40GB PS3... is that enough?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

long_fellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 long_fellow
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a PS3, but I'm not sure which model to buy. 40GB or 80GB? The 40GB is my first choice since it's cheap, but how important is that extra 40GB on the 80GB model? Will it affect how long I get to use the system, like for example, future games needing multiple gigs of space? How much smarter would it be to spend the extra for the 80GB? I'd like to get the opinions of other PS3 owners.

Note that the backwards compatibility isn't a big thing for me, and neither are the extra multimedia slots. It's really just a matter of space, but I'd also appreciate any other comparisons anyone can make that will help me make a decision
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Since Sony seems deft to delete BC from their consoles, I would get the current MGS4 pack 80GB model if you must have a new one, or try to scrounge around locally for a 20/60GB unit, particularly if you're like me and have some great ps1/2 games, because eventually you will want to replay them, and be cursing yourself at buying a ps3 unit that doesn't have that functionality. Having the extra storage for the 80GB will come in useful if you find that you like a lot of the downloaded titles or want to be able to have a lot of demos handy. Though if you are sure that all you really care about is having the disk space, figure in the cost of getting a big 2.5" SATA hard drive into either deal and see which one looks better to you.
x_cosmo_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 x_cosmo_x
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts

if backwards compatibility is not a big deal for you buy the 40 gig for sure...i got the 40 gig when MGS4 released and then upgraded the hard drive to 250 gigs for only $85 bucks and still spent less than the 80gig is worth, by the way switching out drives does not void warranty :)

PSN : Foechuckle

Xbox Live ID : Rubber Magnum

rayjapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 rayjapan
Member since 2006 • 231 Posts

I'm thinking about getting a PS3, but I'm not sure which model to buy. 40GB or 80GB? The 40GB is my first choice since it's cheap, but how important is that extra 40GB on the 80GB model? Will it affect how long I get to use the system, like for example, future games needing multiple gigs of space? How much smarter would it be to spend the extra for the 80GB? I'd like to get the opinions of other PS3 owners.

Note that the backwards compatibility isn't a big thing for me, and neither are the extra multimedia slots. It's really just a matter of space, but I'd also appreciate any other comparisons anyone can make that will help me make a decisionlong_fellow

The extra 40 GB is not important. You can always upgrade your hard disk later. Sony gives them these names which unfortunately gives too much attention on the disk space. If they called one "model A" and the other "model B", then that would be more accurate since the hard disk you can replace; multimedia slots and backward compatibility cannot be added later though...so, in my opinion, they're actually more important. If they aren't important to you, then a 40 GB is fine.

StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 StealthKnife
Member since 2008 • 2104 Posts

well if you plan to get the 40gb, u should wait for a little less then a month and get the 80gb, that 80gb ps3 will be like the 40gb but with double the hard drive,|| if you buy the limited 80gb it will come with 4 usb ports instead of 2 and it will come with memory slots for cameras and other stuff that isnt used much,i would wait a monthor less i am not sure when exacly it comes out, but if you can't wait just get the 40gb it doesnt matter to much unless u like putting videos and music on your ps3, but then again you can use media servers!

hope this helps!

StealthKnife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StealthKnife
Member since 2008 • 2104 Posts

well if you plan to get the 40gb, u should wait for a little less then a month and get the 80gb, that 80gb ps3 will be like the 40gb but with double the hard drive,|| if you buy the limited 80gb it will come with 4 usb ports instead of 2 and it will come with memory slots for cameras and other stuff that isnt used much,i would wait a monthor less i am not sure when exacly it comes out, but if you can't wait just get the 40gb it doesnt matter to much unless u like putting videos and music on your ps3, but then again you can use media servers!

hope this helps!

StealthKnife
forgot to add the new 80gb will cost as much as the 40gb now, so just wait
Avatar image for railroberto2007
railroberto2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 railroberto2007
Member since 2007 • 1405 Posts
40 gig plus mgs4 = 400 for the ps3 60 for the game 80 gig = 500 and you get msg4 , a rumble controller and 40 more gigs for only 40 dollars more its the better buy
SollidSnake_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 SollidSnake_
Member since 2008 • 2991 Posts
get a 40 gbs. it isnt enough, but 80 isnt either.. so get a 40gbs and than get a sata internal laptop HDD and change it for the 40gb one.. =)
Avatar image for meluvulongtime8
meluvulongtime8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#9 meluvulongtime8
Member since 2007 • 1428 Posts
It all depends on how many games/movies/music you plan on putting on your PS3. Do you care if you have to reinstall games to play them? If you don't mind deleting old game data (which is different than game saves) the 40gb would be plently as long as you're not putting tons of vids/music on the hdd. I have a 60gb and have 11 gb left of space. That's with 22 games worth of game data and 7 PSN games. I don't have any vids, music, or demos on it. I don't like to delete game data because then I can't just pop in a game at anytime and instantly play. Pretty soon I'm going to upgrade the hdd, but that's the beauty of having a PS3 if you want you can always upgrade with any SATA 2.5 inch hdd. On newegg you can get a 320gb for $100.
bluewrxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 bluewrxman
Member since 2004 • 1799 Posts

also on a 40 gig you only get about 32gigs because it only see's 37gigs and because of the os.......so you only start with about 32 gigs....

but the good thing is you can always replace the hard drive....it doesnt void the warrent, its very easy to do, and you can get a 250 gig hard drive for about 90 buckss...

masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts
I would wait until they update the 40 gig with the 80..I think the new 80 gig also comes with a DS3..
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

Note that the backwards compatibility isn't a big thing for me, and neither are the extra multimedia slots. It's really just a matter of space, but I'd also appreciate any other comparisons anyone can make that will help me make a decisionlong_fellow
buy the 40 gig ps3 then take the 100$you saved by not getting the 80gig and buy a 250 to 320 gig HDD from newegg.com. that is unless you REALY want to play ps2 games?thats what i did. 320gig from new egg was 120$ but some brands are 100$
Hutch_182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hutch_182
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts
the 40 GB will be replaced with the 80GB on September 13th, you just have to pay $400 for the 80GB, so wait less than a month to get 40 extra GBs.
ChiSoxBombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChiSoxBombers
Member since 2006 • 3700 Posts

the beauty of a removable Harddrive. change it for a biggun

SonyMarksman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SonyMarksman70
Member since 2008 • 1628 Posts

if backwards compatibility is not a big deal for you buy the 40 gig for sure...i got the 40 gig when MGS4 released and then upgraded the hard drive to 250 gigs for only $85 bucks and still spent less than the 80gig is worth, by the way switching out drives does not void warranty :)

PSN : Foechuckle

Xbox Live ID : Rubber Magnum

x_cosmo_x
Wow.. It's like Deja vu, I heard that all before.............But where
Gamezster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Gamezster
Member since 2008 • 346 Posts

I have a 40G. I've had my PS3 since January 19, I still have lots of space left. But that's because I usually don't have enough cash to buy a new game.

And you guys helped ME lots to. :)

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
80GB