Why hasn't the PSP been discontinued yet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ChiefFreeman (5518 posts) -

There hasn't been a game release for the system in several months -- at least nothing worth noting. And most retailers have little to no PSP games anymore. So, why doesn't Sony just discontinue the PSP already? Theres no point in continuing to manufacture a system when there's no new software that's going to be released for it.

#2 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18402 posts) -
People must be buying it for them to still be making them. Not sure why they would bother making them when no games are being made anymore. They should be focussed on the Vita.
#3 Posted by SoNin360 (5446 posts) -
I don't exactly know how many they are making, but if they are still selling they keep pushing out on the market. But yes, you're right, it has been abandoned as far as software goes. It makes sense for the DS to still be well in circulation because it's still selling relatively well and there are games still being made for it.
#4 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
sonys 10 year life cycle still sells in japan
#5 Posted by Newhopes (4533 posts) -

Still loads of games released in Japan more than the Vita.

#6 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
I'll give you the Japanese answer... Games are STILL coming out for it in Japan and ONLY in Japan, which makes me angry and plus it's still a huge hit.
#7 Posted by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

Still selling a lot in JPN and JPN devs are developing for it..

If anything, I think Sony's starting to slowly discontinue PSP support on the US.

Just more than a week ago there were supplies of the extended battery pack.. now, they're nowhere to be found (most large retailers and even Sony.com).

>.<

#8 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -

There hasn't been a game release for the system in several months -- at least nothing worth noting. And most retailers have little to no PSP games anymore. So, why doesn't Sony just discontinue the PSP already? Theres no point in continuing to manufacture a system when there's no new software that's going to be released for it.

ChiefFreeman
Because you're wrong. In Japan the PSP gets multiple releases a month and still has high quality games coming out with new releases well into 2013.. In the U.S. the PSP is still getting quite a few niche RPGs though most are released digital only due to piracy and the risk of going physical.
#9 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Sony only just now stopped distributing the PS2 to Japan so I'd imagine it's going to still be a while before they stop making the PSP all together.