What are some great "thinking" PS3 games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BH14 (1717 posts) -

While I do enjoy fighting, action, shooting and driving games as those are my favorites, I am enjoying my latest PSN purchase.... "Pure Chess". I recommend Pure Chess on the PSN even though it doesn't have real time online. I know all games require some thinking but chess and games like tetris are a break from those other type of games.I searched reviews for ps3 category: puzzles on this site and nothing shows up. What are some great "thinking" or strategy games for the PS3? I guess poker game?

#2 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Strategy Games I enjoy a lot:

Tom Clancy's EndWar

R.U.S.E.

and believe it or not, The Tiger Woods series is very thought-based... Figuring distances, club use, ball control, etc., it's how I've gotten GFs into gaming because there's a lot o' thought required instead of all reflexes and action!

;)

#3 Posted by EastMagi (143 posts) -

If you like a combination of thinking and action/adventure hack and slash games, I'd recommend Darksiders 2. The clever puzzles will put your brain to work.

#4 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -
hmm, let me think....
#5 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Catherine and Portal 2 are great puzzle games. Highly reccomend them.

#6 Posted by Oldgun (155 posts) -

Braid comes to the mind, very challenging..

#7 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74217 posts) -

Catherine and Portal 2 are great puzzle games. Highly reccomend them.

Lucky_Krystal
Was going to mention Catherine. Portal 2 is also an excellent choice.
#8 Posted by muffin200 (733 posts) -

The new X-Com would be my first choice.

#9 Posted by sukraj (23060 posts) -

portal 2

#10 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -
Now this is more about moral fiber and moral thinking rather than actually solving a puzzle it tests your own limits and decisions, ladies and gentlemen I present... HEAVY RAIN :)
#11 Posted by d_parker (1715 posts) -

Doodle Fit, Elefunk and Angry Birds are worth checking out.

#12 Posted by BH14 (1717 posts) -

I remember seeing the highly rated reviews for portal 2 about the puzzles. I may have to check that out. XCOM also looks interesting and is also highly rated. There are also a ton of puzzle like games on psn.

#13 Posted by unrealtron (3148 posts) -
The portal games.
#14 Posted by Sokol4ever (6305 posts) -

I definitely recommend XCOM and Portal 2. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and MGS4 on harder difficulty are also pretty good.

#15 Posted by awesomeface (3661 posts) -
Portal 2 and the Uncharted games.
#16 Posted by Razor5188 (4 posts) -
valkyria chronicles is a pretty good game. Its alot like chess. Its an rpg but its a strategy game.
#17 Posted by mav_destroyer (3062 posts) -
There are pure puzzle games like echochrome. There were a few others but I can't remember at the moment.
#18 Posted by bostadskontrakt (387 posts) -

Definitely Braid. Great game and if you clear that game without using walkthrough then you've done a great job using you brain.

Also Limbo I would say.

#19 Posted by ristactionjakso (5741 posts) -

If you like a combination of thinking and action/adventure hack and slash games, I'd recommend Darksiders 2. The clever puzzles will put your brain to work.

EastMagi

Man, I thought the puzzles really really redundant. 90% of the time all you have to do is put a ball in the indent in the ground. No thought to these puzzles at all.

You could try out X-com or Valkyria Cjronicles.

#20 Posted by EastMagi (143 posts) -

[QUOTE="EastMagi"]

ristactionjakso

Man, I thought the puzzles really really redundant. 90% of the time all you have to do is put a ball in the indent in the ground.

Yes, but a lot of them require you to figure out a way to get the ball or any other object from point A to the target destination (point B). Not all the puzzles are straight forward. They make you "think".

#21 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9843 posts) -
Portal 2 and Echochrome
#22 Posted by glitch2424 (897 posts) -

PSN games:
Pixel Junk Monsters
Lumines Supernova (highly recommended!)

PS3 games:
Portal 2 (it's good, but people don't really realize that the gameplay devolves into trial and error most of the time)
Xcom (only played the demo, but it's damn good)

Non-ps3 games:
World of Goo (highly recommended)
Advanced Wars (pretty hard game - haven't beat one yet).
Final fantasy 10 (on PSN soon apparently - probably the most tactical pure RPG I've played, and simply one of the best RPGs)

#23 Posted by clr84651 (5487 posts) -

Cuboid

#24 Posted by shognation (3 posts) -
uncharted, i'm curious about far cry 3 as well.
#25 Posted by arcangelgold (96 posts) -
Akimi Village is a small cheap game where you have to build buildings and use strategy to make Akimi do things in order to build more buildings and unlock the whole area. After a while you really have to think about which Akimi should be doing what.