Which Final Fantasy do you consider the best?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GuitarSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GuitarSmash
Member since 2013 • 274 Posts

I am asking on this forum, because i know a large majority of them are exclusive on Sony platforms...

I have only played: FFX (My favorite), X-2 (OH GOD WHY), XIII (Horrid), and XIII-2 (ok).

I think its safe to say i like the CTB (conditional turn-based) combat over the real time and that is why i consider FFX my favorite (aside from the great story and characters)

Which Final Fantasy games do you like and also, which ones do you recommend for something like FFX? (preferrably a FF on a Sony Console, besides PSP)

Sup3erman1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Sup3erman1986
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

To be honest, the is one of the hardest gaming questions to answer to date. They all have their own ups and downs about everything from character bios and story line depth to graphics and replay factor. Ive been collecting the FF series since I got my first PS1 with FF7. With the exception of FF13 and above, I own, and still actively play, all of the FF series that have been produced for the Playstation consoles (even the remastered retro ones that originally appeared on the SNES). That being said, I can't really say there is a clear cut 1st place in my opinion. Although, I do agree with you about FF X-2. That is definitely in dead last...lol. If your wanting some suggestions though, FF 7 is always a good choice. Granted the graphics are a little lacking because of it being a PS1 game, but I consider the characters, story line and replay value to score high marks in my book. I still haven't gotten bored with it after all the years...lol. I would also have to suggest FF Tactics. Yet again, another PS1 game, but I enjoyed how the battles required more strategy than was ever introduced in any installment in the series. Those are the two constants you can count on every time you play them, but if you really want a great experience, I would have to suggest that you try and find and play as many as you can. Just watching the evolution and ingenuity of each progressing game was always a treat for me when I was growing up. I hope you find this at least a little helpful, even though I can't give a clear favorite...lol. If you have any questions, comments or if you just want to ask me about any one of the games in the series, just shoot me a message and I'll do what I can to help.

Super_King_Fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Super_King_Fly
Member since 2013 • 55 Posts

FF 8 is my favourite followed by 10 and then 12.

but Persona 4 is the best RPG ever made so it doesn't really matter =P

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

VI (or FF III on SNES)

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

IX is my favorite, VI is my second favorite.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

For a long time my favorite was VII, but that was because it was the first one I played. Now though I consider IX to be my favorite, followed by VI, with VII now coming in 3rd.

Avatar image for The_Golden_Age-
The_Golden_Age-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Golden_Age-
Member since 2012 • 172 Posts

I've played all of them. My favourite is VI, followed by VIII. VI is pretty much universally loved while VIII is really divisive.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

For me it's gotta be FFIII (SNES i miss you!).

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

actually, i like FFXI the most. you don't really appreciate the FF staples like chocobos and airships until they become near necessities rather than keys and minor conveniences. plus parties and battle have never really been better. NPC's are fine and all, but i've never had the same companionship in FF game as i have in XI. you play as one member of the party, but there's as much or more to it as controlling an entire party in other FF games. seeing a whole party work together well is pretty cool.

of the single player games, i like FFXII the most. it has some of the same qualities as XI in that you can see creatures as you explore and there's no battle screen to take you out of the moment. it also goes a little further as creatures will fight each other too, making it seem less like nobody would have anything to do if you weren't there. the scale is pretty cool too and think it's more impressive than the narrow set pieces of FFXIII even though it was made for weaker hardware. that scale translates to battle too. minutia like minor attacks are automated and you control the overall flow of combat instead.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Personally, FFVII is my favorite, followed by FFVIII and FFX. I very much enjoyed FFVI as well.

Avatar image for The_Golden_Age-
The_Golden_Age-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Golden_Age-
Member since 2012 • 172 Posts

@LoG-Sacrament said:

actually, i like FFXI the most. you don't really appreciate the FF staples like chocobos and airships until they become near necessities rather than keys and minor conveniences. plus parties and battle have never really been better. NPC's are fine and all, but i've never had the same companionship in FF game as i have in XI. you play as one member of the party, but there's as much or more to it as controlling an entire party in other FF games. seeing a whole party work together well is pretty cool.

of the single player games, i like FFXII the most. it has some of the same qualities as XI in that you can see creatures as you explore and there's no battle screen to take you out of the moment. it also goes a little further as creatures will fight each other too, making it seem less like nobody would have anything to do if you weren't there. the scale is pretty cool too and think it's more impressive than the narrow set pieces of FFXIII even though it was made for weaker hardware. that scale translates to battle too. minutia like minor attacks are automated and you control the overall flow of combat instead.

I'd like to see XII get an "HD" remaster on Vita.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Final Fantasy XII.. Ivalice beats the rest of the FF worlds hands down. The setting had a very star wars vibe to it

Avatar image for Lord_of_Terrans
Lord_of_Terrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lord_of_Terrans
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts

@dalger21 said:

VI (or FF III on SNES)

This

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I'm only going to include the ones I've played and beaten.

X>VIII>IX>VII>X-2>XII

I'm playing through XIII right now on PS3 and IV on Android.

So far I'm really liking both of them.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#15 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

X is my favorite FF game by far

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

Of what i've played, FF7. yep, i'm one of "them". =P

though FF14:ARR is pretty much amazing. But being an MMO, i exclude it from these conversations. i'd be scared to see how many hours i've put into it already...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I'd give the nod to either Final Fantasy IV, (DS/iDevice versions) FFVI, (FFIII in the US on the SNES) or FFXII. (grossly under appreciated, and made significant changes while maintaining the series identity, unlike the XIII game series) A new version of FFIX that addresses the slowdown/lag problems it had on PSone would cause it shoot up there too, that game was a bit more than that hardware could handle at times.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The one without cutscenes

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Final Fantasy XII is my favorite. Grand scope, and great, customizable gameplay. Only downside of the game to me was the focus on a political story instead of a personal journey like Final Fantasy X.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It really is difficult to answer. I'd have to say FF7 is still my favorite, simply because I really liked the story and characters - and even to some extent the graphics, if one can believe that. It would be followed closely by FF9.

There weren't many FF games I didn't like prior to FF12, but since then I haven't really been able to get into them.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

IX then VII

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@TheTenth10 said:

IX then VII

I would think you'd say 10.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

@SpiderLuke said:

@TheTenth10 said:

IX then VII

I would think you'd say 10.

hehe, The Tenth is a comics from long ago which I liked a lot, the name "TheTenth" was already taken so I added "10" to stay in the spirit - I didn't like much FF10 mostly because of the spherier that was either too linear or too unbalanced if you wanted to be creative (I wanted to give Khimari some thief skills and he ended a poor warrior and a poor thief

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#24  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

6 (gba) > 7 (ps1) > 10 (ps2)

I have 9, but never got around to playing it.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

FF6 and FF7 are probaby tied in my mind. FF7 has the strongest story in the series, but FF6 has the strongest characters in the series. those are followed by FFX and FF12.

FF8 and FF9 are probably two of the worst... by a long shot. both are complete abortions in terms of story and characters. Freya from FF9 was the games only saving grace. FF8 is just a giant emo squad of characters, with one of the worst stories i have seen in an RPG in all my years of playing them.

then again, i dont think any of the FF games hold up to Grandia and Grandia 2. the original grandia is probably the single greatest JRPG ever created.

sssb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By sssb
Member since 2003 • 522 Posts

When come to better FF for me VII is best one you could say is best game i have ever played, 2nd one will be FFX, its really enjoyable.

I prefer old style battle system like FFX-2 its fast and entertainment.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Of the ones I've played X is my favourite, though I'm probably being a bit biased as it was my first FF game. IX comes in second, and VII third, even though I haven't actually finished it.

-Rhett81-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Rhett81-
Member since 2002 • 3569 Posts

I loved V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X. Never really played XII, and XIII was disappointing. That being said, my most favorite RPG ever played was Chrono Trigger ;)

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

@dalger21 said:

VI (or FF III on SNES)

Kusimeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kusimeka
Member since 2007 • 419 Posts

@RossRichard said:

@dalger21 said:

VI (or FF III on SNES)

I approve of this post!

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Final fantasy 7 was just amazing but what I liked about final fantasy was each one was different and now were getting rubbish like .2 and verus im sorry but feels like they have run out of fresh ideas for characters, I feel a updated ff7 world and characters would do wonders for them.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4574 Posts

My favorite so far is X. After that I would have to go with either V, VI, or IX but I can't really say more than that. I'm playing XIII now and it is better than I thought it would be, but you have to keep reading the updates in the codex thing or else the story is confusing at times. It's linear, but so was X so that doesn't bother me, but the lack of towns is irritating and does take away from the game.