watch dog reviews

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ewalthour
Member since 2013 • 841 Posts

Most reviews are good not great. I have read reviews from polygon,videogamer,ign,joystiq,gamingbolt,eurogamer,gamespot, gametrailers,gameinformer etc.

Most score are low 8's which us great for gamespot but to me it's a good score. One 9 and 8.9 scores from gamingbolt and gametrailers.

Storyline not great and car chases are a mix bag but gun battles and online modes are good. I am on the fence should I get the game. I like bei g able to shoot while driving and the hacking doesn't always work well while on a car chase. Like one review says maybe the car chases are meant for you to seek shelter and hide. I don't like the fact you can drive police or any other enemies off the side of the road like GTA 5

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

You can use your brain & decide.

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

An 82 out of 100 metascore is still considered a good game. It just isn't considered to be an excellent game that was really hyped up. I have played many great games that were less than 82 though. I was also disappointed in some +90 metascore games. I may still go out and get this game but the score isn't gonna make me rush out there and get the game. I am gonna wait and get it on sale.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ewalthour

I can use my brain just fine A hole. No need for a stupid comment just asking peoples opinion....since I stated I'm on the fence. I saw a video comparison of 2012 e3 video with ps4 from videogamer.com. There things really annoy me about this game that I have been banging about on this forum for the last 6 months since the delay about why I hate the way things went with this game. i think the game has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I want a reason not to get it. I want it yet I don't really want to support it The E3 2012 video was clearly a high end PC just like everyone suspected. The game looks good especially at night but the resolutions at 900 for ps4 and the hype is making me contemplate deeply. I know I can rrent it and I am starting to feel to just go to gamestop and put my preorder to Batman.

I am sure you guys heard The Order of 1886 maybe delayed til Feb 2015. I also read that The Order 1886 rumour will be confirmed today.

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

I tend to go with metacritic

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

I base my decision usually on Amazon reviews. Of course, you always get that one guy that gives a 1 star, usually for some dumb reason like, "Amazon didn't ship it on time, so I'll rate the game a 1, which has nothing to do with the actual content of the software..."

I think if I could get it for cheap I might pick it up. Money is tight now, so I can't justify dropping $60 for an okay experience.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Does anybody remember when games scored between 6 and 7 all the time and they were good games... the problem today is that people think that if a game doesn't have a $20 million or more budget and doesn't score a 9 or above that it isn't worthy... and then people wonder why we don't have libraries growing as fast as the PS2 days.. The problem with games that score 9's or above is the fact that they are games with huge budgets (*usually* over the past 10 years or so) including HUGE marketing budgets that pretty much just BUY top scores, because of all the hype and awareness surrounding them before launch.

I have not played this game... I am sure it is good. I just find it funny that some people consider an 82 a let down or flop. I'm sure a couple million more in advertising would have got the game a 90.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ewalthour

@WitIsWisdom: I dont base buying a game on one score but many scores plus the content of reviews. I also don't like wasting money either and people are harder to sell to on craigslist. I hate giving away money too gamestop since soon as you leave the store the game depreciate like a new car I should just be patient and wait for user reviews. Still trying to figure out whatb I want to do. I only have nba 2k for ps4 and no other system. I am ready for a great game. Yrs I do have indie demos,resogun and chess I bought(that I am learning)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@ewalthour said:

@WitIsWisdom: I dont base buying a game on one score but many scores plus the content of reviews. I also don't like wasting money either and people are harder to sell to on craigslist. I hate giving away money too gamestop since soon as you leave the store the game depreciate like a new car I should just be patient and wait for user reviews. Still trying to figure out whatb I want to do. I only have nba 2k for ps4 and no other system. I am ready for a great game. Yrs I do have indie demos,resogun and chess I bought(that I am learning)

Are you only an NBA fan or a fan of other sports as well? The Show is a great game.

It's hard to recommend a lot of games right now, but FFXIV has been fun, if you don't mind FTP then Warframe isn't bad. I personally feel that BF4 is MUCH better than BF3... perhaps that is just because of Defuse though... I have a lot of games. If you have any questions about a specific game let me know. I am a player/collector and am the clan leader of VOW. www.vowunited.com

I also work as a moderator at www.sofstudios.com for the upcoming title H-Hour World Elite. Stop in if you get board :)

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ewalthour

@WitIsWisdom: I like baseball but don't follow it Enough to warrant buying it. I want a demo to see if I can get into not knowing alot of players these days. I like Madden but returned it since It felt it was a last gen game for ps4. Just like UFC fighter is coming out this month but i don't know enough about the sport to buy it either although it looks great. I may consider buying it if there is a great tutorial. Based on the trailers there seems to be a tutorial system to learn the mechanics of the gameplay.

I may chk out your forum I loved the navy seal series game on ps2( I forgot it's name).

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ewalthour

I have decided after much deliberation to hold out on my gamestop preorder and get this game used at gamestop after a few weeks. I know how gamestop works, even if someone brings it back after a day or so of buying a new game it still will be sold new. It will take a few weeks before watch dog will be sold used. I plan to utilize gamestop return policy and test the game out for a 7 day return policy.

I have read and watched a ton of video reviews and decided i don't want to pay full price. The game has too many negatives for me to buy it day one release. I have somewhat a middle finger attitude to ubisoft for how they have handled the delay. The game is delayed for half a yr and still not 1080p and running on 30 fps and many reviewers noticed hiccups in the game. I think what really help me decide not go get the game yet is the criticism that the hacking seems to be cool but too simplistic, the driving is stiff and isn't as good as GTA5 and you can't shoot while driving and the storyline isn't compelling and you don't really care about Aiden. I read you can upgrade driving skills so if reviewers still criticized the driving mechanics then thats not good. I also don't like the fact that you can earn insane amount of money doing jobs but don't have anything to buy with it except for generic outfits. You really don't even need to buy weapons since they are all provided in the game also.

I do have a vendetta against ubisoft for all the hype but didn't fulfill all the promises. You can't even hack the entire city from one of the reviews which publisher stated was promised from ubisoft. I was desiring this game for so long with no game i want until october. Yet i still am willing to be patient and wait for user reviews on youtube and this forum. I think this could be the most disappointing game this yr. I know nothing but GTA game could live up to watch dog hype but this is the fault of ubisoft and I don't want to waste my money on this game.

I did read reviews from amazon as well and felt that out of 17 reviews 4-5 people gave the game a 1 star with this high production value that was a major determining factor to wait for a used version. Yes i could waste money by renting the game on red box or the other game rental site i forgot the name but i would rather get a full refund if I am not satisfied. I have a high suspicion i will be disappointed once i get my hands on Watch Dog for PS4.

This game proves once again that embargoes for reviews are high probabilities that the game has something to hide. Yes i know sometimes embargoes do not mean the game is bad but usually not great but MGS ground is a exception to the rule. If it wasn't for knowing MGS ground zero will have Phantom pain coming out. I would have kept ground zero and considered it a 9/10 even though the content was short and virtually no story. I just think the game mechanics for ground zero was the best in my most favorite series. I can't wait for the E3 trailer and hopefully the comes out early next yr.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@ewalthour said:

You can't even hack the entire city

What were you hoping for when you want to "hack the entire city"?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WitIsWisdom

@ewalthour said:

@WitIsWisdom: I like baseball but don't follow it Enough to warrant buying it. I want a demo to see if I can get into not knowing alot of players these days. I like Madden but returned it since It felt it was a last gen game for ps4. Just like UFC fighter is coming out this month but i don't know enough about the sport to buy it either although it looks great. I may consider buying it if there is a great tutorial. Based on the trailers there seems to be a tutorial system to learn the mechanics of the gameplay.

I may chk out your forum I loved the navy seal series game on ps2( I forgot it's name).

Yes, that was SOCOM. H-Hour is the spiritual successor to SOCOM 1 and 2 :) If you played SOCOM online any, you might run into some old friends on the forum. Hope to see you there man.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Read my thread about my impressions. More than pleased with the game, hats off to Ubisoft because they nailed it with this game.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ewalthour

@WitIsWisdom: yes socom. I love that series. My partner and I names were assault and battery. I made up the name. We werent the best tandom but we had a blast playing together but never joined a clan just joined up with guys that we played together when we got the chance.

will check out the forum.

I read about this game before. So it's only a pc game for now and ps4 2015? It's one of those community games which use public funds and develop the game with raising money? I am not a pc person because I'm not into souping up my pc to get better graphics etc. Of and when it comes to ps4 I am o

In.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ewalthour

@BattleSpectre: yeah I read your post. Happy you are enjoying game. How long have you been following the game? Did you get caught in the hype machine and read every post you could get your hands on good or bad before release?

Is driving considered a weaker part of the game mechanics? How would you compare it to GTA 5? Did you think GTA 5 was one of the best in the series? You played watch dog for 8-10 hrs. So was this time played fooling around or storyline? Does the supporting cast interest you? I heard as you already read that the story doesn't invest you emotionally to caring about aiden or any other person since you never find out why they do what they do. There aren't any back stories that are well explained.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

first off, as reviewers mature along with the gaming society, it is only normal for the ratings to drop, where reviewers also take ingenuity and design as well as technical prowess shown within the title... if you do not believe me, check the reviews that scored 9 and higher in the past couple of years...

apart from that 8 is a very good score, do not expect something (not only games but anything in life) you fell in love with to be viewed as such by everyone else unanimously... so buy / rent the game first and decide for yourself... :D

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts
@ewalthour said:

@BattleSpectre: yeah I read your post. Happy you are enjoying game. How long have you been following the game? Did you get caught in the hype machine and read every post you could get your hands on good or bad before release?

Is driving considered a weaker part of the game mechanics? How would you compare it to GTA 5? Did you think GTA 5 was one of the best in the series? You played watch dog for 8-10 hrs. So was this time played fooling around or storyline? Does the supporting cast interest you? I heard as you already read that the story doesn't invest you emotionally to caring about aiden or any other person since you never find out why they do what they do. There aren't any back stories that are well explained.

I've been interested in Watch Dogs since it was announced. But I didn't read every post about the game and follow it religiously, only watched a few videos here and there and a few posts about the game keeping up with it's progress. I wasn't surprised about that downgrade, because it wasn't downgraded. The game shown at E3 2012 was running on a beast of a PC, no surprise really. Nonetheless I still find the graphics super impressive and I'm playing on the PS4 version.

Driving - The driving mechanics are probably the biggest let down in the game to be honest, it feels clunky and the car is overly responsive, so when I push the analog stick to the left for example it'll just jerk in that direction really quickly causing me to crash in whatever's sitting there. It takes a bit of getting used to and even then you'll still dislike the driving mechanics in the game.

As for comparing it to GTA V, I think the latest instalment of grand theft auto did a lot of things right too in the open world setting, making it a hard game to top. If you meant the driving mechanics of Watch Dogs compared to GTA V then there's no competition. GTA shits all over Watch Dogs both in driving mechanics and car models themselves, Watch Dogs car models aren't that detailed and some of them are almost laughable to be quite honest. But I can safely say I'm having just as much fun in Watch Dogs as I did in GTA V.

My 8-10 hours of gameplay (now it's even more) was digging into the main campaign, but most of that time I was exploring Chicago and playing some of the city games. When it comes to the story I don't get why people are saying that it's bad, sure on paper the story of the game might sound a little cheesy. But I really like Aiden enough to care about him, and all the supporting cast for that matter too. I think all this negative talk about the story and characters not being interesting is bullshit, because I'm very invested in the campaign.

One good example of a character that really stood out to me the most is Jordi Chin, he's a very clever and witty buddy of yours who helps you out on missions. Many a times I've laughed about what he's said and his just a really well done character. I'm very early on in the game so I don't know if things will change, but so far I'm understanding the story quite well and it all makes sense to me. Hope this helped, happy gaming.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

82 metacritic score is great! I am loving it. I think some people are just comparing it too much to GTA V

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ewalthour

@BattleSpectre: thanks for answering my questions. I already signed up for a free 30 day trial at gamefly to rent watch dogs. It's on the low availability, so I hope they don't wait 2 weeks before they ship it.

Its resounding that the driving mechanics are shit. Everyone on Amazon complained about it. The story seems to be ok. How could ubisoft not figure out after 6 monthes of optimizing the game mechanics that the cars drive like a skateboard? I will determine myself if the game is worth 60$. I still have my pre-order at gamestop but will lose it in 3 days from release of game, which I don't give a damn. So I will give myself a demo by renting watchdog with free trial for a month.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Was probably the worst 6hours in a game I have had in a long long time, esp a game so hyped as this, the problem is the idea is amazing the hacking is a great and fun thing to do, so everyone is over looking how bad everything else is, this is no next gen title, for me the games core mechanics are worse than some ps2 games, i cannot believe how bad of a game this is, and i was so looking forward to it aswel, i honestly don't believe it should receive the scores it's getting, lots of great games have been marked down for the smallest detail and yet for some reason watchdogs gets away with having probably the worst controls and mechanics in a game so far on next gen and even the last couple of years of the ps3.

this game is so outdated that GTA5 in my eyes is leaps and bounds better than this game.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ewalthour

@bezza2011: thanks again for being a voice of reasoning. What really was so bad the car, shooting or both? How was the graphics compared to GTA? I already know the weather and night looks great but daytime exposes its half breed old to next gen cross over.

Do you regret buying it or it's stil worth it for hacking, story and online?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bezza2011

@ewalthour:

The car models are awful, I'd even go and say that it's close to a ps2 racing game the quality, the driving for me is very bad handles so badly when you got games like GTA doing a great job in handling it, for some people they may like it, but for me i just have no fun driving in this game.

Shooting may just be down to me but I'm finding the aiming to be very twitchy in the game, it auto aims and I've tried to pull off a few headshots to which I press up very gently to find that the aim has sky rocketed up to the sky near enough, this could be down to just me being rubbish it takes me awhile to change up, took me an hour or 2 on infamous to get right with it.

Graphics wise night time in the rain is absolutely breathtaking I mean the bad graphics are still there but there much more hidden behind the rain and night sky, in the day time, you'd be hard to fine anything good to look at, it's worse than GTA5 I'd say the graphics are on par with something from mid gen PS3 era. character models are bad aswel main characters not so much but anyone else it's horrid.

AI is awful really bad in my eyes, cops crash into other cars, AI enemy just seem gormless and alot of the time just come all guns blazing and don't see to have much intelligence, the covering system just seems really outdated, and not fluid, or giving you enough freedom, when your in a tight spot, you have to press X to stick onto a wall, sometimes when you need to get off the wall it just doesn't want to, because you have to click X on a paticular part of the cover you want to go to, you sometimes just can't click the right spot and end up covering in clear sight of the enemy, it all just feels so dated the way you move around again could just be me not used to it, but that's called coming away from games like AC4 and GTA5 , someone was arguing that this is their first game in the WD world and it took over 10years to sort out GTA mechanics, but my argument back is, you can say that with any new game but the fundementals have been put in place by AC4 anyway, and like someone said on here you wonder why they delayed probably because they saw how fluid the controls AC4 had and it would be judged alot more, i just don't think we should let slip flaws just because it's a new game.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ewalthour

@bezza2011: thanks bezza..I had AC4 and although it looks good the gameplay got repetitive quickly. The only part I really liked was the ship battles. The combat was boring, the missions with stealth were mundane and I loss interest in the story. I never had a interest in assassin creed after playing the other demos until I decided to try AC 4. I will pass on yhe the next ps4 installment. I sold AC4 after a few months and didn't finish it.

my favorite ubisoft game was a ps2 game where a guy was in a ship in bad weather and shooting people like zombies. the had to deal with wind and holding on to objects for balance and could shoot simultaneously. I can't remember name of game. I remind me of The Thing. I wish they make that game on next gen.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bezza2011

@ewalthour: Hahahaha I cannot rememeber a game like that, I need to find this game lol you need to tell me what it is lol

AC4 and AC2 are the only games I managed to finish, AC2 I had to drag myself through it, it got that boring, and I finished 4 because of the pirate theme kept me entertained but completely agree on the whole boring combat and non existent stealth sections, and I won't be getting the new AC due to the fact it seem's to of gone back on what made AC4 intriguing and that was the setting, it's going back to the boring castles and brick walls same old same old

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

I find the collision bugs terrible for a game with this budget

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bezza2011

@TheTenth10: Cannot agree more I mean the own computer does know where the computer is, cars bang into cars, people bang into people, for what's meant to be a triple A game, It's terrible, and all that's before i even hack anything lol

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ewalthour

@bezza2011: it's cold fear on ps2. It was a lower budget game but very scary with great gameplay and graphics it was below the Radar. I friend of mine reminded me of the name.

what is your favorite game and genre?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bezza2011

@ewalthour: I'll check it out

Hmmmmmm that's a hard one, in Recent years I think The Last Of Us is my Favourite game to date don't think anything really has come close since that came out, But over the years I think Shenmue 1 & 2 are the only games I play every year without fail they are just to amazing way more advanced than they should of been.

I quite enjoy most genre's really accept first person shooters, racing sims, and arcade fighting games.

My main genre's are third person shooters sports games and I like to dig into alot of sim games like sim city and the sims, rollercoaster tycoon was brilliant in it's day spent hours on that, but my all time favorite genre is point and click adventures, monkey island, broken sword, grimfandango anything like that.

how about yourself?

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ewalthour

@bezza2011: maybe driving is bad in watch dogs but even worse for you since you don't like driving games.

My all time favorites game is metal gear solid series and love the direction the series is going from ground zero. I like sports games like the old Madden games,nba,tennis,table tennis, old mlb games,uncharted, socom,syphon filter,tomb raider,gta. I tolerate first person but love 3rd person. I want Batman black knight, the order, division,phantom pain,Drive club(liked midnight club).max Payne, uncharted, Deep down, red dead game, sequel to last of us and a return to a great resident evil.

I want e3 to bring a great new up and some co op family games using PlayStation camera.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts
@ewalthour said:

I can use my brain just fine A hole. No need for a stupid comment just asking peoples opinion....since I stated I'm on the fence. I saw a video comparison of 2012 e3 video with ps4 from videogamer.com. There things really annoy me about this game that I have been banging about on this forum for the last 6 months since the delay about why I hate the way things went with this game. i think the game has left a bitter taste in my mouth and I want a reason not to get it. I want it yet I don't really want to support it The E3 2012 video was clearly a high end PC just like everyone suspected. The game looks good especially at night but the resolutions at 900 for ps4 and the hype is making me contemplate deeply. I know I can rrent it and I am starting to feel to just go to gamestop and put my preorder to Batman.

I am sure you guys heard The Order of 1886 maybe delayed til Feb 2015. I also read that The Order 1886 rumour will be confirmed today.

Others can't possibly know if you should buy a game or not.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bezza2011

@ewalthour: Maybe it is because I'm not a huge fan of driving games, I'm getting driveclub, tho hahahaha My cuz has borrowed it for the day and I get a phone call about half an hour into my working day today, and he goes I played 5 minutes of it, got in a car and I just turned it off, I mean are people just getting on with it because we've been waiting for this game for so long or what, it seems now like it isn't just me who is concerned about the driving mechanics, I mean I watched that comparison video of 2012 to the retail version aswel did you see the part that they go round the roundabout and the E3 one they go super slow like a little to slow to what you would drive and park up and then they showed the retail version where it seemed the car had to twitch round in a zig zag fashion just to get round, lol I mean it just shows you right there that the car mechanics are useless.

Did I tell you this gen it's my mission to buy every mainstream retail Sony Exclusive just for my Collection plus all the third party games I'm interested in, I'm getting UFC which is pre ordered, Batman, The Last Of Us Remastered, and at the moment I just need 1 more game to reach my collection of 10 games already lol spending money like it's no one's business lol well half the games i did get for christmas lol. I love the metal gear solid series cannot wait for MGS5, ground zeroes even tho short just gave you that feeling of greatness is coming.

ewalthour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ewalthour

Yeah you never told me about your ambitious goal for all the games you want. I am cheap with games and only great online and single player games will I keep. MGS phantom pain is the only game I can't imagine selling once it comes out. I sold ground zero after a month so I wouldn't get burned out with the New mechanics of MGS so it will feel fresh when phantom pain comes out.

Batman Arkham Knight and drive club are the only non online games I can see not selling if they are great 8-9 out of 10 with high replay value. If ufc demo is fun I may buy it.I had fight night and other boxing games from the same developers

I cant see having a ton of games because unless I have time to play them then they collect dust and TO ME I would wate money. I am not knocking anyone se that like collec ting games specifically from sony my favorite gaming company

I hope Sony has something up their sleeves for E3 that Will blow me away with games and the camera(which I have). I like the playroom and hope they expand the game selections. I like ninja bots alot

and hope more of these great ideas with the pad on the DSC 4.

When u get drive club we should hook up on friends list.