What's your favourite genre in gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -

Over the course of many years as a gamer I realized certain gaming genres don't appeal to me anymore then when I was younger. This days, good RPG and Action Adventure (mostly third person games) seem to be my preference over the FPS, Sports and Racing.

#2 Posted by jcopp72 (5335 posts) -
I like open world games like Grand Theft Auto, Mafia, Assassins Creed, . Sandbox style games.
#3 Posted by ristactionjakso (5664 posts) -

I used to be a die hard rpg fan back in the ps1 ps2 era.

Now im more of a adventure fan. It doesn't matter what sub genre is it. I like RAGE, Far Cry 3, Darksiders, War in the North, Sleeping Dogs ect. As long as there is a adventure to be had, I like it. RPG's offer adventures but they are kind of dumb this gen.

I still would be playing the rpg genre, but they are way to far and few between. I'm gonna get Ni No Kuni just for the nostalgia I'll get from it.

#4 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -

I used to be a die hard rpg fan back in the ps1 ps2 era.

Now im more of a adventure fan. It doesn't matter what sub genre is it. I like RAGE, Far Cry 3, Darksiders, War in the North, Sleeping Dogs ect. As long as there is a adventure to be had, I like it. RPG's offer adventures but they are kind of dumb this gen.

I still would be playing the rpg genre, but they are way to far and few between. I'm gonna get Ni No Kuni just for the nostalgia I'll get from it.

ristactionjakso

Good point, adventure seems much more appealing to me as well. Mostly because of the time restraint with work family, etc. I had been spending some time with God of War: Ascension multiplayer beta and to be honest, it's very fun. I spend around half hour-40 minutes on 2-3 matches and I walk away satisfied.

#5 Posted by volume_three (2142 posts) -

Over the course of many years as a gamer I realized certain gaming genres don't appeal to me anymore then when I was younger. This days, good RPG and Action Adventure (mostly third person games) seem to be my preference over the FPS, Sports and Racing.

Sokol4ever

This. Precisely.

#6 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Third-person shooters like Uncharted, Max Payne 3, Mass Effect, InFamous, Resident Evil and Dead Space. I also like action/adventure games with RPG-like upgrade elements like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I am hoping Tomb Raider and Dead Space 3 fill that void for me soon.

Also I really don't like FPS, but I will tolerate it occasionally in games like the Bioshock and Borderlands series.

#7 Posted by finalserenade75 (2162 posts) -

Platformers

#8 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
1. SHMUPs of any sort (ex. Radiant Silvergun, Galaga, Yars' Revenge, Gradius, Blazing Lasers, Bangai-O, Metal Slug, Contra, DoDonPachi, Sin and Punishment, REZ, Tempest, Raiden, Geometry Wars, Mars Matrix, Lords of Thunder, Sinistar, Defender, GORF, Panzer Dragoon, Star Fox, Gunstar Heroes, R-Type, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Gunbird) 1a. Fighting games (ex. Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Dead or Alive, The King of Fighters, Street Fighter II, III, and Alpha series, Waku Waku 7, Fatal Fury series, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Last Blade, Art of Fighting, Capcom vs SNK and SNK vs Capcom, Samurai Shodown, Super Smash Bros series, DBZ Budokai 1-3, World Heroes, Soul Edge and SoulCalibur 1-2, etc)
#9 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

JRPGs, Action games, Platformers, and Puzzlers.

#10 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -
  1. RPG
  2. Hack and Slash/Action adventure
  3. FPS
#11 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1326 posts) -
I will play anything good, regardless of genre
#12 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -
RPGs by far and out of those, I like JRPGs the best. I also like FPSs, so games like Borderlands, Fallout, and Deus Ex that mix both together really interest me.
#13 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Hmm....hard to say really. I really like RPG's and Open-World games, but I enjoy pretty much anything, one of my favorite game this gen is Uncharted which is Action-Adventure.

#14 Posted by SoNin360 (5268 posts) -
I seem to consistently enjoy open world games the most regardless of if they're a FPS, RPG, or even a Racing game.
#15 Posted by MaddenMad92 (9 posts) -
Sports games, Madden, 2k, wrestling games, MLB, these are the only games that seem to be worth 60 bucks to me, besides battlefield and GTA.
#16 Posted by Nophoria88 (410 posts) -
Hard choice between action adventure (such as Darksiders II) and rpg, but nothing beats an amazing rpg. Ni No Kuni coming up looks to be one of this gens finest too, not that we've had many standouts, but nonetheless it looks amazing.
#17 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

RPGs are probably my favorite, although open=world action games are pretty close on the list. I enjoy shooters too. Really anything so long as the game itself is good.

#18 Posted by sukraj (21797 posts) -

I like FPS.

#19 Posted by bezza2011 (2302 posts) -

I've put other even tho at the moment I enjoy action adventure third person games at the minute and just got through hitman and still have to play mass effect but my true gaming passion is adveture games like broken sword, monkey island, beneath a steel sky, grim fandango, im dreaming of a day these types of games come back around I mean seriously does every game with a story have to have guns and violence in them, I dont mind the guns and violence there enjoyable but come some true creative writing and funny stories and worlds wouldn't go a miss. Here's for hoping the new broken sword is going to be awesome.

#20 Posted by Megavideogamer (5274 posts) -

My favorite Genre is "Shoot them up" but they really don't make them anymore. So action adventure in Modern times.

#21 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

A good Mix out of everything.

#22 Posted by DiamondSlicer (206 posts) -

I love rpg games. If combined with open world it's even better. I like action/adventure a lot, too.

#23 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -

I love rpg games. If combined with open world it's even better. I like action/adventure a lot, too.

DiamondSlicer

While I was use to linearRPG's back in the day I have to admit, Skyrim was a great game with open environment.

#24 Posted by -Vulpix- (2375 posts) -

I play just about any type though my favorites are Action-Adventure & Platformers, Then RPGs & FPS.

#25 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
RPGs and shooters :)
#26 Posted by SweetPhantasm (43 posts) -
I enjoy fighting games, and adventure. However, I've been getting way more into first person shooter games in the past few months.
#27 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8690 posts) -

Well my favourite game franchise falls under a strange category: RTS/Action adventure

Overall, however, I enjoy

-Platformers

-Action Adventures

-Hack n Slash

#28 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

I tend to enjoy action-adventure and platformers the most.

#29 Posted by kittensRjerks (3802 posts) -

Platformers

#30 Posted by unrealtron (3148 posts) -
Sandbox are my favorites.
#31 Posted by CTR360 (6923 posts) -
FPS WRPGS and JRPG my favorites
#32 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

Been playing a lot of RPG's lately. Reasons being that

A) everything's a sequel these days, and since I haven't played many RPG's in the past, at least these games are still new to me.

B) I love action/adventure but most of those games have been bastardized into some Call of Duty wannabe and the addition of multiplayer - and all the time and effort that doesn't go into the single player campaign because of it - has pretty much ruined them.

I also enjoy driving sim's, but of course we only got one Gran Turismo game this gen and that was over two years ago, and EA seems to have cancelled the Need For Speed: Shift games so I'm s*** outta luck.

#33 Posted by Texas2089 (16428 posts) -
RPGs. I enjoy both JRPGs and WRPGs, but I tend to favor JRPGs a bit more.
#34 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Action-Adventure and RPGs.

#35 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -

Been playing a lot of RPG's lately. Reasons being that

A) everything's a sequel these days, and since I haven't played many RPG's in the past, at least these games are still new to me.

B) I love action/adventure but most of those games have been bastardized into some Call of Duty wannabe and the addition of multiplayer - and all the time and effort that doesn't go into the single player campaign because of it - has pretty much ruined them.

I also enjoy driving sim's, but of course we only got one Gran Turismo game this gen and that was over two years ago, and EA seems to have cancelled the Need For Speed: Shift games so I'm s*** outta luck.

Jackc8

I would love to see another GT release on PS3 but I strongly believe Polyphony Digital is working on it for the next PlayStation. I gave up on Need for Speed series after Hot Pursuit 2 which was all the way back in 2002.

#36 Posted by arcangelgold (96 posts) -
Horror but there hasn't been any since ps2.
#37 Posted by isletas (9876 posts) -

First Person Shooters / Racing.

#38 Posted by Azzurri22 (167 posts) -

Action-Adventures, Role Playing Games and First Person Shooters rule the roost for me.

#39 Posted by ps3hdalltime (52 posts) -
I will have to go with action aadventure genre like games GoW, Uncharted, Heavy rain etc.
#40 Posted by Mar_Sama (87 posts) -

I'm an RPG type BUT! i cant really play one RPG after another. They take a lot of time i don;t really have so between them i play Platformers, Racing games and Action games like GTA. Of course they all take time but there is not so much story and lore like in a good RPG game. I also like to go with Survival Horror games if they are done right.

#41 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -

That would be JRPGs.

#42 Posted by Shinobi-Neo (249 posts) -

I have been playing JRPGs often, action adventure rocks too, stealth action is probably most interesting though.

#43 Posted by Fezzinator101 (219 posts) -

Platformers.

#44 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

RPGs (more specifically JRPGs and SRPGs)

Action/adventure (thought that's a very broad genre)

Open-world

#45 Posted by Noteldnep (20165 posts) -
I like to play racing games most out of any genre, but platformers can make for good games as well.
#46 Posted by Alex_Kroket (11 posts) -
Like someone mentioned before, a good mix of everything. I was a sucker for JRPGs in PS1/PS2 era, now i mostly love games like the Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Uncharted, Gran Turismo which is good for relaxing & so on.
#47 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69555 posts) -
rpg and sport/racing. Those are the ones i put most hours in
#48 Posted by sagejonathan (864 posts) -
Action adventure with RPG elements.
#49 Posted by clr84651 (5338 posts) -

I have a 3 way tie. Action Adventure, RPG, and Hack n slash(God of War, Darksiders etc.). Then First person & 3rd person shooters and survival Horror tie for 2nd.

#50 Posted by clr84651 (5338 posts) -

I have a 3 way tie. Action Adventure, RPG, and Hack n slash(God of War, Darksiders etc.). Then First person & 3rd person shooters and survival Horror tie for 2nd.

clr84651

Racing & Fighting games I have absolutely no interest in playing.