takes.