3G model questions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

I was intrigued that I was able to access my school notes on an Iphone with 3G networking. However I don't want a phone nor an overpriced Apple product. Then I look at the vita and thought it was a great alternative. So I ask those who invested in the 3G model:

-is the browser decent at least? I don't need a fast connection but I don't want it ridiculously slow either.

-what does the 256mb or 5 gb plan mean and why is the latter more expensive? Is it just a faster connection?

-how steady is the connection? Can you lose it occasionally? (I don't know much about 3G networking so that's why I'm asking)

-is $15 a month (256mb plan) a reasonable price or not?

-just for fun, what else could you do with it? I'm assuming you have constant access to your frient lists and online leaderboards and online gaming is out of the question.

In essence, I want the convenience of a small 3G networking device to benefit me in school. The vita is just an option. Plus I like Sony platforms however I don't see any must have games for the Vita yet but I trust it will acquire some eventually. If anyone else has any better options, let me know please.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
-256mb or 5gb is total data you can have monthly -it's not
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

No expert on 3G either so I can't really answer most your questions but the 250 MB / 5 GB plans are not referring to the speed of the internet.  It's referring to the the amount of data you are allowed to use.   Various things you do on the internet use up that data such as downloads, streaming videos, skype calls, even something so simple as loading a webpage.   Although I don't really know to what extent how much data most of these would use.   I'd imagine such things as downloads and streaming videos would use up a lot of data.   I'm guessing also online gaming would also use a lot of data.  Anyway, I've heard 3G is utter trash for online gaming.  250 MB isn't all that much to be honest, you'd only be able to do very basic things.

Perhaps your school has a free wifi network you could use?  That would probably be more effective than using 3G.

Apocalypse324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Apocalypse324
Member since 2007 • 1486 Posts

Yea if you have access to WiFi then use that...I love my vita but the 3g is pretty useless on it

4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts
go buy a tablet. You can get a 7" kindle fire HD right now for $199 and it'll serve you better for your intended purpose (ie: school) than a vita will.
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Dude I'm not saying it's bad or something but I don't think it's worth the money. I mean you won't really need a 3G on your Vita, it's a gaming handheld... most of the time you'll be playing at home and I assume you have a Wi-Fi network, so it's more than enough. Few times that you take it outside, you can live without an internet connection. The data plan depends on the provider Sony is co-operating with in your local area but they go usually from like 15 to 20 Euros I think.

The browser it has is really nice and all the apps you can add such as Facebook, Skype and Twitter are really good. I am using mine almost every day but I'm doing that on my Wi-Fi network. Now about taking it to your school... I don't think it's a good idea... just get a nice Android phone if you want to avoid Apple's sh1t. Galaxy S3 is a nice one and since S4 was just announced the price on S3 dropped.

Overall I strongly recommend getting a Wi-Fi Vita for the games... it's a nice device and you'll be happy with it. Also Vita's game library is steadily growing so that's a good sign.

costyssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 costyssj4
Member since 2005 • 473 Posts

I was intrigued that I was able to access my school notes on an Iphone with 3G networking. However I don't want a phone nor an overpriced Apple product. Then I look at the vita and thought it was a great alternative. So I ask those who invested in the 3G model:

-is the browser decent at least? I don't need a fast connection but I don't want it ridiculously slow either.

-what does the 256mb or 5 gb plan mean and why is the latter more expensive? Is it just a faster connection?

-how steady is the connection? Can you lose it occasionally? (I don't know much about 3G networking so that's why I'm asking)

-just for fun, what else could you do with it? I'm assuming you have constant access to your frient lists and online leaderboards and online gaming is out of the question.

In essence, I want the convenience of a small 3G networking device to benefit me in school. The vita is just an option. Plus I like Sony platforms however I don't see any must have games for the Vita yet but I trust it will acquire some eventually. If anyone else has any better options, let me know please.

thetravman

I have the 3G version, and I have an unlimited plan free of charge, it comes with my home network which is 7 euros per month, the internet is fast, i can watch Youtube HD videos with no stuttering. There is a problem with it though its really limited, it cant access files larger than 20MB which is rediculous , also cant even game with 3G even if its really fast like in my case. I have signal everywhere i go.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

costyssj4

I have the 3G version, and I have an unlimited plan free of charge, it comes with my home network which is 7 euros per month, the internet is fast, i can watch Youtube HD videos with no stuttering. There is a problem with it though its really limited, it cant access files larger than 20MB which is rediculous , also cant even game with 3G even if its really fast like in my case. I have signal everywhere i go.

That's because 3g is fast enough for short burst like youtube,which I have seen work on pretty slow internet, But not for bandwidth intense activities like large file downloads or online gaming. Which is why vita should have been 4g.