Would Like Opinions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Fuzzymutt (11 posts) -

Not everyone plays call of duty I can respect that. However I would like to know how you feel about infinity ward saying people who play call of duty are more casual than hardcore.

IMO; people who play call of duty 40 hours a week or more should be considered in the hardcore category. I am willing to even bring this down to a 32 hour a week stand point. My thoughts are if you put as much time and effort as a part time / full time job. That makes you hardcore. Nothing is wrong with being a hardcore gamer, but you certainly are not a casual gamer. In my mind, A preachers gonna preach, a haters gonna hate, and a gamers gonna game. That's what it boils down to. Let me know what you think.

here is the link if you would like to read the article so you can know what I am talking about.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-players-are-more-casual-than-hardcore-says-infinity-ward/1100-6415688/

#2 Posted by bezza2011 (2395 posts) -

yea i totally agree, i mean i play around an hour if that a night, but i'm very much a hardcore gamer, as thats my hobby, it's what i love to do, i just don't have the time anymore with a mrs and a little girl (until she is old enough to play games with me anyway lol).

So would i be called a casual due to the fact i hardly play??? if someone plays a game every night that is a hardcore gamer.

Causal gamers are people who play games every so often and aren't that interested in the news for gamers.

Hardcore gamers are people who love to play and are passionate towards games, no matter if it's lots of games or one game.

great example is my friend, he has a ps3, but he works alot and loves going out and doesn't really care if he plays or not but will play the latest games, that for me is a casual gamer. he can put a game down and come back to it months later without touching his console. thats casual.

hardcore means you either read up on all things games and play or that you are constantly on a game all the time you give.

#3 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -

Many who buy CoD often don't give a shit about any other game other than CoD, therefore they aren't "Hardcore", and frankly I feel they're cancer to the industry which is evident from many horror games going from being scary and unique to being a generic action and QTE heavy game.

#4 Posted by Fuzzymutt (11 posts) -

@bezza2011:

I would peg you as a casual gamer and a loving father. However this brings apart an important question. What defines a Casual / Hardcore gamer? I mean yes you play every so often, but you are on here and from what it seems you have a passion for gaming. Even though you do not play them as much. So does that alone make you a hardcore gamer?

@SirSlimyScrotum: I don't think you can justify the actions of a few for a community of millions. If E-sports has taught us anything you can be hardcore playing just one game. People who play Starcraft, LoL, CS, CoD. Those people did not get to play professionally in the esports scene by playing every game. They focused honed their skills as a hardcore player playing that one game.

That being said in your mind what defines a hardcore gamer against a casual one?

#5 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

No they aren't core gamers. Core gamers are dedicated as a gaming as a whole not only one or two games. Core gamers play multiple games and love the gaming genre as a whole. That's what a harcore gamer is.

#6 Edited by VintAge68 (408 posts) -

CoD does offer also *hardcore* multiplayer mode for those who are not satisfied with *easily* killing lots of other players in every round.

In my opinion there are also different types of hardcore gamers: those who practise a few games on a champion level, and those who are playing almost every (new) game. One might also think of the usual quality/quantity distinction here, but both types probably do spend a lot of time playing video games.

As to humble me I am above a "hardcore game buyer" (as I seem to buy a lot more games than I actually play...) ... ;P

#7 Posted by ankor77 (947 posts) -

@SirSlimyScrotum: agreed. What he meant is many who play call of duty do not play other games. Cod attracts people who are not core gamers. Thats his point

#8 Posted by marcheegsr (2528 posts) -

A lot of my friends who are casual games only play call of duty. They don't even know about some of the other great shooters that exist.

#9 Edited by Fuzzymutt (11 posts) -

@marcheegsr: I have a few friends like that. However if people are on my friends list I tend to post mass messages announcing up coming games that I would like to try and get peoples opinions and so on.

@ankor77: Who is to say they don't play other games? I think that is a common misconception about call of duty. I find that most people who play Call of Duty play other games as well. Call of Duty is so popular and has such an easy competitive feel it's easy for gamers to come back to it. I found that when GTA V came out most all of my friends on my friends list hoped over. They eventually still came back to CoD. I think it's because of it's simple yet addictive mechanics. It's also not to complicated for todays youth.

@VintAge68: I can see where you are coming from. Practicing a few games on an in depth practice type setting could make someone a hardcore gamer in those few. I seen some people from the UK just dominate at FIFA. I buy a lot of games as well. I just want to know what people consider a hardcore gamer to be.

@The_Last_Ride: So it doesn't matter how much time one puts into a single game? Hundreds, or even thousands of hours they're still just a casual gamer?

#10 Edited by FinalFighters (1402 posts) -

my child hood friend used to be a real hardcore gamer (we would have sleep overs and play Alpha 3/ MVC2 all night, and hang out at the arcades almost everyday) but as we got older he got married and had kids...Now he hardly ever play's games with me >__>

im NEVER getting married lol

#11 Posted by Fuzzymutt (11 posts) -

@FinalFighters: You can still get married. My wife and I just compromise. Marry someone who shares your interest in gaming. Gaming kept me off drug and such when I was younger. It's really not that bad for children either as long as it is moderated.

#12 Posted by lensflare15 (6174 posts) -

I would consider them hardcore CoD fans. They're not really casual since they are dedicated to a certain game, but to me a hardcore gamer is dedicated to Video Games in general, and puts a lot of time in effort into multiple games.

#13 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

its true, i know a shot load of people who ONLY play cod. I mention other games and just get blank stares.

#14 Posted by VintAge68 (408 posts) -

@fuzzymutt @The_Last_Ride: To me hardcore is both: gaming pros playing tons of games (perhaps without even finishing them) and those who practise just a few video games on a very high level: I don't think that one can despise the e-sports aspect here, even if it is people that concentrate on just one (type of) video game--FIFA, MMO, RTS, whatever.

#15 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -

@fuzzymutt @The_Last_Ride: To me hardcore is both: gaming pros playing tons of games (perhaps without even finishing them) and those who practise just a few video games on a very high level: I don't think that one can despise the e-sports aspect here, even if it is people that concentrate on just one (type of) video game--FIFA, MMO, RTS, whatever.

True, but that is different, they are actually playing that much that they are in the hardcore. They would be the exception playing a few games. But if you compare them to the casual it's a big difference. Casual don't make gaming their main hobby or make it a big part of their life

#16 Posted by ReubenAl3xander (10 posts) -

Many who buy CoD often don't give a shit about any other game other than CoD, therefore they aren't "Hardcore", and frankly I feel they're cancer to the industry which is evident from many horror games going from being scary and unique to being a generic action and QTE heavy game.

Foolish mortal

#17 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -
#18 Edited by soapman72 (2713 posts) -

Lol Hardcore gamers