This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JohnHatler (50 posts) -
I vacuum my PS3 about once a month. I get alot of dust around the usb ports, card readers, and optical port. Then I always do the fan test and vacuum it again.
#2 Posted by -Hoax- (5331 posts) -
Havnt done it in a while but yes i vacuum my PS3 low power of course then wipe off all the dust from the USB ports etc
#3 Posted by ceriousgamer (1698 posts) -
vacuums can create a static charge that can damage the circuitry of your PS3.
#4 Posted by Jakesta7 (2421 posts) -
Sony says its ok to vacuum PS3 but says do not hav something tht blows air in
#5 Posted by Jakesta7 (2421 posts) -
I vacuum my PS3 about once a month. I get alot of dust around the usb ports, card readers, and optical port. Then I always do the fan test and vacuum it again.JohnHatler
Fan test is bad for ur PS3, just wat ive heard, i think Sony doesnt reccomend it
#6 Posted by psyum (3268 posts) -
i just clean the outside :( i have mine in a very clean spot :)
#7 Posted by 1uP_OnYou (3183 posts) -
I just use windex on a paper towel and wipe down the Ps3 and it's surrounding area.
#8 Posted by machiavell8x8 (1399 posts) -
Sony says its ok to vacuum PS3 but says do not hav something tht blows air inJakesta7
pics or it didn't happen
#9 Posted by G-Singh_19 (87 posts) -
I wouldnt do that because something could go wrong.......Thats why I clean everything around my PS3 like the T.V, the spot were it sits on, and the outside of the PS3.After I am done playing I also put a cloth on it so no dust gets in it???
#10 Posted by agentzero23 (921 posts) -

i vacuum it also:D

I want to make sure that after all the hours of playing and the dust getting in doesn't eventually kill it

Plus for better ventilation for the fans

I always turn off my PS3 and unplug it when I vacuum it

#11 Posted by hillelslovak (9211 posts) -
I unplug it completely then use a mini vac on the whole thing lightly about twice a month.
#12 Posted by Jakesta7 (2421 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jakesta7"]Sony says its ok to vacuum PS3 but says do not hav something tht blows air inmachiavell8x8
pics or it didn't happen

Here u go then!

Attempt to vacuum the vents on the PLAYSTATION 3. Do not used compressed air or blow air into the system as that may cause damage to the system. The site is too long (over 80 charcaters) so it wont let me put it, but if u go to Playstation.com, go to PS3, then Support and then type in "Power Problem Trouble Shooting" and click on"system makes noises (click here)" and its the 5th bullet down!!

More on the safety of ur PS3:go to "Cleaning and Matinence"

#13 Posted by mike4realz (2571 posts) -
i don't have a vaccum i use compress air
#14 Posted by Treflis (11670 posts) -
A piece of cloth to take waway the dust is all I need to keep mine happy and shiny.
#15 Posted by Vyse_Legends (9387 posts) -
I use one of those Swiffer duster things.:P
#16 Posted by swazidoughman (3521 posts) -

I use a duster, Lens cleaner, a high quality lens cloth, Co2, and a vaccum.

All because sony wanted to make it shiny and not matte.

#17 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -
Stupid dust!!! You know dust comes from space right? I should start vacuuming my PS3 when it gets fix'd.
#18 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -
Hey I've never cleaned my ps3 :P. what should I use? (low power vacuum ?)
#19 Posted by Wild_Card (4034 posts) -
vacuums can create a static charge that can damage the circuitry of your PS3.ceriousgamer
if you have a plastic vacume hose attatchment like 99% of vac's then there is no chance of this as plastic does not conduct electricity.just unpug the system, turn off the back power switch and vac out the dust. And yes compressed air is not the best idea.it scatters dust around inside the system as well as can create condensation.
#20 Posted by havokmaster (4304 posts) -
I use a hoover with a bit of cloth over the hose just to protect the PS3.
#21 Posted by Jakesta7 (2421 posts) -
Hey I've never cleaned my ps3 :P. what should I use? (low power vacuum ?)lbjkurono23
Sony recommends low power plastic vacuum. DO NOT use compressed air
#22 Posted by Sk8ter_213 (4573 posts) -
I have an air compressor in my garage, i use that to blow the dust out of my PS3's once a month. Much better than the vacuum method :P
#23 Posted by Jakesta7 (2421 posts) -
I have an air compressor in my garage, i use that to blow the dust out of my PS3's once a month. Much better than the vacuum method :PSk8ter_213
Ok but sony says tht air compressors are bad to use on a ps3, just to let u kno so ur ps3 stays in good condition
#24 Posted by JoKeR_421 (8920 posts) -
usually i read the manual and see wat i can do or how i can clean an electronic before i do so. anyways since december 2006, i been vacuuming my ps3 since then, i make sure it not plugged and i vacuum the vents and usb ports and w.e else i can, then after 30min i plug it back in and wait few min then turn it on and (knock on wood) its been workin as a charm since then. ANOTHER THING i found out is, my ps3 makes alot of noise once a month thats when i know its dusty and vents are clogged, cuz when i vacuum it it runs so silently for along time and no matter how many hrs and how many days i put it on folding i swear i barely even notice it being on sometimes. thats how quiet it is lol
#25 Posted by ivitaminwater (77 posts) -
I vacuum my PS3 about once a month. I get alot of dust around the usb ports, card readers, and optical port. Then I always do the fan test and vacuum it again.JohnHatler
lol. I just wipe it with a paper towel around every 2 months or so.
#26 Posted by jcopp72 (5341 posts) -
Sony says fan test is bad for PS3 on all models exept 40 gig i think it is.
#27 Posted by Kill_ZONE2 (863 posts) -
@jcopp 40 gb is now the 80 gb I vacuum using a VERY low powered one. Then after that i get a cloth and swipe all the dust off the cover and well... pretty much anywhere the cloth can go!! Haha, only do this once a month though. I have a friend who does it every week!!!
#28 Posted by ez_moneymaker (1211 posts) -
Sony says in the manual u can use a low power vac. Saw it yesterday, and no im not posting a pic cuz u can look that up yourselves if u dont believe me.
#29 Posted by SoNin360 (5608 posts) -
what's the fan test?
#30 Posted by bloodshot191 (269 posts) -
well i have a dog and cat who shed alot so i usualy vacuum once a week so i also vacuum my ps3 at the same time but can some one tell me what a fan test is?
#31 Posted by jcopp72 (5341 posts) -
@Kill_ZONE2 their is still a 40gb system out their that people are useing just because its not for sale doesnt mean that noone has it
#32 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -
[QUOTE="mike4realz"]i don't have a vaccum i use compress air

Me too. It's funny to see all the dust fly out the million vent holes. :P I live in the country so it's extra dusty.