which one is better, ps3 slim or super slim?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by alpha-blade (33 posts) -

my standard ps3 console have reached it's limit and the damn death light have shown up, so I'm thinking the only option i have got is to buy ps3 slim, but i don't know which is better, ps3 slim or the super slim, and please tell me which one is having the "heat problem" more than the other cause i play a plenty of hours and i don't want to have the death light on my ps3 any time sooner.

Thank u.

#2 Posted by revolution2k6 (1416 posts) -

my standard ps3 console have reached it's limit and the damn death light have shown up, so I'm thinking the only option i have got is to buy ps3 slim, but i don't know which is better, ps3 slim or the super slim, and please tell me which one is having the "heat problem" more than the other cause i play a plenty of hours and i don't want to have the death light on my ps3 any time sooner.

Thank u.

alpha-blade

Get a slim.

#3 Posted by bls_essex (266 posts) -
I bought a super slim to replace my slim and couldn't be happier. Takes up less space and more efficient. Nobody knows how reliable it is because it hasn't been out long enough.
#4 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -
I'd like a 500GB super slim at some point, but I will til the bugs are ironed out. Too many stories of frame rate issues and freezing.
#5 Posted by Oldgun (152 posts) -

Try to get the Slim Model before it gets phased out. It seems to be well build and will become hard to get once Super Slim becomes the norm.

I bought 120GB slim model since my 80GB MGS4 bundle died (2008-2012). The slim works very quietly and Sony really took cooling seriously in this model. I have upgraded to 750GB HDD (7200rpm) and so far it is working like a charm.

If you're an intense user, once the warranty goes out, try to change the thermal paste with a good one (e.g. Arctic Silver 5). This will definitely reduce the chances of getting a LYLOD in coming 4-5 years.

So far I haven't seen much cases of YLOD on slim models.

Super slims don't run quite, Discs do make lots of sound which is annoyingly audible. Plastic feels cheap. And Top opening cover will always invite dust to exposed laser.

These are my thoughts, hope it helps.

#6 Posted by alpha-blade (33 posts) -

thank u, it really help.

#7 Posted by roux1931DUR (1 posts) -

I have a superslim and sadly i'm having serious framerate/stutter/lag issues in offline gaming, already tried restoring the file system and rebuilding the database but nothing changes, probably a faulty hdd.

if you read some of the playstation uk forums you'll see that i'm not the only with these issues, there are a couple of hundred unsatisfied Sony customers with faulty superslims

#8 Posted by Megavideogamer (5327 posts) -

For looks the regular PS3 slim. 120GB,160GB,250GB,230GB. Series B 2000/2500. The PS3 Super Slim 250GB,500GB slide top loader is lesser as far as the look of the console. I don't like the ruffles on the top of the console. Looks wise "Ruffles" just doesn't look right.

Get the regular slim before they are gone.

#9 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -

I believe both are equally well done from hardware perspective and you shouldn't have any problems no matter which model you buy.

I would look for better deal instead that saves you money on good bundle.

#10 Posted by ReviewerDrake (766 posts) -
  • Looks = Fat
  • Reliability = Slim
  • Cheap = Super Slim
#11 Posted by clr84651 (5367 posts) -

Which is better PB & J's or turkey & cheese sandwiches?

#12 Posted by ReviewerDrake (766 posts) -

Which is better PB & J's or turkey & cheese sandwiches?

clr84651

turkey & cheese