Using compressed air on my PS3? Please anwser!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cory_himself (23 posts) -

OK, my room collects a lot of dust and I've noticed my PS3 has been freezing once and a while recently, it is okay to go to a computer store and buy one of those little cans of compressed air people use on their keyboards/harddrives and spray the back of my PS3 lightly? Will it make a difference or harm my PS3 in any way? Thanks!

#2 Posted by DataDream (3195 posts) -

It won't hurt your console at all and can actually help improve air flow keeping th console cooler. Clean the dust out occasionally - and using the canned air is a good way to do it.

Whatever is safe for a PC is safe for a PS3 (or any other console for that matter).

Try and dust the unit regularly to avoid the build up occurring in the first place. My PS3 has no dust and used to freeze occasionally too untill I added cooling - but that is a secondary thought and may not be neccessary for you.

#3 Posted by motherboop (2382 posts) -
Alot of people are going to tell you it's bad for your system, but if you use it right, it's perfectly fine. Hold the can upright, a little bit aways from your cnsole, and stay away from the openings/vents. I use compressed air at times, but usually just use dirty laundry or whatever is laying around to wipe it down once a week or so. I keep mine looking good.
#4 Posted by Amir29 (822 posts) -
I would recommend a handheld vaccuum instead of compressed air. Though compressed air cans will not damage your system, it's important to note that dust will. You may blow dust INTO your PS3. Dust has a negative charge and can be harmful if it enters the system. Instead of risking blowing the dust into the system (where you will no longer be able to extract it without disassembling your system, use a vaccuum to get rid of the dust entirely.
#5 Posted by Eyes_of_Ice (50 posts) -
So are we talking about cleaning the dust off the outside of the system or the stuff that gets built up inside the system? I was wondering if there is a safe efficient way of getting the dust out of the INSIDE without actually opening it up?
#6 Posted by TheTenth10 (3031 posts) -
so the air can is for the outside? why not use an anti static cloth?
#7 Posted by ShinjiEx (198 posts) -

Hm not really could be worse blowing dust further into the system and just spreading the dust around

Your better off using a vacum actually

Cheap hadheld vacs go for about $30 or less

#8 Posted by BH14 (1660 posts) -

OK, my room collects a lot of dust and I've noticed my PS3 has been freezing once and a while recently, it is okay to go to a computer store and buy one of those little cans of compressed air people use on their keyboards/harddrives and spray the back of my PS3 lightly? Will it make a difference or harm my PS3 in any way? Thanks!

cory_himself

Why would blowing dust further into your ps3 help your ps3? Just vacuum the vents once in a while and wipe your PS3 down. Vacuum takes the dust out while those compressed air cans just shoot the dust further into your PS3.

#9 Posted by TheDarkWolf86 (217 posts) -

I agree with you 100% The use of a small vacuum is your best choice. The use of compressed air will help the outside of your system greatly!

I would recommend a handheld vaccuum instead of compressed air. Though compressed air cans will not damage your system, it's important to note that dust will. You may blow dust INTO your PS3. Dust has a negative charge and can be harmful if it enters the system. Instead of risking blowing the dust into the system (where you will no longer be able to extract it without disassembling your system, use a vaccuum to get rid of the dust entirely.Amir29

#10 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Use a vaccuum instead. Pull the dust out instead of blowing it further in. I vaccuum my machine once a month and make sure it's got an airgap under it by placing the feet on a few unused DVD cases (at least one inch) and exposing as much of the underside of the console to the air (because all the heat syncs are on the underside), it never even begins to get warm even when left on for DAYS or playing a CPU-hog like "LA Noire". My slim has never hiccupped, frozen, or othrwise malfunctioned in years of constant use.

:)

I am a professional audio technician, and I would never blow dust further into a machine. Do as you like, but I would not use compressed air. It's better than not doing anything, but far from what you want to do under optimal circumstances. My opinion, and not law. But in 25 years of working, such practice has kept all of my PA gear working perfectly (including laptops used for system control).

Your choice. Just thought I would share what I have had a lot of success doing.

:)