What are your thoughts on HD remixes? Worth the cash?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I understand that some get reworked quite a bit. I just hooked up my old PS2 to my 60" HDTV expecting it to look like utter crap, although, to my surprise, it didn't look absolutely horrible. It was in 4:3 and hooked up with component cables.

While, sure I would love to have a game with somewhat crisper graphics and filling up the screen, but I was curious to hear from everyone whether it's worth spending $39 + for a game already owned and played by the individual or not.

Never jumped into Metal Gear Solid HD collection, but I still have all the PS2 titles. Same goes for Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy X.

I did cave for Zelda Windwaker, but that seemed to be reworked more than your average HD title.

So does an HD upgrade warrant a second purchase, or is it better to play the game on the shelf again?

Is it just an excuse to relive the title again? Is it worth the cash for that reason to you?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

depends on the specific title.

some are fantastic, some are garbage.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I enjoyed Tomb raider hd collection and Metal gear solid hd collection. Those were with it. But some were crap. I heard silent hill hd collection was horrible.

joshuakyle94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By joshuakyle94
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Metal Gear Sold HD Collection is a must have for any fans of the series. Especially with it coming with trophies. ^-^

I pre-ordered Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix 7 months before it came out, and I enjoyed it. It's not as much fun as it once was, thanks to Birth By Sleep, KH2; but the nostalgia is great, with some added keyblades, scenes, trophies, and monsters. Plus it comes with Chain of Memories which I adore as well.

Any Zelda HD remake I absolutely have to have. I really am waiting for a FF7, & FF9 HD remakes though.

By the way, not sure if you noticed, if you are a Soul Caliber fan, they DID remaster in HD Soul Caliber 2 on the playstation store..

GuitarSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GuitarSmash
Member since 2013 • 274 Posts

Check out these HD Collections: Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, Zone of the Enders, Hitman, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico Dual Pack.

Avoid: Silent Hill , Splinter Cell.

Looking forward to the Final Fantasy X Remaster!! (Even though the remastered soundtrack sounds horrid)

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#6  Edited By benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix was worth the purchase for a HD Collection, looking forward to KH II.5 HD Remix this year

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpiderLuke

@benleslie5: I may just have to check it out. I was on the fence but it sounds like the new content and visual upgrade might make it worth it. It's going for a semi-decent price online too. Thanks for the input!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Really depends on the game, classics deserve them. FFX HD, Dragonball Z Budokai HD, Ico, Shadow of Colussus, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Ratchet & Clank and Jak are all included in this

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

It's like any remastering of anything, movies, music, whatever, if done right, it's great and becomes the definitive version of the game. The MGS HD Collection and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection are examples of how to do it right, increased framerate, better sound quality and everything in high resolution. The Ico and SotC collection even had cool little bonus features about the making of the games and The Last Guradian. The Silent Hill HD Collection is example of what NOT to do.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I very much enjoy a timely update to classic games (HD + trophies are enough for me to cough up at least $20 - sometimes $40 is stretching it). I can even see myself getting behind new content to classic games (albeit you have to pick and choose carefully).

To date, I own KH1.5, SotC+ICO, LoZ:WW, GoW Saga, Halo Anniversary, and I plan on getting FFX/X-2 HD, FFXII HD (assuming it happens), KH2.5, Okami HD, Zone of the Enders HD, MGS Collection, Jak & Daxter Collection, and RE4 at the right price and if the remaster is any good.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SpiderLuke

@Basinboy: See, yeah, price always is the deal breaker for me — especially if I have owned it previously. I got the GOW collection for around $20 I want to say. I probably wouldn't question Kingdom Hearts 1.5 if it were $20. It's at $30 and I have been teeter-tottering on the fence. I'm probably going to give in, though. Knowing me, because I'm a big fan of everything FF offline PS2 and back, I'll probably end up picking up FFX HD as well. I really wish they made that cross buy with the Vita. It's not a perfect world though. haha

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@Basinboy said:

I very much enjoy a timely update to classic games (HD + trophies are enough for me to cough up at least $20 - sometimes $40 is stretching it). I can even see myself getting behind new content to classic games (albeit you have to pick and choose carefully).

To date, I own KH1.5, SotC+ICO, LoZ:WW, GoW Saga, Halo Anniversary, and I plan on getting FFX/X-2 HD, FFXII HD (assuming it happens), KH2.5, Okami HD, Zone of the Enders HD, MGS Collection, Jak & Daxter Collection, and RE4 at the right price and if the remaster is any good.

Okami HD is a steal

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@SpiderLuke said:

@Basinboy: See, yeah, price always is the deal breaker for me — especially if I have owned it previously. I got the GOW collection for around $20 I want to say. I probably wouldn't question Kingdom Hearts 1.5 if it were $20. It's at $30 and I have been teeter-tottering on the fence. I'm probably going to give in, though. Knowing me, because I'm a big fan of everything FF offline PS2 and back, I'll probably end up picking up FFX HD as well. I really wish they made that cross buy with the Vita. It's not a perfect world though. haha

$20 is essentially my fine line. It either has to be a true classic to me in order to justify full price. I bought KH 1.5 during Black Friday for $20 (which is a top notch remaster, FYI), but I will be buying KH 2.5 at full price.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

damn sure worth the cash when done properly.. i just wished they do more classics in HD tbh, like LoZ: A Link to the Past. somebody for the luv of Fvk please tell me why that old school masterpiece hasn't gotten an HD remake but Wind Waker has!!?? -_-

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Sure it is worth revisiting some old Playstation 2 games. When they re-release an HD remake/remix/re-release. The HD collections are worth it. I still have my PS2 games and a PS3 60Gigger. Sony discovered that they can resell people HD remakes. This is a good way to catch up on games you missed. In the case of Kingdom hearts the Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix was not released in North America. So a chance to play it is welcome.

Sony has released about 20 HD collections thus far. At $39.99 or $19.99 a pop it is worth it for revisiting some of the classics.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@shangtsung7 said:

damn sure worth the cash when done properly.. i just wished they do more classics in HD tbh, like LoZ: A Link to the Past. somebody for the luv of Fvk please tell me why that old school masterpiece hasn't gotten an HD remake but Wind Waker has!!?? -_-

yeah, it is worth it when it is done properly

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#18 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

The DMC HD collection was great so yes, it was worth it to me.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Last_Ride

@MarcRecon said:

Never tried those games unfortunately

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MarcRecon

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

Well, it's not like it's to late fella!!! lol :)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

Yeah, that's not going to happen, i got like 80 games in my backlog

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I only get HD remakes if I didn't already have the original.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MarcRecon

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

Goodness, your backlog is worse then mine!!!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Last_Ride

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

Hell yeah it is, almost a year with PS+, and games i bought. It is really bad :P. And with me working all weekend and having college through the week, it doesn't give me a lot of time to play them

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MarcRecon

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

Hell yeah it is, almost a year with PS+, and games i bought. It is really bad :P. And with me working all weekend and having college through the week, it doesn't give me a lot of time to play them

I have a similar schedule, but at least we know where our priorities are! That's 1 of the reasons I didn't want to get playstation plus, because I'm already getting free games with gold from xbl.

Now I'm pretty much buried in games for at least a year or more, but that's a good thing! lol...now I have the luxury of waiting out a price drop for certain big name tittles.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Last_Ride

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

I have a similar schedule, but at least we know where our priorities are! That's 1 of the reasons I didn't want to get playstation plus, because I'm already getting free games with gold from xbl.

Now I'm pretty much buried in games for at least a year or more, but that's a good thing! lol...now I have the luxury of waiting out a price drop for certain big name tittles.

yeah now i have the luxury to wait for games getting cheap while i play a new game or just replay games for trophies or just the experience

Toro_Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 Toro_Nev
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

Have a huge pile of games I need to play already, but I love the fact that you can get to play games you may have missed (especially if you haven't had a PS2). Planning on getting FFX/X-2 HD and Tales of Symphonia!

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

hd remakes its worth it for me

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

I have MGS HD but had it on Vita and beat it all, haven't felt like replaying it yet again on PS3... but it's worth it. I also bought the Asia disc version of Biohazard Revival Selection and Biohazard Chronicles HD Selection since I didn't have the latter for Wii(never owned a Wii but have bought the RE Wii games to play on Wii U). I think RE4 is worth it in HD but no MOVE support Capcom... really? FU. ICO/Shadow of the Colossus worth it.

yeah it's worth if it's done right, Silent Hill collection had so many bad reviews I never bothered since I own the originals. I also want to get Zone of the Enders eventually.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

If anything it allows more copies of games that stopped being produced. I have a lot of old games because I like to actually play them, but if they become rare then I'm too scared to play them because of wear and tear. Of course if devs would just release them digitally that would be even better but noooooooooo, Disney just has to a jerk about it.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SpiderLuke

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

I have the same problem. Years of backlogs going back a couple generations. I've always been busy with school before. Now I'm out for a while and it isn't a whole lot better. Work 15 hours a day some days and getting married soon. Hardly time to play games. Plus I end up starting a ton of games and only get a certain percentage through, then I start another. PS Plus makes it worse for me too, despite the fact that I still love it. lol

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride

@SpiderLuke said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@MarcRecon said:

I have the same problem. Years of backlogs going back a couple generations. I've always been busy with school before. Now I'm out for a while and it isn't a whole lot better. Work 15 hours a day some days and getting married soon. Hardly time to play games. Plus I end up starting a ton of games and only get a certain percentage through, then I start another. PS Plus makes it worse for me too, despite the fact that I still love it. lol

i hear you dude, i just hope i can make it somewhat smaller this year

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

I found it to be worth it when they made it for God of War volume collection 2, which i have completed it and heard great things abour ICO & Shadow of Collous and MGS HD.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I've never been big on HD remakes or remasters... That being said, I'm thinking of getting Tales of Symphonia Chronicles when it comes out next month. ToS is one of my all time favorites.

rkm0911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rkm0911
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

it only really depends on whether or not you are a fan of that certain remastered series. why bother if ur not?

crossing my fingers and toes for FFX-HD

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I love HD collections!

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#37 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Unless they add a lot of new content and/or add in a harder difficulty setting, I would say no unless you have never played the original.

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

when they call it "hd" its a little misleading. they just upscale the same image to fit a higher resolution display. they will still look like ps2 graphics. they just rework some of the coding to make it able to be played on a console with different architecture. of course im speaking from limited experience because ive only gotten the ps3 "hd" versions of killzone and san andreas. maybe they do more with other games but for killzone i think something mustve been lost in the translation because it looks noticeably worse than if i were playing the actual game on a ps2 console. not sure about san andreas but i know it doesnt look any better for a supposed hd remake. so if youre expecting an improved experience with the hd remake youll probably feel let down but if you just always loved the game and dont have a ps2 anymore it could still be worth it