When Will a PS3 Price Drop Come?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PHI_Flyers10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 PHI_Flyers10
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts

I'm dying to get a PS3 and I've had a launch one in my house but it sits in my living room and is technically my dad's. It just collects dust and nobody uses it for anything. He won't let me have it and he said he'll think about letting me put it in my room until I buy my own one. I just can't sit in the living room playing God of War or anything so I can't really use the PS3. 

When do you guys think a price drop is coming? I can find used slims for about $170 but nothing beats a fresh new console. 

Also, do you advise against the Super Slim? It looks a little stupid to me and I'm not a big fan of the top sliding open. I've also heard some bad things about them. Should I just stick with the Slim if I can find one?

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
The last 2 price drops were announced at Gamescom. So Gamescom (August).
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
I would think shortly before PS4 officially launches.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I'm trying to decide whether I buy a new TV or PS3 too. I may wait until August to see if the price drops. Problem is, I already have too many games to play this holiday so its hard to justify the purchase.

PHI_Flyers10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PHI_Flyers10

Waiting until Gamescon is gonna suck for me but if it saves me money then I suppose it'll be good. I can find a 320 GB Slim on Amazon used for about $170-180 but they generally don't include a charging cable or some small. I'd like a 500 GB one because I think the one I'm using is only 20 GB and I'm download PS+ games to it right now and I'm gonna run out of room.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
Probably next year. Why would they lower the price of the PS3 just before the PS4 comes out? That would only push people towards the PS3 instead of the PS4 like Sony wants.
PHI_Flyers10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PHI_Flyers10

Probably next year. Why would they lower the price of the PS3 just before the PS4 comes out? That would only push people towards the PS3 instead of the PS4 like Sony wants.anime_gamer007

Eh, I'm not sure I completely agree with that. I remember the PS2 was pretty cheap around the time the 360 came out and then really cheap when the PS3 came out. I can see what you're saying but I'm finally jumping back on the PlayStation wagon after 9 years. I just want to get a PS3 to play all the old PS2 game collections they re-released and then all the amazing exclusives I've missed out on. 

It'd be smart to get people who were sole owners of the 360 (like myself) be enticed to go the PlayStation route by dropping the price and showing us how great the console is.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

Waiting until Gamescon is gonna suck for me but if it saves me money then I suppose it'll be good. I can find a 320 GB Slim on Amazon used for about $170-180 but they generally don't include a charging cable or some small. I'd like a 500 GB one because I think the one I'm using is only 20 GB and I'm download PS+ games to it right now and I'm gonna run out of room.

PHI_Flyers10
Why don't you just buy a smaller HDD PS3 and then swap out for a larger HDD on your own? You'll probably save some money that way since the smaller HDD PS3s aren't in demand as much.
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts

I don't really like my slim. I like the ol phat gal. Its just uglier, little louder, feel like the xmb is slower, but its still a good version cuz just having a ps3 is good. If you could really wait. Then I say black Friday will prolly have really good deals. Gamescom will be an announcement for price cut probably.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

My guess is $199 for 250GB at GamesCom. Maybe I'll get one then. Hopefully the $299 GTA V bundle takes a price cut too.

LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
I would say either in August or September.
Meta-Gnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Meta-Gnostic
Member since 2007 • 977 Posts
Highly likely before PS4 launches and 50/50 likely sometime in August/September, especially with GTA V launching in Sept.
PHI_Flyers10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PHI_Flyers10

[QUOTE="PHI_Flyers10"]

Kravyn81

Why don't you just buy a smaller HDD PS3 and then swap out for a larger HDD on your own? You'll probably save some money that way since the smaller HDD PS3s aren't in demand as much.

They're actually surprisingly about the same price from what I've seen. If anything, there's like a $20 difference and buying a bigger hard drive would cost more than that. I do think it's awesome that you can upgrade the HDD with any one that fits. The Xbox hard drives blow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad5af79a96e8
deactivated-5ad5af79a96e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5ad5af79a96e8
Member since 2013 • 606 Posts
I was hoping for an announcement by the end of this week. Long time Xbox 360 fan but looking to go PS4 now rather than Xbox One. So part of me wonders about buying any more 360 games, just in case there are any crossover deals (dlc or download codes for future games etc). I tend to pre-order my games 6 months in advance. Seem to me I might as well switch to PS3 now, get PSN setup and ready everything for the PS4. A cheap 'Last of Us' PS3 bundle would be ideal just about now....
MrGameChef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGameChef
Member since 2013 • 76 Posts
Pretty sure a bunch of them should be showing up in craigslist soon.