Which do you like more Batman Arkham Asylum or Arkham City?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

These two games have been out long enough, and I am sure that this topic has been made before.

I am just wondering which of the two Batman games that people like more.

I have played both games. I played and completed Arkham Asylum on PS3 twice, Arkham City on Xbox 360 once, and I just got the GotY edition of Arkham City for $20 on PS3 and I am playing that again second time.

I had more fond memories with Arkham Asylum which could be because it was the first Batman game, but Arkham City has better overall combat and more things to do.

I like both games a lot, so it is hard to say which one I like more or better.

#2 Posted by nyc05 (10183 posts) -

I really liked both, but I enjoyed Asylum more.

Not even because it was first; after completing both I went back and played them over again back to back and I still found that I had more fun with Asylum than with City.

#3 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1326 posts) -
City is better in every category, it's the closest thing to a perfect game this gen.
#4 Posted by Blabadon (27651 posts) -
Having beat Asylum a month ago and City quite a while ago, I like City more. It's unfortunate that whatever was novel in Asylum was kind of lost on me because I played City first, but at least they were both fun.
#5 Posted by LordTrexGuy (482 posts) -

Arkham City anyday, I found Asylum so terrible, I didn't even finish the demo! Arkham City, although, was awesome.

#6 Posted by DenzelFreeman (100 posts) -
They were both amazing games but I'd have to say asylum. City did not do enough to build on the already great asylum. The world is larger and the combat has some new moves but other than that it's quite similar. I love them both thou just wish arkham city had offered something new.
#7 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7324 posts) -

Arkham City. The world was more open and easier to navigate, the gameplay mechanics were all refined and made even better, and the story was a lot better. They're both great games, but AC is the better game.

#8 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12208 posts) -
Both games are great, but I preferred Arkham City.
#9 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9193 posts) -

City is better in every category, it's the closest thing to a perfect game this gen.Granny_Spanked

This easily. I loved Arkham Asylum before playing City, but after playing Arkham City it's almost impossible to go back. It's such a  downgrade

-Combat: Vastly superior in City with far more moves and its far more smooth with a larger array of enemy types

-Stealth: superior in City because of far more gadgets and better designed maps as well as improved enemy AI and added enemy types.

-Exploration: superior in City because of a much bigger open world map filled with far more things to do

-Riddler collectibles and secrets: perhaps the most improved aspect in City over Asylum. These puzzles had FAR better quality and quantity over those found in Asylum.

-Challenge rooms: City has far more challenge rooms and with the far superior gameplay, these challenges were a lot more fun. Also City had 4 characters in which to master all these challenges to boot.

-Story: Arkham City also had a better story. Asylum felt like a run of the mill Saturday morning cartoon tale whereas Arkham City did a really good job of encompassing all the best themes and aspects of the Batman mythos into one adventure.

In closing, Arkham Asylum was necessary foot work in order for Rocksteady to deliver what is perhaps one of the most improved sequels in gaming.

#10 Posted by Byshop (12162 posts) -

Both are great, but Arkham City was just... more of what was already a great thing. I don't feel like anything that they changed from Asylum was for the worse, even though City wasn't perfect. I rarely go back and re-beat games but I've beaten each one at least three times.

-Byshop

#11 Posted by Lach0121 (9930 posts) -

I enjoyed the first more. Part of that reason is better optimization.  (DX11 on PC was horrible for AC) Another part is because it introduced me to such a game/style and take on a familiar franchise. (set a new standard of that type of game basically)

The fighting I enjoyed more on the second game. It was one of the improvements, like stealth, and exploration.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the snow areas, and valleys with smoke coming up through the vents of the City in AC, I think I prefered AA better. AC felt like they tried to cram a little too much into an area that was just a little too small for what all was going on. I felt AA did a better job of pacing, but exploration still goes to AC even though it felt a little cramped.  

Played both on PC mind you. 

That being said there were both fantastic, but unless the game runs horribly, or looks really bad compared to other versions... I will get the next Batman game on the WiiU, for use with the Tablet controller more. (if it is an option)

#12 Posted by Byshop (12162 posts) -

I enjoyed the first more. Part of that reason is better optimization.  (DX11 on PC was horrible for AC) Another part is because it introduced me to such a game/style and take on a familiar franchise. (set a new standard of that type of game basically)

The fighting I enjoyed more on the second game. It was one of the improvements, like stealth, and exploration.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the snow areas, and valleys with smoke coming up through the vents of the City in AC, I think I prefered AA better. AC felt like they tried to cram a little too much into an area that was just a little too small for what all was going on. I felt AA did a better job of pacing, but exploration still goes to AC even though it felt a little cramped.  

Played both on PC mind you. 

That being said there were both fantastic, but unless the game runs horribly, or looks really bad compared to other versions... I will get the next Batman game on the WiiU, for use with the Tablet controller more. (if it is an option)

Lach0121

Hmmm, good point. I forgot what a completely @ss-like port the PC version of City was when it first came out. A more solid PC version was one area in which Asylum exceeded City.

-Byshop

#13 Posted by Keegan_2634 (46 posts) -

Batman Arkham city did something that very few games ever do now and what's that it's quite simple you take everything that made the first one good and double it

Arkham city was a game that I truly felt that deserved game of the year (I think it actually did receive the reward)

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15192 posts) -
To everyone who prefers Arkham City, can you tell me what these 4 side missions have in common: Watcher In The Wings and Identity Theft, and to a lesser extent, Shot In The Dark and Finding Nora Fries.

Thats right ! . . . . . Completing Them was either Dumb Luck, or sheer persistance. The 1st two had you search the entire City for them and the other two had you search a smaller area. With absolutely no usefull clues to go on.

#15 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

Batman Arkham city did something that very few games ever do now and what's that it's quite simple you take everything that made the first one good and double it

Arkham city was a game that I truly felt that deserved game of the year (I think it actually did receive the reward)

Keegan_2634
Yep, Arkham City did get the game of the year as that is the version I just got for $20 on PS3. You get all of the dlc, so it was a great deal.
#16 Posted by marcheegsr (2962 posts) -

Both are great games.

But I liked asylum more.

#17 Posted by Outsider-G (2448 posts) -
Arkham City
#18 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9193 posts) -

To everyone who prefers Arkham City, can you tell me what these 4 side missions have in common: Watcher In The Wings and Identity Theft, and to a lesser extent, Shot In The Dark and Finding Nora Fries.

Thats right ! . . . . . Completing Them was either Dumb Luck, or sheer persistance. The 1st two had you search the entire City for them and the other two had you search a smaller area. With absolutely no usefull clues to go on.

Lulu_Lulu

I think that identity theft was the only difficult one to find. Finding Nora was quite natural as you gain the item you need to find her just before finding her and they show the vacinity she's in. I put two and two together there.

Detective mode made finding Azrael and the gun shot victims pretty effortless. 

#19 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

These two games have been out long enough, and I am sure that this topic has been made before.

I am just wondering which of the two Batman games that people like more.

I have played both games. I played and completed Arkham Asylum on PS3 twice, Arkham City on Xbox 360 once, and I just got the GotY edition of Arkham City for $20 on PS3 and I am playing that again second time.

I had more fond memories with Arkham Asylum which could be because it was the first Batman game, but Arkham City has better overall combat and more things to do.

I like both games a lot, so it is hard to say which one I like more or better.

ghstbstr
It wasn't the first Batman game, but it certainly made an impact for the character, and helped make a "cool" Batman game after Batman Begins was the "cool" Batman movie :) That said, I enjoyed Arkham City more because it provided me a lot bigger 'playground' and additional playable characters with unique abilities and weapons.
#20 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stinger78"]It wasn't the first Batman game, but it certainly made an impact for the character, and helped make a "cool" Batman game after Batman Begins was the "cool" Batman movie :) That said, I enjoyed Arkham City more because it provided me a lot bigger 'playground' and additional playable characters with unique abilities and weapons.

Oh yea, I forgot about that Batman Begins game. I have it and I have played some of it, but I haven't finished it. I do remember that it was a good game. I think that I may have to play some more of it soon. Thanks for reminding me about it.
#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15192 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]To everyone who prefers Arkham City, can you tell me what these 4 side missions have in common: Watcher In The Wings and Identity Theft, and to a lesser extent, Shot In The Dark and Finding Nora Fries.

Pikminmaniac

I think that identity theft was the only difficult one to find. Finding Nora was quite natural as you gain the item you need to find her just before finding her and they show the vacinity she's in. I put two and two together there.

Detective mode made finding Azrael and the gun shot victims pretty effortless. 

I'm glad you had fun, thing is, the scripted nature of the side missions ment some don't become available until after a specific mission. I'm guessing you didn't start those side missions until near the end. I bumped into Azrael near the Court by accident Immidiately after helping out Selena. I spent the next 2 hours searching for a dude that wasn't even there, anywhere. Had the exact same problem with Identity Theft which was worse because the dead bodies can't be seen through walls like the other inmates. The other two were also easy but thats not the point, the point is thats a crappy investigative technique.
#22 Posted by Byshop (12162 posts) -

I'm glad you had fun, thing is, the scripted nature of the side missions ment some don't become available until after a specific mission. I'm guessing you didn't start those side missions until near the end. I bumped into Azrael near the Court by accident Immidiately after helping out Selena. I spent the next 2 hours searching for a dude that wasn't even there, anywhere. Had the exact same problem with Identity Theft which was worse because the dead bodies can't be seen through walls like the other inmates. The other two were also easy but thats not the point, the point is thats a crappy investigative technique.Lulu_Lulu

I agree that these were abiguous, but not impossible. For Deadshot, both bodies are in the street (although obscured) so it's not like they were crammed down back alleys. Azrael I didn't find the first time until 3/4 of the way through the game.

I did have one big gripe with AC, though, and that was around the Riddler trophies. My complaint was that every Riddler trophy was scored the same (i.e. worth one trophy) even though the amount of effort required to retrieve them was not equal by any stretch. Many were mind numblingly easy to get to, while others were -very- tricky and took many, many tries to do successfully. Others, still, required some crazy puzzle knowledge or understanding of how to perform tricks using your equipment that don't appear to be documented anywhere. Where does the game tell you that if you zoom your visor in, you can selectively blow up explosives? Where does it tell you that you can electrify a Batarang if you throw a remote Batarang in a straight line, immediately drop control and quickfire your stun gun?

And the reward you get for each of these? One trophy each. :P The trophy rewards should have been scaled according to the amount of difficulty it took to solve/obtain the trophy.

-Byshop

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15192 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]I'm glad you had fun, thing is, the scripted nature of the side missions ment some don't become available until after a specific mission. I'm guessing you didn't start those side missions until near the end. I bumped into Azrael near the Court by accident Immidiately after helping out Selena. I spent the next 2 hours searching for a dude that wasn't even there, anywhere. Had the exact same problem with Identity Theft which was worse because the dead bodies can't be seen through walls like the other inmates. The other two were also easy but thats not the point, the point is thats a crappy investigative technique.Byshop

I agree that these were abiguous, but not impossible. For Deadshot, both bodies are in the street (although obscured) so it's not like they were crammed down back alleys. Azrael I didn't find the first time until 3/4 of the way through the game.

I did have one big gripe with AC, though, and that was around the Riddler trophies. My complaint was that every Riddler trophy was scored the same (i.e. worth one trophy) even though the amount of effort required to retrieve them was not equal by any stretch. Many were mind numblingly easy to get to, while others were -very- tricky and took many, many tries to do successfully. Others, still, required some crazy puzzle knowledge or understanding of how to perform tricks using your equipment that don't appear to be documented anywhere. Where does the game tell you that if you zoom your visor in, you can selectively blow up explosives? Where does it tell you that you can electrify a Batarang if you throw a remote Batarang in a straight line, immediately drop control and quickfire your stun gun?

And the reward you get for each of these? One trophy each. :P The trophy rewards should have been scaled according to the amount of difficulty it took to solve/obtain the trophy.

-Byshop

lol, for me the trophy's meant absolutely nothing to me, So I hated the ones that didn't required some effort, but when it came to the puzzles I was in Portal mode, I wanted to prove myself to Mr. Nygma the same way I proved myself to GlaDOS, I was in it for the challange. Oh and those secrete gadget features never botherd me, because one or 2 of them actualy come from Arkham Asylum, plus when I went to bed at night I would dream about experimenting with Batman's gadgets, yep, In essence I basicly solved puzzle in my sleep, thats how deep these games got me, I never had a problem with the Riddler Content because my ego is just as big as his is. Those puzzles were like crack that gave me a Narcisistic High. :P
#24 Posted by Byshop (12162 posts) -

lol, for me the trophy's meant absolutely nothing to me, So I hated the ones that didn't required some effort, but when it came to the puzzles I was in Portal mode, I wanted to prove myself to Mr. Nygma the same way I proved myself to GlaDOS, I was in it for the challange. Oh and those secrete gadget features never botherd me, because one or 2 of them actualy come from Arkham Asylum, plus when I went to bed at night I would dream about experimenting with Batman's gadgets, yep, In essence I basicly solved puzzle in my sleep, thats how deep these games got me, I never had a problem with the Riddler Content because my ego is just as big as his is. Those puzzles were like crack that gave me a Narcisistic High. :P Lulu_Lulu

I was annoyed because I needed so many to do the Riddler mission. Otherwise I would have ignored them. Asylum had selective detonation, but it worked differently if I remember correctly because the whole visor thing was new to me and I had to read about it on Gamefaqs. The Batarang/Stun gun thing was just annoying because I wasted a long time looking for a live circuit where there wasn't one.

Still, minor complaint about a game that I have beaten like 5 times.

-Byshop

#25 Posted by MiguelNoche (183 posts) -

I really liked both, but I enjoyed Asylum more.

Not even because it was first; after completing both I went back and played them over again back to back and I still found that I had more fun with Asylum than with City.

nyc05
I couldn't have said it better myself. BTW, is Origins open world or more linear like Asylum? Do we know?
#26 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15192 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]lol, for me the trophy's meant absolutely nothing to me, So I hated the ones that didn't required some effort, but when it came to the puzzles I was in Portal mode, I wanted to prove myself to Mr. Nygma the same way I proved myself to GlaDOS, I was in it for the challange. Oh and those secrete gadget features never botherd me, because one or 2 of them actualy come from Arkham Asylum, plus when I went to bed at night I would dream about experimenting with Batman's gadgets, yep, In essence I basicly solved puzzle in my sleep, thats how deep these games got me, I never had a problem with the Riddler Content because my ego is just as big as his is. Those puzzles were like crack that gave me a Narcisistic High. :P Byshop

I was annoyed because I needed so many to do the Riddler mission. Otherwise I would have ignored them. Asylum had selective detonation, but it worked differently if I remember correctly because the whole visor thing was new to me and I had to read about it on Gamefaqs. The Batarang/Stun gun thing was just annoying because I wasted a long time looking for a live circuit where there wasn't one.

Still, minor complaint about a game that I have beaten like 5 times.

-Byshop

Hey ! ME TOO ! :D. I get what you mean, the riddler wouldn't let you save the next Hostage because you didn't complete 150 of his challanges (or arbitrary Hurdles), yeah that was a real pace breaker, it never bothered me until the last hostage. Ironicaly, he's by far my favourite character in the game, purely because he accused me of using a walkthrough on the internet when I solved one of his challanges, which I thought was hilarious !
#27 Posted by pillarrocks (1320 posts) -

Arkham City. The world was more open and easier to navigate, the gameplay mechanics were all refined and made even better, and the story was a lot better. They're both great games, but AC is the better game.

#28 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (566 posts) -

I preferred Asylum. The story to AC was way too short. You could finish it in one session. That seemed like a crime to me after how much work they put into that city. To do that city justice, they needed more like a 30+ hour campaign. I thought it could have been a masterpiece, but it felt like they rushed it to the market to cash in.

#29 Posted by Byshop (12162 posts) -

Hey ! ME TOO ! :D. I get what you mean, the riddler wouldn't let you save the next Hostage because you didn't complete 150 of his challanges (or arbitrary Hurdles), yeah that was a real pace breaker, it never bothered me until the last hostage. Ironicaly, he's by far my favourite character in the game, purely because he accused me of using a walkthrough on the internet when I solved one of his challanges, which I thought was hilarious ! Lulu_Lulu

Yeah, it's like 340 total or so that you have to get in order to finish his side mission. The first couple HUNDRED are easy but the fewer you get, the more you have to hunt. Not all of them are trophies, though. Some of them are combat challenges, etc.

-Byshop

#30 Posted by flowersjf (2856 posts) -
Both were amazing games, but I'll give City the slight edge in my book.
#31 Posted by Jimbowesker (283 posts) -

I'm one of the few who enjoyed Arkham Asylum more. Although Arkham City is vastly more open world, I felt Arkham Asylum had more of a dark background and gave alot of villain info. I loved both but I enjoyed the more disturbing, dark elements of Arkham Asylum more than the open world city in the 2nd. Batman is a dark story with evil characters and I feel that it should be portrayed that way as The Dark Knight was done. Like I said tho, I enjoyed both games.

#32 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15192 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]

Yeah, it's like 340 total or so that you have to get in order to finish his side mission. The first couple HUNDRED are easy but the fewer you get, the more you have to hunt. Not all of them are trophies, though. Some of them are combat challenges, etc.

-Byshop

Byshop

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]Hey ! ME TOO ! :D. I get what you mean, the riddler wouldn't let you save the next Hostage because you didn't complete 150 of his challanges (or arbitrary Hurdles), yeah that was a real pace breaker, it never bothered me until the last hostage. Ironicaly, he's by far my favourite character in the game, purely because he accused me of using a walkthrough on the internet when I solved one of his challanges, which I thought was hilarious ! Byshop

-Byshop

Hopefully they'l address your concerns in Arkham Origins, speaking of which, theres been no talk of The Riddler or Puzzles and I'm starting to get scared. :(
#33 Posted by evdenevevip (9 posts) -
paylasm cn tesekurler http://www.evdeneveildenilenakliyat.com/
#34 Posted by evdenevevip (9 posts) -

[QUOTE="AvatarMan96"]

pillarrocks

paylasm cn tesekkurler http://www.evdeneveildenilenakliyat.com/
#35 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9193 posts) -

I preferred Asylum. The story to AC was way too short. You could finish it in one session. That seemed like a crime to me after how much work they put into that city. To do that city justice, they needed more like a 30+ hour campaign. I thought it could have been a masterpiece, but it felt like they rushed it to the market to cash in.

DaRq_MiNoS

It's a shame you seem to only be in it to reachthe credits because Arkham City is probably the most content rich action adventure game ever created. You can really easily get over 40 hours of gameplay out of it. Arkham City is absolutely NOT a cash in in any way. I can't really think of a sequel that hadthis much effort put into it.

#36 Posted by evdenevevip (9 posts) -
They were both amazing games but I'd have to say asylum. City did not do enough to build on the already great asylum. The world is larger and the combat has some new moves but other than that it's quite similar. I love them both thou just wish arkham city had offered something new. DenzelFreeman
paylasm cn tesekurler http://www.evdeneveildenilenakliyat.com/
#37 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
[QUOTE="ghstbstr"][QUOTE="Stinger78"]It wasn't the first Batman game, but it certainly made an impact for the character, and helped make a "cool" Batman game after Batman Begins was the "cool" Batman movie :) That said, I enjoyed Arkham City more because it provided me a lot bigger 'playground' and additional playable characters with unique abilities and weapons.

Oh yea, I forgot about that Batman Begins game. I have it and I have played some of it, but I haven't finished it. I do remember that it was a good game. I think that I may have to play some more of it soon. Thanks for reminding me about it.

I mainly meant that there have been Batman games clear back to the 8-bit consoles (at least), but it took these to really help the player "feel" like Batman.
#38 Posted by sukraj (23441 posts) -

Haven't played either of those games.