This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

I am currently playing through some PS3 exclusives and I have just started Uncharted - Drake's Fortune and well I'm not really enjoying it.

I thought it was going to be about treasure hunting but so far all I've done is kill hundreds and hundreds of men while lurching from one cut scene to another. More like a mass murder simulator than anything.

Do you think it would be worth me going on to the second and third game in this case? Do they do things differently and improve on the first or is it a matter of I don't like the first so the second and third probably won't be my thing either?

It is just I don't want to waste money on them when I could be playing something else. Any input would be appreciated.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

If you want a game about treasure hunting you should black AC Black flag.

Uncharted 2 is worth a purchase.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-58270bc086e0d

@marcheegsr: Yeah I played Black Flag. I found the general chests to be of the standard tedious Ubisoft style but the treasure you found where you actually needed to search for it using the x marks the spot sketches were really fun.

Like this is supposed to be Nathan Drake the treasure hunter but for the entire game so far (which I'm at about half way I think) all I've done is run away from enemies on this island by gunning my way through them. I thought it was going to be different to what it is. I sure wasn't expecting it to be so tedious considering how much hype the series has received.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The entire Uncharted Series is more shooter than anything else, try the previous 3 Tomb Raider games before the Reboot. Tomb Raider; Legend, Anniversary and Underworld.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

Yeah Uncharted isn't that type of game... But Uncharted 2 is epic!

sixringz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sixringz1
Member since 2004 • 1116 Posts

I'm kind of confused here. This series has been around for 7 yrs. there have been countless videos and posts on this series. I'm confused as to how you didn't know what you were getting into. With that being said, if you don't like the first one there's no need to play the rest. Sure 2 is a superior game but the foundation and template is the same

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Dannystaples14 said:

I am currently playing through some PS3 exclusives and I have just started Uncharted - Drake's Fortune and well I'm not really enjoying it.

I thought it was going to be about treasure hunting but so far all I've done is kill hundreds and hundreds of men while lurching from one cut scene to another. More like a mass murder simulator than anything.

Do you think it would be worth me going on to the second and third game in this case? Do they do things differently and improve on the first or is it a matter of I don't like the first so the second and third probably won't be my thing either?

It is just I don't want to waste money on them when I could be playing something else. Any input would be appreciated.

That was a decent game, but Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 are way better, especially Uncharted 2.

My gaming experience with this franchise? I got a Platinum in all three Naughty Dog Uncharted games.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#8  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@Dannystaples14 said:

I honestly thought #1 is the best one out of the series. But all of them are severely overrated. They are decent games, but not marvels like everyone makes them out to be. And the shooting mechanics are horrendous in #3. They changed them for the worse by a lot. The games are about finding 1 treasure, but having an adventure along the way. It's not a treasure looting game by any means. I personally would give 1 and 2 a 7/10, and 3 a 5/10 just for poor gameplay alone.

Rogue Legacy is an amazing game and you get tons of treasure and loot.

And honestly, God of War 3 is the best playstation 3 exclusive by a large margin. If you havent played it, you are missing out.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#9 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Uncharted games are shooting most of the time and whilst they do have some awesome set pieces espically 2 maybe they aren't your cup of tea.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't get why people always complain about killing a bunch of enemies in the Uncharted games. The Uncharted games are third-person shooters when it really comes down to it. Treasure hunting is generally a part of the stories, which by the way are great, along with the characters. Yeah, you collect little treasures along the way, but it's not an open world game to explore and everything. I find the games very entertaining and fun to play. Uncharted 2 and 3 are more action-packed and over-the-top, but I guess if you genuinely don't like the first game, you wouldn't really like the others, although I think they're better.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

The Uncharted games are basically third person shooters with some platforming, and a little find the hidden items mixed in. If you aren't liking the first game. You will probably not like the second or third. It's basically more of the same. Different stories, different locations, but basically the same mechanics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll give the series a rest then in this case. I went in blind as I do most games since I don't see the point in knowing too much about a game before I go in and it wasn't my cup of tea. I just felt at first glance it was going to be different to what it is. Oh well, plenty of other Playstation Exclusives to get through still thanks again.

@ristactionjakso I love Rogue Legacy. I've gotten through most of NG+ so far but I'm a bit burned out on it at the moment so having a break. Thanks for the input, God of War is on my list but I can only play one at a time. I only got a PS3 last month and I've played The Last of Us and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune so far.

One thing I can say is I have realised Playstation fans really do spout a load of drivel about their games. The Last of Us has been shown as a masterpiece and yet while the story was great most of the game in general was really underwhelming to me, some gameplay elements really ripped me out of the immersion. Having played two Naughty Dog games now one thing I can say is they really need to work on their combat mechanics.

Landing headshots from seven hundred feet away with a handgun is ridiculous, missing one from point blank range is also stupid. There just needs to be something in the middle. Frustrating in both cases, not precise enough to be skilful and not imprecise enough to give you a sense of realism.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Dannystaples14

They should just get rid of the damn weapon sway, inbetween using a PS3 Controller Thumb Sticks and Clickers who bob their heads back and forth, couple with a two head shot minimum makes the game annoying enough already, the weapon sway was just unnecessary.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SolidTy

First I want to state I'm not trying to attack, but I was prompted by your post above which had generalizations that needed to be addressed.

Got a 2006 launched PS3 a month ago in 2014? I'm not sure any games will live up to old HYPE at this point. Surprise, surprise...you don't fancy TLOU or Uncharted. Maybe you should have stuck with your gut and never got the PS3 machine since it seems like you've made up your mind. It seems like you are letting HYPE affect your scores, and that should NEVER affect how you rate a game. That's not a fair way to approach a product. You are immediately going to be critical of everything from the moment you boot up the movie, tv show, or in the case game. You gave TLOU a "7" and you blamed the HYPE in the title of your review ("So SO much hype, it just couldn't live up to it"). When I played The Last of Us, GeoW (Gears of War), Halo, Fable, God of War, Zelda, or Uncharted I wasn't dealing with any HYPE. There was nothing to live up to so I got to formulate my own opinion instead of being overly critical on the games. I didn't also have a mentality that it was the fans of a particular console that colored my opinions. It's also possible you are playing the wrong uncharted game, since the first one was the weakest as Naughty Dog were working on creating the game engine whilst crafting the first game simultaneously. Uncharted 2 was so much better as they got to merely refine their engine and concentrate on the game. You can even check at Metacritic as U2 was 95+. I can tell you Uncharted 2 is a hell of a game in comparison to 2007's old Uncharted game.

You cut games slack on the other system you've been playing for years, even recommending lower scoring games to users like Dead Rising, Crackdown, Saints Row 1, and even Alan Wake. I own all those games too, but I never let the HYPE affect my judgement on any of these games. It is what it is. Maybe you would have felt differently about Uncharted back in 2007, but you are playing it in 2014. You played GeoW back in 2006, imagine someone playing that game today and giving it a lower score and calling out the fans of the console for overrating the game. You love Fable, Halo, GeoW...but you don't like Naughty Dog so far. It's what I'm kinda of detecting.

My comments above are based on when you said: "One thing I can say is I have realised Playstation fans really do spout a load of drivel about their games". You played two games and now you are telling everyone here that you realized PS fans spout drivel. I bought a 360 back at launch 2005, a Wii in launch 2006, and a PS3 at launch 2006. That way I can play the games and not retroactively play games and blame fans of particular machines for spouting drivel years later. I can imagine some guy buying a 360 a month ago and posting that he played 2006's GeoW1 (You gave a 10) and 2007's Halo 3 (You gave a 10) and they weren't that all that good compared to the HYPE and Xbox fanboys spout a load of drivel. It would be the same idea, he got the machine years later and is allowing HYPE to aggravate his enjoyment of the older games. I used those games because you have quite a few 10's in your reviews and they went to Xbox exclusive games and you played those games in the appropriate years, just to sort of use an example. If I recall, you did enjoy the PS1 before the Xbox existed, but once the Xbox was created you moved to that brand. I think you spoke on that years ago.

As far as games to check out once you eliminate this whole HYPE thing that could ruin every game ever:

God Of War III, Metal Gear Solid 4, Demon's Souls, LittleBigPlanet 1/2, Infamous 1/2, Ni No Kuni, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone 2/3, Resistance 1-3, Heavy Rain/Beyond Two Souls, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Journey, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Motorstorm games, Gran Turismo games, and Rachet and Clank: A Crack in Time/Tools of Destruction are highly recommended. I fear though you might already have your mind made up and won't enjoy these games having skipped the PS3 from 2006-2014 and now playing catch up.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

The first one was way too much shooting for me aswell. It was less in 2 and 3 with 3 being the best mix.

I would have liked more trivias and everything aswell. While I like the games, I never got the huge hype for them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-58270bc086e0d

@SolidTy: I'm not letting hype sway anything, hype is merely a comparison. I bought The Last of Us because everyone says it is the greatest game ever. I got Uncharted because many great things have been said about the series. I personally had some issues with both for my own reasons. The only thing I can say is Playstation fans really do like to blow the praise out of their ass, that is merely my view.

Again my review of The Last of Us covered most of the game from the gameplay mechanics to the story. The hype was merely a starting point. You can't play a game like The Last of Us and not hear any of the hype. People call it a master piece. It sure isn't that. It was a good story. I was pointing out that everyone said it was fantastic and yet it had many issues. Issues which I pointed out in their own right.

Why should I overlook those issues simply because everyone else can? I am critical of every game I play whether it is hyped or not. I went out and bought Skyrim day one because of how much I loved Oblivion and was totally disappointed. Not because of the hype because this was before the hype even started it was because I didn't like it for my own reasons. You can have a look at that review as well if you like.

It might be true that playing catch up may have ruined my experience of the games. It is highly possible. But I will never buy both consoles, and as far as I'm concerned a good game stands the test of time. I played Half Life for the first time this year and loved it. I play Uncharted after it has only came out in 2007 and I don't like it. Maybe they should make better games instead? It would only be the same with Gears or something on Xbox's side. I don't even want to replay Gears any more and I loved that the first time I played it. A bad game is a bad game.

@soethi6: Yeah that is what I mean. What I think I will do is have a break and play something else. I've wanted to play Beyond Two Souls for a while so will probably get that next and then later I'll have a crack at the second game and see what I think. Otherwise the negative views I have for the first one might ruin my experience in the second and that would be a shame. I know what to expect more as well so it won't be as hard a pill to swallow as well. I'll just think of it as a Gears spin off and go from there, haha.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#17 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Yeah Uncharted is pretty overrated. Gears is better by a mile imo and that's coming from a huge Sony fan. The formula for all the Uncharted games are so stale. It's just isn't fun. The characters and stories are good but it really doesn't redeem the overall quality of the game. I mean if the puzzles were at least half as good as the one made in Zeldas then I might be able to enjoy it more but nah. Shooting mechanics also killed the series for me. Here's praying that Neil will clean up the series with the 4th installment.

Enter an area ---> Jump on some ledge/hop around -----> Solve terribly designed puzzle ----> Kill people/clear area -----> Enter another area (rinse repeat)

*bolded are what destroyed the series for me

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

@sixringz1 said:

I'm kind of confused here. This series has been around for 7 yrs. there have been countless videos and posts on this series. I'm confused as to how you didn't know what you were getting into. With that being said, if you don't like the first one there's no need to play the rest. Sure 2 is a superior game but the foundation and template is the same

this

BatladyMia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BatladyMia
Member since 2014 • 26 Posts

I can see why you wouldn't enjoy it with your expectations. It's shooting and more shooting-- if you're not a fan of that you won't get too far in the series.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy

@Dannystaples14: Fair enough.

@batladymia said:

I can see why you wouldn't enjoy it with your expectations. It's shooting and more shooting-- if you're not a fan of that you won't get too far in the series.

He loved GeoW (rated a 10/10) which was shooting and more shooting though, but it's more of his expectations than the game-play style shooting type.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#21 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@Dannystaples14 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I'll give the series a rest then in this case. I went in blind as I do most games since I don't see the point in knowing too much about a game before I go in and it wasn't my cup of tea. I just felt at first glance it was going to be different to what it is. Oh well, plenty of other Playstation Exclusives to get through still thanks again.

@ristactionjakso I love Rogue Legacy. I've gotten through most of NG+ so far but I'm a bit burned out on it at the moment so having a break. Thanks for the input, God of War is on my list but I can only play one at a time. I only got a PS3 last month and I've played The Last of Us and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune so far.

One thing I can say is I have realised Playstation fans really do spout a load of drivel about their games. The Last of Us has been shown as a masterpiece and yet while the story was great most of the game in general was really underwhelming to me, some gameplay elements really ripped me out of the immersion. Having played two Naughty Dog games now one thing I can say is they really need to work on their combat mechanics.

Landing headshots from seven hundred feet away with a handgun is ridiculous, missing one from point blank range is also stupid. There just needs to be something in the middle. Frustrating in both cases, not precise enough to be skilful and not imprecise enough to give you a sense of realism.

Ya, I'm a Sony fan. Just not to the point of being blind. Last of Us is miles better than Uncharted, but still not the masterpiece everyone says it is (my opinion). Uncharted is the most overrated Sony game period. It's decent, but not a masterpiece like everyone says it is. And like I said, U3 has horrid shooting mechanics.

But back on GoW. #1 was decent about 7/10 for me, #2 is better 8/10 for me, #3 is a blast and so gruesome it deserves a 10/10 everything is improved by miles in #3. Chains of Olympus is decent 7/10, and Ghost of Sparta is amazing 9/10. Ascension isn't worth $5. It sucks, don't buy it. So just know, GoW series does get better with each game, minus Ascension.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

Uncharted is not a series about treasure hunting, it's a series about what happen's when treasure hunting goes bad. It's more about the consequences Nathan Drake and his associates must deal with because of his tragic choices in business partners. Drake is scoundrel who likes to make deals with dangerous people. You don't really play that series for the treasure or the shooting but for the interesting people you get to hang out with and/or face off against.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Uncharted is about the story, and get over the whole mass murder, :S every single game your mostly killing something for nothing, the Uncharted series is all about the story, stick with it and it's so worth it, but if you don't like the killing then go play cards or something, it doesnt say anywhere about this being a treasuring hunting game but the fact is there on the island to find treasure and so are the rebels, and i actually found the shooting elements pretty fun no matter how generic you think it is, no one ever goes on about this back in the day when that's what most games was, just shoot things, gears of war is pretty much kill everything on screen and thats it, at least Uncharted has some platformer gameplay. what makes Uncharted amazing is the character development and chemistry on screen, play it for the story and your'll get amazing emotional responses esp once you get to the end, i'd keep playing it's so worth it, and then play 2 then come back to us and tell me it wasn't worth it.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

Like I said, I like it. I really enjoyed playing the series twice. But it is not a 10/10 game. More 8/10. It wasn't a system seller for me aswell. Not in the same category like Halo or God of War.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@bezza2011

All the More reason it shouldve been a movie. A movie couldve done that much much better.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#26 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

@Dannystaples14 said:

If you are going to play GOW I advise you get the Collection because the game is a trilogy and whilst number 1 has some tough sections it is worth it sticking through.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bezza2011

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@bezza2011

All the More reason it shouldve been a movie. A movie couldve done that much much better.

I don't think a movie could capture it like a game can, I think the Uncharted series is better than anything out there to be quite honest story and gameplay wise.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu

@bezza2011

Yeah maybe... But its not better than anything out there StoryTELLING wise.

Narrative is just as important as plot and curscenes are not a relevant plot delivery system for a video game.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bezza2011

@Lulu_Lulu: Maybe not but what I got out of that game, was great on screen chemistry and character development, and an emotional connection it gave me a reason to continue and that's what i personally want out of a game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu

@bezza2011

Hey I want boobs in my games... Doesn't make it the way to go.

Some people want pictyres in their books, that defeats the purpose of reading.

All the more reason to just let Uncharted be what its trying to be... A movie...

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

I've only played Uncharted 2, but it's only half decent mechanics come from the many many shoot outs it has. Everything else is throw away "gameplay" portions that are only there because of the story and have really no point whatsoever (lots of following NPCs, on rails climbing, and slowly walking places).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

Uncharted 2 was an amazing game! Push through it. It's not a treasure hunter game. Focus more on the story than anything else.