VGA Cable for the PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kithooton (92 posts) -

Really need to know if there is an offical VGA cable like the one you can buy for the Xbox360.

Really dont want to buy a HDTV thats not doing HD. A PC monitor can do True HD and its Cheaper

BenQ FP241W 24" Widescreen HDMI/HDCP LCD HD Monitor

http://www.overclockers.co.uk

£634

#2 Posted by rebirthofman (629 posts) -
Why would you want to use VGA when the monitor takes HDMI? HDMI is better then VGA.
#3 Posted by Miguel16 (6065 posts) -
yea use hdmi
#4 Posted by kithooton (92 posts) -

Yeah i understand this monitor uses hdmi, and yes its better,

but lets say the monitor only had VGA, is there a cable out there that the PS3 uses VGA?

yes or no?

#5 Posted by emitsu97 (10720 posts) -
Nope.
#6 Posted by kithooton (92 posts) -
oh dear, well i hope they do one day then?
#7 Posted by emitsu97 (10720 posts) -
Why do you want a VGA cable anyway?  Do you not want to use the HDMI port on your PS3?  There are HDMI to DVI cables which would utilize the DVI(HDCP) port on that monitor.
#8 Posted by kithooton (92 posts) -

Well at the mo, i have a monitor that only uses VGA, got an Xbox360 that uses VGA, i want a PS3, i just want to save money on the screen, so i was wondering if theres a cable for the PS3 for VGA

#9 Posted by emitsu97 (10720 posts) -
Ah I see, I was in the same position at launch. A Multiout VGA cable would do the trick but , fair warning, once you connect a cable to the HDMI port on the PS3, the receiving display is required to be HDCP compliant. Just something to keep in mind.
If you want a bigger monitor you can check out the 22" models.  They're way cheaper than the newer 24" and some still come with HDMI ports as well as DVI with HDCP.
#10 Posted by kithooton (92 posts) -

HDCP? what this? mso you saying i can but i have to rewire things around?

i thought that anythin below a 24"ich monitor isn't HD i.e 1080p?

thank you for your advise

#11 Posted by Miguel16 (6065 posts) -
nope...u can use dvi tho...if u have hdcp
#12 Posted by subrosian (14215 posts) -
1. HD starts at 1280x720 - the resolution most PS3 games are at. As far as "trueHD" is concerned, that's between you and a lot of marketing hype to decide. If you can't afford the extra $400 to gain 2" and increase you resolution, then don't.

2. HDCP is a new form of content protection for HD-materials. Make sure the widescreen monitor you buy has HDCP-compliant DVI ports, or you'll be in quite a bit of trouble. Either that, or buy a 720p HDTV for $500 and you'll have a 27" screen that you can enjoy playing your PS3 / 360 on - one that will have a nice HDMI port for your PS3 to utilize.