Who else thinks knack is a pretty solid platformer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Bangerman15 (1961 posts) -

The game is great so far IMO and looks beautiful. What's up with all the hate on it? I believe I'm on ch. 4 right now and the game has been fun for me.. and I've died a lot lol.

#2 Posted by Lord_of_Terrans (194 posts) -

haven't tried it yet, but it look like a good rental for me.

#3 Posted by RiKanKiDD (1058 posts) -

I going to wait for a Price drop but the game looks solid indeed.

#4 Posted by Grieverr (2535 posts) -

I agree. I've been enjoying it quite a bit. It seems reviewers wanted the game to be something other than what it is. I believe it was the GS review that was upset that Knack as a character was just being used as a fighter and a story element was missed by not having a stronger emotional connection to him. I'm mean, ok, I see where that may be ok, but to dock points for that?

The game is simplistic, but solid. I also agree that as you look at it more closely, you see some flashes of excellent graphics.

#5 Posted by lyndonAPI (2793 posts) -

I'm enjoying it, a nice platformer/ action game. I'm on the second play through now to grab the other secret room items (want to see how Vampire Hnack/ Sunstone Knack change things up gameplay wise).

#6 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68582 posts) -

People like to be harsher when it comes to a new gen and Knack got the worst of it. I think it looks around a 7 from the gameplay footage. It looks great and might be fun to play.

#7 Posted by MethodManFTW (25337 posts) -

It is a platformer? All the footage I have seen makes it look more like an action game.

#8 Posted by chiro4life06 (26 posts) -

I'm loving this game. Now, I would call it an action/brawler with some platforming elements. I'm on my first play through and know I will play through it again. Controls are simple, but solid. Graphics are really crisp and colorful. The story is somewhat weak. I like the character Knack, but so far there isn't much attachment to him. All in all a really fun game and I for one hope there is a sequal.

#9 Posted by sbeirs (412 posts) -

It sort of reminds me of Kameo for the 360

#10 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@Bangerman15:

i think the game is fun. nothing amazing, but fun. certainly NOT a 5.9 like IGN scored it or the 4 here... that score is absolutely ridiculous. it is a 7 for me.

#11 Posted by Grieverr (2535 posts) -

I wanted to add it's also a nice challenge, battling the enemies. This isn't the type of game where you can just run up to the enemies and take a hit or two while you kill them. I can't remember the last "cute" game I played where three on-screen enemies was a challenge.

#12 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@Grieverr: i really dont know how so many review sites failed this game so hard..... the scores it has received are so far off from the actual quality of the game i wonder if they even played the game.

user reviews are what you want to look at for this game folks... and it is sitting at a 7.2 currently, which is absolutely appropriate for this game. it is NOT a "flop".... just a fun game that doesnt take any chances.

#13 Posted by Bangerman15 (1961 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@Bangerman15:

i think the game is fun. nothing amazing, but fun. certainly NOT a 5.9 like IGN scored it or the 4 here... that score is absolutely ridiculous. it is a 7 for me.

Definitely didn't deserve those scores, but I agree with you on the 7. I think reviewers were expecting something life changing lol. Knack's a pretty a like-able character as well.. Can totally picture him in the next battle royale if sony decides to make one again.

#14 Edited by BattleSpectre (5945 posts) -

@sbeirs said:

It sort of reminds me of Kameo for the 360

Oh my that post makes me grin like a cheesy Frenchman. I LOVED Kameo and if this game is anything like that count me in!

#15 Posted by SpiderLuke (465 posts) -

I haven't tried it yet. I have a high tolerance for what people consider bad. I do have it on my shelf. May try it out tomorrow. I like games that present challenges too. Coming from the makers of Crash, I expect it to only be as complex as that, but more difficult.

I think everyone was expecting it to be baby God of War.

#16 Edited by sirk1264 (5510 posts) -

I have too been enjoying knack. The gameplay is challenging yet simple and the visuals look great. I can't see why reviewers were so harsh on it but its their opinion.

#17 Posted by Ovirew (6238 posts) -

I think the game is fine. Not great, but still pretty fun and enjoyable. Do I think the game could be better than it is? Fo sho. But it's not nearly as bad as people have made it out to be.

You'll also die quite a bit in this game, so it's not a complete cakewalk. I'm anxious to unlock the different forms of Knack and try out hard mode. And co-op can be nice too.

I think it's an IP Sony should consider revisiting one day for a sequel, since there is a lot they could improve. But I'm anxious to see other new and old IPs on the PS4, too.

#18 Posted by chiro4life06 (26 posts) -

I give it a 7/10 as well. I liked it enough to change my Avatar to KNACK!

#19 Posted by Gokuja (3761 posts) -

I wasn't that hyped for this game, but I played it at a friends house and liked it more than I thought. Decent game

#20 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2396 posts) -

I played the demo and had a fun time with it. Reminded me of a game that would be at home on the N64, which to me is a great thing.

#21 Posted by SpiderLuke (465 posts) -

I was so worried that I made a mistake. It was a part of the buy 2 get one free deal on Amazon, but I was trying to think of a way to sell it off before I got my system. The negative reviews really discouraged me. I just played it today and I can honestly say that I love the game. I love the challenge of it too. It reminds me of old school platformers where you tried over and over until you did it right.

I'm not sure what people were expecting out of this title. It really reminds me of a harder version of Crash Bandicoot somewhat. I feel like people were thinking this was going to be baby God of War, but that most certainly isn't the case.

This is a straight-forward plow through a level platformer and face whatever challenges lie ahead.

I feel like gamers don't want the games that used to be popular long ago, but I yearn for those. It's almost as if they expect complexity to be the evolution of the platformer. Sometimes a simple game that has a good challenge is a breath of fresh air.

Sure, the camera isn't perfect, but it surely doesn't deserve as low of scores that most sites have been giving it. I would have given it a 7.0. It's Crash Bandicoot with more spread out corridors and a greater challenge.

Again, maybe people don't want that in a genre anymore, but I know I sure do.

I hope they make Knack 2, but I fear the media outlets are stirring up so much commotion and being so discouraging that gamers will not even give the game a chance, thus crushing any and all hopes for a sequel.

I implore you, if you liked Crash Bandicoot, play this. It is not a bad game at all.

#22 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

^^Loved Crash, thanks for the synopsis.

#23 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16384 posts) -

I watched a 2 hour video of the game yesterday and slapped it back on my to buy list due to that video. Game looks like a lot of fun to play.

#24 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8531 posts) -

I'm still confused as to why people think Knack is a platformer... It's got a lot more in common with something like God of War than any platformer I know of.

at least as far as I can tell from all footage and every review I've read

#25 Edited by JoKeR_421 (8920 posts) -

Knack is fun it was meant to be a family fun game with the exception of it being fun for some hardcore gamers as well....that being said me and my wife and kid been enjoying taking turns playing it. Specially on the vita lol....don't know why bit scored so low then again I never check out reviews or scores or let it effect me from getting any game

#26 Posted by SpiderLuke (465 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac: Did you play it though? It looks like that, at first.

#27 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

I'm still confused as to why people think Knack is a platformer... It's got a lot more in common with something like God of War than any platformer I know of.

actually... it doesnt. that is exactly why reviewers rated it so poorly.... because they were expecting kiddie god of war.

the game is layed out almost identical to a crash bandicoot game.... down the the camera angles and level designs. it is nothing like god of war.

#28 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8531 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

actually... it doesnt. that is exactly why reviewers rated it so poorly.... because they were expecting kiddie god of war.

the game is layed out almost identical to a crash bandicoot game.... down the the camera angles and level designs. it is nothing like god of war.

But all I've seen in the footage I've viewed (including let's plays) is Knack fighting waves of enemies. It's always been my opinion that platformers are more like obstacle courses in which you must traverse dangerous environments. They're about movement/ traversal and not just combat.

#29 Edited by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

But all I've seen in the footage I've viewed (including let's plays) is Knack fighting waves of enemies. It's always been my opinion that platformers are more like obstacle courses in which you must traverse dangerous environments. They're about movement/ traversal and not just combat.

ok well are you going to believe the person that has played and beaten the game.... or are you going to believe the videos that you have seen that were most likely taken exclusively of the combat sections because that is what people seem to think other people want to see?

#30 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8531 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Geminon said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

ok well are you going to believe the person that has played and beaten the game.... or are you going to believe the videos that you have seen that were most likely taken exclusively of the combat sections because that is what people seem to think other people want to see?

I'd love for you to prove me wrong (we need more 3D platformers), but let's plays don't cut out anything and so far all I've seen is brawling. It definitely seems to be the main focus of the game.

#31 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Geminon said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

I'd love for you to prove me wrong (we need more 3D platformers), but let's plays don't cut out anything and so far all I've seen is brawling.

*throws hands up in the air*

game isnt for you. move on. end of story.

#32 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

Great to hear. Going to pick it up once it drops in price.

#33 Posted by Bangerman15 (1961 posts) -

@muller39: Yeah definitely pick it up if you liked crash bandicoot back in the days. Knack definitely has that "playstation platformer" feel to it as well. Kind of hard to describe, but when you play it you'll see what I mean!