Will you be done with the PS3?

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Hey guys, so obviously there is a sticky, but I am hoping the forum mods will let this one pass, just because I think this is something a lot of PSN users will want to voice their opinions on and it can't really be done in the mass sticky thread. If not, I'm sure they will lock it.

Anyway, so the main question on my mind is simple... will I be done with PS3 regardless of what happens next? Well honestly, I see to see what happens over the next week to really decide if I will be done with my PS3. They have a lot of great exclusives, and I have always loved their consoles, but at the same time, I do NOT approve of how they have been handling this situation, and honestly, this is our worst fears come to pass, because the hacker(s) basically got everything

So I don't want to take a long time drawing this out just in case it gets closed, so lets just finish up and get the poll started:

Are you going to be done with Sony when all of this is over?

KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

Maybe. It remains to be seen for me. The Playstation name is something I grew up with and Sony's products are for the most part, reliable and top quality. But like you TC, my trust in them is a bit shaken. When it comes to personal info, the consumer has a right to know if theres any possiblility of it being compromised. Sony had this problem after roughly a week, and we just now know about a possible breach with our info. Thats unacceptable, imo. Its basic damage control to warn customers of any compromised security.

Should this happen again, I'll probably be done. But I trust to a point, that Sony will not muck up like this again. Too much is on the line for them.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

I don't see what the big deal is really. I bought the PS3 simply because of the games, and I intend to keep my PS3 because of that.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Essian

I don't see what the big deal is really. I bought the PS3 simply because of the games, and I intend to keep my PS3 because of that.

enz2
very true, and Sony still has some of the best games on their console, such as MGS4, God of War, and Demon's Souls...
Homicide___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Homicide___
Member since 2011 • 79 Posts
I'll be keeping my PS3 and if i like what they have too offer next gen I'll buy the PS4...Sony didn't ask to be hacked and just like PSN, XBL could get hacked at anytime because nothing is hack-proof..So I'm not going to sale my PS3 because of this unfortunate situation. I just wish they would have gave us more info and feedback no matter how little they knew.
katana_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 katana_duo
Member since 2005 • 1751 Posts
Give me a break...people are throwing in the towel just because of this? **** happens people..i'm not throwing away my console just cause of this.
KoolzKatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KoolzKatz
Member since 2009 • 827 Posts

I am very angry at Sony but i wont be rid of the console. I payed hundreds for it and its part of my entertainment value but i will not be buying Sonys next gen console or any future Sony consoles from now on.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

The impending "revamped" PSN better do its job-- that's all i'm saying.

BurnThisCity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 BurnThisCity
Member since 2006 • 391 Posts

The poll options are kinda retarded as I don't think anyone will "get rid of" their $300 PS3 just because of a security breach. One can easily change their remove or change their credit card information, address, etc etc. However, that is not to say that I am not outraged about the incident and upset that my information has been stolen from the entrusted PSN network. The bottomline is I will now think twice about buying anything through PSN for the simple reason that I will no longer trust them in storing important financial information such as my credit card number and other things like secret questions and such. They have seriously let me down. Seriously.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Essian

The poll options are kinda retarded as I don't think anyone will "get rid of" their $300 PS3 just because of a security breach. One can easily change their remove or change their credit card information, address, etc etc. However, that is not to say that I am not outraged about the incident and upset that my information has been stolen from the entrusted PSN network. The bottomline is I will now think twice about buying anything through PSN for the simple reason that I will no longer trust them in storing important financial information such as my credit card number and other things like secret questions and such. They have seriously let me down. Seriously.

BurnThisCity
Someone already actually selected one of the first two answers. So first of all, I had to give people an answer that reflected someone wanting to get away from Sony after this nightmare. Second, don't you think that if you need to be THAT suspicious of a gaming company you are sinking hundreds of dollars into, your money might be better spent elsewhere?
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

No, I've great time with my PS3 and I'm mainly SP gamer. This whole PSN accident only affect me by slightest. A lot of SP games out there to keep me entertained. :)

cj_simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 cj_simmons
Member since 2005 • 419 Posts
I'll keep playing PS3 because PS3 has great games. Just like I'll boot up the 360 when it gets great games. I'm not going to stop enjoying my preferred console because of some hacker; doing so would be letting the hackers win. If anything, I'll be more careful with my personal information going forward. By the way, this isn't just a PSN problem. How many World of Warcraft accounts have been hacked over the years; how many cases of identity theft are there that isn't gaming related. What about a few years back when XBLA was hacked and brought down for a week. Hell, my cousin's XBLA account was hacked two weeks ago even when there wasn't any kind of organised attack on the network. One thing I have to give Sony credit for is this: From the time the PS3 was released, up until the Geohot and custom firmware debacle, PSN was almost completely devoid of modders and hackers, and I not once heard of any personal information being compromised. Then, once Geohot figured out how to hack the PS3 through Linux, Sony almost immediately took care of the problem. Then once Fail over Flow and Geohot discovered how to do it again, Sony immediately when after them. Am I pissed that Sony didn't mention that personal information was compromised until a week after it happened? YES. Am I annoyed that I can't try my hand at Mortal Kombat online? Yes. However, up until this point PSN has been one of the safest online networks, and I believe Sony is doing their best to keep it that way.
corigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 corigan
Member since 2004 • 586 Posts

I've had a PS3 for about a year now. I've played online basically twice. This hasn't really effected me at all, and does not change the enjoyment I get out of the system.

Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Weenski
Member since 2011 • 990 Posts
Any big company could potentially be hacked. It's not the first time my personal information has been compromised and it won't be the last. Welcome to the internet age!
corigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 corigan
Member since 2004 • 586 Posts

Any big company could potentially be hacked. It's not the first time my personal information has been compromised and it won't be the last. Welcome to the internet age!Weenski
+1. Banks get hacked all the time, it's nothing new. I think my personal info has been stolen atleast a dozen times in the past few years. This is only the ones they have told me about as well, so it's probably quite a bit higher than that..

WolfBlackRiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WolfBlackRiver
Member since 2009 • 250 Posts

Any big company could potentially be hacked. It's not the first time my personal information has been compromised and it won't be the last. Welcome to the internet age!Weenski

damn right! WoW comes to mind lol...my account there got hacked long ago and luckly my personal info wasnt there as far as credit cards...but ya...i'm sure someone could bork over xbox live if they really wanted to!!! Sony apparently majorly pissed someone off, and someone went out of their way to get into PSN.

cj_simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cj_simmons
Member since 2005 • 419 Posts

[QUOTE="Weenski"]Any big company could potentially be hacked. It's not the first time my personal information has been compromised and it won't be the last. Welcome to the internet age!WolfBlackRiver

damn right! WoW comes to mind lol...my account there got hacked long ago and luckly my personal info wasnt there as far as credit cards...but ya...i'm sure someone could bork over xbox live if they really wanted to!!! Sony apparently majorly pissed someone off, and someone went out of their way to get into PSN.

XBLA actually was hacked and went down for a week a few years ago. Do a Google search or look on YouTube and you'll find many cases of XBLA accounts being hacked on a regular basis.
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

No, and if anybody does it will be for the most idiotic reason.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Oh no. I don't really play online much anymore anyway. very little if I do... the PSN can't be down forever. and if I have an x360 doesn't mean Im gonna play online.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Why would i be done with the PS3? it still has some of the best exclusives out there. PSN being down doesn't effect that.

wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#21 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

No I won't be done with the PS3. I've got plenty of single player games to play anyway and the only games I play online at the moment have been Test Drive Unlimited 2 and Motorstorm Apocalypse. I'm just annoyed with the lack of information and the fact Sony don't reply to anyone on the European Playstation Blog or even the American Playstation Blog.

andyrew_02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 andyrew_02
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts
PS3 wont lose much activity, in a year, it will surpass its current activity levels.
H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts
I'm keeping my ps3, till a new console comes out. I plan to be a Sony boy from now on. This current problem is an advantage for me to play SP games like Uncharted 1, MGS4.
ozspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ozspark
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

No way.. the idea of ditching my console because we were told to go outside for once isn't going to make me throw it away.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Despite the problems, the PS3 is my favorite console. I love the exclusives. I'll just be a little more careful now when it comes to putting my info online.

GabranthXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GabranthXIII
Member since 2008 • 996 Posts

No, but i might get the next xbox once next gen consoles come out. Live just seems better to me, and i don't think it's been hacked like this before. Better safe than sorry.

caneofsomalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 caneofsomalia
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Hey, if the online community outright collapsed, I'd still have reason to use my PS3. It would take alot more to get me to throw this investment out the proverbial window.
Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

No but I'll be extremely wary of trusting Sony with my details in the future, they've lost my trust.

Forza4Champion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Forza4Champion
Member since 2011 • 722 Posts
No way,Jose! I love my ps3 games too much.
mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

not at all, any service could be hacked.. and the ps3 is still a wicked cool console.

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#31 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

I will stay loyal to sony but i will never use my card details on psn ever again, i shouldn't have been stupid enough to do that anyway so i feel partly responsible if someone has stolen my details. The ps3 is a great console with some good exclusive's that i wouldn't wanna miss out on.

CizzlesDrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CizzlesDrunk
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
not any time soon, probably sell it for the new wii next year
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

No. As soon as the PSN is back up I'll be using it as usual. If some hackers want to once again prove that they're the scum of the earth, I'll hate them, not Sony. I'm sure no network is 100% foolproof.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
no. even though i'm dissapointed with sony, i still have to use their console to play games i want to play.
bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
The only thing that worries me is that this, if serious enough, can ruin the video game side of Sony. Thus making the consumers that stick with Sony hurt. I'm gonna watch and see what takes place from this. I'll stick with Sony until I feel like they're not going to give me what I want from games. Even some news organizations, MSNBC, CNN, NBC all stated that this could be a billion dollar mistake. If so, we the Sony consumers would be the ones hurting.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No, but I am done trusting them with my personal info. I'll also be weary to buy online games for my PS3 because at any time this could happen again. I'll stick to single player only games for my PS3.

Hammstray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hammstray
Member since 2010 • 890 Posts

This is when Sony needs us the most to help them out with their problems, once they pull through, we are all going to be rejoicing! :D

boostud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 boostud
Member since 2004 • 1242 Posts

I wont be selling my PS3, but I will NEVER be using a credit card to make purchases again. I hope they learned their lesson, and have FIRED their DB administator for not encrypting the tables with passwords and CC #'s in them. Cleartext?!? Seriously?!?!??! Sony, thats just pathetic.

gta_gamer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 gta_gamer10
Member since 2009 • 432 Posts

sony are doing everything they can, if people decide to give up on their ps3 because there too impatient or because they feel there info has been stolen, then clearly they didnt buy the ps3 for the games which most people generally would do

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#42 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Definitely staying with Sony, I've always had Playstation consoles, and sad pathetic hackers won't stop me from staying with the most technically advanced console available.

mffmiguel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mffmiguel
Member since 2005 • 485 Posts
i think people are forgetting who are the enemies here, Sony is not a perfect invunarable force that some people might think. Hackers are clever criminals that have penetrated governement databases and have commited far worse crimes. ON the same note, Sony are not a bunch of flakes either, they know what thier doing and will come up with a solution. I say patience is what they need from their customers, playing offline can be alot of fun, has been for me. Even as a PS+ subscriber who will not be getting my Tues updates tonight, i still beleive in Sony as the strongest company in consloe gaming today. FLAME ON HATERS !!
Mondrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mondrath
Member since 2007 • 314 Posts

i think people are forgetting who are the enemies here, Sony is not a perfect invunarable force that some people might think. Hackers are clever criminals that have penetrated governement databases and have commited far worse crimes. ON the same note, Sony are not a bunch of flakes either, they know what thier doing and will come up with a solution. I say patience is what they need from their customers, playing offline can be alot of fun, has been for me. Even as a PS+ subscriber who will not be getting my Tues updates tonight, i still beleive in Sony as the strongest company in consloe gaming today. FLAME ON HATERS !!mffmiguel

Finally, someone who has been saying the same things I've been saying on the news comments for the last week! It's good to hear another voice of reason in the sea of negativity and PS3 slagging. All systems can be hacked, most systems HAVE been hacked, not Sony's fault. I tip my hat to you mate.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
They have a great console with fun exclusives, so no I won't get rid of it. However, this will be the LAST time I ever buy a multiplayer game for one of their consoles. Honestly, I rarely play online on the PS3 because I don't like the controller as much as the 360's, but the one time I try (to play MK and Portal 2), this happens. It's utter BS that they don't have the necessary safeguards in place to protect against such a thing. Obviously not all attacks can be stopped, but something as serious as this should have been spotted earlier, and I'm sure it was, but was just played off and not taken seriously at the time. That sort of thing happens all the time; you think something isn't worth your time, then something terrible happens as a result. I wouldn't be as mad had the hackers not gotten basically all the valuable information from customers. Passwords, security questions, credit card info, billing addresses, everything, taken. It's very VERY difficult to have any sort of confidence in Sony after a catastrophe such as this.
punchacku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 punchacku
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts

I will be keeping my console but i wanna know what will happen to the things i purchased that i never got to download b/c the network went down? Should i be held responsible for their mistakes. The network was obiviously not secure. I'm not blaming them entirely but i'm going to say they could have been more prepared for this. What if they get our cc info and use it? Shouldn't sony be held responsible? if you go to k mart and buy something and then kmart waits a week to tell you that someone hasstolen it......they would have a lawsuit on their hands.

Eagles931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Eagles931
Member since 2006 • 2136 Posts
Nah I'm keeping my ps3, this kinda made me more inclined to buy a 360 tho. I'm kinda nervous about my credit card info being compromised. If this happens again then I think I'll move on to the 360 reluctantly
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
Probably not, but I've already been considering switching to PC gaming, this was kinda the final push. I'll still hold onto it for the upcoming exclusives, but multiplats will definitely be bought on my PC, and any PSN purchases will be made off of Amazon.
WhorrorLoLz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WhorrorLoLz
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

Uhm, no.

Things happen, and it's no reason to sell your PS3 over, regardless of how Sony approaches the problem.

If people don't want to support Sony after this, the cool, but keep in mind, your PS3 is already puchased, so how does selling it matter?

I will continue to play, and buy new games on my PS3 as I always did.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

No, what a rediculious idea. If I were to quit using things because something got hacked I would have been tossing my computer in the trash long ago.