What are the best JRPGs on the PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

So I'm sitting here, looking at my entire collection of PS2 and PS3 games, and then I notice... there really aren't that many PS3 JRPGs compared to the PS2 :(.

These are some of the best that I can think of at the top of my head:

Ni No Kuni (Still haven't played this one, but it just looks awesome!)

Valkryia Chronicles (Waaay too underrated, deserves more recognition)

And... that's where I get stumped lol. 

What are your guys' best JRPGs on the PS3?

#2 Posted by onewiththegame (4244 posts) -
Ni No Kuni is the only one I've played but I'm not a JRPG fan
#3 Posted by yokofox33 (29277 posts) -

The two you listed are the best, yes, although VC is more SRPG, but whatever. Game is awesome.

Check out Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Graces F, and Tales of Xillia when that releases.

#4 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

The two you listed are the best, yes, although VC is more SRPG, but whatever. Game is awesome.

Check out Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Graces F, and Tales of Xillia when that releases.

yokofox33
Resonance of Fate, I've heard of that game before. Isn't it like some sort of strategy rpg with guns or something? lol. I just remember hearing good things about it :). And yesh man, I agree with you, Valkryia Chronicles is freakin' amazing :D
#5 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

What did you think of Ni No Kuni? Was it awesome? :)

#6 Posted by punisher1 (3201 posts) -

nobody in the west cares about stale JRPG's anymore.

#7 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

punisher1
Yesh, there are people that still do. That's like saying nobody in Japan cares about the Xbox. There are people that do.
#8 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

punisher1
^This. Stale shooters are much better.
#9 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
Anyway, most of the good ones were mentioned, and I just started diving into the PS3 library so all I can reccomend so far is Valkyria Chronicles, which you already know.
#10 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Yeah, what everyone else said.

Also, you can't go wrong with Disgaea 4. It's an SRPG, but still...I also enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII despite all the hate it got. The story is laughably bad but the gameplay is very fun. Play it and skip all the cutscenes. :P

#11 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

Yeah, what everyone else said.

Also, you can't go wrong with Disgaea 4. It's an SRPG, but still...I also enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII despite all the hate it got. The story is laughably bad but the gameplay is very fun. Play it and skip all the cutscenes. :P

Lucky_Krystal
Hahaha xD. Now that is some good advice right there lol.
#12 Posted by Pffrbt (6495 posts) -

RatedSTARZ

It's BAD.

Play Eternal Sonata instead.

#13 Posted by locus-solus (488 posts) -
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were both really good and this next game doesn't completely count as its a HD PS2 game but the remake made it possible for my to play it Okami HD
#14 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -
Nier was awesome, more action jrpg. Also favs. were white knight chronicles, eternal sonata, last rebellion, final fantasy xiii/2, and ni no kuni
#15 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces F, Nier

Tales of Xillia comes out this year which looks pretty sweet.

#16 Posted by CWEBB04z (4555 posts) -
I enjoyed White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2. Spent a lot of hours online and offline.
#17 Posted by Pffrbt (6495 posts) -

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were both really good and this next game doesn't completely count as its a HD PS2 game but the remake made it possible for my to play it Okami HDlocus-solus

None of those are really JRPGs.

#18 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

Hmmm... never heard of White Knight Chronicles. I'll definitely check those out :)

#19 Posted by locus-solus (488 posts) -

[QUOTE="locus-solus"]Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were both really good and this next game doesn't completely count as its a HD PS2 game but the remake made it possible for my to play it Okami HDPffrbt

saying Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't jrpgs is completely false? do you not agree with the style of the games? i'll give you Okami could categorized as a adventure game with rpg elements
#20 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

I think Ni no Kuni was the only AAA JRPG for the PS3.

Valkyria Chronicles was a lot of fun at first, but eventually it just becomes save/load, save/load, save/load... and the loading times are long. I had to quit the game about 2/3s through because it just became too repetitive.

I thought FFXIII was awful. Graces f seemed mediocre to me. Eternal Sonata I quit halfway through when it just became too long-winded. I can't remember which other JRPGs I tried.

#21 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="locus-solus"]Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were both really good and this next game doesn't completely count as its a HD PS2 game but the remake made it possible for my to play it Okami HDlocus-solus

saying Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't jrpgs is completely false? do you not agree with the style of the games? i'll give you Okami could categorized as a adventure game with rpg elements

JRPGs would be so designated because they have a turn-based combat system (I think). Therefore DS and DaS are more normal RPG than JRPG. They are damn awesome games, though.

#22 Posted by Buckhannah (293 posts) -
Play Eternal Sonata instead.Pffrbt
Hard to find at retail now, and I've been looking. Wish it was on PSN.
#23 Posted by locus-solus (488 posts) -

[QUOTE="locus-solus"][QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

DaRq_MiNoS

JRPGs would be so designated because they have a turn-based combat system (I think). Therefore DS and DaS are more normal RPG than JRPG. They are damn awesome games, though.

i personally would consider them jrpgs as there origin is Japanese. if some or most of y'all consider it to be a style of game "turn based" i haven't played any this gen
#24 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -

Hmmm... never heard of White Knight Chronicles. I'll definitely check those out :)

RatedSTARZ
White knight chronicles isn't really strong in the story aspect, very cliche and it's pretty short, around 30 hrs. The game is more inclined for online play which I think for the original has been shut down now. It's developed by level 5 too which I'm sure you've played on ps2... rouge galaxy, dark cloud and dragon quest viii. You'd be better of with getting white knight chronicles 2 as it also has the original game included. Basically the original wkc game runs with the updated engine to wkc 2. The battle system is similar to FF XII, so if you enjoyed that game, you'll probably enjoy this game too.
#25 Posted by Pffrbt (6495 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="locus-solus"]Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were both really good and this next game doesn't completely count as its a HD PS2 game but the remake made it possible for my to play it Okami HDlocus-solus

saying Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't jrpgs is completely false?

Obviously the games have far more in common with western RPGs, so if we're going by actual content (which is the only thing that matters anyway), no they're not really JRPGs.

#26 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

Lol, so what do you guys consider a JRPG then? What the key components that would make up a JRPG? :P Maybe this should be created in another thread lol. 

#27 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

Lol, so what do you guys consider a JRPG then? What the key components that would make up a JRPG? :P Maybe this should be created in another thread lol.

RatedSTARZ

JRPGs have turn-based combat. You also tend to control several characters rather than just one like in regular RPGs. I'm sure there's more that I'm missing. You'd definitely recognize a different feel to the game when you play one as compared to a normal RPG.

Examples:

Suikoden games

Kingdom Hearts games

Ni no Kuni

Final Fantasy games

Fire Emblem games

Tales of games

#28 Posted by yokofox33 (29277 posts) -

Some of those games you listed are strategy games while some have real-time or action based combat (Tales, Kingdom Hearts). JRPGs don't always have turn-based.

To me JRPGs are story-driven, have multiple playable characters, are long adventures, and are essentially made in Japan. Combat can vary.

#29 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

Very interesting :). I guess everyone has a different definition of what a JRPG is to them. 

For me a JRPG has that unique taste/flavor that can only be obtained by being initially created in Japan. If you're looking at more old school JRPGs, many of them usually revolve around saving the world, discovering your childhood friend is a Princess, or getting your town attacked from the start hahahaha xD. But either way, I still enjoy playing JRPGs :).

#30 Posted by gamenerd15 (4434 posts) -

JRPG's do not have to be turned based.  The only reason are saying turned based combat is a classification of JRPG's is because most JRPG's from the third generation of systems to the fifth featured this type of battle system.  There were some action RPG's back then too such as Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore.  I believe Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia also fit into the sub-genre as well.  There is nothing that really designates a JRPG from any other RPG other than the fact that it was developed by a Japanese studio.  People also define Western RPG's by character customization.  this is also untrue.  JRPG's also allowed for character customization such as Seiken Densetsu 3, Final Fantasy 5, Bahamut Lagoon and so on. 

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls would fit into the JRPG category because they were developed by From Software, which is a Japanese company.  The whole X game does not belong in a certain genre because it does not have a particular element is a very lackluster statement.  Valkyria Chronicles would is a JRPG.  It might be a strategy game, but it is still a JRPG. 

There are plenty of RPG's out there to try out.

You could get

Demon's Soul's/Dark Souls

Valkyria Chronicles

Eternal Sonata

Tales of Graces F

Tales of Xillia (August)

Final Fantasy 13

Final Fantasy 13-2

Final Fantasy 13 Lightning Returns. (release date?)

Star Ocean

Disgaea 3

Disgaea 4

Disgaea 5 (release date?)

Resonance of Fate

The Atelier games

Ni No Kuni

Time and Eternity (release date?)

Ar Tonelico 3

White Knight Chronicles 2 (contains the first game on disc)

Even if some of the games are not that great, most of the titles are pretty cheap. 

Here is an article explaining why people should not ignore games in the middle of the scoring spectrum. 

http://www.gamespot.com/features/in-defense-of-the-60-6349597/

#31 Posted by Ovirew (6280 posts) -

[QUOTE="RatedSTARZ"]

Pffrbt

It's BAD.

Play Eternal Sonata instead.

Eternal Sonata is IN NO WAY better than Ni No Kuni.
#32 Posted by Ovirew (6280 posts) -

[QUOTE="RatedSTARZ"]

DaRq_MiNoS

JRPGs have turn-based combat. You also tend to control several characters rather than just one like in regular RPGs. I'm sure there's more that I'm missing. You'd definitely recognize a different feel to the game when you play one as compared to a normal RPG.

Examples:

Suikoden games

Kingdom Hearts games

Ni no Kuni

Final Fantasy games

Fire Emblem games

Tales of games

Kingdom Hearts doesn't really fit what you just said though lol.
#33 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13113 posts) -
Valkyria Chronicles is one of my favorite games on the PS3. It's got a great story, awesome characters, and the strategy gameplay is very unique and fun to boot. I definitely recommend giving it a go. From the demo, it didn't seem like that game had much to it, but once I finally got the full version, I was floored. You can choose your own troops by personality and how they get along with other members, which will affect some troops' effectiveness. You pick your team for each skirmish, balancing each of the different classes however you like (with some restrictions). The fact that characters can die permanently forces you to really think about who you'll want out on the battlefield, too. Your whole squad can level up and unlock more powerful abilities. It's just a lot of fun. And did I mention how pretty it is?

As for Ni No Kuni, I found it incredibly tedious. It looks beautiful, but the story wasn't doing anything for me and the characters seem to ramble on as they hammer in every little point they make. One character constantly talks down to the protagonist like he's stupid because he always has to repeat himself. It's like they are explaining the game to a five year old. And this happens over and over and over again. It drove me crazy. The gameplay was mostly running around in circles and spamming your best attacks. Of course, most people loved it, so don't just take my word for it. But as far as I'm concerned Valkyria Chronicles is the best of the two and really the only one worth your time.

#34 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

JRPG's do not have to be turned based. The only reason are saying turned based combat is a classification of JRPG's is because most JRPG's from the third generation of systems to the fifth featured this type of battle system. There were some action RPG's back then too such as Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore. I believe Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia also fit into the sub-genre as well. There is nothing that really designates a JRPG from any other RPG other than the fact that it was developed by a Japanese studio. People also define Western RPG's by character customization. this is also untrue. JRPG's also allowed for character customization such as Seiken Densetsu 3, Final Fantasy 5, Bahamut Lagoon and so on.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls would fit into the JRPG category because they were developed by From Software, which is a Japanese company. The whole X game does not belong in a certain genre because it does not have a particular element is a very lackluster statement. Valkyria Chronicles would is a JRPG. It might be a strategy game, but it is still a JRPG.

There are plenty of RPG's out there to try out.

You could get

Demon's Soul's/Dark Souls

Valkyria Chronicles

Eternal Sonata

Tales of Graces F

Tales of Xillia (August)

Final Fantasy 13

Final Fantasy 13-2

Final Fantasy 13 Lightning Returns. (release date?)

Star Ocean

Disgaea 3

Disgaea 4

Disgaea 5 (release date?)

Resonance of Fate

The Atelier games

Ni No Kuni

Time and Eternity (release date?)

Ar Tonelico 3

White Knight Chronicles 2 (contains the first game on disc)

Even if some of the games are not that great, most of the titles are pretty cheap.

Here is an article explaining why people should not ignore games in the middle of the scoring spectrum.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/in-defense-of-the-60-6349597/

gamenerd15

Well, I don't agree that Valkyria Chronicles is a JRPG. It's basically a squad-based combat game like XCOM Enemy Unknown. I can see someone arguing it as one though I guess. I don't really agree that Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are JRPGs. It's definitely open to one's own interpretation, but I see JRPG as a "Japanese style" RPG (which has the type of characteristics or at least the feel that I described). IMHO, DaS and DeS are really Western-style RPGs that are made in Japan... and those darn Japanese showed us that they can make better Western RPGs than we can in the west. Go figure.

#35 Posted by CTR360 (6959 posts) -
dark souls demon souls ni no kuni tales of graces f final 13 valkyria cronicles ans doon coming tales of xilia
#36 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

Wow it looks like a lot of you guys have VERY different opinions on which JRPGs are the best, and more importantly, which games are even considered a JRPG. Either way, I've enjoyed reading all of your responses, and I think I have a few games that I definitely want to try. So to everyone who has contributed so far, thank you good sirs :). 

#37 Posted by enz2 (1689 posts) -
Everyone has their different tastes in JRPGs. Check out videos of gameplay to get an idea of what suits your play style would be best.
#38 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

[QUOTE="locus-solus"][QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

DaRq_MiNoS

JRPG=RPG made in Japan. Nothing more and nothing less.
#39 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

[QUOTE="RatedSTARZ"]

Ovirew

Examples:

Suikoden games

Kingdom Hearts games

Ni no Kuni

Final Fantasy games

Fire Emblem games

Tales of games

Kingdom Hearts doesn't really fit what you just said though lol.

You're right. I'm sorry. I meant Vandal Hearts, not Kingdom Hearts.

#40 Posted by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

tales of graces f