Will the PS4 have 3D?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts

From the conference and stuff i've read it doesn't seem like Sony is really going forward with 3D on the PS4 which is disappointing. Does anyone know if the PS4 is going to support 3D games, movies and apps?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Most likely
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

It will have the ability.  Sony just isn't making it a priority like they were because 3D never really caught on, sadly.

Sadly because, when done right, 3D gaming (and movies) can be an incredible experience.

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

It will support 3D, but right now 4k resolution is the big new thing, so they are more concerned about that.

punisher1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 punisher1
Member since 2004 • 3290 Posts

Im pretty sure it will support 3D. 3D is pretty much a normal now and not just a forgotten fad.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Im pretty sure it will support 3D. 3D is pretty much a normal now and not just a forgotten fad.

punisher1

I disagree. People have moved on from 3D, and so have most companies. 

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
It will work great with some games, but suck with most. Not even the PC can get it right... yet.
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

It probably will, but I'd be more concerned about 4k resolution. Can't stand 3d (or motion control for that matter) myself

Johacamigames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Johacamigames
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts
Dumb question but can anyone explain to me what this "4K" is?
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GeneralMufinMan

Dumb question but can anyone explain to me what this "4K" is?Johacamigames

It's slated to be the next level of resoltuion for televisions (HD was 720p, Full HD was 1080p, 4k is 3840 x 2160 or 2160p) bascially, we're looking for the ps4 to take advantage of the enxt generation of televisions now, instead of playing catch-up later.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

[QUOTE="Johacamigames"]Dumb question but can anyone explain to me what this "4K" is?GeneralMufinMan

It's slated to be the next level of resoltuion for televisions (HD was 720p, Full HD was 1080p, 4k is 3840 x 2160 or 2160p) bascially, we're looking for the ps4 to take advantage of the enxt generation of televisions now, instead of playing catch-up later.

the problem is that we just got done convincing people they needed hd tv's (hell i still know some people with old crt tv's) knowing how much i spent on the ridiculous tv in my living room i'm not considering spending that much again really an option for at least 6-7 years.

GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeneralMufinMan

[QUOTE="GeneralMufinMan"]

[QUOTE="Johacamigames"]Dumb question but can anyone explain to me what this "4K" is?z4twenny

the problem is that we just got done convincing people they needed hd tv's (hell i still know some people with old crt tv's) knowing how much i spent on the ridiculous tv in my living room i'm not considering spending that much again really an option for at least 6-7 years.

Yes but I think this will be a 10-year console myself, so making it capable now, mean 6-7 years from now when you buy that fancy new super-hd-3d-oled-sandwich-serving-tv it will work with your PS4

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Not sure why anyone cared about 3D gaming.. but if you enjoy it then great. The PS4 will probably support it with certain games, but they seem to have stopped trying to market it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#14 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

I think that it will probably have decent 3d implementation.  They said that the PS4's menu will support 4k resolutions, and HDMI doesn't have the bandwidth for 4k, so it is most likely that they will support dual-link DVI on the PS4, or create a proprietary port that splits into dual-link DVI for use on super HD displays.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

GeneralMufinMan

Yes but I think this will be a 10-year console myself, so making it capable now, mean 6-7 years from now when you buy that fancy new super-hd-3d-oled-sandwich-serving-tv it will work with your PS4

Aren't those 4k displays expensive as hell though? Thanks but no thanks i'll stick to my crummy 1080p LG :P

GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GeneralMufinMan

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

BattleSpectre

Aren't those 4k displays expensive as hell though? Thanks but no thanks i'll stick to my crummy 1080p LG :P

Hell yeah they are, if they're even commercially available yet, but so where 1080p's when they came out, so were plasma's when they came out, so were big screen when they came out, so were dvd players when they came out...

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Yes it will, but Sony won't be putting a lot of focus on it this time.
beatrev791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 beatrev791
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
3-D just wasn't as great as everyone thought it would be. Plus, the crappy movies that were released in 3-D influenced the mass opinion about it in a bad way. Maybe when the technology gets better, the ps4 will put more focus into it. But there are so many other things that SCEA is working on it's just not a priority.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Yes, for games that are made to have it. 

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes it will have that feature.

pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

It will support 3D, but right now 4k resolution is the big new thing, so they are more concerned about that.

Schreek

Except 4K is not viable for games right now even on the highest end graphics cards. There is no way that the PS4 will ever play games in 4K.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

From the conference and stuff i've read it doesn't seem like Sony is really going forward with 3D on the PS4 which is disappointing. Does anyone know if the PS4 is going to support 3D games, movies and apps?

whitetiger3521
It probably will but luckly it seems most of the industry have put it as a side-feature and not gone crazy with. Since 3D is just a hype and a trend that luckly looks like its done.
futureman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 futureman123
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
3D has its place in our gaming and HDTV and at the Movies. The problem was all these companies came out with different 3D hardware, Sony vs Samsung vs LG vs Panasonic vs Nvidia, no wonder it did not catch on well..... Who knew what was what.... I do not think the technology is up there yet... As far as the NEW thing being Ultra-high resolution, yea, I own an iPad 3 with its resolution screen greater than the 1080p which was the highest, but I think its all for NOT because the EYES can see what the EYES can see.... I love HD viewing whether on TV or at the movies, or on the computer screen, the crisp and colorful pictures are wonderful.... but selling a product because it has 3000 x 2500 resolution is not a deal breaker for me. Remember the old HDTVs with 720p vs 1080p...well even today most TV cable HDTV shows are 720p and look great. Anyway thanks for listening....
futureman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 futureman123
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I believe it WELL support it as far as if you have an 3D HDTV you may be able to play a Blu-ray from your PS4 that's an 3D Blu-ray. I do not think you can play a 3D game unless you use a 3D Monitor with Nvidia 3D Vision emitter, I do not understand it all 100% but I have seen laptops for sale that say they "support" 3D Output.... 3D output? well anyway..... Good luck and enjoy the new PS4, I don't have the money myself but I enjoy reading about it anyway...
ManatuBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ManatuBeard
Member since 2012 • 1121 Posts

PS4 will support 3D, now if devs will bother making games in 3D its another question, since it usually requires some sacrifice of image quality.

Sony didnt advertise the 3D as much as with the PS3 because their 3D TV sales, since the ps3, havent really increased and the TV division is actually losing money now.

Sony advertised the 4K for movies only, again the sales of 4K TVs are really low and the sacrifice in visual effects of games would be BIG!

acarmeno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 acarmeno
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Yes, PS4 will absolutely have 3D as well as 4K playback. The real question is whether or not the PS4 will have 3D in 4K for an insane immersive experience. Check 3dps4games.com and 3dxboxonegames.com to see which games will have this feature.
Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I would not be surprised if the PS4 does, I can careless about it really.
Mar_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Mar_Sama
Member since 2012 • 93 Posts

I've heard that because of Performance issues the PS4 will go back to 2D visuals..... JUST JOKING. Of course it can play 3D. It actually worked fine for the XBOX 360 and PS3 even though they were developed in a time when 3D wasn't such a big thing. Don't worry even if it will not support them at start, the updates for the Consoles come regullarly now, so they surely will in the Next Gen

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#31 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts
PS3 has some 3D games and all so yes, it most likely will. It would be rather odd to not have it at all on the PS4 if the PS3 had it
jorio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By jorio1
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I have spoken to the sony exhibition representative about the ps4 capability to display 4k and he did agree with me there was no way the ps4 could possibly do it. Damn, it needed patch to get it in 1080p on the first games, and some games are still in 720p, we will have to wait for an other generation before we can really play in 4k unfortunately, or maybe we are both wrong.

gothmog56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gothmog56
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@Vari3ty: most peop[e move on ?which is why most movies are in 3d?maybe YOU moved on,but msot of have NOT.what i do not understand is the hatred of 3d.if you do not like 3d fine and dandy.but NO ONE is forcing you to watch it.

people like you just cannot stand that its on the system.by the way it is ON the system,you can download the pinball game and play it in 3d.it supports 3d,just not the detection OF 3d.nor the 3d playing off blu ray.why they choose to go after 4k which is years away from being accepted.sorry i am not about to drop 3k on a NEW tv.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Eventually via a firmware undate PS4 will support 3D but for Movies only. there are no plans for PS4 games to be offered in 3D. Which is a shame since I have the 3D 24 inch playstation moniter. Which I would have liked to use with PS4.

No such luck as 3D gaming ended up as a fad. Sony did try as lots of PS3 games were offered in 3D but no PS4 games will be in 3D.

PS6 may offer 3D once Sony can do glasses free 3D. But for now 3D has died out.

jakesnakeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 jakesnakeel
Member since 2003 • 326 Posts

Zen Pinball 2 on the ps4 is 3D. That's the only game that I have seen use it. But the ps4 itself does support it right now.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

It's beyond retarded that they launched PS4 without 3D movie playback functionality, it's a piss poor way to support Sony's own agenda, unless they are bailing on 3D completely. Even then I can't imagine it being much effort to allow 3D playback versus none, people either use it or don't.

Gloriaivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gloriaivy
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts

From a technical standpoint, the PS4 system supports 3D gameplay, though no titles are currently 3D compatible. 3D Blu-ray movies are playable on the PS4 if you have system software 1.75 or higher. Read the info here.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@gloriaivy said:

From a technical standpoint, the PS4 system supports 3D gameplay, though no titles are currently 3D compatible. 3D Blu-ray movies are playable on the PS4 if you have system software 1.75 or higher. Read the info here.

DON¨T SCAVENGE 2 YEAR OLD THREADS !!!!!!