Whose getting the Oculus Rift at launch?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Whose getting the Oculus Rift at launch? (19 votes)

Day 1! 26%
Maybe later! 16%
I have no interest 53%
other 5%

So I've been following the Oculus rift VR headset and I'm stoked to see what potential it has, so far no release date or final price other than developer kits.

I am looking forward to getting it and plan on getting it day 1 and preordering when it officially has a release date.

Who else is planning on going virtual and who thinks it may just be a gimmick?

• 
gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

I have one (V1.0)...call it a tax-return-spring-fling-I can learn it...right?...sorta purchase. It's hard to sum up, but going off the software available, I had this neat sense that gaming had been taken back to 1991 again, where the experience was larger than the graphic ability.

Yet after the dust settled, I found most of the demos were just things to look at, and not really games. The kit has been in it's case for longer than it's been out, and I don't have the same sense of can-do attitude now that their business model has skipped straight to prime-time. (I will admit, I'm also bitter that the learning curve is gigantic in my mind, & I'm more a modeler than a programmer).

I'm only torn between keeping it for a historical collective piece, or selling it on e-bay for a reasonable asking price.

It is still a fun gadget to try out, yet to actually release a game, you pretty much need Unity-Pro which is expensive.

So long-story short, I'll wait a year after it's "released" and see what "games" are polished by then, I just can't contribute to the day-one market, and will hopefully lose my grudge before then. It still has promise to be that next-thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2 10854
Member since 2014 • 116 Posts

No interest. I'm perfectly content with non-oculus rift gamming.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Errrrmmmm think you've got the wrong board, Oculus Rift has nothing to do with SONY or it's consoles it's a PC thing.

Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

Which one is being developed by sony? there are currently 2 VR headsets being developed, i forget what the other one is.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts

occulus rift, 3d, motion control, etc. can all be lumped into the gimmick category for me. just give me a damn controller and a regular tv and I'm good

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

i think you mean Sony's Project Morpheus. Oculus rift is the VR headset for PC gaming.

Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

@FinalFighters said:

i think you mean Sony's Project Morpheus. Oculus rift is the VR headset for PC gaming.

Ohhh ok, so project Morpheus is what I'm thinking of. The one being developed by Sony of course.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i have no interest in gimmicks, Virtual Boy, Motion gaming, 3D, and now virtual reality. It's all crap

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

i have no interest in gimmicks, Virtual Boy, Motion gaming, 3D, and now virtual reality. It's all crap

^
Indeed. Same age-old gimmicks coming back in full force. So few people even want this sort of thing, let alone people who are willing to shell out cash on it. There will be a few dozen games that support it but it will never be essential for any sort of must-have gaming experience. I'm sure it's fun for the few who are into this sort of this, but I'm in the camp of people who will never find wearing goggles on my head particularly immersive. A big picture on a nice screen with Hi-Fi speakers is a much more immersive experience - best part is you can share this immersive experience with anyone you want.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I wear glasses, nearsighted... it's a chore for me to force myself to charge and wear my Sony 3D glasses let alone wear some wonky virtual reality dome on my head.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

1) I see this as an expensive novelty akin to 3D.

2) Most of the kinds of games I enjoy cannot benefit from such a device.

3) I actually think motion control gaming has more value to it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#12 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

^

Indeed. Same age-old gimmicks coming back in full force. So few people even want this sort of thing, let alone people who are willing to shell out cash on it. There will be a few dozen games that support it but it will never be essential for any sort of must-have gaming experience. I'm sure it's fun for the few who are into this sort of this, but I'm in the camp of people who will never find wearing goggles on my head particularly immersive. A big picture on a nice screen with Hi-Fi speakers is a much more immersive experience - best part is you can share this immersive experience with anyone you want.

It's for the interested, but it's a freaking gimmick, it doesn't enhance gaming

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I think I'll get it day one, if it isn't to expensive, from what people are saying it's pretty amazing once you put it on, the fact is, we may call this a gimmick but in the futrue this sort of stuff will be the norm, I mean the 80's and 90's predicted this in films lol it's all coming true, but anyway I live in a house which will soon be full of kids and a nagging wife lol so anything which pulls me out of this reality for a few hours will be bliss lol, I think just playing normal games with it would be amazing,