What Hard Drive for PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 GTA_MGS_1
Member since 2008 • 524 Posts

Hey guys I'm thinking of getting a PS4, but 500GB won't be enough so I was going to get a 1TB drive, I was looking through tests and while SSD's are to expensive, I considered getting a Hybrid Drive for quicker speed, apparently they cause hick ups during games when they reload the cache.

ALso 7200rpm drives don't seem to be any faster from tests, some say their quicker while others show their slower than stock HDD's?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

My PS4 hasn´t experienced any hick-ups, I changed the HDD in mine for a 1TB and now that I come and think about it in more detail, should have spent a little bit more for a 2 TB instead. 1 TB now doesn´t look that large, 50 GB TLoU, 45 GB Killzone, = 95 GB in an eyeblink deduct that from 500 GB ( in theory ) you only have about 450 ( real ) so 50+50+45 = 145 GB, that leaves you with 355 GB left, 55 for updates n´stuff, 300 = 6-8 games.

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps4-hard-drive-upgrade-guide

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

Hey guys I'm thinking of getting a PS4, but 500GB won't be enough so I was going to get a 1TB drive, I was looking through tests and while SSD's are to expensive, I considered getting a Hybrid Drive for quicker speed, apparently they cause hick ups during games when they reload the cache.

ALso 7200rpm drives don't seem to be any faster from tests, some say their quicker while others show their slower than stock HDD's?

I've read a couple articles saying hybrids are slower.

Any stantard HDD you get, you will not see much of a difference. A sdd you will see some difference, but is it really worth it?

I'd go with a 7200rpm 2tb drive, The key here is space anyway. You are not gonna see that much of loading improvements with any upgrade.