Trying to turn a casual into a gamer user PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Sup kids...so here is the issue...Coolyfett shares his PS3 with his girlfriend and is looking for more games for his girlfriend to play. Its safe to say she is kinda a casual gamer, but she enjoys winning PSN Trophies. Coolyfett is looking for more games to buy her, she does not like action games, so titles like God of War, Uncharted are out of the question. She loves Guitar Hero and we have 3 of those games for her, she has completed Little Big Planet on PSP and both of the games on PS3, right now she is playing Catherine, but Catherine is very hard and she is becoming annoyed with it. Heavy Rain is her favorite game so far on PS3 but there arent enough games like that out there. She also beat Brave Story & Jean D Arc on PSP. She also plays a lot of Candy Crush and Subway Surfers on her smart phone, but Coolyfett hates those games...Is there anything on PS3 like Candy Crush, Subway Surfers, Jean D Arc or Brave Story?? Like an RPG that doesnt play like god of war. Again she doest like action games she is just not good at those types of games. Heavy Rain is the only game of it kind,  but she did play a lot of Nancy Drew games on her PC, Side scrolling Platformers are also things she plays. but Coolyfett doesnt really play those games so not sure what to pick up for her. Any recommends based on what Coolyfett posted here?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

LBP Karting

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Try Rayman Origins for a solid sidescroller.

I know you said no on the action games but I'd still say try Skyrim, it's pretty easy and is kind of like the relaxing RPG that's more about exploring than action.

Valkyrie Chronicles is also probably a good choice going by the PSP RPGs you listed (it's a strategy JRPG so it shares some similarities with Jeanne D'Arc).

The Lego games may also be a good choice for sidescrollers, and there should be at least one movie based Lego game to choose for a good theme (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean).  They kind of get lower scores as each one comes out (except I think LOTR scored high and is new) but it seems mainly because it's more of the same, so if you just have one it shouldn't matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Plenty of solid platformers on PSN. I recommend Guacamelee, Sound Shapes, Sonic 2 and Trine 2. I dunno if she has a DS, but since she enjoyed story heavy games like Heavy Rain and Nancy Drew, she might get a kick out of 999 or Virtue's last reward on more current handhelds.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I've been in that scenario, getting my lady gamers and their friends to play games.

I had great success with:

1. ROCKBAND 1-3,
  2. SINGSTAR games,
  3. RISK PSN,
  4. LBP 1,
  5. LBP 2,
  6. Rayman Origins (Fun co op platforming),
  7. Lord of the Rings : War in the North (Co-Op Action RPG),
  8. LEGO games (Any, but I enjoyed Lego Batman 2 the most doing Co OP with her),
  9. PixelJunk Monsters (Again, great co op with the missus),
  10. PixelJunk Shooter 1-2 (Super easy and fun Co op),
  11. Ratchet & Clank HD collection,
  12. ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection,
  13. Sly Cooper HD Collection,
  14. Jak and Daxter HD Collection,
  15. Final Fantasy XIII,
  16. Uncharted 2,
  17. Uncharted 3,
  18. Batman AA,
  19. Batman AC,
  20. Heavy Rain,
  21. Just Dance games,
  22. SingStar Dance,
  23. Trine, (again fun 2D co op platforming)
  24. Trine 2,
  25. BUZZ,
  26. Hotshot's Golf,
  27. Tekken 5,
  28. Tekken 6,
  29. Tekken Tag Tourney 2 (I prefer 2D SF games, but they seem to like 3D better)
  30. Soul Calibur games,
  31. Heavenly Sword,
  32. Uncharted 2,
  33. Rachet and Clank : A Crack In Time,
  34. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction,
  35. Sly Cooper 4 : Thieves in Time,
  36. Katamari Damacy.

I know there's more, but I can't think of them at this time. I'm certain some of these on this effective list from my life could come in handy. Clearly, you have already noticed the appeal of LBP and Heavy Rain. Beyond Two Souls is coming for PS3, which is made by the Heavy Rain team. She'll like that, I'm sure.

You could also get her into PSOne cIassics like Final Fantasy 7-9 which I'm sure she'd love, and PS2 gems like Klonoa 2, Champions of Norrath 1&2, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1&2, Final Fantasy X, FF X-2, and FFXII.

Have fun.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Beyond: Two Souls comes out in October so be sure to check that out when time comes (interactive drama from the same team that made Heavy Rain).

She liked Jean D'Arc? Definitely get her Valkryia Chronicles. I'd say put that at the top of your list. Also it sounds like she might like the Disgaea series but I have no experience with them.

Sounds like she likes RPGs so I'd also recommend PSN classics like FFIX and Persona 3 FES. The FF X HD remaster comes out soon so I'd recommend that as well. You said she doesn't like action games but Tales of Graces F and Tales of Xillia are action RPGs that might be worth a rental and she can easily scale down the difficulty if she still feels like she is having trouble with it.

Also, I'd consider picking up a 3DS for her. I always seem to see more girls out in public playing them than guys. I don't know if it's a taste thing or if girls tend to be more comfortable with gaming like that out and about. Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land and more. Not to mention upcoming titles like Bravely Default.

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts
How about Rayman, sly cooper, ratchet and clank games?
ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
The Walking Dead
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

How about Rayman, sly cooper, ratchet and clank games?PS4TrumpsXbox1

those games are sweet.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Coolyfett

Plenty of solid platformers on PSN. I recommend Guacamelee, Sound Shapes, Sonic 2 and Trine 2. I dunno if she has a DS, but since she enjoyed story heavy games like Heavy Rain and Nancy Drew, she might get a kick out of 999 or Virtue's last reward on more current handhelds. darkspineslayer
Considering getting a Vita done the line, we have not played the PSP in a while mostly been on the new PS3 we got a few months ago. Coolyfett is going to do some research on the listed titles and take a closer look to see if that is something she would like. The great thing about getting a PS3 late is the low price of really good games.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Coolyfett

I've been in that scenario, getting my lady gamers and their friends to play games.

1. ROCKBAND 1-3,
  2. SINGSTAR games,
  3. RISK PSN,
  4. LBP 1,
  5. LBP 2,
  15. Final Fantasy XIII,
  16. Uncharted 2,
  17. Uncharted 3,
  18. Batman AA,
  19. Batman AC,
  20. Heavy Rain,
  21. Just Dance games,
  22. SingStar Dance,
  24. Trine 2,
  25. BUZZ,
  26. Hotshot's Golf,
  27. Tekken 5,
  28. Tekken 6,
  29. Tekken Tag Tourney 2 (I prefer 2D SF games, but they seem to like 3D better)
  30. Soul Calibur games,
  31. Heavenly Sword,
  32. Uncharted 2,
  36. Katamari Damacy.

I know there's more, but I can't think of them at this time. I'm certain some of these on this effective list from my life could come in handy. Clearly, you have already noticed the appeal of LBP and Heavy Rain. Beyond Two Souls is coming for PS3, which is made by the Heavy Rain team. She'll like that, I'm sure.

You could also get her into PSOne cIassics like Final Fantasy 7-9 which I'm sure she'd love, and PS2 gems like Klonoa 2, Champions of Norrath 1&2, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1&2, Final Fantasy X, FF X-2, and FFXII.

Have fun.

SolidTy

Thanks for the reply man, and Coolyfett appreciates the effort on your post, but some of those game will frustrate the crap out of her, which kinda defeats the purpose. The truth is Coolyfett needs some game where the button presses are a little less button mash. She is not that comfortable with the dual shock 3, but we are getting there. She is always looking down  to see the action buttons. Square and Circle give her the most confusion from what Coolyfett has seen when watching her play. Coolyfett has never played a Final Fantasy game and they seem like a game she COULD like, but if its a game where you have to run around killing people with swords and axes etc etc, thats a button masher and she will give up on the first point of failure. Girls man..Coolyfett knows they are not all the same but yea..thats the dilema.

Je5usPiece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Je5usPiece
Member since 2013 • 27 Posts
A scary game like Silent Hill
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

1. ROCKBAND 1-3,
  2. SINGSTAR games,
  3. RISK PSN,
  4. LBP 1,
  5. LBP 2,
  15. Final Fantasy XIII,
  16. Uncharted 2,
  17. Uncharted 3,
  18. Batman AA,
  19. Batman AC,
  20. Heavy Rain,
  21. Just Dance games,
  22. SingStar Dance,
  24. Trine 2,
  25. BUZZ,
  26. Hotshot's Golf,
  27. Tekken 5,
  28. Tekken 6,
  30. Soul Calibur games,
  31. Heavenly Sword,
  32. Uncharted 2,
  36. Katamari Damacy.

Have fun.

Coolyfett

Thanks for the reply man, and Coolyfett appreciates the effort on your post, but some of those game will frustrate the crap out of her, which kinda defeats the purpose. The truth is Coolyfett needs some game where the button presses are a little less button mash. She is not that comfortable with the dual shock 3, but we are getting there. She is always looking down  to see the action buttons. Square and Circle give her the most confusion from what Coolyfett has seen when watching her play. Coolyfett has never played a Final Fantasy game and they seem like a game she COULD like, but if its a game where you have to run around killing people with swords and axes etc etc, thats a button masher and she will give up on the first point of failure. Girls man..Coolyfett knows they are not all the same but yea..thats the dilema.

While I have a lot of experience with bringing non gaming girls and transforming them into bonafide gaming girls (Girlfriends, Buddies GFs, sisters, Auts, and wives), I understand that not every game up there will work for every case. It's a case by case basis.

Still, you shouldn't throw out an entire list of games that I've had success with just because of a few games that my not work. You dig? :P I can guarantee some real winners up there, maybe not Batman and Uncharted, but certainly Rayman Origins or Final Fantasy XIII. Those games aren't button heavy. Same for Singstar, those games you just sing in a microphone. Trine 1/2, Sly Cooper are good ones as well. :D

To answer about Final Fantasy, they are typically one to two button games. A lot more reading.
Also, I didn't mention but PSN game Back to the Future Episodes 1-5 worked wonders as well, especially after re watching the trilogy with my women. It's an easy, reading type comedy adventure.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
mondasm recommends (why are we talking about ourselves in third person btw) any game from "that game company", i have enjoyed all of their games... :)
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

mondasm recommends (why are we talking about ourselves in third person btw) any game from "that game company", i have enjoyed all of their games... :)MondasM

I just assumed TC was weird.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

A scary game like Silent HillJe5usPiece

me too scared to play that game imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

[QUOTE="MondasM"]mondasm recommends (why are we talking about ourselves in third person btw) any game from "that game company", i have enjoyed all of their games... :)GTR12

I just assumed TC was weird.

TC has had that wierd posting gimmick forever.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
The Final Fantasy series is more turn-based. The Lego series is great. I've played most of them and it's not possible to lose, though the boss fights can be a little frustrating sometimes if you don't know what you're doing. If she likes games where you're just trying to figure stuff out I highly recommend anything by TellTale games. The Walking Dead (which is by TellTale games) is very much like Heavy Rain, AND it's a guaranteed plat. I'm not sure if she likes horror though. DON'T get her Sly Cooper! Those games can be VERY frustrating! Ratchet & Clank is fun for the most part other than the one that requires more strategy. Trine, Trine 2, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars are great for side-scrolling. Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock is great too if you ONLY do co-op but it's glitchy as hell if you go solo and your partner tends to go non-responsive at all the wrong times when you need him/her to move. The Cave is awesome. The only way to can play the game the same way twice is if you use the same three characters and there are many combinations.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidTy

DON'T get her Sly Cooper! Those games can be VERY frustrating!The-Apostle

I disagree, my Five year old non gamer niece just completed the PS2 version of the game as I got her a PS2 and some games. She loved it, as did her little 4 year old sister.

One of my non gaming girlfriends absolutely loved the PS3 HD collection of that series, completing Sly 1 and Sly 2. She hated games before I met her, due to her last BF always playing COD games and sports games. I opened up her eyes to games she would enjoy, and she had no experience with controllers.

There is no ONE Game fits all, but the advice of not getting her Sly Cooper would be terrible advice in the instances I described. I actually have more stories, but I'll keep my post short.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"] DON'T get her Sly Cooper! Those games can be VERY frustrating!SolidTy

I disagree, my Five year old non gamer niece just completed the PS2 version of the game as I got her a PS2 and some games. She loved it, as did her little 4 year old sister.

One of my non gaming girlfriends absolutely loved the PS3 HD collection of that series, completing Sly 1 and Sly 2. She hated games before I met her, due to her last BF always playing COD games and sports games. I opened up her eyes to games she would enjoy, and she had no experience with controllers.

There is no ONE Game fits all, but the advice of not getting her Sly Cooper would be terrible advice in the instances I described. I actually have more stories, but I'll keep my post short.

Please note: I said "can be". I did not use the word "are". There are times when the series is frustrating and times when it's not.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"] DON'T get her Sly Cooper! Those games can be VERY frustrating!The-Apostle

Please note: I said "can be". I did not use the word "are". There are times when the series is frustrating and times when it's not.

I did note that, but the first words are key which I also noted: "DON'T get her Sly Cooper!".

My entire post was about there is no ONE game fits all, and that Sly Cooper, like any game, can be frusterating. Personally, I don't see it more aggravating at moments than any other game ever, but to each their own. I thought the game was too easy, as a matter of fact.

My main beef was with the advice not to get her Sly Cooper, as I've had amazing success winning over girl gamers with that title. It's not the only title of course, but it's one of them.

I respect your experiences with the title, but I wanted the TC to understand and hear mine, which just happened to be the very opposite of yours with regards to that series.

EDIT : LOL, I just noticed my sig has Sly Cooper on Vita and Sly Cooper PS3 being played. There you go.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

1. ROCKBAND 1-3,
  2. SINGSTAR games,
  3. RISK PSN,
  4. LBP 1,
  5. LBP 2,
  15. Final Fantasy XIII,
  16. Uncharted 2,
  17. Uncharted 3,
  18. Batman AA,
  19. Batman AC,
  20. Heavy Rain,
  21. Just Dance games,
  22. SingStar Dance,
  24. Trine 2,
  25. BUZZ,
  26. Hotshot's Golf,
  27. Tekken 5,
  28. Tekken 6,
  30. Soul Calibur games,
  31. Heavenly Sword,
  32. Uncharted 2,
  36. Katamari Damacy.

Have fun.

SolidTy

While I have a lot of experience with bringing non gaming girls and transforming them into bonafide gaming girls (Girlfriends, Buddies GFs, sisters, Auts, and wives), I understand that not every game up there will work for every case. It's a case by case basis.

Still, you shouldn't throw out an entire list of games that I've had success with just because of a few games that my not work. You dig? :P I can guarantee some real winners up there, maybe not Batman and Uncharted, but certainly Rayman Origins or Final Fantasy XIII. Those games aren't button heavy. Same for Singstar, those games you just sing in a microphone. Trine 1/2, Sly Cooper are good ones as well. :D

To answer about Final Fantasy, they are typically one to two button games. A lot more reading.
Also, I didn't mention but PSN game Back to the Future Episodes 1-5 worked wonders as well, especially after re watching the trilogy with my women. It's an easy, reading type comedy adventure.

Right right. yes did see you mentioned some titles that Coolyfett is considering. and YES she is playing Back to the Future, RIGHT NOW as Coolyfett types this message. She seems to really be into it, Are there any other games like that Back to the Future one? Coolyfett sometimes reviews female gamers trophy list on PSN when on PSN Home to get an idea what sort of titles the ladies are into, the list are pretty diverse, but one thing Coolyfett always sees is LBP2 & Final Fantasy XII. Still doing research on more titles, Coolyfett just ordered Dark Souls on PS3 and no way will she play that game.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Coolyfett

The Final Fantasy series is more turn-based. The Lego series is great. I've played most of them and it's not possible to lose, though the boss fights can be a little frustrating sometimes if you don't know what you're doing. If she likes games where you're just trying to figure stuff out I highly recommend anything by TellTale games. The Walking Dead (which is by TellTale games) is very much like Heavy Rain, AND it's a guaranteed plat. I'm not sure if she likes horror though. DON'T get her Sly Cooper! Those games can be VERY frustrating! Ratchet & Clank is fun for the most part other than the one that requires more strategy. Trine, Trine 2, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars are great for side-scrolling. Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock is great too if you ONLY do co-op but it's glitchy as hell if you go solo and your partner tends to go non-responsive at all the wrong times when you need him/her to move. The Cave is awesome. The only way to can play the game the same way twice is if you use the same three characters and there are many combinations.The-Apostle
Thanks again, she loves LOTR and Coolyfett knows there is a Lego title some where, not sure if it was on PS3 or the Vita though, Coolyfett will have to look into it. Once she is used to the easier stuff Coolyfett will try to slowly faze in the more difficult games, right now we just need something that doesnt involve R1 R2 L1 L2 cross, triangle, circle & square all at the same time. Thanks again.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]Thanks for the reply man, and Coolyfett appreciates the effort on your post, but some of those game will frustrate the crap out of her, which kinda defeats the purpose. The truth is Coolyfett needs some game where the button presses are a little less button mash. She is not that comfortable with the dual shock 3, but we are getting there. She is always looking down  to see the action buttons. Square and Circle give her the most confusion from what Coolyfett has seen when watching her play. Coolyfett has never played a Final Fantasy game and they seem like a game she COULD like, but if its a game where you have to run around killing people with swords and axes etc etc, thats a button masher and she will give up on the first point of failure. Girls man..Coolyfett knows they are not all the same but yea..thats the dilema.

Coolyfett

Right right. yes did see you mentioned some titles that Coolyfett is considering. and YES she is playing Back to the Future, RIGHT NOW as Coolyfett types this message. She seems to really be into it, Are there any other games like that Back to the Future one? Coolyfett sometimes reviews female gamers trophy list on PSN when on PSN Home to get an idea what sort of titles the ladies are into, the list are pretty diverse, but one thing Coolyfett always sees is LBP2 & Final Fantasy XII. Still doing research on more titles, Coolyfett just ordered Dark Souls on PS3 and no way will she play that game.

I'm glad to see that you found success with Back to the Future as I did.:P

Yes, if she likes Back to the Future styIe gameplay, then that developer has a few other gems on PSN you should show her. They make other types of games, but here's some for her I'd recommend. Don't let these titles confuse you as these are made by TellTale as well:

1. Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (5 episodes)
  2. Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space (5 episodes)
  3. Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People(5 episodes, based on Homestar Runner)
  4. Tales of Monkey Island (5 episodes)
  5. CSI: Fatal Conspiracy (5 episodes)
  6. Back to the Future (5 Episodes, she's currently playing it)
  7. Jurassic Park: The Game (4 Episodes)
  8. The Walking Dead (5 Episodes)
  9. The Walking Dead Season Two (Not out yet)

Happy gaming.