Virtue's Last Reward (Japanese text?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Articuno76 (18687 posts) -

Hi,

I noticed today that Virtue's Last Reward is out in shops in the UK (ninja entry into retail...didn't even know an English Vita release existed).  I really want to support the game but I tend to play these kinds of games in Japanese.  My understanding is that the UK version of the game has Japanese/English VA, but does it also have a Japanese text option as well?  Or can you otherwise get it to display Japanese text (changing system language?).  I've seen games in the past that have features like this (Lost Odyessey comes to mind) so it wouldn't be that strange if it did.

Can anyone help me out here?  

#2 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -
Why would you want that?
#3 Posted by Articuno76 (18687 posts) -
Why would you want that?tjoeb123
Short-version: Know Japanese. Would rather play the game in Japanese...but at the same time want to support these kinds of games in the West so that more people get to play them.
#4 Posted by darkspineslayer (19493 posts) -

I havn't played around with the system settings to try that, but I know selecting the japanese VA leaves the english text. If nobody else replies, I can check it out quickly later today.

Edit: Might I ask how you learned Japanese? I'm interested in learning it myself.

#5 Posted by Articuno76 (18687 posts) -

I havn't played around with the system settings to try that, but I know selecting the japanese VA leaves the english text. If nobody else replies, I can check it out quickly later today.

Edit: Might I ask how you learned Japanese? I'm interested in learning it myself.

darkspineslayer
I started with Pimsleur language tapes for a few weeks and after that I switched my degree and univeristy to a 4 year university course in Japanese (the second year being in Japan). After the first two years I was good enough to play language heavy games such as Crisis Core (the first language dependant game that I played in Japanese...to this day I've not played the English version). Sorry for the cop-out answer :P
#6 Posted by darkspineslayer (19493 posts) -
Interesting. I'll have to explore my options, I would like to learn it, but have other plans for my education. Would love to spend a year in Japan though. Would you say it was a good experience? Also, the game dosn't react to a system language. If you want it in Japanese you'll have to import.
#7 Posted by Articuno76 (18687 posts) -

Interesting. I'll have to explore my options, I would like to learn it, but have other plans for my education. Would love to spend a year in Japan though. Would you say it was a good experience? Also, the game dosn't react to a system language. If you want it in Japanese you'll have to import.darkspineslayer
Nuts. Okay. Guess I will have to weigh my options.

As for whether I'd stay in Japan another year...well at the time when I was in Japan I hated it (and the people) with a burning passion (for a year and a half after I left I seriously didn't even want them to visit my country). Call it an extreme reaction to culture shock (its the subtle things that wear you down rather than the things that stand out). Now though...yeah, I'd love to go again now that I've made peace with the place (and the people) and matured a bit.  I can safely say it was a 'good' experience in that it did a lot of good and made me grow up a lot, but that doesn't mean it was a pleasant experience...in retrospect though now that the pain has faded the things I take away from it are the good memories. Changed my life and path afterwards for the best (in the long run).  That's how I feel about it now.

#8 Posted by istuffedsunny (6981 posts) -
Rule of thumb: If game has dual audio and released outside Japan within a month, it will typically have JP text included. Usually it's just fighting games and exceptions (like Max Anarchy) are very rare. That's my experience anyway
#9 Posted by Articuno76 (18687 posts) -
How about that? The Japanese version of the game is free on PS+. The Japanese store is also currently offering a free 15-day trial for the PS+ service. I get to play the game I wanted to for free and the developer/publisher is still indirectly supported through PS+. Sounds like a win-win to me!
#10 Posted by darkspineslayer (19493 posts) -
How about that? The Japanese version of the game is free on PS+. The Japanese store is also currently offering a free 15-day trial for the PS+ service. I get to play the game I wanted to for free and the developer/publisher is still indirectly supported through PS+. Sounds like a win-win to me!Articuno76
I wish SCEA was so generous. If not for the 999 praise I heard from several gamespoters, I would have passed on the series completly.
#11 Posted by Carving_a_GSAU (159 posts) -

[QUOTE="Articuno76"]How about that? The Japanese version of the game is free on PS+. The Japanese store is also currently offering a free 15-day trial for the PS+ service. I get to play the game I wanted to for free and the developer/publisher is still indirectly supported through PS+. Sounds like a win-win to me!darkspineslayer
I wish SCEA was so generous. If not for the 999 praise I heard from several gamespoters, I would have passed on the series completly.

Can i play VLR without playing 999? I mean, i know it would probably add to the experience but is it necessary? Will I be completely lost in the story? Playing 999 is not an option for me as I dont have a ds or 3ds, and Im not into piracy.

#12 Posted by darkspineslayer (19493 posts) -

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="Articuno76"]How about that? The Japanese version of the game is free on PS+. The Japanese store is also currently offering a free 15-day trial for the PS+ service. I get to play the game I wanted to for free and the developer/publisher is still indirectly supported through PS+. Sounds like a win-win to me!Carving_a_GSAU

Can i play VLR without playing 999? I mean, i know it would probably add to the experience but is it necessary? Will I be completely lost in the story? Playing 999 is not an option for me as I dont have a ds or 3ds, and Im not into piracy.

You can play the whole game without a problem, right until the ending. The ending will be confusing without at least reading up on the plot of 999, but other than that, it simply adds weight to the experience. What I ended up doing was playing a good chunk of VLR, buying 999 off amazon, then beating that before continuing with VLR. If you really have no intention of buying a DS, I suggest reading up on the plot, but otherwise go for it. It's an amazing game either way
#14 Posted by hiraganamoji (6 posts) -
more incentive to learn Japanese.. games I started learning Japanese by memorizing katakana and hiragana about two years ago. I have forgotten a lot of its but I am getting back into it. I was hoping to learn a little conversational Japanese and about 1000 kanji. Enough to play games, watch a little Anime and enjoy trips to Japan :) http://mojimaster.com/learn-japanese