The RPG Lounge [OT Approved] UPDATE ON LAST PAGE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#451 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -
Or... maybe things will get worse if Matsuda isn't much better than Wada.Everiez
Matsuda started in 2001. Isn't that roughly when things started going down hill on the JRPG front? Uh-oh. :P
#452 Posted by Everiez (1946 posts) -

They should make Tetsuya Nomura president lol Young_Charter

Not sure if that will be a good thing. His fashion sense is already weird enough ever since his promotion. Imagine all SE game have their characters wear weird clothing. If that's what it takes to steer SE's Japan IP to right direction then I'll take it #desperate_fan. :P

[QUOTE="Everiez"]Or... maybe things will get worse if Matsuda isn't much better than Wada.MrSelf-Destruct
Matsuda started in 2001. Isn't that roughly when things started going down hill on the JRPG front? Uh-oh. :P

Gotta take that gamble. It can't go any worse and the time is right before start of next gen.

#453 Posted by Texas2089 (16444 posts) -
So, how do you dudes feel about Yoichi Wada resigning from Square Enix. I'm torn, personally. On one hand, there's now a chance for someone who cares more about their JRPG series to step up and get those types of games rolling again. On the other hand, it may just make things even worse. I am really fearful for any negative impact it might have on the quality of their western games. As a publisher, SE has been rocking it with games like Deus Ex, Hitman Absolution, Tomb Raider, and Sleeping Dogs. I really hope that doesn't change at all. Farewell, Wada! Bring on the JRPGS!MrSelf-Destruct
I think a lot of people will be excited about it, but I'm a bit apprehensive. I like a lot of the work Wada has done with the company and I don't know much about Matsuda so I really don't know what to think about the future of SE. Hoping that the Western divisions can continue what they're doing because like you said, between Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, and Deus EX they're really doing a good job. Also hoping that this will finally mark a turnaround for the Japanese divisions as well.
#454 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -
You guys are forgetting Just Cause 2 :D that game was so badass
#455 Posted by MethodManFTW (25605 posts) -
Hmm.. I don't know if SE really understands where the games industry is right now... Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million and SE is calling those sales weak. -.-
#456 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -
Hmm.. I don't know if SE really understands where the games industry is right now... Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million and SE is calling those sales weak. -.-MethodManFTW
Smh. Insane
#457 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

SE released a statement saying all their NA published game sales have been weak, specifically Sleeping Dogs, Hitman and Tomb Raider (they never accounted for DD sales though). Also, they just sold off a sh!t ton of F2P games that aren't drawing in money.

SE becoming as big as they are (they are pretty much the activision of the East) is what caused them to falter a bit. They bit off way more than they can chew this gen. FFXIV flopping on top of all that certainly didn't help.

Matsude supposedly comes from the side of things that Wada did, ie he's a suit who may or may not be a gamer. We'll just have to wait and see. I just hope these setbacks will reviese SE's goals to be a little more realistic and stick to doing stuff that made them so successful in the first place.

Also, bring back Hiroyki Ito to FF (Chrono Trigger, FFIV, VI, IX, XII, Tactics, Vagrant Story, etc) as he stated in an interview that the reason he still wasn't on the series because of Wada.

#458 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13130 posts) -
It's a shame that they consider their best work in recent memory to be what failed them. Are their rehashed iOS games doing better? Did that massive flop of an MMORPG ever put them in the black? Are they only still afloat thanks to the random bastardizations of the franchise that made them great in the first place? Their western games can only be "failures" if they spent more money than they made. To be a "failure" after 3.4 million sales in less than a month, Tomb Raider must have cost them a LOT of money, which is a good indicator that they simply misjudged the game's potential. I believe they should have lowered their expectations a bit.
#459 Posted by idunnodude (2281 posts) -

hey uh weren't they supposed to release a trailer for the FFX HD remake yesterday or something? 

#460 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -
It's a shame that they consider their best work in recent memory to be what failed them. Are their rehashed iOS games doing better? Did that massive flop of an MMORPG ever put them in the black? Are they only still afloat thanks to the random bastardizations of the franchise that made them great in the first place? Their western games can only be "failures" if they spent more money than they made. To be a "failure" after 3.4 million sales in less than a month, Tomb Raider must have cost them a LOT of money, which is a good indicator that they simply misjudged the game's potential. I believe they should have lowered their expectations a bit.MrSelf-Destruct
To be honest, They had no business trying to make another MMORPG. They could've updated it and make expansion packs just like how WOW is. Smh.
#461 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

hey uh weren't they supposed to release a trailer for the FFX HD remake yesterday or something? 

idunnodude

#462 Posted by Jak-25 (2490 posts) -

Square-Enix is behind, aren't they?

#463 Posted by starwarsjunky (24731 posts) -

[QUOTE="idunnodude"]

whiskeystrike

:45, what song is about to start there?
#464 Posted by Texas2089 (16444 posts) -
[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

[QUOTE="idunnodude"]

starwarsjunky

:45, what song is about to start there?

#465 Posted by starwarsjunky (24731 posts) -
awesome.
#466 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -
awesome.starwarsjunky
lol.. .
#467 Posted by idunnodude (2281 posts) -

that was kinda underwhelming. i thought they would atleast have a release date. it just said 2013 at the end of the trailer. *sigh* square just being square i guess

#468 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -

that was kinda underwhelming. i thought they would atleast have a release date. it just said 2013 at the end of the trailer. *sigh* square just being square i guess

idunnodude
Well hey. . It is what it is...
#469 Posted by roboccs (6937 posts) -
I feel I should post something to get this thread back on the first page.... With March Madness and busy work schedule I've had no time to game... Been itching to dive into FF9 a bit and finally finish FF6... So close!
#470 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

So lets see, what (J)RPGs are you guys looking forward to this year?

So far off the top of my head, I'm looking forward to Tales of Xilia(PS3), Ys: Memories of Celceta(VITA), and hopefully Bravely Default: Flying Fairy(3DS)

#471 Posted by roboccs (6937 posts) -

So far off the top of my head, I'm looking forward to Tales of Xilia(PS3), Ys: Memories of Celceta(VITA), and hopefully Bravely Default: Flying Fairy(3DS)

xGamePlayerx19
The only ones I can think of are Tales of Xilia as well and the new Xeno game on Wii U if that comes out this year. I would love to say I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy vs. 13 or FFXV or whatever they're gonna call it but I likely won't have a PS4 when it launches this year.
#472 Posted by Texas2089 (16444 posts) -

xGamePlayerx19
Tales of Xillia is my most anticipated JRPG of the year right now. I'm also looking forward to Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Soul Sacrifice, Lightning Returns, and the FFX and KH HD collections. Also hoping that Bravely Default and SMT IV find their way to the States before the year is out.
#473 Posted by starwarsjunky (24731 posts) -

xGamePlayerx19
bravely default, maybe. thats about it...
#474 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

[QUOTE="xGamePlayerx19"]

Texas2089

Tales of Xillia is my most anticipated JRPG of the year right now. I'm also looking forward to Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Soul Sacrifice, Lightning Returns, and the FFX and KH HD collections. Also hoping that Bravely Default and SMT IV find their way to the States before the year is out.

ahh yes totally forgot about Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, looking forward to that as well. Same with Soul Sacrifice too, just preordered that the other day.

#475 Posted by Texas2089 (16444 posts) -

[QUOTE="Texas2089"][QUOTE="xGamePlayerx19"]

xGamePlayerx19

ahh yes totally forgot about Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, looking forward to that as well. Same with Soul Sacrifice too, just preordered that the other day.

How could you forget Kingdom Hearts!? I still haven't preordered Soul Sacrifice but I probably should get on that. Idk how easy it will be find it otherwise. I was waiting for some kind of artbook and/or soundtrack as a preorder bonus but it's just some stupid costumes. I'll probably go ahead and preorder both Soul Sacrifice and Devil Summoner tomorrow though. At least Devil Summoner comes with a soundtrack :P
#476 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Shen Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS is coming over to NA. Will probably be picking up though rumor is that it's launching at $50. A bit too much for a 3DS game so I'll probably wait for it to drop to $30

#477 Posted by Texas2089 (16444 posts) -

Shen Megami Tensei IV for the 3DS is coming over to NA. Will probably be picking up though rumor is that it's launching at $50. A bit too much for a 3DS game so I'll probably wait for it to drop to $30

whiskeystrike
It was never really a matter of if, more like would it be coming this year or next. Atlus localizes pretty much all of their in house games now and SMT IV is too big NOT to localize. If the game does end up costing $50 I'll still buy it because I have no problem supporting Atlus. Now I'm just hoping we can get this SMT IV 3DS XL. I'd gladly trade in my current 3DS for it.
#478 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

xGamePlayerx19

I'm looking forward to Disgaea Dimension 2, Tales of Xilia, Time and Eternity, The Guided Fate Paradox, Devil Survivor 2 Break Record, Shin Megami Tensei IV, FF X and X-2 HD, and SMT Devil Summoner.

And that SMT IV 3DS looks sexy :shock:

#479 Posted by Texas2089 (16444 posts) -

[QUOTE="xGamePlayerx19"]

Lucky_Krystal

I'm looking forward to Disgaea Dimension 2, Tales of Xilia, Time and Eternity, The Guided Fate Paradox, Devil Survivor 2 Break Record, Shin Megami Tensei IV, FF X and X-2 HD, and SMT Devil Summoner.

And that SMT IV 3DS looks sexy :shock:

Oh man, I completely forgot they were re-releasing Devil Survivor 2. The whole reason I didn't buy it right at launch was because I figured there would be some kind of 'Overclocked' version of it and the waiting paid off. I still need to get another copy of the first Devil Survivor too. I made it up to Day 6 I believe before it got stolen so I never got to finish it :(
#480 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

3DS all day conference thingy coming up

Bravely Default coming to America

my tears are being shed

#481 Posted by starwarsjunky (24731 posts) -

my tears are being shed

whiskeystrike
shwing!
#482 Posted by Sweenix (5398 posts) -

ugh need help with chrono trigger

my team is lvl 27 and i'm traveling underground right now, then i'll have to fight lavos :(

i have died 6 times so far, though i got very close, what level should i train to?

#483 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

my tears are being shed

starwarsjunky

shwing!

dude...

steins;gate writer

and

old school final fantasyish

with a lovely artstyle

oh god I hope it comes out this year :(

(btw watch Steins;gate if you haven't)

#484 Posted by starwarsjunky (24731 posts) -

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

my tears are being shed

whiskeystrike

shwing!

dude...

steins;gate writer

and

with a lovely artstyle

i haven't :P
#485 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -

ugh need help with chrono trigger

my team is lvl 27 and i'm traveling underground right now, then i'll have to fight lavos :(

i have died 6 times so far, though i got very close, what level should i train to?

Sweenix
as high as you can possibly go.
#486 Posted by Texas2089 (16444 posts) -

my tears are being shed

whiskeystrike
Has it been confirmed they're releasing it here, or you're just speculating that it gets announced at this event? Cause if this is speculation that's a cruel joke :( I've been waiting of that game since it was first announced.
#487 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

my tears are being shed

Texas2089

Has it been confirmed they're releasing it here, or you're just speculating that it gets announced at this event? Cause if this is speculation that's a cruel joke :( I've been waiting of that game since it was first announced.

siliconera (weeaboo site) has confirmed it

so yes it's not an official announcement but it might as well be.

Fantasy life (another 3ds JRPG) has been trademarked for NA as well

Now all we need is DQVII, which is kind of expected

#488 Posted by MethodManFTW (25605 posts) -

[QUOTE="Texas2089"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

my tears are being shed

whiskeystrike

Capcom duder tweeted out that link a few days ago, so I imagine it has to be true. https://twitter.com/itsumobasho
#489 Posted by Texas2089 (16444 posts) -

[QUOTE="Texas2089"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

my tears are being shed

whiskeystrike

Good enough for me. Can't wait to finally play it :D
#490 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

my tears are being shed

whiskeystrike

shwing!

dude...

steins;gate writer

and

with a lovely artstyle

Yo spence, what anime should I watch ? I watch all kinds of anime, but I would like to watch a mystery psychological anime like When They Cry (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni ). .
#491 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

^Psycho Pass

Tales of Xillia has a release date for NA now, August 6th.

It wasn't supposed to be an official announcement (someone dropped it in an interview) and it's been removed from several websites. So a Namco Bandai official announcement has yet to come with whatever news they have left for us. Thinking it will either be Xillia 2 for NA or a new Tales game on the PS4. Bamco said Vita NA sales are too low to profit off of a Vita Tales localization and Vesperia for the PS3 is a dream.

#492 Posted by Texas2089 (16444 posts) -

^Psycho Pass

It wasn't supposed to be an official announcement (someone dropped it in an interview) and it's been removed from several websites. So a Namco Bandai official announcement has yet to come with whatever news they have left for us. Thinking it will either be Xillia 2 for NA or a new Tales game on the PS4. Bamco said Vita NA sales are too low to profit off of a Vita Tales localization and Vesperia for the PS3 is a dream.

whiskeystrike
It really is a shame that the Vita sales have been so low cause it's a fantastic piece of hardware. Hopefully Sony will announce a price drop soon and the thing can pick up some steam here. Higher user base would lead to more games being developed for it so I really hope they can get things moving in the right direction. As for the Tales announcement, would venture to guess it's gonna be Tales of Xillia 2. If there are no plans to localize the Vita games, that would be the next logical step which is just fine by me. I can't imagine them announcing an entirely new Tales game for the PS4 to the Western audience before the Japanese audience, not to mention that Japan already has Xillia 2 so for them to announce an entirely new game before we get that would seem a bit odd.
#493 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -
New poll. Check it out RPG playas.
#494 Posted by xGamePlayerx19 (378 posts) -

^Psycho Pass

whiskeystrike

A Vita Tales would definitely be nice but I'm fine with Xillia 2 as well, considering I'll like Xillia so to have the chance for the localized sequel would be great. I also agree with the other poster that mentioned this above that it would make more sense than announcing a full on new Tales for PS4 when we're all still catching up with current Tales besides Japan.

#495 Posted by SuikoGremio (117 posts) -

I would love a new Suikoden.

Or if a Square could make a new "Secret of" game.

Enix's Legend of Gaia was very unique at the time.

Those were the real gems in my experience, besides the crowd pleasers like Chono Trigger, Final Fantasy, etc.

#496 Posted by roboccs (6937 posts) -
So jacked for Tales of Xillia!
#497 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -
I would like to see Legend of Legaia on PSN
#498 Posted by starwarsjunky (24731 posts) -
I would like to see Legend of Legaia on PSN Young_Charter
yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
#499 Posted by Young_Charter (19852 posts) -
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"]I would like to see Legend of Legaia on PSN starwarsjunky

I saw it for 30.00 on amazon. I honestly might just grab it. That was a game I REALLY enjoyed. So badaasss
#500 Posted by starwarsjunky (24731 posts) -
[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="Young_Charter"]I would like to see Legend of Legaia on PSN Young_Charter

I saw it for 30.00 on amazon. I honestly might just grab it. That was a game I REALLY enjoyed. So badaasss

totally worth it. i still have my original copy :D check ebay first, you may be able to find it cheaper.