Will Walmart take back opened PS3 games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rodney130 (1139 posts) -
So if I bought a game at Walmart tomorrow and opened it, and then returned it same day, would they take it back? The reason I'm asking is because I really want MGS4, but I'm only 15 and my dad thinks it might be a little too "mature" for me. My dad wants to see it and know a bit more about it before he makes a decision on whether or not I can have it, and I really don't want to wait and rent it cause who knows how long it will be before Blockbuster or Hollywood video have it in the store. Anyway, if he won't let me get MGS4 I'm just gonna get Uncharted so it's a win win situation either way, but I would prefer MGS4. Thanks for the help.
#2 Posted by Gran_Bruce (174 posts) -
Yeah, they will. If they don't for some reason, just make a big fuss and ask to see the manager. He'll make things right.
#3 Posted by brandojones (3103 posts) -
well, if that doesn't work you could see if you got a Hollywood video coupon in the mail for a free rental. That's what I did.
#4 Posted by jazzking2001 (334 posts) -

just rent the game

try it

see if dad has any issues

#5 Posted by rodney130 (1139 posts) -
Well thanks. Hopefully they will.
#6 Posted by cebcubs1 (295 posts) -
Walmart will only allow you to exchange it for the same game. This has become the new standard for ALL STORES. It's kind of a "no piracy" thing. Any media (movies, CDs, games) can only be exchanged for exact same thing (Game A exchanged for Game A if it is open). They will take back an unopened one and return money, but not opened. Another crappy thing, if you bring it back open to exchange, they will open the new one before you leave the store. This prevents you from exchanging, leaving, then returning an unopened for $ back. You could try and get lucky that maybe the employee won't open it before you leave, but that rarely happens.
#7 Posted by sarahxgurl (9 posts) -
Yeah they will, I took back one a couple weeks ago.
#8 Posted by rodney130 (1139 posts) -

Walmart will only allow you to exchange it for the same game. This has become the new standard for ALL STORES. It's kind of a "no piracy" thing. Any media (movies, CDs, games) can only be exchanged for exact same thing (Game A exchanged for Game A if it is open). They will take back an unopened one and return money, but not opened. Another crappy thing, if you bring it back open to exchange, they will open the new one before you leave the store. This prevents you from exchanging, leaving, then returning an unopened for $ back. You could try and get lucky that maybe the employee won't open it before you leave, but that rarely happens.cebcubs1

Well then I might just buy it and if my dad doesn't like it I'll sell it on Ebay or something. Hopefully he'll let me keep it.

#9 Posted by gagit811 (3615 posts) -
they wont give your money back. they will only exchange it for the same game.
#10 Posted by sam_nintendo (2066 posts) -
you might want to try a costco. I don't know about games, but most of their return policies are incredibly lax
#11 Posted by cebcubs1 (295 posts) -
If you have a blockbuster near you, you should call them. They can look up on their computers to see when they will be getting their rental copies. The day they are supposed to come in, just keep calling them until they have gotten the shipment. If you're really nice, you should be able to get one of the employees to hold one for you. I did this with Haze.
#12 Posted by slip_killer (1261 posts) -
My local Blockbuster got the game for sale on launch day(when I got it) so I bet they will have it for rent either today or in a couple days.
#13 Posted by arikkot (751 posts) -

you might want to try a costco. I don't know about games, but most of their return policies are incredibly laxsam_nintendo

yeah they take almost everything back anytime all you have to do is show up with something that looks at least a little like the original purchase and a reciept lol.

Im exaggerating but it's def. better than Walmart.

#14 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -

They shouldn't take an opened game back unless it's defective and then only allow the consumer to only exchange it for the same game. I've seen this return policy abused far too much, thus in the end the stores have to add the cost of products on everything to make-up the difference, some returns are ok but then some are just as bad as shop-lifting.

#15 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -
I manage retail...I'd tell you that you're stuck with it if it's opened. Rent it first!!!
#16 Posted by rodney130 (1139 posts) -
Yeah, renting it first is probably a good idea. If I do end up buying it and my dad doesn't like it I guess I will just sell it on Ebay or Amazon.
#17 Posted by Caduceus06 (790 posts) -
Probably a lot less controversial compared to say GTA IV with its strong language.
#18 Posted by pukmok (775 posts) -
Mention you can turn blood off. That always seemed to lighten my mom up. Then of course turn it right back on. Also mention its encouraged you stay out of a fight and only fight when attacked.
#19 Posted by rodney130 (1139 posts) -
Mention you can turn blood off. That always seemed to lighten my mom up. Then of course turn it right back on. Also mention its encouraged you stay out of a fight and only fight when attacked.pukmok
Well, I told him that so hopefully that will be enough for him to let me at least try it haha.
#20 Posted by ReverseCycology (9768 posts) -

Tell your dad that MGS4 is also his gift for Fathers Day. ;)

But I believe if you have the receipt you can return it and/or get store credit.