What do you think the chances of most unreleased Vita titles being Vaporware?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

groverslanding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 groverslanding
Member since 2012 • 952 Posts

I am looking to pick up a Vita but I think I'll wait until E3 because I'm afraid all of those tentative TBA unreleased Vita titles will be pulled by publishers due to the poor Vita hardware and software sales and become vaporware.

Should I just go ahead and make my purchase now or am I being paranoid?

Things seem disturbingly quiet.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#2 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
Sony tends to be annoyingly quiet about upcoming games until trade shows. This is normal. All I can say is that I love my Vita, and waiting to buy one won't encourage publishers for those TBA releases.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
Seeing as Bioshock is just a logo, I doubt Levine would make a spin off at the same time as Infinite, he seems to be a bit of a control freak unless they handed it off to another studio. Also, Call of Duty is assumed to be coming out on the Vita but honestly N-Space usually makes handheld COD's and they stated they aren't making one this year for the 3DS so I doubt they're making one for the Vita. The DS will get it probably, but Call of Duty will probably just get a new Zombies game on iOS instead of Vita. Other than those two I'd say everything is looking fine, I don't think much will become vaporware but with the user base being as small as it is with no massive growth in sight it does increase the odds of ports and multiplatform releases. You should make sure you want a Vita for Sony's first party IPs and let anything else be extra icing on the cake.
piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
very high IMO
danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts

I am looking to pick up a Vita but I think I'll wait until E3 because I'm afraid all of those tentative TBA unreleased Vita titles will be pulled by publishers due to the poor Vita hardware and software sales and become vaporware.

Should I just go ahead and make my purchase now or am I being paranoid?

Things seem disturbingly quiet.

groverslanding
If you can wait I'd do that, but tbh I don't think Sony will let us down. E3 will give us the answer though and it's only two months away.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I want to say it won't happen, but then again, I can't shake the memories of Oblivion and Resident Evil being announced for PSP but never coming out. BioShock Vita sounds like a repeat of those situations. I hope Assassin's Creed on Vita doesn't suffer the same fate.Polybren
With Assassin's Creed there is a bit of a history here. Originally they were doing an exclusive title for 3DS, but then the system didn't take off out of the gate and they ended up folding the 3DS game content into Revelations. Not that I think it would be any loss at all for an AC game to be canceled.
Schiltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Schiltron
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I think it's a serious worry. The PSP had a serious problem with titles being announced and quietly being cancelled a few years later.

One would hope Sony has learned from this, but there's no guarantee of that. Corporations are dumb animals.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
very high IMOpiranha_inc
I'd agree. At least with the ones from western developers. For whatever reason handheld support has never been particularly strong from them. From Japanese developers though I'd imagine most of those games will go on right on schedule.
wakefulness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 wakefulness
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts

I want to say it won't happen, but then again, I can't shake the memories of Oblivion and Resident Evil being announced for PSP but never coming out. BioShock Vita sounds like a repeat of those situations. I hope Assassin's Creed on Vita doesn't suffer the same fate.Polybren

I would say Assasins Creed for VITA is more likely to get canned than Bioshock. Just looking at what Ubisoft has on its plate, the fact it needs to be on Wii U and all these other platforms. Irrational Games just needs to get BI out for PS3 and X360 and that is it. After that, they are clear to handle VITA stuff on their own or even make the right decision to ship the project to a trust able third dev crew.

P.s. @groverslanding,you have made at least one other similar thread (in SW) and posted in several similar threads. You may not be paranoid (you thoughts on these things can be seen as rational behavior) but, c'mon dude. You are all the place! xD

edit: mispelled crap

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#12 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
Oblivion was a lazy outsource, if the mobile versions of that series are anything to go by. Resident Evil, I can't be sure, but the Vita's Bioshock is different because Ken Levine actually wants to be involved in development. It's not really in development yet, but that's only because Ken Levine wants to devote all attention to it.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
I like Sony's approach to E3 each year. Even if something gets leaked prior to E3, they always come back with a surprise. We'll see what they have to offer soon enough.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 famicommander
[QUOTE="Polybren"]I want to say it won't happen, but then again, I can't shake the memories of Oblivion and Resident Evil being announced for PSP but never coming out. BioShock Vita sounds like a repeat of those situations. I hope Assassin's Creed on Vita doesn't suffer the same fate.Granpire
Oblivion was a lazy outsource, if the mobile versions of that series are anything to go by. Resident Evil, I can't be sure, but the Vita's Bioshock is different because Ken Levine actually wants to be involved in development. It's not really in development yet, but that's only because Ken Levine wants to devote all attention to it.

By the time Infinite releases and they're done with post-release support (patches, DLC, inevitable Game of the Year Edition) it'll be mid 2013. If the Vita hasn't recovered by that point in time you can pretty much guarantee Bioshock Vita will be vaporware, because nobody will want to make games for it at that point.
bluefunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bluefunky
Member since 2010 • 2294 Posts
IMO I think the Vita is here to stay. A lot of people said the PSP would amount to nothing but I have a PSP with about 40 games for it and they're all massive games!
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 famicommander
IMO I think the Vita is here to stay. A lot of people said the PSP would amount to nothing but I have a PSP with about 40 games for it and they're all massive games!bluefunky
Vita's situation is many orders of magnitude worse than that of the PSP, PS3, or even 3DS. People pointing to those systems expecting Vita to recover are kidding themselves and only show that they do not understand why the Vita is struggling, why those other systems struggled, to what degree they struggled, or why and how they were able to turn it around.
inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

LOL phonemug I have you now!

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
IMO I think the Vita is here to stay. A lot of people said the PSP would amount to nothing but I have a PSP with about 40 games for it and they're all massive games!bluefunky
Even though the PSP sold massive amounts (even today), there are still many people who look down on the success. That notion of thought will never leave the minds of nay-sayers regardless of the argument. 6 years later the PSP is still showing record sales. The Vita will follow the same Judgement. You can announce the next Call of Duty, Metal Gear Solid, or Grand Theft Auto, but in the end people just seem to be too obsessed about the numbers.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#19 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

Go back to system wars you idiot.

danish-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 danish-death
Member since 2004 • 5314 Posts
I don't see the need for all thede d00m threads. Let's wait til at least after E3.