When will PS3 upscale PS2 games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Before release Sony said 1080p PS2 games but don't have it yet.

I know GoW2 will upscale to 720p on PS3 but I think that's programmed into the game not the PS3 upscaling it. I want PS3 to upscale all PS2 games.

Is it ever coming? I heard there is a scaler ship in PS3 so it is possible right? If its coming when?

jerrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jerrt
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts
oh really? it will upscale to 720p? i hadn't heard that yet, but that is cool. there apparently is some sort of scaler chip, but sony hasn't talked much about it told the dev's much about it. from what i've heard it isn't as flexible as a full scaler chip. the ps3 will upscale games to 420p, but the games that look the best of the ones with a progressive option. we will see soon what is in store. i have a feeling sony has been holding off alot of things till the euro launch.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts

oh really? it will upscale to 720p? i hadn't heard that yet, but that is cool. there apparently is some sort of scaler chip, but sony hasn't talked much about it told the dev's much about it. from what i've heard it isn't as flexible as a full scaler chip. the ps3 will upscale games to 420p, but the games that look the best of the ones with a progressive option. we will see soon what is in store. i have a feeling sony has been holding off alot of things till the euro launch.jerrt

lol, there is no 420p. And games don't have to be upscaled to 480p... that's the same resolution as a standard tv set.

I've never heard any news of the PS3 upscaling PS2 games to 1080p. And I'm not sure it would look very good if it did.... just like dvd's, scalers can't magically enhance data that's not already in the source material. Which is why upscaled dvd's look better than trying to play them on a regular dvd player but still don't look nearly as good as the same movie on blu ray/hd-dvd.

I want new PS3 games to enjoy gaming in HD.... I enjoy my PS2 titles as is.

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
Considering the PS3 doesn't upscale PS3 games, I think they should work on that first.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Considering the PS3 doesn't upscale PS3 games, I think they should work on that first.b11051973
lol yeah
ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath on this option.  It would probably take software emulation to accomplish, totally defeating the purpose of putting PSone and PS2 hardware into the PS3.  Just be thankful you can play almost all your games from the past two generations.  I have almost 100 hundred PSone and PS2 games and they all work.  I can't even get a majority of my original Xbox games to work on my 360.  Sony and Nintendo did BC right, Microsoft did not.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath on this option.  It would probably take software emulation to accomplish, totally defeating the purpose of putting PSone and PS2 hardware into the PS3.  Just be thankful you can play almost all your games from the past two generations.  I have almost 100 hundred PSone and PS2 games and they all work.  I can't even get a majority of my original Xbox games to work on my 360.  Sony and Nintendo did BC right, Microsoft did not.ajefferism
True. But I sure liked playing Halo 2 in letterbox 720p with 4X Anti Aliasing. Too bad all Xbox games didn't receive the royal treatment though.
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

[QUOTE="jerrt"]oh really? it will upscale to 720p? i hadn't heard that yet, but that is cool. there apparently is some sort of scaler chip, but sony hasn't talked much about it told the dev's much about it. from what i've heard it isn't as flexible as a full scaler chip. the ps3 will upscale games to 420p, but the games that look the best of the ones with a progressive option. we will see soon what is in store. i have a feeling sony has been holding off alot of things till the euro launch.Sgt_Hale

lol, there is no 420p. And games don't have to be upscaled to 480p... that's the same resolution as a standard tv set.

I've never heard any news of the PS3 upscaling PS2 games to 1080p. And I'm not sure it would look very good if it did.... just like dvd's, scalers can't magically enhance data that's not already in the source material. Which is why upscaled dvd's look better than trying to play them on a regular dvd player but still don't look nearly as good as the same movie on blu ray/hd-dvd.

Um, no it's not.  480i is the resolution of a standard TV set.  480p is progressive scan.  Big difference.

snyper1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 snyper1982
Member since 2004 • 3407 Posts

[QUOTE="jerrt"]oh really? it will upscale to 720p? i hadn't heard that yet, but that is cool. there apparently is some sort of scaler chip, but sony hasn't talked much about it told the dev's much about it. from what i've heard it isn't as flexible as a full scaler chip. the ps3 will upscale games to 420p, but the games that look the best of the ones with a progressive option. we will see soon what is in store. i have a feeling sony has been holding off alot of things till the euro launch.Sgt_Hale

SD sets are 480i, not 480P.
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
[QUOTE="b11051973"]Considering the PS3 doesn't upscale PS3 games, I think they should work on that first.donalbane
lol yeah

Just set the PS3 to output all formats and your tv will take care of it - true for 99% of all people .........just tired of this issue