Why aren't there more PS4 game demos?

#1 Edited by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

Why aren't there more demos for new releases on the PS4?

I've noticed that only some games have them, both indie and not. So, why not have them for all? I think in the case of "Child of Light", there should be one. I'm not much a fan of RPG type games, but this one looks interesting. I just don't want to waste my money to find out it's not something I'd like. Sometimes, it's hard to just go off of reviews online.

Did Sony ever comment on why they don't have more demos out now?

#2 Posted by Freeze-dried (79 posts) -

Good question.

I guess demos can be Sony's friend or enemy. Demos can encourage someone to buy a game, or turn them off completely (in which case they might've bought the game had they not played the demo). For that reason, Sony have to carefully pick which games have demos and which don't.

Just a guess.

#3 Posted by bezza2011 (2321 posts) -

I honestly understand where your coming from, and once upon a time every game had some sort of demo even GTA, my other rant against the PSN store, is how disorganized the store is, I mean the old PS3 one used to give me a dedicated tab for all demo's and now it's just there, someone needs to sort the shop out so it can function with ease.

on topic, the problem is it isn't Sony who has the say, it's the developers on whether they want to make a demo portion for you or not, it isn't as simple as just blocking a bit of the game off, they basic have to make a completely different separate code, don't blame Sony blame the developers who don't feel the need to give us demo's anymore.

#4 Posted by GiantAssPanda (1594 posts) -

Not that many PS4 games yet to begin with I guess.

#5 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

@bezza2011:

Okay, I blame the developers then. lol

I'm just thinking it would be such a good move to have more demos for newer games coming out. I know the Xbox 360 was very good about doing this and I've bought a lot of games that I probably wouldn't have if not for the playable demo.

#6 Posted by bezza2011 (2321 posts) -

@jasean79: I agree there are a few games i'd like to play demo's of just to get a feel of them but there isn't, maybe in time we will get them, but for developers at the moment time is money and they want money and demo's take time so you never know what will happen.

#7 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69887 posts) -

according to studies, demo's make games sell way less. So i understand them for doing it, but it also sucks. It does cost companies money to make them though, so keep that in mind

#8 Edited by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

according to studies, demo's make games sell way less. So i understand them for doing it, but it also sucks. It does cost companies money to make them though, so keep that in mind

But how much money?

Take for instance on the PS4. They have "king oddball" which I believe is an indie title correct? There is a demo available for that game. Now judging by what I've seen of it (Angry Birds style gameplay), there's no way a title like this would be popular amongst the general gaming population. So, if what you say is true, then they're actually kicking themselves in the butt twice - they're losing money in that not a lot of people would buy the game to begin with and losing money because they made a demo for a game that not a lot of people would buy to begin with. I don't know, maybe those developers are risk takers and hoping that they'll get lucky?

#9 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69887 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

But how much money?

Take for instance on the PS4. They have "king oddball" which I believe is an indie title correct? There is a demo available for that game. Now judging by what I've seen of it (Angry Birds style gameplay), there's no way a title like this would be popular amongst the general gaming population. So, if what you say is true, then they're actually kicking themselves in the butt twice - they're losing money in that not a lot of people would buy the game to begin with and losing money because they made a demo for a game that not a lot of people would buy to begin with. I don't know, maybe those developers are risk takers and hoping that they'll get lucky?

It's a pretty significant amount, it was discovered during DICE conference last year where someone revealed it

#10 Edited by Prince_Denspion (2573 posts) -

Maybe just my perspective, but I do feel I had a lot more demos available for me when I first got the PS3 a few months after it launched. I was able to try out some of the big launch titles such as Resistance Fall of man which convinced me to buy the full version of the game.

#11 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Blame the publishers, they have more say than the developers. Regardless, I miss the days of bountiful demos. If Stryder didn't have a demo I wouldn't have known how much I liked it.

#12 Posted by BattleSpectre (5954 posts) -

Demos are long gone, like physical media will be soon.

#13 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -
#14 Posted by BattleSpectre (5954 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@BattleSpectre:

Demos are still digital, so they should remain, no?

Just using an example, I meant just like physical media will soon be dead, so will game demos.

#15 Posted by SgtSutton (325 posts) -

What about releasing a demo after the game has been out for a while? Take a game like Knack, I have no idea how well it sold, but now that it is probably past its top sales at least, release a demo and maybe get some new people to buy it

#16 Posted by Articuno76 (18686 posts) -

This video might be relevant:

#17 Edited by PimpHand_Gamer (195 posts) -

We still have family video near me. So I just rent it.