Who is gonna buy FFXIII if it were like FFXII !!

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts

I was just wondering since there are many people who are disappointed of the gameplay of FFXII and how bad the story was. I personally prefer FFX over FFXII, I felt like Squire-E was trying to fool around making its huge title like that. Let me state what I think of:

1- The story was not as expected since most of us who played FFX was happy with it.

2- Gameplay was kinda boring looking at your characters fight while you could have a nap.

3- Camera can be controlled anywhere which makes memorizing some places difficult unlike the other FF games where the camera is fixed inside cities and movable in the outer world.

4- Summonings were Fatal Ugly and we have not seen the ones we're used to (Behemoth, Ifrit and the rest are gone!!).

5- Characters do not suck you into the story, maybe only the guy with a gun whom I thought was cool but the others were bad :evil:

Considering all these reasons and that this is my 1'st topic to start with (Please don't destroy me FFXII's fans 'cause I don't mean to offend you :D),

Would you get FFXIII if it is like FFXII :question:

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

I was just wondering since there are many people who are disappointed of the gameplay of FFXII and how bad the story was. I personally prefer FFX over FFXII, I felt like Squire-E was trying to fool around making its huge title like that. Let me state what I think of:

1- The story was not as expected since most of us who played FFX was happy with it.

2- Gameplay was kinda boring looking at your characters fight while you could have a nap.

3- Camera can be controlled anywhere which makes memorizing some places difficult unlike the other FF games where the camera is fixed inside cities and movable in the outer world.

4- Summonings were Fatal Ugly and we have not seen the ones we're used to (Behemoth, Ifrit and the rest are gone!!).

5- Characters do not suck you into the story, maybe only the guy with a gun whom I thought was cool but the others were bad :evil:

Considering all these reasons and that this is my 1'st topic to start with (Please don't destroy me FFXII's fans 'cause I don't mean to offend you :D),

Would you get FFXIII if it were like FFXII !? :question:

abuabed

Well What I read was that FFXIII verus was gonna be like kingdom hearts

and FFXIII to be Term Based

ken12012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ken12012
Member since 2004 • 309 Posts

Well for one thing, I'm buying FFXIII no matter what.

1) I did not enjoy FFXII's too much. It concentrated too much on the war and other things that I wasn't too interested in. I recently started a new game in FFX and I have to say that I forgot how amazing the game was.

2) I thought the gameplay was pretty fun. Probably because I enjoyed the kind of gameplay in FFXI. Do I prefer the old-****FF battles? Yes.

3) When I went back to FFX, I kept trying to move the camera around. I like the ability to move the camera.

4) I didn't have that big of a problem with the summons. Just was a little irked by the exclusion of some of the staple summons.

5) The characters and their development was probably my biggest disappointment with FFXII. Only a few handful of them were interesting. I couldn't really get into any of them. (My favorite character was also Balthier)

lhbchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lhbchen
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

FFX FFX-2 FFIX FFVIII FFTA FTW~~~

FFXII is a big disappoitment by my taste.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
Personally I really liked FFXII. Either way I like the FF games mainly because the story. They all like a 60 hour movie
Space_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Space_Lion
Member since 2003 • 12856 Posts
I liked FFXII, I would say they could have done better in the character development department. But I did love the story. A lot and the gameplay I loved. I always hated random battles.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#7 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
There's no way i'm getting FFXIII if it's like XII. I thought the battle system was a serious step down for the deries. It's just not very much fun, IMO. I hope SE does a better job next time.
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
i really liked the battle system in XII. The story was better in X but i'm just tired of the random battles. 15 years ago when i was a kid, i didn't mind them but now, i'd rather have the XII battle system.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts
I didn't really like some aspects of FFXII: - the fighting system was not my cup of tea, I would like to see some sort of system as seen in Blue Dragon. You can see the enemies (so no more random battles) but still old fashioned turn based. I really enjoyed Blue Dragon's system. - the world of FFXII wasn't that interesting artistically, many places looked kind of the same and bland...desert/middle eastern. I loved the mature story though, although it would be better if the character development was bigger.
Melkari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Melkari
Member since 2004 • 595 Posts

I'll wind up getting FFXIII because, well, it's Final Fantasy, and I've gotten each and every one when they came out since FFIV. I've been disappointed with the series since FFIX, which to me was the beginning of the decline. While FFIX and FFX were still decent enough overall to be enjoyable, FFXII pretty much went to a whole new level of disappointment; bare bones story, incredibly uninteresting and undeveloped characters, boring battle system.

The entire game failed to spark anything in me. It was 100% bland the entire way through. I didn't blatantly hate it, but I felt no love for it either. I played it because it was there. If XIII turns out to be the same (though it seems like it won't be quite the same style), I'll be disappointed once again at how far a once incredible series has fallen into a slump.

Khimarhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Khimarhi
Member since 2005 • 2353 Posts
I will buy it no matter what probably. But I want FF to get back to it's roots
Land-0-Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Land-0-Funk
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts
I plan to buy it..then i'll make it halfway through and move on to another game..just like i've done with every single FF i've played since VI(III)
GeneralX84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GeneralX84
Member since 2007 • 768 Posts
then i'll go for versus (sorry lightning, although i love the character design), i hated XII with passion, its storyline, its gameplay, and the whole thing is plain
mo17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 mo17
Member since 2003 • 570 Posts
I would be very upset if FF13 battle system was like FF12
Abicus7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Abicus7
Member since 2007 • 2009 Posts

maybe you will be able to choose what battle system you want - newer battle system like XII's or classic like other FF's.

Avatar image for ImperialDynasty
ImperialDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ImperialDynasty
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts
Even though FFXII was a bit dissapointing im still goin to get FFXIII for 2 reasons. First because it is a final fantasy game and second because its the first FF on the ps3 witch should be one of the games that should take the game to a whole new level just like FFVII as being the first 3d game and FFX being the first game on the ps2
dalscowboys22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dalscowboys22
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts
it was different than i expected for 12 but it was still good. i really liked x better thought. but i am looking to get both ff13's
DanC1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 DanC1989
Member since 2004 • 50952 Posts
I loved FFXII. (still haven't finished it yet, though :P) Does that answer your question? >_>
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
FFXII was a great game and the same will most certainly apply to FFXIII, no matter which route they take.
AmnestyErr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 AmnestyErr
Member since 2005 • 90 Posts

I'm sort of getting tired of pre-adolescent RPGs and there cliche stories about being sole saviors or the world. Personally I thought FFXII had a pretty mature theme...aside from Vaan being an adolescent idiot oblivious to everything not being a sky pirate. Its probably one of the more complex story lines out that NOT involving a sappy Love Story of some sort, like *cough cough, X.

Granted I do believe X has one of the better fighting systems but I do love the implementation of XII. Since we're on the topic of the battle systems I LOVED VII...minus the RIDICULOUSLY long animation sequences (*yay to IX for fixing that), its all the micromanagement I could've asked for...too bad not many general gamers liked it; plus I REALLY liked the TRIGGER when using Squall and...oh, Seifer (temporary brain fart).

Regardless, I've played every Final Fantasy and its fun to watch the series grow and take on more complicated themes instead of a boring save the world by going through this quest and beating this boss/ master. There need to be themes that resonate and actually impact the story...besides, who doesn't love a war story? We've plenty of Medal of Honors, Call of Duties, and Company of Heroes to attest to that.

GFM711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GFM711
Member since 2006 • 81 Posts

it better not be like FFXII. that game had so much yellow it made me nauseous, 'lets surround Rabanastre with deserts!!' yes, brilliant idea, just brilliant.

at least the storyline was good even though the characters were really mediocre. the only reason i havent forgotten their names is because its the last final fantasy i played

KH-mixerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 KH-mixerX
Member since 2007 • 5702 Posts
Like many of you here, I'm buying FFXIII nomatter what. FFX was my favorite FF, but even so, I wouldn't want to see another FF like it (battle system wise). I also enjoyed FFXII very much. As long FFXIII is too much departed from the rest of the series, I'll be all right. I'm all for change, but I don't want FFXIII to be whooly different from the others.
DarkCloud79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarkCloud79
Member since 2006 • 997 Posts

Personally I didn't disliked FFXII, at least not as much as FFIX. It has a very wide world for us to explore.

But I admit FFX and of course FFVII where much better and I hope the new installement follows that lead.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts
Final Fantasy XII's gameplay owns and so does its story. Final Fantasy X gets pwned.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
The only thing that bothered me in FFXII was Van! Everything else was nice, the story was more mature then the earlier ff games.
Hitamaru-homia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hitamaru-homia
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts
I didnt touch FF12 cause of it's battle system. Im glad they using a Faster ATB that feels real time in FF13.
GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts

When the game gets here I'm getting it. I just hope it's not exactly alike FFXII in terms of character development. Also I liked FFX's sphere grid better than I did FFXII's. FFXII gave you the option of making your characters the same (in terms of weapons and abilities). I really didn't like that concept.

werty007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 werty007
Member since 2003 • 251 Posts
I personally liked FF12 not to the extent to 7 and 10 but much more so than others. I am getting 13 and Versus becuase I think these two games will revolutionize the PS3 when they come. FF has always been a PS staple for me and not getting it is not an option. Well FF and also Metal Gear, but yeah I am getting it no matter what.
Chief9088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Chief9088
Member since 2006 • 441 Posts

i loved XII and im sure il love XIII and vs XIII, so il deffinetly be picking them both up.....................uhhh when they come out that is.......:(

Real3motion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Real3motion
Member since 2007 • 139 Posts

I'm sort of getting tired of pre-adolescent RPGs and there cliche stories about being sole saviors or the world. Personally I thought FFXII had a pretty mature theme...aside from Vaan being an adolescent idiot oblivious to everything not being a sky pirate. Its probably one of the more complex story lines out that NOT involving a sappy Love Story of some sort, like *cough cough, X.

Granted I do believe X has one of the better fighting systems but I do love the implementation of XII. Since we're on the topic of the battle systems I LOVED VII...minus the RIDICULOUSLY long animation sequences (*yay to IX for fixing that), its all the micromanagement I could've asked for...too bad not many general gamers liked it; plus I REALLY liked the TRIGGER when using Squall and...oh, Seifer (temporary brain fart).

Regardless, I've played every Final Fantasy and its fun to watch the series grow and take on more complicated themes instead of a boring save the world by going through this quest and beating this boss/ master. There need to be themes that resonate and actually impact the story...besides, who doesn't love a war story? We've plenty of Medal of Honors, Call of Duties, and Company of Heroes to attest to that.

AmnestyErr

Agreed. FFXII has more mature storyline. But the characters can be developed more, like Bash and his brother, Balthier and his father.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#33 Symphonycometh
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts

I was being optimistic with XII with some doubt. And that doubt became clear after I beat the game.

XIII leaves me with hype and a more....character involved story. But back to the point, I won't buy XIII if it's like XII in terms of story. I don't mind gameplay since that comes third with me.

-Story

-Music

-Gameplay.

captainhowdy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 captainhowdy23
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts
The creator behind FFX, is making XIII so it should be good.
ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
12 is one of my favorite final fantasy's along with 10, 7 and 6 (3 in USA). If 13 is like 12 i wont mind.
TelcharXI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TelcharXI
Member since 2006 • 1189 Posts
FFv13 is my personal most hyped game
rogue81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rogue81
Member since 2003 • 922 Posts

It always irks me when people can't appreciate something new because it differs too muchfromtradition. I've never understood it. Yeah, X was a beautiful game, butthe characters still had to take turns slapping eachother around...just like every other game in the series thats come before it. If that's what you love, then by all means play the old familiar games. You should know though: If the series continues withthis newgameplay model, it will survive... with orwithout you.

Space_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Space_Lion
Member since 2003 • 12856 Posts
People complaining about the world in FFXII, need to understand that it was the most realistic looking world in FF ever. X's world was just too over the place. A snowy region right in the middle of the island when the region next to it was warm and springy with loads of vegetation. It made no sense. It was like the creators said "Oh let's put snow here, and then let's put a a place with loads of grass and summer, oh let's put a lake right by the snow place and while where at it...the lake forest will be right by the biggest city...so when you leave the forest you somehow end up in the middle of the city"
lord_glum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 lord_glum
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
I like XII just becuase they tried something new. I think its a solid game that looked really good. If people don't like solid role playing games that look really nice then so be it. I will buy 13 just becuase I like RPG's and FF.
setyono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 setyono
Member since 2006 • 672 Posts
I will. I collect all the FF series.
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Symphonycometh
RPGs are meant for stories, correct? That's why the battle systems are hardly God of War meterial. With that said, X crippled XII in that field. You can have a mature theme...just make sure it's a good one. Some of you seem to be confusing that and just seem to be happy it was something new. Just remember Herdy Gerdy tried to be different too, but still sucked.
stickstick86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stickstick86
Member since 2007 • 751 Posts
no matter what i will have FFXIII =P
Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Symphonycometh

no matter what i will have FFXIII =Pstickstick86

Pretty much the same here.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

FFXII was interesting, it sold so to speak.

It was different from previous turn-based genre which I always loved and prefer. I have been playing since FFV with FFVII remaining my first and foremost greatest one.

I didn't enjoyed FFIX as much and FFVIII was alright. FFX was good.

It took me awhile to adjust to FFXII's battle system as I'm a hardcore turn-based RPG fan.

Aside from very kiddish and annoying main character, weak story was another disappointment in FFXII. Every Final Fantasy that I played I always play it for the main character, in this regard FFXII was very disappointing.

As a game itself with different combat-gameplay, it wasn't that bad. It took some time to get use to combat and many are still disliking it. I got adjusted to it after a while. Definitely the weakest of all Fantasy franchise, in my eyes there was no need to change what worked perfectly fine for years.

I'm positive FFXIII and Versus will not be follow the same routine as FFXII did. If they do however, Square Enix will have to outperform them-self to a new level.

Time will tell.

Heavyheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heavyheaven
Member since 2007 • 153 Posts

I liked 12 but not as much as i liked 10. I prefer the turnbased system. I didn`t get to dragged into the story in 12 as i have done in previous ff`s

But i wil pretty much buy both FF13 no matter what :)

deadkingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deadkingdg
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

Would you get FFXIII if it is like FFXII :question:

abuabed

FFX was one of the worst FF. I'm glad FFXII wasn't like it. FFX maps were mostly all a freaking line. It was boring as hell. FFXII at least had open aeras with multiple paths. The battles were also very boring since you could complete nearly the whole game by spamming attack.

1. I agree, FFXII's story was bland, worse than FFX, but FFX's story was an over stretched love story.

2. You just suck. Turn off gambit. The battle system is amazing without gambits, and bosses are challenging, unlike in FFX where there is 2 (non optionnal) bosses that you can't beat by symply using attack.

3. Just learn to memorize. Real 3d is MUCH better than 2D looking like 3D.

4. I liked the new summons based on the zodiacks, inspired from the zodiack stones in FFT. Old summons were refered as airships.

5. Characters were pretty average. I find that they were more realist than the crazy bunch in FFX.

FFXII was more like Vagrant Story 2 to me, and Vagrant Story is my second best game ever (first is Xenogears), so I was very pleased with it. I was also pleased with the quantity of optionnal content, and the challenge optionnal bosses were giving when not using gambits and setting the time mode as active.

Symphonycometh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Symphonycometh

I liked 12 but not as much as i liked 10. I prefer the turnbased system. I didn`t get to dragged into the story in 12 as i have done in previous ff`s

But i wil pretty much buy both FF13 no matter what :)

Heavyheaven

XII had a storyline?

:o

-Grieves-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -Grieves-
Member since 2007 • 1708 Posts

It took me a while to get used to the combat system in FFXII, but when I did I thought it was so much better than just pressing x all the time.

The thing that I didn't like about FFXII was the random chest thing and the fact that you could lose out on the best spear in the game by opening every chest that you find.

I've still got a few loose ends to sort out onFFXII - mainly Yazmat.

I will be buying both FFXIII and FF Vs XIII when they are released (I'm guessing Oct 2009 for Europe).

deadkingdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deadkingdg
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts

It took me a while to get used to the combat system in FFXII, but when I did I thought it was so much better than just pressing x all the time.

The thing that I didn't like about FFXII was the random chest thing and the fact that you could lose out on the best spear in the game by opening every chest that you find.

-Grieves-

That's what I hated the most. I hate faqs and guides, but the way they made it, it's nearly impossible to get everything without a guide, since even by picking the same chest 3 times, you can't know if you have all the best items it can give.

OrangeCrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 OrangeCrown
Member since 2007 • 167 Posts
I'll definitely buy FF XIII. I personally loved XII. Sure it changed things up a bit, but I for one loved the story and the characters. It was different. It was cool.