Turn Based RPG for PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JFVJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JFVJ
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hi all, i am looking for a turned based RPG for PS3. I LOVED Final Fantasy X and Dragon Quest VIII and was looking for something like that. I know there are graet games like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect or Dark Souls, but all these are more action oriented rpgs. Even Final Fantasy Xiii is not has turned based as i would like. Am i missing any rpgs like that for PS3?
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Hi all, i am looking for a turned based RPG for PS3. I LOVED Final Fantasy X and Dragon Quest VIII and was looking for something like that. I know there are graet games like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect or Dark Souls, but all these are more action oriented rpgs. Even Final Fantasy Xiii is not has turned based as i would like. Am i missing any rpgs like that for PS3?JFVJ

13 is about as turn based as it gets, its the same basic system that Final Fantasy 7-10 uses, except its faster paced and you switch classes mid battle.

Resonance of Fate is turn based, but really hard.

Eternal Sonata is turn based.

Tales of Graces is "Kinda sorta" You have to let your "CC" build up before you can attack.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Hi all, i am looking for a turned based RPG for PS3. I LOVED Final Fantasy X and Dragon Quest VIII and was looking for something like that. I know there are graet games like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect or Dark Souls, but all these are more action oriented rpgs. Even Final Fantasy Xiii is not has turned based as i would like. Am i missing any rpgs like that for PS3?JFVJ

Hmmm...

Valkyria Chronicles as well, but it's a strategy rpg. Can't say I know much of them...

I'm more here to warn you; there's Cross Edge and other cheap trashy rpgs but I'd stay far away from them (Check Gamespots page on Cross Edge, click the company names, NIS America and stay far away from every game listed there).

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts

[QUOTE="JFVJ"]Hi all, i am looking for a turned based RPG for PS3. I LOVED Final Fantasy X and Dragon Quest VIII and was looking for something like that. I know there are graet games like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect or Dark Souls, but all these are more action oriented rpgs. Even Final Fantasy Xiii is not has turned based as i would like. Am i missing any rpgs like that for PS3?xWoW_Rougex

Hmmm...

Valkyria Chronicles as well, but it's a strategy rpg. Can't say I know much of them...

I'm more here to warn you; there's Cross Edge and other cheap trashy rpgs but I'd stay far away from them (Check Gamespots page on Cross Edge, click the company names, NIS America and stay far away from every game listed there).

Add Disgaea 3 and 4 along with the Atetlier series, also try Tales of Graces, like the guy above said, you need to plan out your attacks, and its fun.
IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
Lost Odyssey is exactly what you are looking for, but sadly it's not on PS3. FF13 is your best bet.
Avatar image for finalserenade75
finalserenade75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 finalserenade75
Member since 2009 • 2162 Posts

Disgaea and Atelier series are the only ones I could think of. Atelier Meruru is coming out in few months if you want to check it out, but it's not very battle-oriented.

JFVJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JFVJ
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Guess for now i will try valkyria chronicles and Final Fantasy XIII. They have high scores so should be good. thanks for all the suggestions
Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="JFVJ"]Hi all, i am looking for a turned based RPG for PS3. I LOVED Final Fantasy X and Dragon Quest VIII and was looking for something like that. I know there are graet games like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect or Dark Souls, but all these are more action oriented rpgs. Even Final Fantasy Xiii is not has turned based as i would like. Am i missing any rpgs like that for PS3?xWoW_Rougex

Hmmm...

Dismissing an entire company because of one game? This is a horrible advice and I'd advise you not to listen to this guy. NISA is a great company with great RPGs, just look at Disgaea.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

Enchanted arms is average, interesting is in combat you have a grid and each attack has a pattern covering several squares, you use golems as teammates that you find on the way, some have to be fought and there's a big dungeon to do as new game +

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 k_ozz
Member since 2007 • 1088 Posts

Valkyrie Chronicles, Resonance of Fate.. Two of the best turn based RPG with one of the most innovative combat mechanics... You should pick them up

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

[QUOTE="JFVJ"]Hi all, i am looking for a turned based RPG for PS3. I LOVED Final Fantasy X and Dragon Quest VIII and was looking for something like that. I know there are graet games like Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect or Dark Souls, but all these are more action oriented rpgs. Even Final Fantasy Xiii is not has turned based as i would like. Am i missing any rpgs like that for PS3?Victorious_Fize

Dismissing an entire company because of one game? This is a horrible advice and I'd advise you not to listen to this guy. NISA is a great company with great RPGs, just look at Disgaea.

No, they are horrible. They produce cheap and mediocre anime jrpgs. They look crap, the environment is crap, everything is crap. They don't bother with cutscenes. Example: http://www.gamespot.com/hyperdimension-neptunia/images/1429174/ You'd at least expect an anime cutscenes from an anime styled game this generation but nope, still picture weeh!

Let's look at the PS3 games:
Cross Egde - Already mentioned it sucks.
Trinity Universe - more crap from these. The 6.2 metacritic score agrees with me
Last Rebellion - 4.4 metacritic score and a 3~ from Gamespot. Do I need to say more?
Hyperdimension Neptunia - Eww... EWWW. Also; Metacritic score of 45. Scored 3.0 by Gamespot.
Ar Tonelic Qoga - Given it's score and the way it looks, I think I can rather correctly assume this isn't much of a quality rpg either.
The only exception may be the Atelier Totori game but given this track record, I am not gonna waste any money or time finding out.

At last we have Disgaea. Disgaea eh... They've really changed though all these years eh? Not. Four titles and they are so similar. You'd think Disgaea 4 maybe would give us some nice anime sty led cutscenes or maybe they'd make the "town" bigger and more exciting or anything but nope. People hating on CoD and stuff for being the same but Disgaea is even worse. It's pretty much the same game except different appearances and some changes to the combat. I am rather against games that don't try to at least even come close to properly utilize this generation's console strength, side scrollers indie for example but at least they are cheap. Charging full price for these games??? It's a pure cash grab and nothing else.

These NIS games are awful and they are exactly what's wrong with this generations jrpgs. They focus mostly on combat, customization and grinding, and everything else feels budgety and it feels nothing more than attempts to make a quick buck. Cross Edges horrible fps in combat is further proof of that. How on earth do you even end up with fps drops in a game like that? I mean really?

Personally I have learnt my lesson already, I'll never be touching another game from that crappy company ever again.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
NIS only does trun based and they are all mostly great sadly off american reviewers now days they get bad reviews but the games are great
Bowelss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bowelss
Member since 2012 • 39 Posts

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't consider Graces F turn based. Playing on the higher difficulties especially, it's fast paced (not random button smashing, though) action... you do need to plan out your attacks/strategy.

That being said, it might have the best combat system on a controller ever for me. Incredibly fun and takes a lot of skill/practice to really master (not really what the TC asked for, though).

Nightowl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nightowl99
Member since 2011 • 220 Posts

As a Final Fantasy fan myself, there really isn't a whole lot of turn based RPG's out at the moment, but I am really enjoying Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It's not turn based, but it is really addicting. I'd at least check it out.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
Not much to really recommend sadly.. I grew up on turn based RPGs and this generation they are very few and their quality is pretty low. Think of it as you wish, FFXIII, Valkyria Chronicles and Eternal Sonata are my only recommendation. FFX HD is on its way, Ni No Kuni is my huge want it list and hopefully one day we see the light of FFvsXIII. Jrpgs in general are not even close to PS1 and PS2 era. At least not for me. Shooters took over this generation.. at least we still have many diverse and quality games to play with. One of the reasons I continue to enjoy PS3. ;)
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]xWoW_Rougex

No, they are horrible. They produce cheap and mediocre anime jrpgs. They look crap, the environment is crap, everything is crap. They don't bother with cutscenes. Example: http://www.gamespot.com/hyperdimension-neptunia/images/1429174/ You'd at least expect an anime cutscenes from an anime styled game this generation but nope, still picture weeh!Let's look at the PS3 games:Cross Egde - Already mentioned it sucks.Trinity Universe - more crap from these. The 6.2 metacritic score agrees with meLast Rebellion - 4.4 metacritic score and a 3~ from Gamespot. Do I need to say more?Hyperdimension Neptunia - Eww... EWWW. Also; Metacritic score of 45. Scored 3.0 by Gamespot.Ar Tonelic Qoga - Given it's score and the way it looks, I think I can rather correctly assume this isn't much of a quality rpg either.The only exception may be the Atelier Totori game but given this track record, I am not gonna waste any money or time finding out.At last we have Disgaea. Disgaea eh... They've really changed though all these years eh? Not. Four titles and they are so similar. You'd think Disgaea 4 maybe would give us some nice anime sty led cutscenes or maybe they'd make the "town" bigger and more exciting or anything but nope. People hating on CoD and stuff for being the same but Disgaea is even worse. It's pretty much the same game except different appearances and some changes to the combat. I am rather against games that don't try to at least even come close to properly utilize this generation's console strength, side scrollers indie for example but at least they are cheap. Charging full price for these games??? It's a pure cash grab and nothing else.These NIS games are awful and they are exactly what's wrong with this generations jrpgs. They focus mostly on combat, customization and grinding, and everything else feels budgety and it feels nothing more than attempts to make a quick buck. Cross Edges horrible fps in combat is further proof of that. How on earth do you even end up with fps drops in a game like that? I mean really?Personally I have learnt my lesson already, I'll never be touching another game from that crappy company ever again.

Woah, you have some issues with them man, come on now, they're not that bad... I have Trinity Universe, Cross Edge, Disgaea 3, Atelier Rorona, and they're all fantastic games for JRPG fans. So lets look at your issues:

First off, setting things clear, NISA is an "independent" subsidiary publisher, this means they don't develop anything, and while they are firstly tasked into bringing up NIS titles from Japan, they've worked their way up the profits to operate on further localizations, even outside of games!

While NISA is free and do localize a variety of games (see: Bleach: Soul Resurrecion, Black Rock Shooter, Clan of Champions), they usually stick to the big three (Gust, Idea Factory, and NIS themselves), and sometimes a little small and mediocre titles from Hit Maker (which did Last Rebellion and Blade Dancer). So you should be thankful there's an English company out there doing the job, listening to you and localizing what you want (BRS is purely out of fan demand).

With that said, the games are still great, don't depend on reviews, depend on your own taste. Anyway, the big three's quirk is that they focus on content and replay value and embellished anime feel, if you don't like that, it will obviously become mindless grinding to you, and that's what reviews usually do. That's why I don't like reviews at all, they can never see games into perspective, they will always look at it from an all-around casual gamer's view.Let's look at the PS3 games you listed with as much reasons I could gather:

Cross Egde (Idea Factory): FPS drops? News to me, it's probably on your console's end, my console slows up when it gathers a lot of dust. Otherwise, the game is perfectly fine and here's a video of an LPlayer on a boss battle playing perfectly fine, unless you consider the slow (which can be hastened) gameplay to be an FPS drop, the game is fine. Cross Edge is the ultimate RPG gameplay fest, the story is not bad, but it's not good either, it's a cross over, so there's not much to it unless if you want to play with a character featured in it, or just dying for a 2D RPG with great content and amazing battle system.

Trinity Universe (Idea Factory): Please don't depend on review scores for argument and tell me what's wrong with it, something that it lacks within a hindsight or inherently wrong with it.

Last Rebellion (Hit Maker): I've played Last Rebellion, the story was good and the gameplay is very cool, it is so detailed that you could beat an opponent through 9 body parts with combos inbetween. The graphics were visually appealing, but certainly outdated. No pixelation whatsoever, but it's not on-par with common smooth 3D that big titles have. It's not a Final Fantasy, but it's a good game. Again, don't hate on something because of a score dude.

Hyperdimension Neptunia (Idea Factory): Game is a sweet fanservice, what is there to hate? Great characters, good gameplay utilizing the new Idea game engine and a loooot of content and events.

Ar Tonelic Qoga (Gust): Dude... now that's just mindless hate. Research the Ar Tonelico series before hating.

From what I see, you don't like the games coming from IF and Hit Maker, which is understandable, since IF's gearing towards crossovers over their Neverland universe is bad IMO, and Hit Maker is just a bad company overall. You also compare Disgaea to COD, and the only thing I can is took about 4 years for Disgaea 4 to release from Disgaea 3. With updated graphics, more weapons, gameplay improvements, new story, new characters, more dungeons, more levels, more... etc. Although it won't a difference if you finished the game once you completed the story, but who in the hell buys Disgaea for the story? I bought it for supporting questing all the way to 9999 level.

All in all, NISA is a great game for what it targets.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

I Gotta agree with xWoW_Rougex, I stay away from all NIS titles like the plague. Cheap and Mediocre is exactly what they produce, I was so desperate for jrpgs that I tried Hyperdimensia Neptunia and Cross Edge and looked into the last rebellion. (Disgaea and Aterlier are the "better" games, but still not my cup of tea).
Playing 6 hours of the horrible framerate, redicously slow and boring HDN. I personally don't like cardboard cutouts for all cutscenes with a bunch of bubbly anime girls and only the boobs slightly jiggling as the animation. Not to mention its horrendly slow and boring combat. I like turn based, I loved FFX and pretty much all the other FF games, Lost Odyssey, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga and so forth. NIS games are usually just is pure garbage with sexualized cutsy anime girls. I don't hate anime, I like how the tales studio handles it, mostly in game cutscenes with fully animated anime sequences, and only the skits are more static images, but in Graces f they still have some actual poses and movements to them. Oh, and the fact they have male characters and not overly sexualized female characters that are all super bubbly.

And Victorious_Fize, you mention we should be lucky that a company is bringing over these games for the U.S. I have to disagree with you completely, I and many others want Namco to bring over quality Tales Titles, Square to develop more than 2 games per decade. Now even square has pushed out some mediocre stuff too. Last Remenant was meh, but it was at least still loads better than anything NIS has ever brought over. We don't want tons of pure garbage sent over and then other companies with good games look at the horrundous sales these NIS games are getting and thinking it's because jrpgs don't sell.

As for the TC, like many have said FFXIII and XIII-2 Valkery Chronicles are about the only turn based rpgs I can think of, but I would highly suggest Tales of Graces F, it may be an action rpg (still has battle screens, over world map with locations to travel to and such) in fact this is how I remember good jrpgs back on the PS2.

Doublexiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Doublexiii
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts

Try on the Playstation Store. I know a lot of PSone Classics RPG's are turn based, and very very good too. As for Disc, I'd go with Eternal Sonata, Cross Edge, or Enchanted Arms.

But yeah, most PS3 RPG's are more action based

187umKILLAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 187umKILLAH
Member since 2010 • 1414 Posts

Disgaea 4 is the only decent Turn based RPG I've played on PS3, there's so much to do and overall a really fun game. I thought Valkyria chronicles was kinda dull and I hated the visual design.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

Valkyrie Chronicles, Resonance of Fate.. Two of the best turn based RPG with one of the most innovative combat mechanics... You should pick them up

k_ozz
I barely consider Resonance of Fate to be turn based, it's more accurate, I think, to call it a mix between turn based and real time, much like Valkyria Chronicles but even less turn based than that.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Victorious_Fize

I Gotta agree with xWoW_Rougex, I stay away from all NIS titles like the plague. Cheap and Mediocre is exactly what they produce, I was so desperate for jrpgs that I tried Hyperdimensia Neptunia and Cross Edge and looked into the last rebellion. (Disgaea and Aterlier are the "better" games, but still not my cup of tea).Playing 6 hours of the horrible framerate, redicously slow and boring HDN. I personally don't like cardboard cutouts for all cutscenes with a bunch of bubbly anime girls and only the boobs slightly jiggling as the animation. Not to mention its horrendly slow and boring combat. I like turn based, I loved FFX and pretty much all the other FF games, Lost Odyssey, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga and so forth. NIS games are usually just is pure garbage with sexualized cutsy anime girls. I don't hate anime, I like how the tales studio handles it, mostly in game cutscenes with fully animated anime sequences, and only the skits are more static images, but in Graces f they still have some actual poses and movements to them. Oh, and the fact they have male characters and not overly sexualized female characters that are all super bubbly.And Victorious_Fize, you mention we should be lucky that a company is bringing over these games for the U.S. I have to disagree with you completely, I and many others want Namco to bring over quality Tales Titles, Square to develop more than 2 games per decade. Now even square has pushed out some mediocre stuff too. Last Remenant was meh, but it was at least still loads better than anything NIS has ever brought over. We don't want tons of pure garbage sent over and then other companies with good games look at the horrundous sales these NIS games are getting and thinking it's because jrpgs don't sell.As for the TC, like many have said FFXIII and XIII-2 Valkery Chronicles are about the only turn based rpgs I can think of, but I would highly suggest Tales of Graces F, it may be an action rpg (still has battle screens, over world map with locations to travel to and such) in fact this is how I remember good jrpgs back on the PS2.ryangcnx-2
But you guys are missing the point, NISA is great for what it does, which is bringing niche titles that no huge company in NA would ever dare to touch, often they'll involve embellished anime art, large quantities of fanservice, and a LOT of content that's enough to keep you in for months if you want. You should be thankful that there's a company out there that is willing to hear you out and bring products based on your needs. I'm sorry, but there's a nitpicking bias for the people that diss NISA, Cross Edge and Last Rebellion are of the LOWEST, if not the lowest, of their releases. Hell, even their CEO apologized and said he'll draw a line to how much fanservice is acceptable with regards to "bad" titles.

You guys treat them as a crappy company that publishes quick and cheap materials for some quick cash, when they're just a small sized company targeting niche material and fanbase that often involve a lot of anime-inspired material and content. That's not to forget they're respected titles within the industry too, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Rhapsody, Spectral and Blazing Souls, Ar Tonelico, Mana Khemia, and the Atelier series, they're all pretty great.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

[QUOTE="ryangcnx-2"]I Gotta agree with xWoW_Rougex, I stay away from all NIS titles like the plague. Cheap and Mediocre is exactly what they produce, I was so desperate for jrpgs that I tried Hyperdimensia Neptunia and Cross Edge and looked into the last rebellion. (Disgaea and Aterlier are the "better" games, but still not my cup of tea).Playing 6 hours of the horrible framerate, redicously slow and boring HDN. I personally don't like cardboard cutouts for all cutscenes with a bunch of bubbly anime girls and only the boobs slightly jiggling as the animation. Not to mention its horrendly slow and boring combat. I like turn based, I loved FFX and pretty much all the other FF games, Lost Odyssey, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga and so forth. NIS games are usually just is pure garbage with sexualized cutsy anime girls. I don't hate anime, I like how the tales studio handles it, mostly in game cutscenes with fully animated anime sequences, and only the skits are more static images, but in Graces f they still have some actual poses and movements to them. Oh, and the fact they have male characters and not overly sexualized female characters that are all super bubbly.And Victorious_Fize, you mention we should be lucky that a company is bringing over these games for the U.S. I have to disagree with you completely, I and many others want Namco to bring over quality Tales Titles, Square to develop more than 2 games per decade. Now even square has pushed out some mediocre stuff too. Last Remenant was meh, but it was at least still loads better than anything NIS has ever brought over. We don't want tons of pure garbage sent over and then other companies with good games look at the horrundous sales these NIS games are getting and thinking it's because jrpgs don't sell.As for the TC, like many have said FFXIII and XIII-2 Valkery Chronicles are about the only turn based rpgs I can think of, but I would highly suggest Tales of Graces F, it may be an action rpg (still has battle screens, over world map with locations to travel to and such) in fact this is how I remember good jrpgs back on the PS2.Victorious_Fize

But you guys are missing the point, NISA is great for what it does, which is bringing niche titles that no huge company in NA would ever dare to touch, often they'll involve embellished anime art, large quantities of fanservice, and a LOT of content that's enough to keep you in for months if you want. You should be thankful that there's a company out there that is willing to hear you out and bring products based on your needs. I'm sorry, but there's a nitpicking bias for the people that diss NISA, Cross Edge and Last Rebellion are of the LOWEST, if not the lowest, of their releases. Hell, even their CEO apologized and said he'll draw a line to how much fanservice is acceptable with regards to "bad" titles.

You guys treat them as a crappy company that publishes quick and cheap materials for some quick cash, when they're just a small sized company targeting niche material and fanbase that often involve a lot of anime-inspired material and content. That's not to forget they're respected titles within the industry too, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Rhapsody, Spectral and Blazing Souls, Ar Tonelico, Mana Khemia, and the Atelier series, they're all pretty great.

And yet compare them with the Tales of series, Xeno series, Final Fantasy series they are a stinking pile of cheap crap. JRPG's are can still get good reviews, look at Xenoblade, The Last Story, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 (while hated by extreme fanboys here at gamespot, they have good ratings and good user reviews), Tales of games which all get a 7 or higher, while NIS games usually sulk around the 3-6 area. Again, maybe it's the fact that they over sexualize everything as well, makes it way to much fan service. You say they listen to fans and bring what we want, well, why don't they bring over Tales of/FF/Xeno and such quality jrpgs? Surely Namco, Square, Mistwalker and Monolith can't be the only decent jrpgs devs still around? Like I said, Disgaea and Atelier are about the only decent things they do, everything else feels so cheap and boring compared to the other games I mentioned.

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"]

[QUOTE="ryangcnx-2"]I Gotta agree with xWoW_Rougex, I stay away from all NIS titles like the plague. Cheap and Mediocre is exactly what they produce, I was so desperate for jrpgs that I tried Hyperdimensia Neptunia and Cross Edge and looked into the last rebellion. (Disgaea and Aterlier are the "better" games, but still not my cup of tea).Playing 6 hours of the horrible framerate, redicously slow and boring HDN. I personally don't like cardboard cutouts for all cutscenes with a bunch of bubbly anime girls and only the boobs slightly jiggling as the animation. Not to mention its horrendly slow and boring combat. I like turn based, I loved FFX and pretty much all the other FF games, Lost Odyssey, Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga and so forth. NIS games are usually just is pure garbage with sexualized cutsy anime girls. I don't hate anime, I like how the tales studio handles it, mostly in game cutscenes with fully animated anime sequences, and only the skits are more static images, but in Graces f they still have some actual poses and movements to them. Oh, and the fact they have male characters and not overly sexualized female characters that are all super bubbly.And Victorious_Fize, you mention we should be lucky that a company is bringing over these games for the U.S. I have to disagree with you completely, I and many others want Namco to bring over quality Tales Titles, Square to develop more than 2 games per decade. Now even square has pushed out some mediocre stuff too. Last Remenant was meh, but it was at least still loads better than anything NIS has ever brought over. We don't want tons of pure garbage sent over and then other companies with good games look at the horrundous sales these NIS games are getting and thinking it's because jrpgs don't sell.As for the TC, like many have said FFXIII and XIII-2 Valkery Chronicles are about the only turn based rpgs I can think of, but I would highly suggest Tales of Graces F, it may be an action rpg (still has battle screens, over world map with locations to travel to and such) in fact this is how I remember good jrpgs back on the PS2.ryangcnx-2

And yet compare them with the Tales of series, Xeno series, Final Fantasy series they are a stinking pile of cheap crap. JRPG's are can still get good reviews, look at Xenoblade, The Last Story, Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 (while hated by extreme fanboys here at gamespot, they have good ratings and good user reviews), Tales of games which all get a 7 or higher, while NIS games usually sulk around the 3-6 area. Again, maybe it's the fact that they over sexualize everything as well, makes it way to much fan service. You say they listen to fans and bring what we want, well, why don't they bring over Tales of/FF/Xeno and such quality jrpgs? Surely Namco, Square, Mistwalker and Monolith can't be the only decent jrpgs devs still around? Like I said, Disgaea and Atelier are about the only decent things they do, everything else feels so cheap and boring compared to the other games I mentioned.

Fans actually tried and they've looked it up with Namco IIRC and they refused to give rights to the series. You're right, there's a lot better series out there, and the only reason NISA went downhill from the PS2 was that there is no longer competition. Back in the PS2 days they would have been crushed with their bloated fan service. Idea Factory will never return to the Neverland universe if there's no company forcing them to withdraw for bloated fan-serving crossovers.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
I really don't want to argue about why NISA is great considering how you guys have all made up your minds anyways. Disgaea 4 is a FANTASTIC SRPG with the most customization that I've ever seen in that genre. Some of the game they localize are pretty horrible but the others are pretty good. If you already have a hidden hate for anime games then you will not like a lot of their games. I absolutely LOVE the Ar Tonelico series but that's because I've played the past 2 on the PS2. I thank NISA, Atlus, and Aksys for bringing over unique japanese rpgs. If they are doing so poorly like some of you said, they wouldn't still be in business with such a niche market.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
[QUOTE="Pvt_r3d"]I really don't want to argue about why NISA is great considering how you guys have all made up your minds anyways. Disgaea 4 is a FANTASTIC SRPG with the most customization that I've ever seen in that genre. Some of the game they localize are pretty horrible but the others are pretty good. If you already have a hidden hate for anime games then you will not like a lot of their games. I absolutely LOVE the Ar Tonelico series but that's because I've played the past 2 on the PS2. I thank NISA, Atlus, and Aksys for bringing over unique japanese rpgs. If they are doing so poorly like some of you said, they wouldn't still be in business with such a niche market.

thats how i feel and its a shame on how the companies are treated
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

There really isn't any unfortunately. The only one that comes to mind is Eternal Sonata which is an amazing game. On the other hand, if you own a PSP, you wouldn't know where to start ;) Playing Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky atm, and all I can say is thankyou PSP.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Resonance of Fate?