Where is Another World on PSN?

#1 Edited by SpiderLuke (477 posts) -

I know it was delayed at least, or I hope that's all it is. I was hoping to get it, but it is missing from PSN. Nobody has really followed up much on this and have basically pretended like it's out.

Is it still coming? If so, when?

If I have to wait too long I might just get it on Wii U. Kind of wanted the crossplay/crossbuy, but I guess I can just play on the gamepad of Wii U if I really have to.

#2 Posted by SpiderLuke (477 posts) -

So nobody knows?

#3 Edited by SolidTy (42446 posts) -

This is what I found so far, but it's obviously not updated:

---

The console versions of the 20th Anniversary port were released by Digital Lounge for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, Xbone, and Nintendo 3DS in June 2014. The three PlayStation versions allow cross-platform functionality.

According to Digital Lounge, the goal was to "simply to deliver the original experience of Another World faithfully, with the benefits of today’s hardware and a high level of polish. Chahi said the animations were "refined to remove the rough edges revealed by such a high resolution rendering" of up to 2560×1600 pixels.

UPDATE:

It was stealth delayed on PS platforms. Peculiar. It may be because of the cross-buy deals, but no definitive answer was given for the delay. The game should be $7.99 or in that range. If you want the Another World remake now and can't wait to hear why this remake was mysteriously delayed for a week on three Playstation platforms (it should be a short delay), you can go with your plan and buy it on Wii U.

Of course, Playstation updates on Tuesday which is tomorrow, so perhaps you could wait a day and see if the game appears tomorrow in the PS Store. That's what I would do, wait until tomorrow as the benefits of Cross-Buy/Cross-Save would be worth it for the same $7.99 price. Plus, I don't support Nintendo's DD system as it ties games to the hardware instead of being account based.

My guess is the developers (Digital Lounge) wanted to tweak or came across a bug with the the PS cross platform functionality (between the PS4-PS3-Vita), which makes the PS platform versions slightly more complex, especially considering the cloud saving features, et cetera. The reason also could be financial. If the game is Cross-Buy, perhaps the devs didn't want to release the game on PS first since gamers would be getting three games for the price of one.

I played this game decades ago, but back then it was called, "Out Of This World". I still have my ancient copy, but I'll keep an eye on this ported title when it goes on sale down the road.

#4 Posted by ristactionjakso (5713 posts) -

Im pretty sure I have seen it on ps4 psn.

#5 Posted by thegamingjunkie (197 posts) -

@ristactionjakso: same, I've seen it on psn too, for a couple of days now already...

#6 Edited by VintAge68 (408 posts) -

I bought it for two bucks on the OUYA (!) a while ago; can actually see why you like it

#7 Edited by SolidTy (42446 posts) -

@ristactionjakso said:

Im pretty sure I have seen it on ps4 psn.

No, I did a search on PS3 and PS4 yesterday specifically for the game after reading your post and it wasn't there.

Furthermore, I even went to the Sony Store on PC (LINK HERE) to verify my results yesterday. Alas, the game was not to be found. I triple checked three ways yesterday.

The good news is that today is TUESDAY, PSN update day so my advice above was for him to wait until today...and presto, we got lift off one day later! Not only that, anyone interested as a New Release Title, you get an additional 10% off launch week starting today! Cheaper on PSN than other platforms (7.99 is the regular price, PS+ members get 10% off).

@thegamingjunkie said:

@ristactionjakso: same, I've seen it on psn too, for a couple of days now already...

I live in the west, but it wasn't released in my region as of yesterday. It's not a big deal because my advice of having him wait until Tuesday update day paid off.

I took this screen today and the game is now available right now.

#8 Edited by SolidTy (42446 posts) -
@SolidTy said:

This is what I found so far, but it's obviously not updated:

---

The console versions of the 20th Anniversary port were released by Digital Lounge for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, Wii U, Xbone, and Nintendo 3DS in June 2014. The three PlayStation versions allow cross-platform functionality.

According to Digital Lounge, the goal was to "simply to deliver the original experience of Another World faithfully, with the benefits of today’s hardware and a high level of polish. Chahi said the animations were "refined to remove the rough edges revealed by such a high resolution rendering" of up to 2560×1600 pixels.

UPDATE:

It was stealth delayed on PS platforms. Peculiar. It may be because of the cross-buy deals, but no definitive answer was given for the delay. The game should be $7.99 or in that range. If you want the Another World remake now and can't wait to hear why this remake was mysteriously delayed for a week on three Playstation platforms (it should be a short delay), you can go with your plan and buy it on Wii U.

Of course, Playstation updates on Tuesday which is tomorrow, so perhaps you could wait a day and see if the game appears tomorrow in the PS Store. That's what I would do, wait until tomorrow as the benefits of Cross-Buy/Cross-Save would be worth it for the same $7.99 price. Plus, I don't support Nintendo's DD system as it ties games to the hardware instead of being account based.

My guess is the developers (Digital Lounge) wanted to tweak or came across a bug with the the PS cross platform functionality (between the PS4-PS3-Vita), which makes the PS platform versions slightly more complex, especially considering the cloud saving features, et cetera. The reason also could be financial. If the game is Cross-Buy, perhaps the devs didn't want to release the game on PS first since gamers would be getting three games for the price of one.

I played this game decades ago, but back then it was called, "Out Of This World". I still have my ancient copy, but I'll keep an eye on this ported title when it goes on sale down the road.

I checked five minutes ago on PS4 and bam, it was in the new releases section. What's more, the game is 10% off if you are a PS+ member, making it cheaper than the expected $7.99 price. There you go, mystery solved. You are welcome on all the work I put into this case.