Why is the PS3 doing so poorly?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xaeron73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xaeron73
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I'm just not quite sure why the Playstation 3 is doing so horribly. I know it's expensive, and I've heard that the cell processors are hard to develop games for, but that doesn't seem like enough reason for the PS3 to be doing so poorly. I remember a few months ago, before they released it, everyone seemed really pumped about it. So yeah, I don't know. I have one and I love the thing. So maybe someone can enlighten me? lol
boss130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 boss130
Member since 2003 • 516 Posts

Enjoy your time off from the boards buddy.  You actually sound sincere but this post is bound to be locked by the end of the day.  There have been 3,459 posts stating the same blah blah blah.  The PS3 is fine...in fact its GREAT!  Stop listening to heresay and enjoy your new system.

Next time before you post do yourself a favor and check out the boards

BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
it's doing fine
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
No exclusive games that are worth shelling out 600$ for.
Most gamers already have a 360 so why go out and buy a PS3 when the same games are available for 360?

dragonwiz0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 dragonwiz0d
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts
there is no killer app title at the time. the 360 had a years head start and it managed to snatch up a bunch of great games. this does not mean that the ps3 is dead by any manner. there are still exclusives for it such as ffxiii and mgs4. sony has great 3rd party support but the instal base isnt large enough for publishers to make money. but over the next few months developers will start to take advantage of the nice 50 gig storage on the blu ray disks and the power of the cell. price drops will happen this year putting pressure on microsoft. eventually sony will have the advantage because 9 gigs will just be too small for video games and the high definition that is demanded by consumers. sony will win eventually but the first few months will be a little rough. do not lose hope.
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts

I blame the ps2. See, the ps2 still has many games that have just come out for it or are coming out for it in the near future. I know many ps2 fans (some i'd even call Sony fanboys) who can't see buying a ps3 for Resistance when FFXII and Rogue Galaxy just came out for the ps2 and GoW2 and Manhunt 2 are still on the way. They all plan on getting a ps3 before the end of the year, though.

Had Sony abandoned the ps2 like Nintendo and M$ did the GCN and the Xbox, ps2 owners would've had to get a new console to keep getting new games. However, they don't have to. This is one reason i love Sony. They provide their customers with consoles with longevitiy. They support their consoles for ten years, literally.

Also, the ps3 isn't really doing bad at all. People keep comparing it to the Wii, but the Wii's launch period has been phenominal, compared to the average console launch, so of course anythign else is going to pale in comparison. Honestly, the Wii is selling so well because Zelda is a launch title, in addition to the system being so innovative. I hadn't planned on getting one until about a year after launch, but when they made Twilight Princess a launch title (a game i had pre-ordered since May '05) i knew i had to get one at launch (even though it was still coming out for GC). Once my roomate played mine, he just had to get one as well, and he camped out the day after Thanksgiving and got one with Zelda. I think this is why the Wii is doing surprisingly well, so you can't really compare it to a $600 console without any system-sellers, like so many people seem keen on doing.

TOSgamer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 TOSgamer10
Member since 2006 • 385 Posts
$$$$$$  Its not doing poorly but not doing as well as the cheaper system.  The fact is there are alot of people who can't afford one or can't justify that much money for a game system.  If you could even find a 20 gig system add tax, 1 extra controller and 1 game you are pushing $650+.  Thats alot of cash to pump out for working class teenagers or college students on a tight budget.  I can afford one but just can't justify it right now.  I have plenty of games to play on my other systems so I'd rather just keep my money for now.
ihatebugers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 ihatebugers
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts
If it's doing so horribly then why is it outselling the 360 (comparitively at launch).
Sure, it's not splitting the heavens like Sony hoped it would, but to say it's doing horribly is being a little naive.
LoboSolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LoboSolo
Member since 2002 • 1136 Posts
What did Flavor Flav say? Oh yeah, "Don't believe the hype!".
Radiozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Radiozo
Member since 2006 • 2413 Posts
It is selling faster than the PS2 did when it got released so it is doing pretty well. Its just that the Wii is doing even better. But the dont really compete for the same type of users so the Wii is not a threat.
Sedin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Sedin44
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
Simple.  Too much $$ for too little games.
r11011b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 r11011b
Member since 2006 • 487 Posts
Well, honestly, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. I was surprised, as well, though...I had thought that with the massive following of the PS2, PS3 would have no problem. But so it is.

I think a lot of people just want it to fail. I don't know why. They say that Sony's arrogant...but I remember comments by Microsoft that were just as arrogant -- if not more -- than what the Sony people have been saying. A few examples I can site are mostly out of Moore's mouth (bashing Sony's online capabilities, nobody needs backwards compatability, Wii's a good secondary console...all sound somewhat arrogant to me).

Secondly, everyone seems to have a serious lack of long-term memory...the 360's launch was, IMO, aweful as well. I know -- I was there. It wasn't until Oblivion was released that things started to get better for me personally, and that was a few months after the console launched. The same can be said about PS2.

So it all boils down to...what? Bad press? It's fun to bash the former king? I have a feeling we're just experiencing a simple balance of power...if someone gets on top, everyone else groups together to take them down.