This topic is locked from further discussion.

minotoro50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 minotoro50
Member since 2005 • 146 Posts
i look at hd tv description and is says dvi n??wats dvi????
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

It's just a type of input, like HDMI, Component, Composite, VGA cable, etc.

negtegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 negtegra
Member since 2006 • 695 Posts
DVI stands for Digital Video Interface. It is a way to connect via a digital signal as opposed to analog through VGA/Component cables.  HDMI carries sound as well as video, which DVI only carries video.  There are a couple kinds of DVI as well, such as DVI-D and DVI-I you are going to have to find out which kind of DVI your TV has because some of the DVI doesn't carry HDCP support.
minotoro50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 minotoro50
can i plug my ps3 ???if my hdtv says no dvi??
minotoro50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 minotoro50
my hdtv is Sylvania 32" LCD HDTV w/ Digital ATSC/NTSC Tuner, 6632LG
minotoro50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 minotoro50
help
dan_brouwer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 dan_brouwer
Member since 2006 • 1111 Posts
You can hook it up with an HDMI to DVI converter and a HDMI cable. EDIT: You can buy a converter at wal-mart.
negtegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 negtegra
Hmm, you should've looked at the back of your TV... I did a google search of your TV and it has an HDMI port (ver. 1.0) so you can just buy an HDMI cable from anywhere and use that which is better than DVI since it has both audio and video in one, and doesn't require either an adapter or a DVI-HDMI cable.
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts
My TV supports DVI input. Should I use an HDMI converter and run it in through DVI or should I stay with an analog signal with my component cables? I've read on several occasions that by converting the signal it degrades the color quality so it looks slightly more washed out.
minotoro50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 minotoro50
but if i dont want to buy hdmi can my tv is dvi output and input basically all the dvi of ps3??
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts
but if i dont want to buy hdmi can my tv is dvi output and input basically all the dvi of ps3??minotoro50
Slow down chief, I didn't understand a word of that.
negtegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 negtegra
[QUOTE="caseystryker"]My TV supports DVI input. Should I use an HDMI converter and run it in through DVI or should I stay with an analog signal with my component cables? I've read on several occasions that by converting the signal it degrades the color quality so it looks slightly more washed out.

Rubbish... I have my 50" LCD running an HDMI to DVI converter and the color was improved over my PS2 component cables that I previously had connected to it.

but if i dont want to buy hdmi can my tv is dvi output and input basically all the dvi of ps3??minotoro50

I'm assuming that means if you don't want to get an HDMI cable but you want to use a DVI from the PS3?

Well, you can't use any digital output from the PS3 without an HDMI cable coming from it.  I suppose you could have an adapter right at the PS3 going to a DVI cable to a DVI TV...but why it makes no sense.  I don't think your TV has a DVI input anyway, from what I read about it earlier it has an HDMI port, so why not just buy an HDMI cable and use that?
minotoro50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 minotoro50
no dvi that suck for me
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
Wow you guys are either intentionally messing this up or just really aren't reading this slowly enough. 1) The tv mentioned above has HDMI per negtegra 's post -- which is the best option (better than DVI since it includes sound) so minotoro get a HDMI Cable 2) If you have HDMI, but want the sound to go through your receiver and you don't have a HDMI switching receiver just run an optical over to the receiver from the PS3 and use the HDMI for data - that is how mine is setup 3) The HDMI to DVI doesn't really convert the signal like mentioned in the discussion about degrading your signal. The DVI accepts digital input as HDMI does, but it doesn't accept the sound. So look at it as just transferring the video-portion of the data stream and not the sound. The sound has to go in a separate cable - either your red/white av cables or an optical (depending on your tv / receiver). Converting a signal from analog to digital back to analog or something like that does downgrade the quality, but that is another matter
negtegra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 negtegra
I don't see how we were "intentionally messing him up" or not reading slowly enough, his sentences were malformed and lacked information so we went with what we had.  Your above post doesn't really add to much into to conversation minus the audio portion where you told him exactly how to connect a PS3 with a DVI and composite audio cables, which wasn't necessary since he has an HDMI connection to his TV. 

Bottom line is... if you want to connect your PS3 to your TV via HDMI or DVI you need an HDMI cable and a connector.  If he doesn't want to buy an HDMI cable he's not getting a digital signal and needs to stick to component.
Yankee_In_TX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Yankee_In_TX
Member since 2007 • 732 Posts
I don't see how we were "intentionally messing him up" or not reading slowly enough, his sentences were malformed and lacked information so we went with what we had.  Your above post doesn't really add to much into to conversation minus the audio portion where you told him exactly how to connect a PS3 with a DVI and composite audio cables, which wasn't necessary since he has an HDMI connection to his TV. 

Bottom line is... if you want to connect your PS3 to your TV via HDMI or DVI you need an HDMI cable and a connector.  If he doesn't want to buy an HDMI cable he's not getting a digital signal and needs to stick to component.
negtegra
It's ok, he called my lack of knowledge about starting up the PS3 with the controller sad :)
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
negtegra - sorry meant to say that minotoro50 is either intentionally messing this up or just really aren't reading this slowly enough. You and other clearly explained how to do things and all that came back was complaints about not being able to use the DVI that is why I did it step by step Yankee_In_TX - the reason I called it sad is because just a few posts before yours someone said exactly how to turn it remotely and complained about it being to easy... that is why I said it is either sad or funny