This is amazing, fixing a dead PS3.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by telefanatic (2868 posts) -

Well i had some problems with motherboards in past week, my PS3 that i have owned for few years got the yellow light of death. Im pretty smart with electronics and fixing things, looked up what could be done, and i couldnt believe after taking it apart i had to stick the motherboard into the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, who in the world figured that one out is a genious. Well i cleaned out the system of dust, applied some arctic silver on the CPU and it powered on and its actually really quiet now, the fans dont go berserk anymore and its working perfectly. So if you guys ever get that problem, dont send it to Sony for fixing look up on google for some instructions on how you can fix it your self and save some money.

Also just my luck i built a new computer yesterday for gaming, got all the parts from newegg and the motherboard was dead right out of the box. It took me quite some time figuring out what was bad. It turned on but didnt post, i changed out the PSU, ram, and it was just a mess because there is no easy way to figure out whats wrong with it, but new motherboard worked out great just have to return the old one now.

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23463 posts) -
all you are doing is resoldering it it will break again btw when is unknown best way to fix is to reball ofc you need equipment best so send it off unless you want to heat it up again later, also it only gets worse as it gets more oxidized.
#3 Posted by mav_destroyer (3060 posts) -
seems legit...
#4 Posted by istuffedsunny (6981 posts) -
Yeah I baked my 60gb a few times, pretty cool trick but I'd say you're only going to get 20-50 hours of playtime from each baking
#5 Posted by TrooperManaic (3732 posts) -

had to do this with my EVGA 8800GT videocard. It just died one day. The bake method worked for about a month before haveing to be completly replaced.

#6 Posted by Threesixtyci (4283 posts) -

It's because the pins on the CPU are soldered into the motherboard. And when the CPU gets too hot the solder expands then contracts when it cools. This leaves cracks and if one pin loses connection you get your yellow light. Cooking it re-glazes the solder, but the cracks will reform.

About Paste then Solder. Paste explanation I don't agree. Spreading the stuff is not better than putting a dot. But Solder sounds logical and starts at about 5:40

About Fans and Paste and Solder... And he changes his mind about spreading versus dot method of applying paste.

Guy gets too angry, but that just makes him fun to watch....