The Playstation 4 Computer Entertainment System

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jonathan512 (27 posts) -
If the Playstation 4 does support an AMD processor, it'll be similar to a PC configuration. It can therefore function as one. That would be an interesting possibility. It'll likely have the 8 core AMD FX processor. Each core having 2 128-bit SIMD units, 2 load store units, 2 instruction pipelines, 2 ALUs, 1 MB of L2 cache, and 1 MB of L3 cache. 1.7 billion transistors total. There's the possibility of it running Microsoft Office. Server software is a possibility - to function as an enterprise server. Add ons for computer peripherals, such as scanners and printers, are a possibility. A mouse and keyboard out of the box. It'll be immediately compatible with all PC software. The users will need extra furniture for the living room, like a TV dinner holder, to place the mouse and keyboard on. It'll of course also have an AMD graphics chip - likely running at 1.1 ghz, having 1280 SIMD units and 2 GB of GDDR5 memory, and being built on a 28 nm process. I estimate Wii U and Xbox 3 will be blown away.
#2 Posted by jordonj (1069 posts) -
First of all, we don't know what it will cost (if it approaches the cost of a PC, I'll go back to PC gaming, thank you). Second of all, what games will it have. In the end, a platform is only as good as the software for it. This is part of the reason that the XBox (no I don't have one) seems to have passed the PS3 in popularity (as much as it pains me to say so, a lot of games seem to run better on the 360, and for all its exclusives, there seems to be no PS3 equivalent of the Halo series). But then again, maybe it will (backwards compatibility would be nice though).
#3 Posted by Jonathan512 (27 posts) -
"Then again maybe it will." It will have what? You didn't specify. On another note - Sony has a wide range of console exclusives and partial exclusives, which we are all very familiar with, including, but not limited to: Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Killzone, Tekken, Ridge Racer, Resistance, and Uncharted. These aught to sell the system well.
#4 Posted by Megavideogamer (5545 posts) -

Sony is unlikely to release another $599.99 console. So it remains to be seen how much of a computer the Playstation 4 will actual be.

Sony seems to have taking away more features this generation with each revision. So Obris would be much of a traditional computer. Son was quick to take away Luinix support for PS3. Obris may not even have that let alone be able to run Windows 8.

#5 Posted by Jonathan512 (27 posts) -
Yes they have been taking away features. They took away Playstation 2 backwards compatibility, and the Emotion Engine, in an all-out effort to decrease the price. So much so, that a Playstation 3 with 250 GB hard drive sells for just $270.00, bundled with Uncharted 3. The Xbox360 sells for $288 with a 250 GB hard-drive - quite a radical difference considering that the Playstation 3 has 1 year more advanced hardware, including a blu-ray drive player. I even saw a Playstation 3 version for sale for just $230.00 a few months ago - but the powers that be cancelled it - too cheap for the competition. It may make a return.
#6 Posted by vforvitiello (172 posts) -

whatever you said, as long as i have over a terrabyte in memory and sixteen gigs of ram. that will be pretty good