who preorders games digital or retailers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ewalthour

Poll who preorders games digital or retailers (15 votes)

yes digital only 13%
yes retail only 73%
wait for rev 13%
no to retail 7%

I had to ask the poll. It drives me crazy how gamers waste money and this article from polygon confirms why hate digital preorders. Now I pre-order but only retail and in a minute I will change my pre-order if I read majority of the reviews are crappy.

Most gamers should be from age 20-40 and with families. Money probably doesn't grow on trees nor do you have a huge inheritance sitting in the bank. I really get sick to my stomach when people pre-order games digitally a yr or more before the game comes out and don't have a clue how good the games is with barely one article or hands on impression or real substantial videos

When I pre-order a game in a store it is from games I traded in that I knew I couldn't sell well to a person. The store gave me 40-50% in addition to regular trade in value. I work the trade in system plus preorder games to get even more money for trade in.

Games are like cars that depreciate soon as you open the wrapper so take advantage of retail trade ins not digital ones. Read this article to see how you get screwed with preorders and also not waiting for reviews.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/10/5887425/aliens-isolation-ripley-preorder-exclusive-no

• 
ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

Why in the he'll you can't edit polsl? I meant to say ....NO wait for reviews for the 3rd poll question.The last question can be deleted. I think the link want work since I may have typed something in the link. Just go to polygon.com

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

People who trade in games should stop gaming

Overall I preorder for bonuses and lower prices, if digital offered the same sales and bonuses for preorders I'd do it digitally.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ewalthour

@Jaysonguy: normally I would ignore dumb blood clots but you are just a stupid moron. So people should keep games forever. Never sell game no matter if you are either played the game til the last drop or the game was a mistake to buy?

I do think by my post and polls that I discover that a lot of gamers are very narrow minded and just dumb as haitis. Keep giving these companies your money without educating yourself on if a game is quality or just buy every damn thing with a shiny cover. Keep buying games based on litlle to no research on opinions from websites and reviews. Keep games that you confess suck and regret purchasing but don't want to offend the developer by not trading and getting some value back from the game. Developers love those stupid and loyal to a fault gamer that think with their balls not with their brain and a educated consumer.

Example, so at a whim you buy a car without research and test driving and reading online opinions of the vehicle. Oh that's a pretty car/ videogame. Then once you play it the demo or trailer was the best part of the game.

Man their are some idiots in this world I really don't have a problem if you like wasting money. My problem is dummies like who Don't think gamers should take advantage of the gaming market. Bartering and getting value for purchasing games whether the game is good but you are tired of the game after exhausting all it gameplay or if the game is a bust if part of the industry. Matter of fact gamestop thrives on game reuturn by giving you less than half of the value for games even if the game is a day old after unwrapping it. Then they sell the game back for full price.

Fortunately they have trade in promos at times where they give more value then normally would. Then there is craigslist where based on where you live you could sell or buy a game for a very good deal. OH NOOOO...I should never sell or trade in a game this breaks the code of a moronic gamer.

There are great developers out their like naughty dog and rockstar and rock steady that are only going to put out great games when they are top quality and ready. It is almost for certain you can preorder those games. But their are too many developers that may have a great idea but are rushed to put their game out due to their investors or they just need the money. The game comes out rushed and just not worth the money. There are reasons for impressions, interviews, reviews and video of gameplay and what most important to me is a demo. Demos have become extinct. Why,because it will greatly influence the consumer if the demo is good enough to play on its own or convince you the game isn't worth buying at retail price and you can wait for it to go to the bargain bin.

It also doesn't makes sense to stack up buying a bunch of games that you either never play or take months to get to them because you have such a large library. I can see buying 2 games and playing both of them back and forth. I just don't get it when you have 5-6 games that you can't play because you are back log you can't get to play them. Now this is your choice to purchase this way just like its my choice to save money and only buy games I am very educated on purchasing to make sure the game is worthy of my $60 hard earn dollars.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I preorder the games I'm interested in. I do research on them before preordering or if it's a sequel to a game I really enjoyed, it's hands down in my que. I only preorder physical copies though. I don't see the point of preordering a digital game when they can't run out. As a side note, when you preorder, you usually gain something that will either be exclusive to the collector's edition or released as DLC later.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i only do it in the retailers. There is no incentive to do it digitally

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Yeah same... I don't think I've ever pre-ordered anything digitally.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7  Edited By AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

being able to pre-load now is a pretty nice incentive, but if you can't play right at midnight for whatever reason it might not be as appealing

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 MondasM  Online
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i pre-order games that i am more or less certain about... since i live in a country which does not have retail pre-orders or pr-order benefits, i purchase every game digitally...

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Retail

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I pre-order retail. And by retail I mean 99% on Amazon.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ewalthour

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/07/talking_point_are_publishers_taking_pre_order_bonuses_too_far

Videogamer.com also is talking about this preorder stuff. I agree more with pushsquare because I mostly always agree against practices of gaming companies and retailers over the consumer. Quite simple hold your money and stop preodering so often. I dont have a problem with preordering to get exclusive content as much as preodering all these game digitally not coming out til next yr or later.

Gamers what incentives do you have to preorder so soon with so little info of the game? I only preoder games I am sure I want and its coming out in a few months. I don't fall for the exclusive content in all these diffferent stores. I know gamestop and their return and money back policies.

robdacool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 robdacool
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

Same here. People say digital is easier, but heck, Amazon delivers the game to my front door. What could be easier then that? Unless someone doesn't want to get up and walk to their door. lol

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#13 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@AJC3317 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

being able to pre-load now is a pretty nice incentive, but if you can't play right at midnight for whatever reason it might not be as appealing

Yeah, that seems to be the only real benefit and that's not really worth it to some.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#14 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

For now I'm gonna say retail because hopefully they will give us incentives for going digital, "BUT" the one game I will pre-order digitally is Arkham Knight! I don't need any incentive for that game!!! lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I usually do not pre-order, I may pre-order inFAMOUS First Light.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#16 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I pre-order games very rarely. Probably not even once a year. But I will also choose retail because there's no way in hell I'm paying full price for a digital game. I very rarely sell games either, but I'd rather have a physical copy of a game than digital. I only purchase digital if it's cheaper than buying physical, which only happens when there's a good sale going on.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@AJC3317 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

i still like to know that i own it, no matter what

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

The last physical copy I bought was CoD: Ghosts for PS4 (which I subsequently traded back in) and that was back in December. Every game since then as been downloaded and it likely will continue especially with the ability to pre-download games now.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I pre-order both retail and digital. Digital through Steam, generally, albeit Bloodborne, Destiny, Uncharted 4 I pre-ordered on PSN.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ewalthour

@Basinboy: what if you find out bloodborne is a piece of crap then what do you do? Can you get a refund when you preorder digitally before release? Why preorder so soon for games with no release date? It baffles my mind if you can tell by all my previous comments in this post and others.

I just don't understand the fascination with digital preorders with game you nothing about.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Basinboy

@ewalthour said:

@Basinboy: what if you find out bloodborne is a piece of crap then what do you do? Can you get a refund when you preorder digitally before release? Why preorder so soon for games with no release date? It baffles my mind if you can tell by all my previous comments in this post and others.

I just don't understand the fascination with digital preorders with game you nothing about.

I pre-ordered only because my cash flow is gonna slow down once school starts again and - instead of wasting it on women or booze - I figured I'd commit the funds now rather than allow myself an opportunity to blow them elsewhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I do not understand your point TC, yes most of us may indeed be 30-40 years old, and that is exactly why we have Money to spend.

Granted the root of this discussion can not hold up in real life, since we all live in different Places around the World, gets different pay, and the prices of games differ a Whole lot. But I kid you not when I state that a new game costs about the same as a movie in the Theaters for me and the better half, most often entry fee only.

A game is quite literaly the cheapest form for entertainment I I can possibly think of. Even if the Price I pay for a game make most people from the US sick, it is so Little opposed to the average paycheck that I have no problems preordering or buying digital games.

Now there IS another problem with digital (on consoles) that you have not touched. Namely the value we get out of the game, and more importantly, how healthy that envioment is. On a PC I can always get any DD game I buy on any PC I want, but will the DD games carry over to a new Gen of consoles? By rights they should now, Consoles of old could be excused because there were no Online connectivity, Nor DD games to buy, but consoles of now can not offer a worse service then any of the other DD services (movies, music, PC side of Things).

Oh and I never turn in games, I do acknowlage that everyone operate with different morals, reasons and situations. But it is against my better judgement to turn in games.

When it comes to preorders? Well I am not stupid, I know full well that the industry do gauge preorders as one of the big factors for games like that, so if a game has a setting, genre or a dev with enough goodwill from me, then yeah I will preorder. I have a vested interest in having the kind of games I prefer keep being made, I do not enjoy the thought of only a certain type or breed of game being made, so at the least I support what I like in the medium.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

retail only

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ewalthour

@Basinboy: lol ok on not spending on women and booze. Good to let booze go and women depending on type.I have a friend hook on massage parlors that he didn't realize gave more than massages. Its a great scam and hard to bust. I have never went to a spa and now scared to get a massage in fear of temptation.

These are legit spas but anyvwomen there could decide to do something on the side and it's probably condoned underneath the table to keep clients.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Basinboy

@ewalthour said:

@Basinboy: lol ok on not spending on women and booze. Good to let booze go and women depending on type.I have a friend hook on massage parlors that he didn't realize gave more than massages. Its a great scam and hard to bust. I have never went to a spa and now scared to get a massage in fear of temptation.

These are legit spas but anyvwomen there could decide to do something on the side and it's probably condoned underneath the table to keep clients.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@ewalthour said:

WHAAAAAT? What are you talking about...?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I don't support or buy digital anything when there is a physical, retail console option.

I like the ability to SELL/Collect/Trade/Lend/Gift my games.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@yokofox33 said:

Same here but sometimes i get my games from Asda.