Why so much hate for Infamous: Second Son?

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I got this a couple weeks ago for a birthday present and I just beat the game (Good karma) and I must say that right off the bat this is my favorite Infamous game. This game definitely delivers one of the best stories and powers to date yet people seem to really gripe about it. Why is that?

The only real problem I have with it is that morality system and the tagging segments, but other than that this game is a really great game.

MartinOnline1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MartinOnline1
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I didn't know there was much hate for this game? Personally felt it was received pretty well but has somewhat become forgotten.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I guess everyone has there opinion.

I played Infamous 1 and then Infamous 2. Then jumped into Second son right away. The game is probably the best looking game on the ps4, has cool powers, but for me the story was bland and side missions were so repetitive. Also the game is really short. It was a let down.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@marcheegsr said:

I played Infamous 1 and then Infamous 2. Then jumped into Second son right away. The game is probably the best looking game on the ps4, has cool powers, but for me the story was bland and side missions were so repetitive. Also the game is really short. It was a let down.

I felt Second Son was the best story in the series so far. I like the first two games in terms of gameplay, but I always felt like the stories and characters weren't anything special. Cole was always extremely one-dimensional and at least Delsin is a character with some depth and I felt a connection with him while playing the good story. I feel like Second Son's dose of realism played off really good.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@marcheegsr said:

I felt Second Son was the best story in the series so far. I like the first two games in terms of gameplay, but I always felt like the stories and characters weren't anything special. Cole was always extremely one-dimensional and at least Delsin is a character with some depth and I felt a connection with him while playing the good story. I feel like Second Son's dose of realism played off really good.

I agree that Deslin is a way better character then Cole.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

It was just kinda boring to me. I didn't care for the story and I didn't feel like the powers were that awesome other than Neon.. I basically used Neon the whole game once it's unlocked. Concrete is kinda cool.... But just kinda.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@MethodManFTW said:

It was just kinda boring to me. I didn't care for the story and I didn't feel like the powers were that awesome other than Neon.. I basically used Neon the whole game once it's unlocked. Concrete is kinda cool.... But just kinda.

At first I only liked Neon, but once I started experimented with the other powers I learned to like em a lot. Concrete is a little on the boring side, but video, smoke and neon were lots of fun and I enjoyed the variety.

tonyl96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tonyl96
Member since 2014 • 40 Posts

I've never liked infamous, something about it just keeps me away from it

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#9 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

I think if you step back and take an objective look at all the infamous games you'll realize Sucker Punch is not fantastic at making open world games. Their side missions are WAY more recitative and systematic than any other open world game. I think infamous games should be enjoyed for story and the action aspects of the gameplay the side-missions are somewhat throw-away imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

I dont see hate for the game. I just think people think the game was pretty good, but not great. I loved the neon powers, but the others were meh. Compared to other open world games like sunset or dead rising 3 I felt infamous fell short of those a bit(except for gfx, infamous is very pretty).

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

The problem I had with Second Son was the Evil path felt like a add-on. The previous Infamous games had the evil path done well, everybody was scare of Cole as you progress through the game but in Second Son, Delsin brother wasn't scare at all, he stick to your side no matter what if you were good or bad, Delsin was still good in there eyes to Fetch and Eugene, the evil path could have been done better. Second Son was fun, Smoke was my most use power, Neon was close to electric so I like it the most and the speed was so helpful. Video (should have name it Digital) was an odd power but flight was also useful. Now Concrete power was underwhelming, it doesn't have that great power in terms what Augustine weld it. That said, the evil path was my main complaints and I doubt we'll ever get another Infamous game, I hope we do.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I enjoyed it but yea it was a pretty repetitive game and became quite bored in places, great graphics tho, wasn't to keen on the story, didn't have the same feel to the other 2.

it might just be me and my way of thinking, but the powers just seemed so similar to the electric powers, except they changed it to smoke, and a few extra things you could do, and the neon power except from the fast running which i felt was a bit slow esp compared to when your chasing the girl with the neon powers, I just felt like i'd done it all before.

Plus the evil side didn't change anything up so there was no point, it still carried the same story and I think at this point if your going to have a good and evil thing going on, it has to actually mean something or why bother.

Overall it was a good game, but for me personally I want them to step away from Infamous now, it's getting old, move on to new and exciting projects, I just don't want repeated franchises leave them on the PS3 and move on, so when we look back and go o remember that infamous series on PS3 it was so good, now it spans across 2 generations and sort of makes it, not as special.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Too short, lacked compelling content. Good game, just need more... well, game.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I had a good time with the game.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

The game was great, but the characters were not interesting. The main villain was barely in the game, and it was kind of dumb for them to give you the fourth power during the fight with the final boss. The side missions were the same in each part of town. Infamous 2 had the best side missions and user generated content. The first game had the best characters and story. The third game had the best sense of travel. The blast shards were sort of annoying to hunt down instead of being fun. I did not like how the majority of them were shot down from the air inside those drones. I liked buildings and searching for them. Granted this change was placed in order accommodate the new powers, but the way the first two games handled blast shards was better. It is still one of the best titles on PS4 so far. Anyone who has not picked the game up should do so during the Black Friday sale. It is $20 right now.

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

I really liked this game and is no doubt one of the best looking next gen game. I praise it

MichaelK14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MichaelK14
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

I think the game is amazing. I have not played any other inFamous Games, but this is one of my favourites.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

after a while it becomes repetative

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19  Edited By Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

It got repetitive towards the end and I didn't like the boss battles. Other than that I had a lot of fun with this game. Then again Second Son is the only Infamous game I've played

Avatar image for blazinghabanero
BlazingHabanero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BlazingHabanero
Member since 2018 • 14 Posts

It does get repetitive over time, but I personally loved that game. It was the first PS4 game that I played and now that we're talking about it makes me want to play it again. Did anyone bother to play First Light? If not then I suggest you pick it up as it adds a lot of depth to Fetch who was already my heartthrob.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I think Infamous games haven't gotten the love they deserve, I've liked all of them.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

The fans didn't like that you only had 1 gang of enemies.

In 1 and 2 you had 3 variants, while in SS you had the DUP that had concrete powers.

I love the game, but i get where some of the hate comes.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#24 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu:

The biggest thing I disliked about Second Son is that even when you get fully powered, you never feel as strong as Cole was. And that's because the main dude could never take 100% of someone else's powers.

xBlackErrthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xBlackErrthing
Member since 2017 • 97 Posts

I quit enjoyed it, Kinda want to play it again.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: Agreed. By the time Infamous 1 & 2 were ready to end you're like an unstoppable god of destruction. In Second Son you never really feel as strong as Cole was. His powers were ridiculous lol