What's your price cutoff for the new console?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

With the announcement date having been revealed, and amid the inevitable speculation of the PS4 (assuming that's the name) on such things as new hardware and backwards compatibility, one thing I'm sure to speculate on is the price. The PS3 launch price was $500 and $600, which stopped quite a few gamers from buying it, despite the hype. What would be your cutoff for the price of the next console that'd stop you from getting it? 

I know I'll be waiting at least a couple years, since I'm not willing to pay more than $300 for a console. But that'll probably change once I see the reveal and whatever features it might have.  Granted, I still think it's better to wait until a newer, slimmer version of the console comes out with a bigger hard drive and slashed price. That's worth the 2-3 year wait to me. 

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I paid $600 launch for the PS3 (but only because I was able to sell 2 others for over $2500)

I'll consider anyting at the $500 price point but anything over that is going to make me a very tough sell.  Plus it'll be very dependent on the features and I likely will not purchase at launch again, not until another Uncharted game shows up on the system in all honesty.

getsmizacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 getsmizacked
Member since 2012 • 67 Posts

Like you said, it really depends on what the console has to offer. Generally, I'd agree with you and say $300.

If there's some crazy features introduced or something that I can't resist then I could easily spend upwards of $500.

Even still, if there's no backwards compatibility, then I won't buy it at all for a while. At least not until Gran Turismo 6 comes out. I play GT5 all the time. If I can't play it on PS4, and there's  no GT6 at launch, I'm not interested. As far as I know GT5 still isn't available for digital download.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

There was a rumor this month that Sony was going to keep the price down to $350 at launch. Wonder if that would include a game (like Uncharted 4 :D )

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts
I'm willing to go as high as 400 dollars.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I'll probably get it mid-2014 depending how things pan out. Up to £400 if it's good enough but I don't expect it to cost above $400/£300.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#7 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

$249.99. I will be getting the Slim version if I do in fact get the PS4. I'm going to wait for several years before thinking about it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If PS4 is more than $399 I won't even consider buying it.

SquidBiskets78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SquidBiskets78
Member since 2011 • 197 Posts

As others have already said, $300.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

That video doesn't say it's going to be about the PS4. It could be about other news about PS3 etc. 

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clr84651

Bigboi500

Well it'll be $449. So I guess you wont be buying it. LOL 

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clr84651

My cutoff is $600. Same as it was with PS3. 

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaRq_MiNoS

That video doesn't say it's going to be about the PS4. It could be about other news about PS3 etc. 

clr84651
C'mon, what big news could they have about the PS3? Not to mention all the rumors about announcements of new consoles coming.
ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

Right now, I'd say $399, but that's negotiable as the year goes on.  I think the launch games will play a big part in my decision.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#15 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
The PS3 was at $400 when I got mine, so I think that's a fair cut-off point for the next Playstation. Depending on features/games, I still probably won't get one until maybe a year after it releases. But it might not take much for me to break and purchase on within 6 months of its launch if it's $350 or under.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

$0

Not a fan of modern video games. 

PAAGGs (Play As A Gun Game)

pewpews

set pieces

linearity

QTEs

games trying to be movies

casualized / watered down / accessibility to cater to the moronic drooling masses (CoD, FFXIII series, DmC, NG3, Splinter Cell, REsident Evil)

What the F*** ever happened to quality video games? 

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

When it drops to $299.99, I will then consider to buy it.

Why anybody would spend an outrageous amount (+$500) for a launch system that tends to be buggy with only a few good games in the library befuddles me?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'll probably wait until the system is $250 like I did with PS3. It's just how I roll

Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

$400.  Which is exactly what I expect it to be launching at.  

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
I've never been an early adopter; too much risk. I'll have to see what Sony has to say since my interest is piqued, but that's about it. I'm perfectly happy with my PS3 and there are oodles upon oodles of games I still want to play on it. So I'm not in a hurry for the next PlayStation if only so prices drop on PS3 games so I can buy more. If I like what I hear and Sony actually lays down the gauntlet and stops dicking around with motion controls and all that bullsh*t, I might consider getting a PS4 at launch. My price point would be in the $400 range and not a penny more. So if they release two SKUs again I'd naturally get the better valued/featured SKU, but only if it comes in around $400. I'm not interested in anything more expensive than that.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
Don't really have a price cutoff but I'll need to see something to interest me enough to make the purchase either in console features or upcoming games.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Max $300.
DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaRq_MiNoS

$0

pewpews

set pieces

linearity

QTEs

casualized / watered down / accessibility to cater to the moronic drooling masses (CoD, FFXIII series, DmC, NG3, Splinter Cell, REsident Evil)

soundcellx
U I totally agree about every game you mentioned. But there's also about a dozen other series of games that are awesome IMO: Red Dead, Dead Space, Uncharted, God of War, Portal, Elder Scrolls, Far Cry, Fallout, Dark Souls, Wolfenstein/Singularity (same game basically), Tomb Raider and more. Don't be negative man. I've been around since Pong in the 70's. I'm 40 years old and have been playing video games my whole life. We are truly in the golden age right now. There are so many great series out there right now. I really do feel sad about Resident Evil though, because that was my favorite series until RE6... I thought that game was just awful. On a positive note though, in the past few months we've had Ni no Kuni and Far Cry 3, which I feel were among the best games of this gen.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 soundcellx

I totally agree about every game you mentioned. But there's also about a dozen other series of games that are awesome IMO: Red Dead, Dead Space, Uncharted, God of War, Portal, Elder Scrolls, Far Cry, Fallout, Dark Souls, Wolfenstein/Singularity (same game basically), Tomb Raider and more. Don't be negative man. I've been around since Pong in the 70's. I'm 40 years old and have been playing video games my whole life. We are truly in the golden age right now. There are so many great series out there right now. I really do feel sad about Resident Evil though, because that was my favorite series until RE6... I thought that game was just awful. On a positive note though, in the past few months we've had Ni no Kuni and Far Cry 3, which I feel were among the best games of this gen.DaRq_MiNoS

Well, I have been gaming since 1988. 

Sure, there are a few exceptions, like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls which are both the two best video games in the last 8+ years. 

Tomb Raider is being destroyed by this new reboot which looks absolutely nothing like TR or Lara Croft.

If you want a great new Resident Evil, then do yourself a favor and buy Revelations, but used of course, so you don't support Crapscum.

Ninokuni does look fantastic. I can't afford it right now tho. It's too bad it doesn't have traditional turn based combat though, I really miss FF7-FF10, Xenogears, etc. style combat.

Red Dead - meh

Uncharted - linear, set piecey, casual, it is trying to be a movie but it is a game

Dead Space is ruined with 3

God of War is linear, super easy puzzles designed for kindergartners, horrible story, Kratos is most douchey character in VG history and no character development and only angry personality. also, he kills everyone regardless of innocent or not

Most of all though, I miss turn based JRPGs on home consoles. I seriously freaking miss Final Fantasy. I would have never guessed that the series would be ruined and that Final Fantasy would be rolling in its grave.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I spent 700$ on lunch day for my 60GB PS3 model, however that was when I wasn't a father and husband. This time around, money allocation takes priority, anything past 349-399$ for me is going to be too much. 

I picked up Wii U last week for 170$ Deluxe edition after trading in my Wii and few excellent games with it. I'm expecting to do the same with my PS3 when PS4 is announced.

If the price tag is over 400$ however, I'm going to have to pass on it until it's more affordable.

xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

considering my budget id go as high as probably 400 but thats only if they showed something impressive enough that made me want to get it at launch. most likely though ill just wait 2 to 3 years, maybe even a little more before i actually perchase one, to let them iron out all the problems theyll have at first.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

$0

pewpews

set pieces

linearity

QTEs

soundcellx

Go Away.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

$400 at laucnh. Also really cheap gamers on here. No wonder Sony is/was having problems pushing systems compared to M$ and Nintendo when core fans won't spend more than $300...

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Bigboi500
this. I'll wait for it to be at the most at $400 and it better be a good model too. Not $400 for an arcade type (12gb) model.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

$0

pewpews

set pieces

linearity

QTEs

StrongBlackVine

Go Away.

No, make me. You go away, you troll.  

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

The PS4 is a day one purchase for me, regardless of price.

With a PlayStation console, I know I'll be getting my money's worth, so I have no problem paying whatever the asking price is.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kravyn81

I picked up Wii U last week for 170$ Deluxe edition after trading in my Wii and few excellent games with it.

Sokol4ever
Is the Wii U backwards compatible? Of everything I read about it, I can't remember ever hearing if it was or not.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Don't really have a price threshold. If there are enough games for it at launch that interest me I'll pick it up regardless of price. This goes for both the next PlayStation and the next Xbox. $400 or less is the sweet spot but if it does end up costing more, as long as the games are good enough for it I'll still get one. I've had the same thinking for all next gen consoles. I waited on the 3DS and Vita until there were more games and I'm still waiting on more games for the Wii U.
yourmate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 yourmate
Member since 2010 • 165 Posts

You guys in the US have nothing to complain about. When the ps3 launched in Australia back in 2007, the 60gb model went for $999.

Given the general price drop in gaming hardware and software over the last few years (in AUS), I suspect the ps4 will launch here at around the $600 mark, which is probably the highest I would be willing to pay.

RollinKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RollinKaos
Member since 2013 • 83 Posts
I will most likely do like I did with the PS3 , wait until it had been out for awhile and the price dropped. Even then I waited until a game came out that I just had to have GOW3, before buying it.
MercenaryMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MercenaryMafia
Member since 2011 • 2917 Posts
$399.99
Ada-Wong-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ada-Wong-Fan
Member since 2012 • 69 Posts

Price; 349.99-449.99 (I Liking Get More Pricey One)

I Only Get PS4 If We Get Uncharted 4 at Launch Otherwise I Wait Till 4 5 Months After Launch

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

[QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

I picked up Wii U last week for 170$ Deluxe edition after trading in my Wii and few excellent games with it.

Kravyn81

Is the Wii U backwards compatible? Of everything I read about it, I can't remember ever hearing if it was or not.

It is definitely, I had no issues using any of the Wii peripherals or Wii games on Wii U. Nintendo also confirmed on their website, Wii U will support lots of older generation games as well.

http://wiiudaily.com/wii-u-backwards-compatibility/

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Totally depends on the games.  If I'm excited about the new stuff coming out, obviously I'll spend more and spend it sooner.  If it's like 2012 and the gaming industry isn't putting out anything but sequels and shooters and sequels turned into shooters, I'll be working my way through my PS3 backlog for a long time to come.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
400$, if it has backwards compatibility. If not, I'll wait a couple of years until it's 300$.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soundcellx

So, you guys didn't learn from the PS3 launch? How many years was it until the PS3 had games? 

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
$300 with a bundled game is my usual motto and that tends to happen about 2 years after launch. However, if PS+ keeps up and half a month into the PS4's life they are giving away multiple PS4 games just like how they're giving away multiple PS3 games a month now... maybe I'd be willing to buy one early because I'm getting so many games a month for no additional cost that it's almost like a bundle, except the type of bundle that means I never have to pay for games again.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

$0

pewpews

set pieces

linearity

QTEs

soundcellx

Do you ever post anything positive? While these are problems in modern games, that doesn't mean every game is absolute garbage. 

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 soundcellx

Do you ever post anything positive? While these are problems in modern games, that doesn't mean every game is absolute garbage. 

Vari3ty

What HUGE news is there to be positive about to make a topic on? And NOT every game, but most modern games. There's still a few exceptions. Too bad they are the exceptions though and not the rule.

I will post a few positive things right now:

The Tales series is phenomenal, and thankfully unlike the Final Fantasy series, the Tales series has stayed true to its roots.

Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are the two bestest games within the last 6+ years. They're incredible. Tales of Xillia and Xillia 2 look fantastic as well. 
I cannot wait for the Wind Waker HD remake. 

How is that to start off with on positivity? 

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kravyn81

soundcellx
Try making it a habit. Jesus, I know I'm a dick to certain people on here but it's usually 'cause they deserve it in some form or fashion (like asking stupid questions like "Duuuur! How do you turn on the PS3???"). You're just coming off as annoying because in every thread all you do is bash sh*t. Nobody wants to hear that. If you don't like something, that's fine, but stop bringing every thread down. That's obnoxious.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Unless the launcg window games just absolutely blow my mind, I'm going to wait awhile for the PS4. The most I'll pay is probably 350.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

Kravyn81

Try making it a habit. Jesus, I know I'm a dick to certain people on here but it's usually 'cause they deserve it in some form or fashion (like asking stupid questions like "Duuuur! How do you turn on the PS3???"). You're just coming off as annoying because in every thread all you do is bash. Nobody wants to hear that. If you don't like something, that's fine, but stop bringing every thread down. That's obnoxious.

You're forgetting a few things though. 

If people are happy that they ruined my favorite video game series (Final Fantasy with XIII, Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, a horrible Zelda game (Skyward Sword)) and are happy that other video game series are ruined for fans of DMC, then those people are indeed trolls who deserve insults.

I'm sick of current gen modern trends and I am sick of video game franchises being changed for the worse. If you ruin what I love, of course you bet I'm going to bash you, including bashing the inferior product that is to blame for ruining the thing I love. 

STOP RUINING MY FAVORITE VIDEO GAME FRANCHISES!!!!!!! STAHP!

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Nobody wants to hear that. If you don't like something, that's fine, but stop bringing every thread down. That's obnoxious.Kravyn81
Get that logic out of here, bro.
ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

I'm going to predict a $400 but there will be a nicer model and I will probably buy that.