Tomb Raider Reboot - Are you excited?

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Ace_of_Spades90
Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ace_of_Spades90
Member since 2012 • 815 Posts

Tomb Raider Revelations was actually my first video game, as well as the first tomb raider game I've ever played. The crystal dynamics trilogy was fantastic and, having played anniversary (best tomb raider imo) just recently, I'm a little nervous as to how this reboot will turn out. Hopefully, puzzles and exploration are still very prominent; I would hate to see tomb raider turn into a third person shooter with easy puzzles.

Also, the multiplayer seems out of place. I'll keep an open mind, though.

How about you? Are you excited?

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#2 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I was a little. Then SE blamed all their financial woes on us console gamers. Now I plan on getting it used for under $5. I think it'll do okay. Really hope the MP tanks so they abandon it. I don't see how TR translates into MP.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 soundcellx
Member since 2006 • 976 Posts

Nope. Nothing makes the series special anymore, since this game removes everything that made the series special in the first place. This game just looks like all the other current modern gen gaming generic trash.

Also, so not cool removing one of the most iconic characters in video gaming ever.  

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 happy_dude64
Member since 2007 • 994 Posts

I am very excited. Looks pretty damn good. Sadly though, I have a limited amount of gaming money so I may need to pass this until the later future. BUT I will be playing this by borrowing the game from my friend. Got to make sacrifices in money when you have a girlfriend and a full time student in college. 

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 DaRq_MiNoS
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

I love the Tomb Raider series and I'm really excited about it. This is my most anticipated game this year out of tons of games I'm looking forward to.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soundcellx

I love the Tomb Raider series and I'm really excited about it. This is my most anticipated game this year out of tons of games I'm looking forward to.

DaRq_MiNoS

If you love the Tomb Raider series though, then why would you be excited for this game? This is not Tomb Raider. 

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 happy_dude64

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

soundcellx

If you love the Tomb Raider series though, then why would you be excited for this game? This is not Tomb Raider. 

Reboot...get with the times. Accept things change...oh and grow up.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="DaRq_MiNoS"]

happy_dude64

Change for the worse or change for the better?

You still did not answer my question on whether Germany changing into a Nazi state in the late 30's was good change or not. I mean, you make it sound like all change is good.

If growing up means that I have to be a boring adult, then no, I will not grow up. I will be who I am and be proud of who I am. I don't have to change for anyone and it does not matter what others think of me, only myself. I do not have to live by social norms. 

happy_dude64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 happy_dude64

I'm also the guy that said that replaying classics isn't bad. Stop trying to pick a fight over your own childish opinions.

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaRq_MiNoS

[QUOTE="happy_dude64"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

Change for the worse or change for the better?

You still did not answer my question on whether Germany changing into a Nazi state in the late 30's was good change or not. I mean, you make it sound like all change is good.

If growing up means that I have to be a boring adult, then no, I will not grow up. I will be who I am and be proud of who I am. I don't have to change for anyone and it does not matter what others think of me, only myself. I do not have to live by social norms.

Just about everyone who's had hands-on time with the game says that it looks awesome. This is looking like change for the better. (fingers crossed)

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I'm "interested"

Tomb Raider has always been a bit of a sex icon but the whole "help her mature and survive" is honestly a bit creepy. Surviving a possible rape, the natural camouflage DLC (mud)...

If there is a demo I'll definitely try it but it's no longer the definite preorder.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm pumped up for it.

lilkarlh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lilkarlh666
Member since 2009 • 168 Posts

I was and still am extremely excited. I was reading the play magazine the other day that it didn't really need to be a tomb raider game at all and could and perhaps should of been a new i.p entirely. They said that with lara there it felt like a bit of a cash in on the name before they got to play, but somehow with it's darker nature they actually seemed to care about lara when playing it, because of the history as gamers they had with her, so infact it actually worked very well by having her there. And they did say that what they played of it, was a really interesting game in it's own right, and played extremely well. So from that i was skeptical but now im looking forward to it more than ever.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#15 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Not a day 1 buy, but I'm excited nonetheless.

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

The Reboot is pure **** All the classics that were released for PSX are the true Tomb Raider games. This is just another boring modern current gen game.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I was thinking about getting it until they announced it had multiplayer.  Sounds like just another generic mass-marketed product made to sell copies to a certain demographic group, not please fans of the series or fans of action/adventure in general.

Maybe if it turns up real cheap in the bargain bin.

IC3_C0LD_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 IC3_C0LD_ZERO
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts
After Legend, I stopped caring for the series. The reboot looks promising so far, I will certainly buy it but not on launch, maybe I'll wait for it to go under 20 bucks
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Not really excited. Interested sure, I guess.

I'll admit, hearing there will be multiplayer turned me off though. Budget and resources that could've been spent on more polish for the single-player wasted on generic multiplayer that I'll never use. Super.

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

Maybe not as much as some other titles, but will get it eventually maybe when the price drops to $30-$20

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soundcellx

The Reboot is pure **** All the classics that were released for PSX are the true Tomb Raider games. This is just another boring modern current gen game.

lilnazar

^THIS

this is what I've been saying about modern games for a very long time now. Nothing is special about Tomb Raider anymore, just the same old modern gen crap.

I'm Lauren Craft - pewpewpewpewpewpewpewwpewpewpewpewpewpepwpewpepwpewpepwpepwe, i captured the flag in multiplayer yay! 

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ace_of_Spades90

Here's one of the more recent trailers for Tomb Raider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1Xn0hZsIw

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 soundcellx

Here's one of the more recent trailers for Tomb Raider: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-1Xn0hZsIw

Ace_of_Spades90

Wow, looks way more crappier than I thought. 

Tomb Raider was never about combat more than puzzles adnd platforming. Now she's RAMBO CROFT!!!!!

*sigh* I miss climbing and platforming already. Now it's just auto climbing like in Uncharted. 

All those set piece gimmicks make me vomit. 

Also...

WHERE'S THE TOMB RAIDING????

DaRq_MiNoS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaRq_MiNoS

[QUOTE="Ace_of_Spades90"]

soundcellx

Tomb Raider was never about combat more than puzzles adnd platforming. Now she's RAMBO CROFT!!!!!

*sigh* I miss climbing and platforming already. Now it's just auto climbing like in Uncharted.

Also...

First, there's ALWAYS BEEN COMBAT in Tomb Raider games. And yes I've played them since the first game.

Second, all the previews that have been released deal with the very first bit of the game. I have read articles where they said that THERE IS TOMB RAIDING later in the game. In a good story, you want to introduce your characters first and get your audience to care about them.

Third, if YOU HATE MODERN VIDEO GAMES SO DAMN MUCH why don't you quit playing them, or maybe take a break until next gen? I think it would do you good. And no I don't hate you -- I was at the same place you're at like 10 years ago where I was burnt out on gaming.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 soundcellx

First, there's ALWAYS BEEN COMBAT in Tomb Raider games. And yes I've played them since the first game.

Second, all the previews that have been released deal with the very first bit of the game. I have read articles where they said that THERE IS TOMB RAIDING later in the game. In a good story, you want to introduce your characters first and get your audience to care about them.

Third, if YOU HATE MODERN VIDEO GAMES SO DAMN MUCH why don't you quit playing them, or maybe take a break until next gen? I think it would do you good. And no I don't hate you -- I was at the same place you're at like 10 years ago where I was burnt out on gaming.

DaRq_MiNoS

I never said there hasn't been combat. Just this trailer makes it look like the entire game is focused on combat, like Uncharted. 

Good story....??? Why does Tomb Raider even need a story? *sigh* Why do video games need to emphasize story over gameplay these days? It's so sad. After one time through the game the story is automatically garbage, no matter how great it is. I mean, it's like watching the same movie several times. Who gives a **** about story when you have great gameplay? And classic Tomb Raiders were all about gameplay. Yes, they had a little story, but they weren't story centric. 

Because there is still a little good left. It isn't about being burnt out on gaming. The problem is current video game developers suck, JRPGs are on life support and Japanese games just aren't what they used to be since they've been trying to westernize them. Also, just not a ton of variety these days. Lots of pewpew. 

TriniPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TriniPlayer
Member since 2009 • 7722 Posts
People fail to realize that this is Lara before she became an icon,before she was raiding tombs and holding her own in terms of combat and surivivng (even though she does eventually) ...to sum it up this is where it all began.There is is a reason why XP is present within the game,Lara herself is inexperienced and unlike the previous entries she is not familar with alot of stuff and with that said she's pretty much vulnerable in the enviroment she's in.She earns XP by hunting/completing certain task and through experience she grows and only then she becomes the true Lara Croft we all know. I for one got the collector's edition preordered and is looking forward to playing it ...at the end of the day you could either hate it or love it but the reboot is pretty much here to stay now.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="Ace_of_Spades90"]

soundcellx

Also...

She doesn't "auto-climb." You have to actually grab on ledges or use axe to climb walls. Also there lots of Tombs in this game. They are just not showing them as much as new stuff. Also the game is not linear and you can travel all over map whenever you want to from hubs and base camps.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StrongBlackVine

This game looks amazing and I will definitley be pre-orderng Day One lose my mind playing as Lara Croft! Still trying to figure out if I want to get the Collector's Edition.

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ace_of_Spades90

Judging from the interviews and what I've seen thus far, the game doesn't look bad at all; it looks pretty good.

Personally, I do feel that tomb raider needed a reboot. As much as I relished the crystal dynamics trilogy and guardian of light (which was a fantastic multiplayer game) the story sort of dug itself in a hole. And I know, I know.. tomb raider was never about the combat, but let's be honest: who here really enjoyed auto-locked gunplay? I will admit that I did not like it. In fact, I dreaded combat in the classics, Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld because of how clunky it was. Every time I was bombarded with lions, bears, and outworldy creatures I wished nothing more than to skip it all - and you know what, that sort of hindered the game play. After all, we're playing a game, so shouldn't it be fun?

That's not to say I don't have my doubts about the game. I do. However, allowing nolstagia to be the sole determing factor of whether or not I'll purchase the game is rather silly. That said, I'll give the game a chance before I decide to hate it.

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ace_of_Spades90

One aspect I'm really excited about is the multiplayer. Yeah, I expressed doubt in my first post, but I'm slowly coming around to the concept. Even if it's bad and/or not my thing, I can always opt to skip it and so can the rest of you. Contrary to some peoples' opinions about it "ruining" the game, how could it? The multiplayer is very much an optional experience. so I don't understand kind of reasoning. Also, someone above me implied that the multiplayer was tacked-on and wasted resources - that is not true. One of the developers touches on that subject in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIQnNOJTDl0

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StrongBlackVine

Judging from the interviews and what I've seen thus far, the game doesn't look bad at all; it looks pretty good.

Personally, I do feel that tomb raider needed a reboot. As much as I relished the crystal dynamics trilogy and guardian of light (which was a fantastic multiplayer game) the story sort of dug itself in a hole. And I know, I know.. tomb raider was never about the combat, but let's be honest: who here really enjoyed auto-locked gunplay? I will admit that I did not like it. In fact, I dreaded combat in the classics, Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld because of how clunky it was. Every time I was bombarded with lions, bears, and outworldy creatures I wished nothing more than to skip it all - and you know what, that sort of hindered the game play. After all, we're playing a game, so shouldn't it be fun?

That's not to say I don't have my doubts about the game. I do. However, allowing nolstagia to be the sole determing factor of whether or not I'll purchase the game is rather silly. That said, I'll give the game a chance before I decide to hate it.

Ace_of_Spades90

Is that Dante in your avatar?

Ace_of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ace_of_Spades90

Is that Dante in your avatar?

StrongBlackVine

No. That's cole from the Infamous series (the version of him that was scrapped lol).

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
yes i l ready pre-ordered
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

This game looks amazing and I will definitley be pre-orderng Day One lose my mind playing as Lara Croft! Still trying to figure out if I want to get the Collector's Edition.

StrongBlackVine

i'm getting the regular version.

Scissorman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Scissorman88
Member since 2013 • 154 Posts
i'm actually very excited
nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

Quite, actually.

I've played Tomb Raider since the beginning and loved it, but I can't deny that many of the games in the series were weak entries.  Thus rebooting the series seems like a great idea to me and, for the most part, I like what I'm seeing in the reboot so far. 

Zoza24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zoza24
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

Not much, but hopefully it'll change.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Not really, but my opinion on the game is invalid. I've never played a Tomb Raider game. *puts up flame shield*

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Yes, most-definitely. I've been watching this game for the few years they've been talking it up, and I think it's gonna be a fine addition to the series. I've played them all, enjoyed them all (parts of "Angel" ticked me off, but I got through it), and this one will be no exception!

;)

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I will grab it on Steam when it is $5 during a sale. I have been playing TR from day one. TR2 is still my favorite TR. I look forward to playing this new one.
soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 soundcellx

Not really, but my opinion on the game is invalid. I've never played a Tomb Raider game. *puts up flame shield*

CommanderShiro

The new Tomb Raider isn't Tomb Raider. So, if you played the new one, you still would not have played Tomb Raider. 

Hopefully there is downloadable DLC for a character skin, so that you can play as Lara Croft!

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"]

soundcellx

The new Tomb Raider isn't Tomb Raider. So, if you played the new one, you still would not have played Tomb Raider. 

Hopefully there is downloadable DLC for a character skin, so that you can play as Lara Croft!

No one asked for a troll's opinion....

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

I was at first but after hearing some not neccasarily bad things but questionable things, (multiplayer, etc) I'm a little skeptical. I'll look some walkthrough videos on youtube if the game is to my liking.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StrongBlackVine

I was at first but after hearing some not neccasarily bad things but questionable things, (multiplayer, etc) I'm a little skeptical. I'll look some walkthrough videos on youtube if the game is to my liking.

cdragon_88

The is one hour IGN demo up on youtube right now. It will convince you. All look at the two Survival Episodes.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"]

StrongBlackVine

It's not an opinion, Skippy. 

The new TR isn't Tomb Raider, and the new character is NOT Lara Croft. I should know, I played the original Tomb Raiders back on PS1. Did you? 

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

The new TR isn't Tomb Raider, and the new character is NOT Lara Croft. I should know, I played the original Tomb Raiders back on PS1. Did you? 

Yeah. Tomb Raider was the first I got for PS1 as kid...I remember the first time the T-Rex came out nowhere and ate me! I can remember assaulting her butler in mansion in Tomber Raider II I think it was...good times and this new game is Tomb Raider: Lara Croft as well.

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 soundcellx

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

StrongBlackVine

Yeah. Tomb Raider was the first I got for PS1 as kid...I remember the first time the T-Rex came out nowhere and ate me! I can remember assaulting her butler in mansion in Tomber Raider II I think it was...good times and this new game is Tomb Raider: Lara Croft as well.

Well, if you think this new game and character are Tomb Raider and Lara Croft, then it is clear as day that you have never played Tomb Raider before and have no freaking clue what you are talking about. 

This game should be titled: 'Rambo Croft: First Blood', since this new game has nothing to do with Tomb Raider. 

soundcellx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 soundcellx

So, it dawned on me just now, I was thinking about how this new Tomb Raider seems to lack most if not all supernatural elements and instead is going for realism (plague of modern video games). 

I then thought of the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy and how boring they are (excluding second one) because they are more realistic and lacking the superhero-ness and fantasy elements which Batman series is supposed to have. The problem with letting go of the magic and going toward realism is that it kills the fun and enjoyment. Video games are escapism and it kills the point of them when they're semi-realistic. Real life is boring, so I'd much rather video games and movies steer clear of normal boring life. 

This new 'Lauren Craft' game looks like a third person view version of Cabella's Dangerous Hunts. 

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

Well, if you think this new game and character are Tomb Raider and Lara Croft, then it is clear as day that you have never played Tomb Raider before and have no freaking clue what you are talking about. 

This game should be titled: 'Rambo Croft: First Blood', since this new game has nothing to do with Tomb Raider. 

Yeah I pulled those details about the early games out of my ass huh? There were 2 or 3 bad guys in first game where you had kill them to to get access to new weapons like an duel uzis. Plus there was a cheat code to get those guns early.

You mad that some who plays game back then disagrees with you? I have been gaming for over 20 years boy. All the way back to the original NES as far  asI can remember. Mario, Zelda, Mike Tyson's Punchout with the glove.

I am happy that gaming has progressed so far. You can still play that old sh!t if you want to...

And yeah LARA CROFT does act like Rambo at times i the new game...and I love it.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StrongBlackVine

So, it dawned on me just now, I was thinking about how this new Tomb Raider seems to lack most if not all supernatural elements and instead is going for realism (plague of modern video games). 

soundcellx

It has not been confirmed (ie spoiled yet), but there is strong possibility of supernatural elements and non-human enemies in this game. You would know these things if you did some research.