booges192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 booges192
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts

My PS3 just started acting up right now. It worked this morning. Now I turn it on, makes a beeping noise with a green light like it normally does, but then 2-3 seconds later the system sounds like it shuts off n I get this blinking red light. N it keeps doing this even when I shut the power from the back. Does this mean my PS3 died? I have the MSG4 80g bundle. Thx.

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts

This website would probably help you a lot.

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts

My PS3 just started acting up right now. It worked this morning. Now I turn it on, makes a beeping noise with a green light like it normally does, but then 2-3 seconds later the system sounds like it shuts off n I get this blinking red light. N it keeps doing this even when I shut the power from the back. Does this mean my PS3 died? I have the MSG4 80g bundle. Thx.

booges192
Watch it very carefully when you turn it on. Is there a series of three beeps, and then a flash of a yellow light before the blinking red? If so, you have the ylod. No big surprise, given that it's an older 80gig. The old models are dropping like flies. If it's only the blinking red light, it means a general problem with overheating. turn the console off from the back, unplug it, clean all the vents with a vacuum, then try it again. Might work, might not.
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Adding more to what the above poster said,it could also be that the console is not getting enough power(electricity)

Ryan_Som

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ryan_Som
Member since 2009 • 2474 Posts

Yeah...your console's dying and/or soon to be dead. Sorry dude. Same thing happened to me last night, no joke (80GB BC MGS4 bundle model). Luckily, I got it from Best Buy and paid the extra $50 for the Product Replacement Plan. I have just under a month left on my 2 years extra. Woohoo! Going to trade it in for a Slim this weekend.

AgentZero225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AgentZero225
Member since 2007 • 1718 Posts

Calling Sony is your best option. Doing anything else might void your warrenty or they might not fix it if your messed around with it outside of Sonys policy.

MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

when it blinks red its over heating

lordfalsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lordfalsus
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

yea you need a slim fashooo

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 doomkiller97
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
i unplugged behind my 60 gig ps3 vacumed the vents plugged it back in and it still shut off and flashing red rebuilded the hard disk, restore the file system and none of those things worked i had it for a year what else should i do
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Sounds like yet another incoming YLOD to add to the many dead fat ps3s.

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 doomkiller97
if there is anyone out there can u tell me what 2 do and my ps3 is also a slim i got it off of ebay and the person i got it from has opened it before thanks and i think the graphic chip in the ps3 went because i see pixels while i'm playing assassin's creed brotherhood but it takes a long time 2 shut off when i play assassin's creed but when i play MW2 it takes like 5-10 minutes for it 2 shut off
doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 doomkiller97
can u tell me how 2 fix the red light of death problem thanks
urdead18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 urdead18
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts

can u tell me how 2 fix the red light of death problem thanksdoomkiller97

I got YLOD on my old fat 80GB BC model and this is how I fixed it:

1.) Put it in a box with the vents facing out.

2.) Take a hair dryer and turn it as hot as it goes.

3.) Move hair dryer along the back vents for 5 minutes at a time, taking 1 minute breaks between applications. Don't keep the hair dryer in the same spot, have it constantly moving in a constant motion. Do this 3 times for a total of 18 minutes including breaks.

4.) Let it cool for 30-45 minutes, turned it on and got my Demon's Souls game save, I was so happy :).

I've seen PS3s work for 3 months+ after YLOD with this method.

Avatar image for doolindesperado
doolindesperado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 doolindesperado
Member since 2004 • 296 Posts

that's some pretty creative thinking

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RoOodriGowW
Member since 2008 • 3309 Posts

[QUOTE="doomkiller97"]can u tell me how 2 fix the red light of death problem thanksurdead18

3.) Move hair dryer along the back vents for 5 minutes at a time, taking 1 minute breaks between applications. Don't keep the hair dryer in the same spot, have it constantly moving in a constant motion. Do this 3 times for a total of 18 minutes including breaks.

4.) Let it cool for 30-45 minutes, turned it on and got my Demon's Souls game save, I was so happy :).

I can confirm this works , although I only did it to retrieve the data via transfer data utility , I wouldn't recommend relying on this , as it's sure to break on you again.

RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RoOodriGowW
^ Unfortunately I dont know cause I don't have a wii but if you need anything related with the ps3 or the 360 I can help you.
doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 doomkiller97
RoOodriGowW i vaccumed the vents of my 60 gig ps3,rebuilded the hard disk, restored the file system and when i was going to rebuild the hard disk it said the hard disk was corrupted and needed to be restored so like i said i restored the file system and both of those thing did not work can you give me other options thanks
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RoOodriGowW

RoOodriGowW i vaccumed the vents of my 60 gig ps3,rebuilded the hard disk, restored the file system and when i was going to rebuild the hard disk it said the hard disk was corrupted and needed to be restored so like i said i restored the file system and both of those thing did not work can you give me other options thanksdoomkiller97
What do you mean by rebuilding the hard disk?I vacuumed my ps3 and it was working normally afterwards , what I did was buying another ps3 and then I used the feature 'transfer data utility' where you connect 2 ps3s via ethernet cable and transfer all the data from the old ps3 to the new one , it should also be said that if you wish to transfer anything downloaded from psn you should first deactivate your account in the old ps3 and activate it again in the new one , after it receives the data.

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 doomkiller97
what i meant for rebuilding the hard disk is i held down the power button for 5-t0 seconds switch it off from the back once on standby mode (power button is solid red) then hold the power button down until you hear 2 beeps
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RoOodriGowW

what i meant for rebuilding the hard disk is i held down the power button for 5-t0 seconds switch it off from the back once on standby mode (power button is solid red) then hold the power button down until you hear 2 beepsdoomkiller97
So you vacuumed , then tried to rebuild the database but it wouldn't work , it told you to restore the system , you restored and even so it said that the data is corrupted?Also , if you care about your data you shouldn't restore the system , unless you have a backup , cause otherwise it'll delete everything.Rebuilding database on the other hand only deletes messages and info about ppl you met online , so it should smooth your psw after you do it.I'm just teeling you this because i'm trying to understnd why you did those things , it didn't bring you to the XMB after you vacuumed?

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 doomkiller97
what's XMB
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RoOodriGowW

Cross media bar , the main menu of the ps3 , after you vacuumed and waited for the ps3 to cool and turned on your ps3 did it bring you to the main menu or to another screen?

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 doomkiller97
yes it did
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RoOodriGowW

k , so after you vacuumed it worked , why did you rebuild the database , to smooth the system maybe? even so that shouldn't corrupt your hdd , now an interrupted system restoration could do that , that's what happened?

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Your PS3 wasn't getting enough ventilation. Either you didn't keep the vents dust free, or you put it somewhere that seemed like it was enough ventilation but wasn't.

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 doomkiller97
yeah i put it in my entertainment center a year ago
doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 doomkiller97
after i vacuumed it and i tried it after i let it cool off and it still did the blinking red light and also when i play assassin's creed brotherhood or any other assassin's creed for the ps3 it takes a while to turn itself off but when i play modern warfare 2 it turns itself off after like 15-20 minutes and i thought it would work to rebuild the database i think it's the hdd that is not responding
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RoOodriGowW
after i vacuumed it and i tried it after i let it cool off and it still did the blinking red light and also when i play assassin's creed brotherhood or any other assassin's creed for the ps3 it takes a while to turn itself off but when i play modern warfare 2 it turns itself off after like 15-20 minutes and i thought it would work to rebuild the database i think it's the hdd that is not respondingdoomkiller97
Oh now I get , unfortunately rebuilding the database would only help to prevent an error as big as theese blinking lights , it can fix ps3s that freeze oftenly for example but anyways , the hair dryer method is only a temporary solution , I did it to make the ps3 last long enough to transfer the data to a new one , theres no permanent fix.
doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 doomkiller97
i played assassin's creed brotherhood for like hours and it didn't turn off but modern warfare 2 it turns off in like 15-20 minutes why is it doing that
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts

[QUOTE="urdead18"]

[QUOTE="doomkiller97"]can u tell me how 2 fix the red light of death problem thanksRoOodriGowW

I can confirm this works , although I only did it to retrieve the data via transfer data utility , I wouldn't recommend relying on this , as it's sure to break on you again.

This works? I'm not doubting you guys it just seems odd. How does it work exactly? I'd think that since it overheated, that making it hotter wouldn't help.
doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 doomkiller97
when i play assassin's creed it takes a while to turn off but when i play MW2 15-20 minutes later turns off
moondoggey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 moondoggey
Member since 2007 • 549 Posts
same thing happend to me today i just went out and got a new one ............
doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 doomkiller97
i don't have a wii and what gig was the new one that you just bought

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

[QUOTE="RoOodriGowW"]

[QUOTE="urdead18"]

Chaos_Bladez

This works? I'm not doubting you guys it just seems odd. How does it work exactly? I'd think that since it overheated, that making it hotter wouldn't help.

The common cause of the YLOD is not because of the heat alone. It's the hot and the cold over a long period of time which makes the solder crack up which then disconnects the CPU/GPU whatever from the motherboard. Using a hairdryer or heatgun basically melts the solder on the motherboard so it reseats itself. Or something like that. :P It wont stay fixed forever though.

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 doomkiller97
is there a solution to fix the RLOD
doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 doomkiller97
the graphic chip in my ps3 went what do i do

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

If your graphics chip went dead then theres nothing much you can do other than get it fixed by Sony/third party or get a new PS3.

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 doomkiller97
it didn't go dead it still works but i just see pixels in my games
OfficerLeach_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 OfficerLeach_
Member since 2010 • 419 Posts

I HAD the same model...it went out the same way NOV 2010 R.I.P

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 doomkiller97
mine is a 60 gig
RoOodriGowW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RoOodriGowW

[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"][QUOTE="RoOodriGowW"]I can confirm this works , although I only did it to retrieve the data via transfer data utility , I wouldn't recommend relying on this , as it's sure to break on you again.

Crossel777

The common cause of the YLOD is not because of the heat alone. It's the hot and the cold over a long period of time which makes the solder crack up which then disconnects the CPU/GPU whatever from the motherboard. Using a hairdryer or heatgun basically melts the solder on the motherboard so it reseats itself. Or something like that. :P It wont stay fixed forever though.

That's what I heard too. i myself am very fond of that theory that the same thing that breaks also fix , like thunders to the head in movies , hitting your broken things until they work , so if heat is what caused the death , it's what will bring life too.Obviously I'm joking , but yeah the story about melting the solder back into place is what the whole thing seems to be about.

doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 doomkiller97
go on youtube and type in nintendofangirl and check out her videos she is fricken hot
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

[QUOTE="Chaos_Bladez"] This works? I'm not doubting you guys it just seems odd. How does it work exactly? I'd think that since it overheated, that making it hotter wouldn't help.RoOodriGowW

That's what I heard too. i myself am very fond of that theory that the same thing that breaks also fix , like thunders to the head in movies , hitting your broken things until they work , so if heat is what caused the death , it's what will bring life too.Obviously I'm joking , but yeah the story about melting the solder back into place is what the whole thing seems to be about.

That's crazy but at least it makes sense now. :)
doomkiller97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 doomkiller97
can you tell me how to fix the rlod problem