Which one of those four games will be Game of The Year?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sssb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 sssb
Member since 2003 • 522 Posts

There is so many great games in this year like Tomb Raider, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, Tales of Xillia and FFXIV: Realm Reborn.. ect, but i pick those four becouse in my opinion they most interesting titles.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

At this point, The Last of Us remains my personal Game of The Year, GTA 5 also looks very good this time around, my money are also on the Beyond: Two Souls. 

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
Most likely The Last of Us.
Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts
Most likely The Last of Us.AbstractRadical
I agree. Really enjoying it. :)
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
The Last of Us or Grand Theft Auto V, most likely. I'm not into GTA but I can't deny that V looks like it'll be extremely good.
munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts

The Last of Us or Grand Theft Auto V, most likely. I'm not into GTA but I can't deny that V looks like it'll be extremely good.Doom_HellKnight

i think it's going to be between these two overall. maybe even bioshock infinite as well. 

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts
Most likely The Last of Us.AbstractRadical
That would also be my guess.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I would vote for Bioshock Infinite, but predict it'll be TLOU.

Only one game not on that list appears to have a shot at beating those games: Watch Dogs.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#9 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
TLOU. Its never been done somewhat.
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
Seems like you could of waited to do this since GTA isn't out yet, but I voted for Last of Us. Played the other two. Bioshock was good, but not long enough for me. Ni no Kuni was long but thought it was boring after awhile. Got tired of fighting, and I found Oliver to be quite annoying for some reason. I don't know maybe my heart just wasn't that into it. Maybe I was brokenhearted. GTA looks awesome. I wonder what the story is though cuz I found 4 to be boring.
puddinghead101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 puddinghead101
Member since 2012 • 190 Posts

I've played and loved all the 3 games mentioned that have been out this year but after finishing each one TLOU made the biggest impression on me although if we look back its only July and already some really amazing games have come out. A good year for games and in particular a good year for Sony.

Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#12 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts

The Last of Us, without question (IMO). Just the storyline and everything about it was astounding. I was leaning towards Infinite at first, but after a couple hours into The Last of Us, your mind quickly changes. I just wanted more, I didn't want it to end. As for GTA V, that game will be amazing also, but it just doesn't feel like it will have the amazement factor as The Last of Us does. But we will see when September arrives.

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

I might end up picking Watch Dogs or Grand Theft Auto V.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
None, Batman Arkham Orgins.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
TLOU. Its never been done somewhat.Young_Charter
Nothing in The Last of Us was new. You might have loved the gameplay and enjoyed the story but that has been the biggest complaint against TLoU, that it's a "zombie apoc" scenario with a kid and an adult, both of which have been done a lot.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's kind of odd since you chose one game that hasn't been released, but I'll play along anyways.

Looking those FOUR games at Metacritic to see what critics would possibly label as GAME OF THE YEAR...

RIGHT NOW it comes down to:

1.) THE LAST OF US metascore 95/100 out of 95 critics (the more critics, the more impressive and still sitting at a 95. Very impressive 2013 contender.)

2.) Bioshock Infinite metascore 94/100 out of 68 critics

3.) Ni No Kuni metascore 85/100 out of 89 critics

4.) Grand Theft Auto 5 (Not released, unknown)

I should point out that GTA4 was a metascore of 98/100, so if GTA5 scores in that neighborhood, it will be GOTY easy. GTA5 will be AAA scored, no doubt in my mind.

I think the race is between GTA5 and The Last of Us, but GTA5 will probably win at Gamespot.com. Gamespot has a long history with high rated Grand Theft Auto games. and Gamespot.com has a track record with lower rated Naughty Dog games (Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted, The Last of Us didn't do as well at Gamespot.com vs. the other critics. Gamespot.com just has never taken as much as a liking to Naughty Dog's games as other gaming sites and gamers have. The history has always been there. The Last of us despite being universally loved by critics, merely got an 8.0 at Gamespot.com It has almost no chance at a Gamespot.com GOTY.

Here are links to the MAIN GTA games rated at Gamespot.com:

9.6 = GTA III

9.6 = GTA Vice City

9.6 = GTA San Andreas

10 = GTA 4

Rockstar also won TWO GOTYs from Gamespot.com with ROCKSTAR's Red Dead Redemption (Grand Theft Horse) and GTA III. They have a great shot as they almost won over MGS4 with GTA4 as well.

Naughty Dog has NEVER won a GOTY with Gamespot.com. In fact, they have a few high rated titles that didn't do so well at Gamespot.com. Here's a few of ND's past games that failed to rank even AAA at Gamespot.com:

6.8 = Crash Bandicoot(Metascore 80/100)

8.8 = Jak & Daxter The Precursor Legacy(Metascore 90)

8.0 = Uncharted: Drake's Fortune(Metascore 88)

8.0 = The Last of Us (Metascore 95, THE HIGHEST METASCORING GAME OF THE YEAR)

GS likes ND, just not GOTY Love them.

One other thing to mention is at Xmas there are always some surprising titles still to be released for 2013, so there may be a few more contenders for GOTY, although they will have a tough time with THE LAST OF US and BIOSHOCK already doing so damn well.

So, if we are talking GOTY at Gamespot, it's GTA5 most definitely. I could have answered this years ago actually because Gamespot.com is predictable with certain franchises. GOTY at other sites? That will vary definitely because The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and GTA5 are bound to win many awards.

I do want to say that ANYTHING can happen, and the GS community votes for GOTY, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a Naughty Dog GOTY at this site. I would welcome an 8.0 game somehow getting GOTY, but it just won't happen. If 2009's winner of over 100+ GOTY's Uncharted 2 (Metascore 96/100 with 105 critics!) couldn't win 2009 GOTY at Gamespot.com, I don't see how The Last of Us has a chance of GS GOTY with a TLOU AA 8.0 GS score...AT THIS SITE. The LAST OF US though will win GOTY at many other sites though, as will Bioshock Infinite.

ENDING of this Educational Post with GAME OF THE YEAR HILARIOUS SONG starring UNCHARTED 2 (Embed not working :( )

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I've never played GTA V. My choice is the Last of Us.
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 DaRq_MiNoS

Ni no Kuni has my vote so far, but I'm sure The Last of Us or GTA5 will get all the awards.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
At Gamespot nothing stands a chance against GTAV. My own opinion of GOTY 2013...nothing will stand a chance against GTAV.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

For me it's Bioshock Infinite.  Played the game 3 times now and will likely play it again before the year ends.  While The Last of Us is good, I had issues with the friendly AI with how Ellie moved and her annoying in-game after battle one-liners that she'd like to say when clickers were around but apparently only Joel's sound can be picked up by the clickers.  However, I still like the game, especially the second half and the online is fun, but I prefer the more fantasy/fairytale artstyle of Bioshock Infinite.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if GTA V gets GOTY, critics love an open-world game and this one looks to be amongst the very best.  Though, I think we should also consider next-gen games for GOTY, as KZ and Watch Dogs look to be pretty awesome.

As for Ni No Kuni, while I like it, it is difficult for JRPGs to get recognized, though I'm not quite sure why as there are some very good ones, at least the Souls games have gotten the recognition they deserve in past years.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
As of now it's easily between BioShock and TLOU. I still need to finish up the last little bit of TLOU so I can't comment on it fully yet but from what I've played it definitely has a shot, although right now I give a slight edge to BioShock. Could change when I finish up TLOU though. GTA V is obviously unknown since it's not out yet. And lol at Ni No Kuni. It's not even the best RPG released this year so it has zero chance at GOTY.
MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

No Tomber Raier love.  :-(

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

it will be one of these

the last of us

bioshock infinite

watchdogs

assassins creed 4

gta 5

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

where's Beyond ?

sssb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sssb
Member since 2003 • 522 Posts

It's kind of odd since you chose one game that hasn't been released, but I'll play along anyways.

Looking those FOUR games at Metacritic to see what critics would possibly label as GAME OF THE YEAR...

1.) THE LAST OF US metascore 95/100 out of 95 critics (the more critics, the more impressive and still sitting at a 95. Very impressive 2013 contender.)

I should point out that GTA4 was a metascore of 98/100, so if GTA5 scores in that neighborhood, it will be GOTY easy. GTA5 will be AAA scored, no doubt in my mind.

I think the race is between GTA5 and The Last of Us, but GTA5 will probably win at Gamespot.com. Gamespot has a long history with high rated Grand Theft Auto games. and Gamespot.com has a track record with lower rated Naughty Dog games (Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted, The Last of Us didn't do as well at Gamespot.com vs. the other critics. Gamespot.com just has never taken as much as a liking to Naughty Dog's games as other gaming sites and gamers have. The history has always been there. The Last of us despite being universally loved by critics, merely got an 8.0 at Gamespot.com It has almost no chance at a Gamespot.com GOTY.

9.6 = GTA III

9.6 = GTA Vice City

9.6 = GTA San Andreas

10 = GTA 4

Rockstar also won TWO GOTYs from Gamespot.com with ROCKSTAR's Red Dead Redemption (Grand Theft Horse) and GTA III. They have a great shot as they almost won over MGS4 with GTA4 as well.

Naughty Dog has NEVER won a GOTY with Gamespot.com. In fact, they have a few high rated titles that didn't do so well at Gamespot.com. Here's a few of ND's past games that failed to rank even AAA at Gamespot.com:

One other thing to mention is at Xmas there are always some surprising titles still to be released for 2013, so there may be a few more contenders for GOTY, although they will have a tough time with THE LAST OF US and BIOSHOCK already doing so damn well.

So, if we are talking GOTY at Gamespot, it's GTA5 most definitely. I could have answered this years ago actually because Gamespot.com is predictable with certain franchises. GOTY at other sites? That will vary definitely because The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, and GTA5 are bound to win many awards.

I do want to say that ANYTHING can happen, and the GS community votes for GOTY, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a Naughty Dog GOTY at this site. I would welcome an 8.0 game somehow getting GOTY, but it just won't happen. If 2009's winner of over 100+ GOTY's Uncharted 2 (Metascore 96/100 with 105 critics!) couldn't win 2009 GOTY at Gamespot.com, I don't see how The Last of Us has a chance of GS GOTY with a TLOU AA 8.0 GS score...AT THIS SITE. The LAST OF US though will win GOTY at many other sites though, as will Bioshock Infinite.

ENDING of this Educational Post with GAME OF THE YEAR HILARIOUS SONG starring UNCHARTED 2 (Embed not working :( )

SolidTy

Nice analysis mate, you totally right at 100% GS don't like NightyDog games, but i'm talking about all site and how their reaction at end of 2013, also as brothers in game as i always call it ^_^ your personal opining is welcome, you can vote last of us as GOTY but sites will chose GTAV something like that.

Thanks for this share 

Mar_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Mar_Sama
Member since 2012 • 93 Posts

There are many great games, but from this four i picked The Last Of Us because it is in my opinion the best known. Ni No Kuni deserves it as much but the marketing was definately less BIG ASS as the one of The Last Of Us wich not only gamers know. GTAV is a little bit late in the Year 2013 so it aint so much noted.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

9.6 = GTA III

9.6 = GTA Vice City

9.6 = GTA San Andreas

10 = GTA 4

sssb

Nice analysis mate, you totally right at 100% GS don't like NightyDog games, but i'm talking about all site and how their reaction at end of 2013, also as brothers in game as i always call it ^_^ your personal opining is welcome, you can vote last of us as GOTY but sites will chose GTAV something like that.

Thanks for this share 

Thanks. :) I am glad you appreciated the effort. :cool:

Personally, it's very tough for me to say who I think will be GOTY, it's between Bioshock, TLOU, or GTA5. I'm not sure yet. I own all the games in your OP except for GTA5 which I have pre ordered.

I think at various websites right now TLOU will probably get the most GOTYs, however, if GTA5 does as amazing as GTA4, then I think GTA5 will get the most. Shout out to Bioshock Infinite as well. :P

FlavethesonPE1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FlavethesonPE1
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Likely Last of Us, GTAV looks great though
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

I think Grand Theft Auto V will win GOTY but The Last of Us is my personal choice so far.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#31 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
None of them would be close to making mine but for other people I would say The Last of Us.
pickettsticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pickettsticket
Member since 2012 • 193 Posts

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"]TLOU. Its never been done somewhat.firefox59
Nothing in The Last of Us was new. You might have loved the gameplay and enjoyed the story but that has been the biggest complaint against TLoU, that it's a "zombie apoc" scenario with a kid and an adult, both of which have been done a lot.

The premise is not new, no premise is new at all now, you can say halo was just another sci fi game, or oblivion was another open world fantasy.

But the story, character development and scenarios are like nothing else in any other game.

Quit the trolling 

And if you have played/playing it and all you are getting from it is a zombie apocalypse game . . . then you aint playing The Last of Us

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#33 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Tomb Raider deserved a mention imho
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

GTA 5 most likely, though I need to play The Last of Us before I make a decision on my personal GoTY.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

[QUOTE="firefox59"][QUOTE="Young_Charter"]TLOU. Its never been done somewhat.pickettsticket

The premise is not new, no premise is new at all now, you can say halo was just another sci fi game, or oblivion was another open world fantasy.

But the story, character development and scenarios are like nothing else in any other game.

Quit the trolling 

And if you have played/playing it and all you are getting from it is a zombie apocalypse game . . . then you aint playing The Last of Us

There's a reason zombie apocalypse was in quotes, you know what I'm talking about. There are plenty of new ideas in games or premises as you said: Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, the 1st Assassin's Creed, Heavy Rain (even if it wasn't that good), Vanquish, Bayonetta, Anomaly: Warzone and basically every new JRPG with a unique battle system. There are more, The Last of Us just isn't one of them. I'm not doubting that game isn't good/great/amazing, whatever, it just isn't original at all.
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaRq_MiNoS

where's Beyond ?

elkoldo

While I enjoyed Heavy Rain, there have been a lot of rumors going around that "Beyond: Two Souls" is a disaster. I'm definitely going to wait to see the reviews on that one.

XplicitVibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XplicitVibe
Member since 2013 • 29 Posts
I believe there is going to be so much to do in GTA V that it will take the title for game of the year.
SoulSnare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SoulSnare
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Though choice, but i'll go with TLoU 

but it will likely change since GTAV hasn't released yet

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
last of us for me
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

The last of us will probably win game of the year.

But im hoping GTA V will get it.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#41 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Its a tough call I've still yet to play The Last of Us, but at the moment Bioshock Infinite is my Game of the Year for now. Ni No Kuni comes in 2nd on my list

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts

I'm saying the Last of Us, but I haven't played all those games yet.  The Last of US is such a great game though

quattro_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 quattro_guy
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Last Of Us... though Bioshock Infinite is VERY good.  It's like choosing between Jessica Alba or Jessica Biel.  Tough call.  GTA V will no doubt be good but it seems to be like all the previous GTA combined with a very pretty face...  and Ni No Kuni, while still very good...  still a traditional JRPG. 

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

The Last of Us is GoTY. The review that GS gave it is irrelivant. 

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

While I'm sure GTAV will be fantastic, I see the award going to Last Of Us, despite Mc Shea ;) certainly on every other site if not here...

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts
I think it will be between GTA 5 and TLOU with GTA 5 winning
Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts

9.6 = GTA III

9.6 = GTA Vice City

9.6 = GTA San Andreas

10 = GTA 4

SolidTy
I cant stand Tom McShea ever since InFAMOUS 2(maybe sooner but thats as far as i can remember) i feel like hes written things on games and given them scores just to be different and point out ANYTHING he could to justify it. It sounds more like whining and complaining when he writes a review. Its actually one of the reasons i left GS for a bit. I started to not enjoy the reviews as much as i wanted to. The score is whatever, ive always been a person who read them instead of just going off of scores anyway, but this guy is just....UGH sometimes.
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Bioshock or TLoU. My personal one is Bioshock, though.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

9.6 = GTA III

9.6 = GTA Vice City

9.6 = GTA San Andreas

10 = GTA 4

Eazy1891

I cant stand Tom McShea ever since InFAMOUS 2(maybe sooner but thats as far as i can remember) i feel like hes written things on games and given them scores just to be different and point out ANYTHING he could to justify it. It sounds more like whining and complaining when he writes a review. Its actually one of the reasons i left GS for a bit. I started to not enjoy the reviews as much as i wanted to. The score is whatever, ive always been a person who read them instead of just going off of scores anyway, but this guy is just....UGH sometimes.

I feel you, even stranger than his low scoring reviews, at times, is some of his other higher rated reviews as well. Real Headscratchers.
Games be gettin' McShea'd.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Clearly Ni No Kuni. Best game of all-time. All-time meaning this year only.