will shooters be as popular when call of duty ends

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RKOkyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RKOkyle
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
will shooters be as popular when call of duty ends
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

call of dutys not ending for a loooooonnnnng time butshooters proably would still be popular.

jrorl63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jrorl63
Member since 2003 • 723 Posts
call of duty wont ever end. shooters will be exactly the same for the next 10 years. cod needs to burn and die already
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

Call of Duty is among the undead now. There's nothing we can do to stop it...:cry:

Kismetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kismetic
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

COD games are just like death & taxes. They will never go away

NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
Well genres rise and fall. Shooters will peak and then fall off and something will replace it as the top genre that people play. Things will cycle and it will come back in the future. It's happen with others and it will happen with shooters in time. I can see it happening with Call of Duty due to the yearly installments. Flood the market to often and people will start getting sick of it. Especailly if something different comes out that offers a different experience but is as fulfilling.
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

COD doesn't speak or breath life to other shooters... if it ends, there's still Killzone, Battlefield, Resistance, etc... it depends on what gamers will enjoy next...

00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

Shooters never seem to die :( Ugh soon developers are gonna stop making amazing games to cater to FPS people :(

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
CoD wont end until the shooter genre is no longer the cash cow of the industry, its not the type of series that will carve out a niche that lets to continue to exist in a genre that isn't as popular as it use to be. But CoD will certainly not end BEFORE shooters lose their popularity, no Activision will ride that sinking ship and get as much out of it as they can.
00Killaz00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 00Killaz00
Member since 2010 • 1014 Posts

CoD wont end until the shooter genre is no longer the cash cow of the industry, its not the type of series that will carve out a niche that lets to continue to exist in a genre that isn't as popular as it use to be. But CoD will certainly not end BEFORE shooters lose their popularity, no Activision will ride that sinking ship and get as much out of it as they can. Sepewrath

Sadly :(

Avatar image for TroubleMaker411
TroubleMaker411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 TroubleMaker411
Member since 2009 • 1445 Posts

I think if and when Call Of Duty ends, it will actually be a good thing for the shooter world.

FPS games have felt stale for a long time.

Outside of the big franchises (battlefield, halo, call of duty) there isn't much room or want for shooters to be different. While we are all paying for a re-skinned call of duty every year, other companies simply try to copy it.

Ofcourse there are obvious exceptions (Killzone, MAG for example) but until Call of Duty stops dictating how shooters all play, there is no need for companies to bring a little innovation to our games.

Here's hoping that killzone 3, bulletstorm and maybe portal 2 show gamers that there are decent, well made games outside of the call of duty world and it either forces Infinity Ward/Treyarch/Sledgehammer to do something new and different. Or it shows activision that the same stale thing every year just isn't good enough.

I suppose we can but hope

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i wish it would end, games like resistance and killzone and battlefield are all better shooters than cod games in my honest opinion
_fark_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 _fark_
Member since 2005 • 577 Posts

Call of duty is on it's way out already. Everyone I know is unimpressed with this years version and hate the online aspects.. which was the main reason most bought it. In my opinion the Cod will be on decline from now on, unless they can pull something great out of the bag..

Axcalay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#14 Axcalay
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts
Shooters were pretty popular before Call of duty you know.
NooBAFIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 NooBAFIED
Member since 2006 • 4136 Posts
there going to come out with a new type of shooter franchise that will blow away CODs out of the water
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Call of Duty? End? BAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! :lol:
Avatar image for BYOBofTOXCITYXX
BYOBofTOXCITYXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BYOBofTOXCITYXX
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i heard from one of my friends that infinity ward lost the rights to call of duty after a law suit so its safe to say call of duty wont ever end but it will be in other hands like treyarch which i think treyarch honestly redeemed themselves with black ops because world at world kinda stunk the call of duty series starting going modern and treyarch tried to go back to WWII it is only my opinion that world at war was bad but call of duty was always a great series i got so hooked on modern warfare then modern warfare 2 now black ops long live CALL OF DUTY but as for first person shooter's there are so many that are made but they wont ever take CoD place.i'm hoping for a scary first person shooter if anyone has any suggestions??
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
i think we will have bigger issues during the apocalypse. Until then, I see no end to COD.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Activision will do with Call of Duty exactly what they did with Guitar Hero - oversaturate the market with it until nobody can stand the sight of it any more.

ravens8652

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ravens8652
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
CoD will probably never end, and if it does no game will come close to its success and amazingness. Any game that has tried to be like CoD has failed. Medal of Honor is terrible and battlefield is "ok". Shooters will still be popular like ghost recon, and counter strike
CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

Probably not.

rattleheadxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rattleheadxyz
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

Nah, FPS games, like any genre, will still be popular as long as developers are still able to create new and interesting ideas within that context. See Borderlands, and Bulletstorm.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
FPSes have been around and have been super popular for a long time. Once CoD is oversaturated and stops selling (Given how long it took Activision to destroy Guitar Hero and the fact they are lining up a lot of devs to make CoD games, signalling they are going for one massive market saturing push to get as much money as possible before it dies, this wont be long a year or two maybe) some other FPS series will get popular. Hopefully something that actually deserves it. Like Crysis!
bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
Shooters were popular before CoD.....so the answer is yea they'll still be popular,
RD_Nukem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RD_Nukem
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts
What made shooters popular was online play. Just that COD (used) to be the best shooter. So everyone has jumped on that bandwagon. But it won't last long if they keep on making the same rehashed game. I never bought Black Ops because I already have three other games that do the same thing (Cod: MW, Cod: WAW, and MW1).

Activision will HAVE to to do something different, or skip a year because the hardcore FPS gamers have already lost interest and soon the casual fans will follow suit. But shooters are the best thing to play online, THAT's why they are the most popular, NOT because of COD.
Stressthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Stressthesky
Member since 2009 • 490 Posts

10 years ago people were asking when fps games would just drop dead and disappear. Well, they never did and will probably be around for a long time.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
It's just a fluctuation in popularity, CoD helped propel it. A few more years, something else will take the place of the FPS just how JRPGs were extremely popular during the PS1 era and most of the PS2 era. Developers and publish will push out content to satisfy the masses and make as much profit as possible, it just the way things work.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

What made shooters popular was online play. Just that COD (used) to be the best shooter. So everyone has jumped on that bandwagon. But it won't last long if they keep on making the same rehashed game. I never bought Black Ops because I already have three other games that do the same thing (Cod: MW, Cod: WAW, and MW1).

Activision will HAVE to to do something different, or skip a year because the hardcore FPS gamers have already lost interest and soon the casual fans will follow suit. But shooters are the best thing to play online, THAT's why they are the most popular, NOT because of COD. RD_Nukem

CoD was never "the best shooter."

Ever.

It did nothing original, and the only reason it is popular is the low barrier of entry that allows anyone who isn't good at shooters to jump in and get kills easily.

RD_Nukem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RD_Nukem
Member since 2011 • 58 Posts
When the original COD 4 was out in November 2007, it was the best shooter IMO.
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

[QUOTE="RD_Nukem"]What made shooters popular was online play. Just that COD (used) to be the best shooter. So everyone has jumped on that bandwagon. But it won't last long if they keep on making the same rehashed game. I never bought Black Ops because I already have three other games that do the same thing (Cod: MW, Cod: WAW, and MW1).

Activision will HAVE to to do something different, or skip a year because the hardcore FPS gamers have already lost interest and soon the casual fans will follow suit. But shooters are the best thing to play online, THAT's why they are the most popular, NOT because of COD. kieranb2000

Ever.

It did nothing original, and the only reason it is popular is the low barrier of entry that allows anyone who isn't good at shooters to jump in and get kills easily.

No, but it was the first to combine elements from many other games like Counter Strike, Quake and leveling and persistence of Battlefield into one game. On the campaign side it was the pretty stunning for bringing the series in the modern age combined with the set pieces and an actually, original storyline. At least with Call of Duty 4 it was ground breaking, especially for consoles and is one of the reasons why FPSs are so popular on consoles now. I don't care if you don't like the series(I personally don't care for anything after CoD4) but you can't deny its impact on online shooters, specifically console online shooters.

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
CoD has no affect on the popularityof shooters, i dont even play any of the CoD games and i have a bunch of FPS games. as for the series dying, people will grow tired of it the more they release them and eventually they wont make as much proffit as they useto leading to the game being more trouble to make than it is worth just look at other games and movies
crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts

[QUOTE="kieranb2000"]

[QUOTE="RD_Nukem"]What made shooters popular was online play. Just that COD (used) to be the best shooter. So everyone has jumped on that bandwagon. But it won't last long if they keep on making the same rehashed game. I never bought Black Ops because I already have three other games that do the same thing (Cod: MW, Cod: WAW, and MW1).

Activision will HAVE to to do something different, or skip a year because the hardcore FPS gamers have already lost interest and soon the casual fans will follow suit. But shooters are the best thing to play online, THAT's why they are the most popular, NOT because of COD. anime_gamer007

Ever.

No, but it was the first to combine elements from many other games like Counter Strike, Quake and leveling and persistence of Battlefield into one game. On the campaign side it was the pretty stunning for bringing the series in the modern age combined with the set pieces and an actually, original storyline. At least with Call of Duty 4 it was ground breaking, especially for consoles and is one of the reasons why FPSs are so popular on consoles now. I don't care if you don't like the series(I personally don't care for anything after CoD4) but you can't deny its impact on online shooters, specifically console online shooters.

it kinda reminded me of battlefield 2 but smaller and less things to do, but better graphics and on consoles

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Shooters where fine before COD and will be long after.